Author Topic: Hebrew National being sued for not being kosher  (Read 18108 times)

Offline steve2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Hebrew National being sued for not being kosher
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2013, 03:20:07 PM »
 jj why the silence all of a sudden? I for sure thought youd answer me why a Yeshiva Guy can have a drink in the places that serve treif food when wearing a Shabbos suit and Black hat on, being on a date yet its Not allowed to when stopping at a rest area on a Thruway or any BK anywhere Can you please explain to Dummy me why its not allowed at a BK but its AOK to at The River Cafe

But you still havent Apologized for saying I was over miras ayin when you have no idea who I am , what I was wearing, and what I look like and looked like at Bens

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2013, 03:26:31 PM »
Trust me it took me awhile before I decided to make the post as I promised myself not to and as you know I stuck to it. Its just it takes a ton of ___ to accuse a person of doing something when the accuser wasnt there and has no idea what the heck they are talking about. But just wanted to Bash me for Bashing sake

The old adtage is still front and center; Common sense is anything but Common (not referring to what you just posted)
I'm glad you think I have ___, but I was merely making an observation based on what I read. It was a far cry from bashing. I wouldn't say I have no idea what I am talking about being that I gave you an exact place to look up the halacha. Either way you asked your rav and I know what my rabaim have always taught me, so arguing is a bit futile. As for a hotel lobby it is a public area where many people only order drinks. A bar is permitted a restaurant is not. To mu knowledge it would most probably get into the discussion of gavra verse cheftza. The primary purpose of a hotel is to get a room, a bar is to drink, so people seeing you there would assume you are doing one of those. The primary purpose of a restaurant is to order food. If this restaurant is treif then it is maras ayin to be in there.

I would be interested what your rav would say about that letter by Reb Moshe.

jj why the silence all of a sudden? I for sure thought youd answer me why a Yeshiva Guy can have a drink in the places that serve treif food when wearing a Shabbos suit and Black hat on, being on a date yet its Not allowed to when stopping at a rest area on a Thruway or any BK anywhere Can you please explain to Dummy me why its not allowed at a BK but its AOK to at The River Cafe

But you still havent Apologized for saying I was over miras ayin when you have no idea who I am , what I was wearing, and what I look like and looked like at Bens
a feisty one you are. Patience is a virtue. I do apologize if you feel it was lashon hara/in your opinion motzei shem ra.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 03:38:33 PM by jj1000 »
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Shmelly

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2013, 03:45:36 PM »
The primary purpose of a hotel is to get a room
So why wouldn't hotel lobbies be considered maris ayin? Is it because you assume that everyone assumes you are married? Isn't maris ayain for other jews, not goyim? (All strictly curious questions, I know zero about this.)
You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. - Dr. Seuss

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2013, 03:50:05 PM »
So why wouldn't hotel lobbies be considered maris ayin? Is it because you assume that everyone assumes you are married? Isn't maris ayain for other jews, not goyim? (All strictly curious questions, I know zero about this.)
A lobby/lounge is a place where people go for drinks. That is the or a primary purpose. Also I wouldn't be surprised if there is a more modern halacha explaining that since the idea of dating in a hotel lobby is so common it is no issue at all. As oppose to a restaurant which only really has one purpose- to eat.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2013, 04:20:41 PM »
I'm glad you think I have ___, but I was merely making an observation based on what I read. It was a far cry from bashing. I wouldn't say I have no idea what I am talking about being that I gave you an exact place to look up the halacha. Either way you asked your rav and I know what my rabaim have always taught me, so arguing is a bit futile. As for a hotel lobby it is a public area where many people only order drinks. A bar is permitted a restaurant is not. To mu knowledge it would most probably get into the discussion of gavra verse cheftza. The primary purpose of a hotel is to get a room, a bar is to drink, so people seeing you there would assume you are doing one of those. The primary purpose of a restaurant is to order food. If this restaurant is treif then it is maras ayin to be in there.

I would be interested what your rav would say about that letter by Reb Moshe.
 a feisty one you are. Patience is a virtue. I do apologize if you feel it was lashon hara/in your opinion motzei shem ra.

You did post" I like how craz wont eat treif but has no qualms about maras ayin" my friend how is that anything but calling me out and bashing me?? Ive been off this site for yrs its you guys who for some unknown reason have a need to keep bringing me up again and again. Yes my FT handle was mentioned in the story (I wasnt interviewed for it , had I been I never would have allowed anything to be written, thats just how I am and how I reacted any time any person contacted me who was doing an article on something no real names can be used nor my handle of cause Im useless to them then (maybe useless under any condition) but thats their problem I seek no publicity.   There wasnt a need to comment especially if a person wasnt there and doesnt know the 1st thing about me. That said Apology Accepted but please be careful going forward when saying anything about anyone

2- I hear ya about the difference between a bar maybe lounge is a better word and a hotel lobby. But many people at least in my time went to treif restaurants and had only drinks Im talking about Yeshiva people . True The River Cafe had an outside area where they wanted to stick the Yeshivish crowd but in my day folks were placed there as well if they werent have a full course dinner but were eating something. Many times at WoTW the people at the table next to me were eating a full dinner, yet almost every time I was there we had enough for a minyan.

before Lakewood got its 1st kosher Dunkin if you went into any Dunkin just outside of LW youd always run into a person sitting and having a coffee (I guess either black or they drink Halav Stam) and Dunkins have treif.

Over the yrs Ive discussed it with a number of Ravs, my Rav perse can no longer discuss it with anyone Unfortuately, he was Niftar

So if the primary reason of a Hotel is to get a room how can anyone go to a Hotel lobby on a date, least people seeing them think they are staying there or if they hit it off will get a room.A frum person will know whats happening but a non-religious person or goy probably wouldnt. Wouldnt that be miras ayin? yet the whole Olam goes I bet you if BK was a 5* place youd see them packing it in there as well. Its just youre not about to tell the girl when she asks where youre going a BK, but telling her WoTW thats AOK or any 5* treif restaurant that will serve them. I know you said a restaurant isnt Ok but youre talking to a wall when it comes to where people do actually go. Again they dont go to a BK simply since its not fancy, nor will they go to a Kosher Pizza store to get something to eat on that 1st date, it has to be a fancy place to make the stupid impression and to let her think you have Class (not you personally)

But back to Bens AFAIK Bens does not serve treif nor anything milchig, so therefore theres no case of maris ayin when it comes to Bens and thats what started the ball rolling. And I bet you anything had you walked in no way would you have said even to yourself when seeing me hey thats a frum guy sitting over there whats hes doing in here, after all,  those at my table didnt even think I was Jewish yet be a frum person

Offline Drago

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2013, 04:21:59 PM »
Please stay Steve2!!
Ever since Meshugener became domesticated, we've been missing a firebrand to stir things up.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2013, 04:30:56 PM »
Please stay Steve2!!
Ever since Meshugener became domesticated, we've been missing a firebrand to stir things up.

I thought I was the Meshugener who let someone else take my title, hey at least no one took the handle Idiot or Dummy or Stupid yet so I can still sleep well at night

Offline Jkhein

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2013, 04:41:13 PM »
You did post" I like how craz wont eat treif but has no qualms about maras ayin" my friend how is that anything but calling me out and bashing me?? Ive been off this site for yrs its you guys who for some unknown reason have a need to keep bringing me up again and again. Yes my FT handle was mentioned in the story (I wasnt interviewed for it , had I been I never would have allowed anything to be written, thats just how I am and how I reacted any time any person contacted me who was doing an article on something no real names can be used nor my handle of cause Im useless to them then (maybe useless under any condition) but thats their problem I seek no publicity.   There wasnt a need to comment especially if a person wasnt there and doesnt know the 1st thing about me. That said Apology Accepted but please be careful going forward when saying anything about anyone
may I just add, that just like you did not like that you were mentioned without permission, I believe you also made a mention above, of a member here, that would rather you not, unless you did get his permission.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2013, 04:45:16 PM »
 JFK-LAX on UA ps flight Lunch is serevd being in Biz (RPUed) I decline the menu when it was being out. Time for the FA to take the orders she said I guess you know what you want since you didnt look at the menu or is it you arent going to eat today. I said if I eat or not depends on you not me, boy was she puzzled.

I then explained that I ordered a special meal. She replied I only have 1 special meal aboard its a kosher meal for the Rabbi in the row behind me on my right. Then asks what type of meal did you order, I said a kosher meal. She said well maybe theres another 1 but why would you order a kosher meal. She went to check and when she returned she said, nope I have only 1 special meal and its that kosher 1 I mentioned to you.But I just learnt never to assume anything, when i pulled it out it had your name and seat on it and not that Rabbis behind you. She did ask why I ordered it and I told her I happen to be a religious Jew just like that Rabbi, she said she couldnt tell and didnt even think I was Jewish thusly why she asked why I ordered a ksml

So if anyone here was on the 11:30am flight back on 12/18 JFK-LAX that was me in my reg seat 9B soon to be extremely missed as the planes are redone. For FT sake why cant they keep the planes as is and get rid of KoshAir as the KSML vendor instead. And that meal having my name on it cost me $200, thats what UA gives me everytime in a cert when they mess up my meal or its not boarded

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2013, 04:48:49 PM »
get rid of KoshAir as the KSML vendor instead.
Martin Hand, SVP Customer Experience:
martin.hand@united.com

He's a PMCO guy and seemed very receptive to listening to kosher issues from our conversations at the UA DO.  Hearing how PMCO had it right w/r/t KSMLs will probably please him :D
He'd said he'd love to get feedback at that email.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2013, 04:53:16 PM »
may I just add, that just like you did not like that you were mentioned without permission, I believe you also made a mention above, of a member here, that would rather you not, unless you did get his permission.

???  I said something against another member on this site now? Canarise (Brian) wrote things nothing that he wrote was an attack on me or meant in any ill way I have no problems with his saying I was at Bens or anywhere if I was there I said if I was asked if it could be mentioned I would have said I preferred not but hold nothing against him for mentioning my handle as he did and meant to say that unlike many folks I dont seek out having my name or pic or handle mentioned in the public media. I prefer staying under the radar and in my corner

Offline Jkhein

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2013, 04:56:37 PM »
I prefer staying under the radar and in my corner
no, nothing against anyone, but so do others.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2013, 05:02:50 PM »
Martin Hand, SVP Customer Experience:
martin.hand@united.com

He's a PMCO guy and seemed very receptive to listening to kosher issues from our conversations at the UA DO.  Hearing how PMCO had it right w/r/t KSMLs will probably please him :D
He'd said he'd love to get feedback at that email.

will do but Ive spoken to many over the yrs even Scott after the merge was announced hoping KA would be history once and for all Unfortuantely it still lives but then again it provides me with close to $2k a yr in certs will be interseting to see what I end up on my JFK-LAX-NRT-HKG-SIN-NRT-LAX-JFK trip the end of Jan,22k for $800 out of pocket You dont have to worry about me taking up a Biz award seat although JFK-LAX & LAX-JFK were RPUed as was HKG-SIN w/o using anything NRT-HKG I doubt CPU will clear down to 1 seat but got 21C Exit aisle  The LAX-NRT, NRT-HKG, NRT-LAX are CO coded I believe so maybe it wont be KA as PMUA served, will find out the hard way

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2013, 05:05:37 PM »
no, nothing against anyone, but so do others.

guess Im alittle too thick today , would apprecaite it if you would be so kind as to send me a PM explaining what you meant in your previous post. It seems to have gone right over my head and I obviously didnt fully comprehend what you were referring to

Offline Drago

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2013, 05:11:33 PM »
guess Im alittle too thick today , would apprecaite it if you would be so kind as to send me a PM explaining what you meant in your previous post. It seems to have gone right over my head and I obviously didnt fully comprehend what you were referring to
You wrote about a different DDF member who you saw there.

His shidduch chances could go down the drain now if he's still single. Otherwise, his kids can kiss a good shidduch goodbye. :)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2013, 05:13:20 PM »
will do but Ive spoken to many over the yrs even Scott after the merge was announced hoping KA would be history once and for all Unfortuantely it still lives but then again it provides me with close to $2k a yr in certs will be interseting to see what I end up on my JFK-LAX-NRT-HKG-SIN-NRT-LAX-JFK trip the end of Jan,22k for $800 out of pocket You dont have to worry about me taking up a Biz award seat although JFK-LAX & LAX-JFK were RPUed as was HKG-SIN w/o using anything NRT-HKG I doubt CPU will clear down to 1 seat but got 21C Exit aisle  The LAX-NRT, NRT-HKG, NRT-LAX are CO coded I believe so maybe it wont be KA as PMUA served, will find out the hard way
You'll still get $200 certs but this way when they do have your meal it will be halfway edible.
IAH-HNL seems to be a black hole for KSMLs in case you're short on vouchers.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2013, 05:23:41 PM »
JFK-LAX on UA ps flight Lunch is serevd being in Biz (RPUed) I decline the menu when it was being out. Time for the FA to take the orders she said I guess you know what you want since you didnt look at the menu or is it you arent going to eat today. I said if I eat or not depends on you not me, boy was she puzzled.

I then explained that I ordered a special meal. She replied I only have 1 special meal aboard its a kosher meal for the Rabbi in the row behind me on my right. Then asks what type of meal did you order, I said a kosher meal. She said well maybe theres another 1 but why would you order a kosher meal. She went to check and when she returned she said, nope I have only 1 special meal and its that kosher 1 I mentioned to you.But I just learnt never to assume anything, when i pulled it out it had your name and seat on it and not that Rabbis behind you. She did ask why I ordered it and I told her I happen to be a religious Jew just like that Rabbi, she said she couldnt tell and didnt even think I was Jewish thusly why she asked why I ordered a ksml

So if anyone here was on the 11:30am flight back on 12/18 JFK-LAX that was me in my reg seat 9B soon to be extremely missed as the planes are redone. For FT sake why cant they keep the planes as is and get rid of KoshAir as the KSML vendor instead. And that meal having my name on it cost me $200, thats what UA gives me everytime in a cert when they mess up my meal or its not boarded

the pt of this was to explain that if Im correct in order for there to be a case of maris ayin the person seeing me would have to ID me as  being Jewish (even if I was a non-religious Jew it would be m.y) so at Bens that wasnt the case nor by the Clubs.Ive never been Bageled when Im not wearing a Black hat or a Yamulka. yet many times those next to me who were dressed noticably were Bageled. Ive been passed by and the person next to me was Bageled, and even when the person was wearing a cap of some kind were Bageled yet I wasnt wearing a baseball cap

so when anyone wishes to Bash me please dont look at how you go about dressed or even if you are wearing a baseball cap what you look like . Its very possible for you to look Jewish or a Frum Jew even when dressed down and wearing a baseball cap and be a walking billboard that does NOT apply to everyone else, nor do I go out of my way to not look the part that was the purpose of the post to show how even an FA had no idea, and how those at Bens had no idea and couldnt understand why I wasnt eating or drinking anything and for the record I PMed that to Dovster before going to ask if he thought it would be a problem, in turn w/o asking me he asked Bens and they told him No Problem (it was Dovsters meet) I wouldnt simply just take up a seat in any restaruant Especially during their Peak time of Lunch hour w/o having cleared it 1st

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2013, 05:33:22 PM »
You'll still get $200 certs but this way when they do have your meal it will be halfway edible.
IAH-HNL seems to be a black hole for KSMLs in case you're short on vouchers.

Its IAD-HNL this Sun back on Weds cant stay Thurs night due to dateline question back into NY @3pm and then off to LA for Shabbos Fri @ 5am via IAH hey for $52 I couldnt hold back! 6k+ EQMs, my HNL return is yep you know it HNL-LAX-JFK It wouldnt have been so bad if it was the ps flight back to the left coast, but my friends already told me the other Shabbos they will fully understand if I bench after the soup and hit the hay, the problem will be explaining to the kids why  this time we cant play till Shabbos afternoon

Offline Drago

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2013, 05:35:08 PM »
@Steve2
Great having you back. However, any chance you could throw in a few more periods and capital letters into your posts to make them easier on the eyes?

Offline myb821

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2013, 05:36:30 PM »
Its IAD-HNL this Sun back on Weds cant stay Thurs night due to dateline question back into NY @3pm and then off to LA for Shabbos Fri @ 5am via IAH hey for $52 I couldnt hold back! 6k+ EQMs, my HNL return is yep you know it HNL-LAX-JFK It wouldnt have been so bad if it was the ps flight back to the left coast, but my friends already told me the other Shabbos they will fully understand if I bench after the soup and hit the hay, the problem will be explaining to the kids why  this time we cant play till Shabbos afternoon
that trip for $52 explain