Author Topic: Miami Airport Car Rentals  (Read 10591 times)

Offline yossi4k

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis President's Club National Executive Elite Sixt Platinum
Re: Miami Airport Car Rentals
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2013, 09:26:08 PM »
Okay thank you sky121, I appreciate that.

Does anyone know if the free upgrade is guaranteed, if I order a full size will I be able to get a standard SUV, (which I think is the next level)?

When I put in my dates the total came out to be $157 which is more then fox and sixt, but if I can get the free upgrade it's worth it.

Thanks

P.S. Someone mentioned before that national is not trustworthy and a lot of times doesn't have cars, my flight gets into MIA about 10:30pm, and I am traveling with two kids so the last thing I need is to not have a car available.
Upgrades are never guaranteed. Their always based on availability. Also the next size up from full size is premium, not SUV def not standard SUV maybe you can get a compact SUV.
National is as reliable as Avis, Hertz etc ..they're one of the standard rental companies.

Offline golan

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2013, 10:54:37 PM »
i rent with national all the time. Once your a member what u reserve doesnt really make a diff. just go the emerald sec and take the car u want. (u can really just take any car and they let it through). the locations i'm familiar with are ewr, lga, dtw, bwi, phl,

Offline Mutty

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA Lifetime Gold; PC Platinum; AccurHotels Platinum; National Executive; Marriot Silver Elite; Hilton Gold; SPG Gold; Hertz #1 Club Gold 5 Star; SixT Platinum; Avis First
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2013, 11:01:12 PM »
Huh? What do you mean take whatever car you want instead of what you reserved?
“You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?”

Offline Mutty

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA Lifetime Gold; PC Platinum; AccurHotels Platinum; National Executive; Marriot Silver Elite; Hilton Gold; SPG Gold; Hertz #1 Club Gold 5 Star; SixT Platinum; Avis First
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2013, 11:02:36 PM »

P.S. Someone mentioned before that national is not trustworthy and a lot of times doesn't have cars, my flight gets into MIA about 10:30pm, and I am traveling with two kids so the last thing I need is to not have a car available.

Anyone know if the above is true? I thought National was a "National" brand.
“You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?”

Offline golan

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2013, 11:11:37 PM »
national is just like avis and hertz like someone mentioned nothing to worry about.

Offline golan

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2013, 11:16:11 PM »
Huh? What do you mean take whatever car you want instead of what you reserved?
Well its like this , by national the whole rental is processed by the gate when you leave. You give them a slip from inside the car and they see what section its from. many times if you speak to the guys hangin around the lot if you can take a certain car he will say yes. And then if the gate agent says you have the wrong car you say so and so said its ok....i never had an issue rented over 6o times with them.

if any one is going to sign up with national i have a link that if you sign up through i would benefit, thanks

Offline Mutty

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2013, 11:31:19 PM »
So I still don't know what to do. I need a car at MIA. I don't want to get stuck without one from an unreliable company. The Fox, Advantage, etc. prices are much lower but is it worth not getting a car when you arrive late at night. So, please, if anyone can recommend which way to go here's what I need. Arriving MIA 2/21 at 6:30pm so need it figure at 7pm. Leaving 2/25 with 9:30pm flight so figure return by 8:30pm. I am a National Executive member, Gold with Hertz. If anyone knows where I can get better status please let me know. And of course who should I go with. National was around 210. Enterprise through Chabad was more. Thanks

Offline golan

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2013, 11:42:56 PM »
i got 165 from national if you return it at the time u pick up ( 7pm ) btw based on you flight info i would do 730 all around, it takes long time to get to and from rental place

Offline Mutty

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2013, 10:40:35 AM »
Do you know how much leeway they give you if you say you're bringing it back at 7;30 and show up at 8?

Offline yossi4k

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2013, 11:06:45 AM »
Do you know how much leeway they give you if you say you're bringing it back at 7;30 and show up at 8?
Most rental companies will give you a 29 minute grace period

Offline jake

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2013, 04:47:10 PM »
Well its like this , by national the whole rental is processed by the gate when you leave. You give them a slip from inside the car and they see what section its from. many times if you speak to the guys hangin around the lot if you can take a certain car he will say yes. And then if the gate agent says you have the wrong car you say so and so said its ok....i never had an issue rented over 6o times with them.

if any one is going to sign up with national i have a link that if you sign up through i would benefit, thanks

@Golan Have you ever tried this at MIA?

Offline golan

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2013, 07:32:31 PM »
nope but i had a compact reservation for 12.50 a day and took a gmc suv this past weekend

Offline caveman924

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2013, 12:57:17 AM »
Bid using priceline. It always works for me. Last time I used them I bid on a small car and got an SUV at the rental agency. There is a trick that works usually in MIA during busy season when using priceline. Always bid on the second smallest size (I forgot the exact name for the size), they never seem to have them at most major MIA car rental agencies and I always get upgraded to whatever I want. The only agency I have never had this work with is Enterprise, they always have the small cars.

Be warned though, this is NOT a guarantee, some agencies will make sure that what you order is what you get, others just take reservations and will give you whatever they have.

Also some agencies have lot attendants who basically just stand there and point you to your car, sometimes if you ask nice they will just upgrade you....however keep in mind that they expect a tip for doing this...$10-20 works great and makes them happy and usually they'll walk you to a nicer car with a bigger tip.

Offline RT

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2013, 11:48:51 PM »
Bid using priceline. It always works for me. Last time I used them I bid on a small car and got an SUV at the rental agency. There is a trick that works usually in MIA during busy season when using priceline. Always bid on the second smallest size (I forgot the exact name for the size), they never seem to have them at most major MIA car rental agencies and I always get upgraded to whatever I want. The only agency I have never had this work with is Enterprise, they always have the small cars.

Be warned though, this is NOT a guarantee, some agencies will make sure that what you order is what you get, others just take reservations and will give you whatever they have.

Also some agencies have lot attendants who basically just stand there and point you to your car, sometimes if you ask nice they will just upgrade you....however keep in mind that they expect a tip for doing this...$10-20 works great and makes them happy and usually they'll walk you to a nicer car with a bigger tip.
Cash (almost) always gets people to do what you want ;)

Offline MIKEW

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2013, 11:57:13 AM »
which cc has insurance coverage for rentals  starwood?  sapphire preferred visa?

Offline yossi4k

• View Profile
Re: Re: Miami Airport Car Rentals
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2013, 12:21:30 PM »
which cc has insurance coverage for rentals  starwood?  sapphire preferred visa?
basically every one

Offline golan

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2013, 01:29:21 PM »
basically every one
of course using the chase your better off (primary)

Offline robi

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2013, 02:04:01 PM »
of course using the chase your better off (primary)
only the UMPE
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, then loved for who I'm not"

Offline Mimi K.

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2013, 07:58:31 PM »
My Friend got a parking ticket in Miami on a rental from Budget.
Should he pay it?  :-\
Does anyone have experience w/ budget or Miami in particular?
"Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Free Stuff!" 8)

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2013, 08:11:22 PM »
My Friend got a parking ticket in Miami on a rental from Budget.
Should he pay it?  :-\
Does anyone have experience w/ budget or Miami in particular?

Yes, he should pay it. Or Budget will charge him later on plus a fee perhaps.
"Not all who wander are lost"