Topic Wiki

The Shopping cart was invented in 1937 by Sylvan Goldman, owner of the Pigly Wigly supermarket.

It costs 2 cents to produce a penny, and 10 cents to produce a nickel.
There are 150 Billion pennys in circulation, stacked one on top of an other it would reach 60% to the moon.

The hair on average adult scalp grows 115 feet a day.

The active ingredient in most toothpastes is sodium fluoride, which can be lethal.

American Airlines saved $40,000 in 1987 by removing 1 olive from each salad served in first class.

Scientists discovered that a side effect to having a high IQ is being a night owl, Which is associated with emotional instability, in addition, night owl's are 3 times more likely to suffer from depression.

Israel is only a sixth of 1% of the landmass of the Middle East.

Around the world there are 10,000 credit card transactions done every second.

The first credit card company was Diners Club and initially it was only accepted at 14 restauraunts.
Diners Club was started in 1950 after the founder Frank X. McNamara came up with the idea when one evening after dining at a restaurant he realized he had forgotten his wallet. Within 1 year Diners Club had more than 20,000 cardmembers.

For principled reasons, Hertz Israel does not have in it's fleet any German made cars.

Israeli stamps are certified Kosher.

Under the current numbering system for Interstate highways, odd numbers generally indicate a north-south route, and even numbers mean an east-west route.

The average annual salary for a lead pastor in a megachurch (2,000+ members) is about $155,000, and can sometimes reach $400,000.

Hitler's mother contemplated abortion, But her doctor convinced her out of it.
Adolph Hitler was named Time magazine's person of the year in 1938
« Last edited by jj1000 on January 06, 2013, 01:53:10 AM »

Poll

Do you enjoy knowing interesting facts?

You bet
75 (73.5%)
No way
3 (2.9%)
Kinda
24 (23.5%)

Total Members Voted: 101

Author Topic: Did you know.... Interesting facts  (Read 91344 times)

Online TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Re: Did you know.... Interesting facts
« Reply #480 on: October 03, 2014, 01:20:54 PM »
Via whatsapp...

The Berditchiver Rebbe said on a k'vius like this year where Yom Kippor falls on Shabbos, "you are not allowed to write on Shabbos except for pikuach nefesh. Hashem follows His Torah, therefore He can only write us into the book of life since it is pikuach nefesh if He doesn't".
May we merit to have a complete and peaceful redemption this year!
Amen.

Offline Crazy tools

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Club, Avis Presidents, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Executive Elite, SPG Gold
« Reply #481 on: October 03, 2014, 01:23:45 PM »
Via whatsapp...

The Berditchiver Rebbe said on a k'vius like this year where Yom Kippor falls on Shabbos, "you are not allowed to write on Shabbos except for pikuach nefesh. Hashem follows His Torah, therefore He can only write us into the book of life since it is pikuach nefesh if He doesn't".
May we merit to have a complete and peaceful redemption this year!
cant really just sit back and relax, cuz not being written in the Book of Life may have the same effect as being written in the Book of Death  ;)

Offline meshugener

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #482 on: October 06, 2014, 04:48:38 PM »
?
What exactly don't you understand?

And I'll add anther fun fact:

Sen. John McCain can be seen in the middle of 24 5.7 acting as a CTU analyst.
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline Achas Veachas

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #483 on: January 07, 2015, 11:39:16 AM »
Suriname, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Papua New Guinea, Tonga, The United States and Palau are the only countries in the world that don't provide paid maternity leave?

Offline Toasted

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: January 07, 2015, 11:45:08 AM »
Suriname, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Papua New Guinea, Tonga, The United States and Palau are the only countries in the world that don't provide paid maternity leave?
Interesting indeed. Where did you get that list from?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Federally_mandated_maternity_leave_by_country.gif#mediaviewer/File:Federally_mandated_maternity_leave_by_country.gif

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #485 on: January 07, 2015, 11:53:20 AM »
Interesting indeed. Where did you get that list from?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Federally_mandated_maternity_leave_by_country.gif#mediaviewer/File:Federally_mandated_maternity_leave_by_country.gif

Interesting, I guess Australia doesn't either have paid leave (though they're still ahead on unpaid leave).

I got it from here:

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #486 on: January 17, 2015, 11:16:23 PM »
Fun Fact: Doc Rivers & Austin Rivers are first father & son to be on same team since Delonte West & LeBron James
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #487 on: February 09, 2015, 10:37:39 AM »
...Nixon's staffers had a speech prepared in case something went wrong with Apollo 11 stranding Armstrong and Aldrin on the moon? It was discovered in 1999 and is sometimes called "The greatest speech never given".

[Source]
Transcript

To: H. R. Haldeman

July 18, 1969.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IN EVENT OF MOON DISASTER:

Fate has ordained that the men who went to the moon to explore in peace will stay on the moon to rest in peace.

These brave men, Neil Armstrong and Edwin Aldrin, know that there is no hope for their recovery. But they also know that there is hope for mankind in their sacrifice.

These two men are laying down their lives in mankind's most noble goal: the search for truth and understanding.

They will be mourned by their families and friends; they will be mourned by the nation; they will be mourned by the people of the world; they will be mourned by a Mother Earth that dared send two of her sons into the unknown.

In their exploration, they stirred the people of the world to feel as one; in their sacrifice, they bind more tightly the brotherhood of man.

In ancient days, men looked at the stars and saw their heroes in the constellations. In modern times, we do much the same, but our heroes are epic men of flesh and blood.

Others will follow, and surely find their way home. Man's search will not be denied. But these men were the first, and they will remain the foremost in our hearts.

For every human being who looks up at the moon in the nights to come will know that there is some corner of another world that is forever mankind.

PRIOR TO THE PRESIDENT'S STATEMENT:

The President should telephone each of the widows-to-be.

AFTER THE PRESIDENT'S STATEMENT, AT THE POINT WHEN NASA ENDS COMMUNICATIONS WITH THE MEN:

A clergyman should adopt the same procedure as a burial at sea, commending their souls to "the deepest of the deep," concluding with the Lord's Prayer.

Offline YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: February 09, 2015, 11:46:55 AM »
...Nixon's staffers had a speech prepared in case something went wrong with Apollo 11 stranding Armstrong and Aldrin on the moon? It was discovered in 1999 and is sometimes called "The greatest speech never given".

[Source]
Transcript

July 18, 1969.

Fate has ordained that the men who went to the moon to explore in peace will stay on the moon to rest in peace.

These brave men, Neil Armstrong and Edwin Aldrin, know that there is no hope for their recovery. But they also know that there is hope for mankind in their sacrifice.

These two men are laying down their lives in mankind's most noble goal: the search for truth and understanding.

They will be mourned by their families and friends; they will be mourned by the nation; they will be mourned by the people of the world; they will be mourned by a Mother Earth that dared send two of her sons into the unknown.

In their exploration, they stirred the people of the world to feel as one; in their sacrifice, they bind more tightly the brotherhood of man.

In ancient days, men looked at the stars and saw their heroes in the constellations. In modern times, we do much the same, but our heroes are epic men of flesh and blood.

Others will follow, and surely find their way home. Man's search will not be denied. But these men were the first, and they will remain the foremost in our hearts.

For every human being who looks up at the moon in the nights to come will know that there is some corner of another world that is forever mankind.

AFTER THE PRESIDENT'S STATEMENT, AT THE POINT WHEN NASA ENDS COMMUNICATIONS WITH THE MEN:

A clergyman should adopt the same procedure as a burial at sea, commending their souls to "the deepest of the deep," concluding with the Lord's Prayer.
Fascinating! I can just wonder if this was perhaps the only speech prepared. The idea of a successful moon landing was so farfetched (at the time) that I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't anticipate success. That's just my personal feeling (obviously).

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #489 on: February 09, 2015, 11:53:47 AM »
Fascinating! I can just wonder if this was perhaps the only speech prepared. The idea of a successful moon landing was so farfetched (at the time) that I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't anticipate success. That's just my personal feeling (obviously).
I actually found out about it from today's XKCD comic where he put a few more (parody) speeches :P

Offline JoeCha

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis President's Club, Expedia+ Silver
« Reply #490 on: February 25, 2015, 05:32:47 PM »
Unmarried women are not allowed to parachute on Sundays in Florida.
"There is no such thing as bad whiskey. Some whiskeys just happen to be better than others" ― William Faulkner

Offline Freddie

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: February 25, 2015, 05:39:31 PM »
I think it's interesting that their "poskim" (lehavdil) decided that being stranded on the moon was in the geder of burial at sea.

Is "deepest of the deep' a reference to "bimtzulos yam"?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 05:43:36 PM by Freddie »

Offline JoeCha

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis President's Club, Expedia+ Silver
« Reply #492 on: February 25, 2015, 05:43:06 PM »
It is illegal to die in the British Houses of Parliament
"There is no such thing as bad whiskey. Some whiskeys just happen to be better than others" ― William Faulkner

Online etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #493 on: February 25, 2015, 08:09:33 PM »
It is illegal to die in the British Houses of Parliament
And anyone who breaks that law receives capital punishment
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline good sam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: February 25, 2015, 08:15:23 PM »

[Source]
Transcript

July 18, 1969.

Bill Safire was Nixon's speechwriter before he went on to become one of the best-known columnists in America. He's the best of the best.
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #495 on: February 25, 2015, 09:17:36 PM »

Bill Safire was Nixon's speechwriter before he went on to become one of the best-known columnists in America. He's the best of the best.
I don't know about the rest of you but that speech would have moved me to tears had it been said...

Offline Freddie

• View Profile
« Reply #496 on: February 25, 2015, 09:21:04 PM »
I don't know about the rest of you but that speech would have moved me to tears had it been said...
Only if they would play David Bowie's Space Oddity in the background while Nixon said the speech.

Ahh! I have CHILLS!

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #497 on: February 25, 2015, 09:23:40 PM »
Only if they would play David Bowie's Space Oddity in the background while Nixon said the speech.

Ahh! I have CHILLS!
Now where do I know that tune from? :P

Offline Freddie

• View Profile
« Reply #498 on: February 25, 2015, 09:34:35 PM »
And now I will treat you to what is one of my top 5 videos of the entire youtube.

Online TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: February 25, 2015, 09:41:33 PM »
And now I will treat you to what is one of my top 5 videos of the entire youtube.

Care to share the other 4 ?