Author Topic: my wife's mother{SHVIGGER} is Israeli citizen, ramifications?  (Read 4985 times)

Offline upside down

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Re: my wife's mother{SHVIGGER} is Israeli citizen, ramifications?
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2018, 09:25:32 PM »
For the record, a revoked citizen can have a big problem getting a student visa in Israel.
Bumping an old thread. I am looking to cancel the Israeli citizenship of my 5 year old son born in Israel. Firstly can anyone confirm the above comment? Does Israel not give a student visa to an American citizen that canceled his original Israeli citizenship?
2) Secondly, even if the above is true, I assume that a ~20 year old boy going to be a student in Israel that did not cancel his Israeli citizenship would not be in any better position. Is that accurate?
Thank you

PS Has anyone been down this road of canceling an Israeli citizenship in New York that knows of any askan or someone who knows the system and can provide accurate information on how to get it done?

Offline 12HRS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2018, 12:58:13 AM »
Can I ask why you want to do this?

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2018, 07:32:36 AM »
+1
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline upside down

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2018, 08:36:52 AM »
i see no advantages to having the citizenship, only potential complications. There are no benefits to it that a regular American citizen doesn't have and every time I try to enter israel they make me crazy about getting a teuhdat zehut. Also there can be issues in the future with the army.
Is there any reason to keep it?

Offline s054

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2018, 03:51:35 PM »
I'm living in Israel for 10 years as an American citizen, and don't have any plan on ever making citizenship. Too many potential problems, and I can get almost all the benefits with a student visa that Israeli citizens can get.  You can even get a student visa with permission to work (a new thing from 5 years ago), so anyone who learns part time can really get a student visa.

There is no reason to keep it, except for some minor things like free tourist visa for Israelis to russia vs. the $180 fee for US citizens. You can always reapply for citizenship if you ever move to Israel and want it. See

http://www.coolideaz.com/2015/08/citizenship-be-gone.html

He describes the whole process and his experience renouncing citizenship. I recommend doing it ASAP, since the government is actively trying to force chareidi draft, through stages, and may make it much more difficult to renounce in the future. Also , each renouncement application has to be reviewed by the Minister of the Interior, currently Aryeh Deri, who I would not expect to be too stubborn about it. The government and ministers may change soon.

"For the record, a revoked citizen can have a big problem getting a student visa in Israel." Nonsense, I never heard of any problem like that.

There may be a misunderstanding between "revoked" and "renouncing". A person whose citizenship is revoked is usually due to terrorism, etc., and can understandably have problems getting a visa. Though I hope nobody here has that problem!

Renouncing is declaring the want not to be a citizen, for instance, due to permanent residence being abroad without any plan of coming back as a citizen.
This would not be interpreted as hostile to Israel, so there should be no problem getting a student visa, to the contrary, Israel would want to issue a visa, hoping that the student will settle in israel and eventually want to become a citizen again.

Is your son really an Israeli citizen or was he just born in israel to foreign parents? A child born to foreign parents does not get automatic citizenship. This is how the law has been for about 20 years.

Offline a good yeshiva bachur

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2018, 03:57:19 PM »
ok so while we are in this thread. i am an israeli citizen and will be entering on my israeli passport. my wife is not and will be entering on her american passport (same name). do i need to get my son an israeli passport or just have him enter on the american side with his american passport. potential ramification being a need to get a passport for him while on the trip.
Why don’t you let your wife and kid go through the American side and you go through the Israeli side?

Offline shapsam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2018, 06:35:49 PM »
Bumping an old thread. I am looking to cancel the Israeli citizenship of my 5 year old son born in Israel. Firstly can anyone confirm the above comment? Does Israel not give a student visa to an American citizen that canceled his original Israeli citizenship?
2) Secondly, even if the above is true, I assume that a ~20 year old boy going to be a student in Israel that did not cancel his Israeli citizenship would not be in any better position. Is that accurate?
Thank you
If you don't live in Israel there's no problem with the army even if you learn there.

Offline ludmila

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Diamond,Marriott Platinum,SPG Platinum.
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2018, 01:41:21 AM »
If you don't live in Israel there's no problem with the army even if you learn there.
+1
I was the Best,still the Best, and will always be the Best.
Pele Good,Maradona Better, George Best.

Offline ADG

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2018, 05:29:36 PM »
Is this the right place to ask about SHVIGER ramifications in general?  :P

Online moko

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2018, 05:50:55 PM »
Both of my parents are Israeli and I got a student visa. Never registered as an Israeli and never renounced citizenship