Author Topic: A few questions I've had - A mishmash of topics...  (Read 1665 times)

Offline ariyo15

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
A few questions I've had - A mishmash of topics...
« on: May 31, 2010, 12:31:23 PM »
Sorry if this isn't in the right place, but there are a bunch of different topics covered, so I figured I'd just start a new post. Hope some of you more experienced people out there can help old newbie here out a bit!

First, is it possible for someone to reach (or maintain) elite levels in Hyatt and SPG? Also, are there hotel-style "mileage runs?"

Second - this one relates to the lifetime status on AA - is it more worthwhile to start trying to make it to lifetime status on AA even though I generally fly US and get great *A award tickets. Are the benefits of gold (or even platinum) that great? And to answer the obvious question here (preemptively), no, I'm not elite in either on my own.

Thanks so much for the help!

Ps. Is it really true that  churning days are totally over? I fear i (as a newbie) have come into the "game" a tad bit too late... Any advice?

Offline aussiebochur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
Re: A few questions I've had - A mishmash of topics...
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 01:26:05 PM »
Sorry if this isn't in the right place, but there are a bunch of different topics covered, so I figured I'd just start a new post. Hope some of you more experienced people out there can help old newbie here out a bit!

First, is it possible for someone to reach (or maintain) elite levels in Hyatt and SPG? Also, are there hotel-style "mileage runs?"

Second - this one relates to the lifetime status on AA - is it more worthwhile to start trying to make it to lifetime status on AA even though I generally fly US and get great *A award tickets. Are the benefits of gold (or even platinum) that great? And to answer the obvious question here (preemptively), no, I'm not elite in either on my own.

Thanks so much for the help!

Ps. Is it really true that  churning days are totally over? I fear i (as a newbie) have come into the "game" a tad bit too late... Any advice?
1. Status is based on stays. The term is mattress running, search it.
2. Unless you live in the air its not really that feasible to reach MM in the near future. Churning is over but if you've never had the AA cards you can still get the first sign-up bonuses.

Offline Cholentfresser

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 05:46:53 PM »
AA is the only airline that miles to lifetime status does not need to be actual flying miles but can be miles from opening new cards and earning miles via spending with their CC. so its easier to become lifetime on AA than with anyone else...
In order to understand recursion, you first need to understand recursion.

Offline YOSEF

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 08:39:02 PM »
Regarding the million miles lifer status: the question really is based on you; if you spend a lot on a business CC, I believe AA lets you earn 200K per year through the card, not including the bonuses, so if you fly them and also spend, it may be worth it.

In addition, what is the main use of your miles?  If you use them to fly domestic flights, then maybe AA is worth is, especially if you frequent the cities that tend to come up on the reduced mileage awards (calgary for example).

Each program (star alliance and AA/OW) have their own advantages.  AA allows one way awards and has amazing choices.  Star alliance is cheaper internationally and better availability and searchability which saves you alot of headache.

I would evaluate the options and make an informed decision base on YOUR needs/wants.  The best way to do that is to read the forums about peoples experiences and comments/concerns about different programs.  If you need clarification, we're here to help.

P.S. Welcome to the game!!

Offline aussiebochur

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 08:56:00 PM »
I believe AA lets you earn 200K per year through the card
The maximum number of American Airlines AAdvantage® miles you can earn from purchases using the Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® World MasterCard® and the Citi Select® / AAdvantage® American Express® card is 100,000 AAdvantage® miles per calendar year and 150,000 AAdvantage® miles per calendar year with CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Visa® card. AAdvantage® bonus miles are excluded from this mileage cap. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®, AAdvantage Platinum® and AAdvantage Gold® members are excluded from these limits.

Offline YOSEF

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 09:04:16 PM »
As aussiebochur correctly quoted, its actualy only 150K with the business card.
That being said, it also stands to mention that if you earn gold status by flying, you no longer have a cap as quoted.

Offline ariyo15

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 02:08:24 PM »
Thank you all very much for your help! I guess for my personal travels (which tend to be more international), US/*A is of much more value. Between the confused CSRs, the ANA search engine and the general ease with which I am able to continue getting great mileage deals, I think starting to build up mileage with AA/OW, just doesn't have enough value.

I use my SPG Amex and was thinking about transferring points to AA (on top of some AA bonuses I could pile up), but the fact of the matter is I am getting too good of a deal with US. Just in the last few months they've practically been giving away miles, and thanks to my father being silver preferred, that "share miles" promo was great! Considering I don't see these promos slowing down and I don't see any end to the great *A award redemptions, it's hard for me to switch over.

As far as the hotels go... I guess I'm just amazed at how Dan has managed top-tier status at (at least) two of the major chains. My focus has been on the airlines - can anyone help to fill me in on the significant advantages to (for example) SPG platinum? And while we're at it, what are the "tricks of the trade" to achieving it quickly/cheaply?

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE GREAT HELP!!!

Offline aussiebochur

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 02:37:17 PM »
As far as the hotels go... I guess I'm just amazed at how Dan has managed top-tier status at (at least) two of the major chains. My focus has been on the airlines - can anyone help to fill me in on the significant advantages to (for example) SPG platinum? And while we're at it, what are the "tricks of the trade" to achieving it quickly/cheaply?

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE GREAT HELP!!!
If you do a search you'll find plenty of info on the perks of top-tier status.
If you want Spg plat without the stays try this. ;)