Topic Wiki

4 restaurants in town: :)

https://cafeeighteen.com/

https://www.milkywaypgh.com/

On CMU campus  (May be closed when CMU is not in session) -

TAHINI (Falafel/Shawarma) - https://apps.studentaffairs.cmu.edu/dining/conceptinfo/?page=conceptDetails&conceptId=82

THE EDGE CAFE (Bagels, Wraps and Pizza) - https://apps.studentaffairs.cmu.edu/dining/conceptinfo/?page=conceptDetails&conceptId=178

The ultimate list of closed PIT kosher eateries...

These kosher restaurants, bakeries, and ice cream stores in and around Squirrel Hill have all closed in the time since I went to high school there:
1. Leibel's
2. King David
3. Yacov's
4. Simple Treat
5. Platters
6. Golden China
7. Meating Place
8. Sari's
9. Susheli
10. Cafe M
11. Pinati's
12. Rolladin
13. Mordy's Cafe at the JCC
14. Sweet Tammy's on Murray
15. Sweet Tammy's at the JCC
16. Sweet Tammy's in Larimer
17. Aaron and Ari's.
18. Milky Way Oakland/Campus.
19. Grilliance (now open for take out every Tuesday. Email order 1 day in advance to: grilliance1@gmail.com)
20. Phil and Bills Ice Cream
21. Cafe 18 Dairy.
22. TARTAN EXPRESS - ASIAN FUSION

Driving from NY area to Pittsburgh:
2 routes: PA Turnpike ($20 in tolls) or I-78 to I-76 (no tolls), similar times, I-78 might be a little longer
Things to do on the way:
- Crayola Factory
- Cabelas store (Hamburg) - has lots of taxidermy and an aquarium
- Hershey Park
- Dutch Wonderland
- Cherry Cress Farms - corn maze, lots of activities
- Paulus Farm Market - petting zoo
- 7 Springs - alpine slide
- Flight 93 Memorial (Somerset)

Author Topic: Pittsburgh Master Thread  (Read 86477 times)

Offline CS1

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • California Gourmet Premium Chocolate
  • Programs: DDSLA, DDSCLE, Bonvoy Titanium Feb 2025
Re: Pittsburgh Master Thread
« Reply #100 on: October 27, 2014, 11:58:31 AM »
The only cities it really makes a difference is lax and sfo, prices there are 40% less than the east coast.

so LAX > PIT will work via United and/or American - usually one flight nonstop per day
California Gourmet Belgian Nut-Free Chocolate Chips https://bit.ly/CaliforniaGourmetDirect

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 27, 2014, 12:07:49 PM »
I don't think that is correct. I believe that you just connect through Midway.

Please correct if I am wrong.
My mistake! I flew recently and just now thought it was with SW, but I checked my emails and it was US. Sorry.

Offline CS1

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 27, 2014, 12:16:42 PM »
My mistake! I flew recently and just now thought it was with SW, but I checked my emails and it was US. Sorry.

SW has great rates LAX > PIT. Sometimes only 12,000 - 16,000 RT.
The stopover (at DFW or PHX, ATL is annoying after an overseas trip, (and you can take the day and eat out in sunny LA).
I see 10,000 SW points for one way available now here: http://www.southwest.com/flight/select-flight.html?displayOnly=&disc=pdc%3A1D906A6D63344076957197C7E448C495&int=)
After a HKG trip you may or may not want the one-stop, but it's usually smooth --  ime, i recommend the warmer stopovers in January = less risk of icing/delay
California Gourmet Belgian Nut-Free Chocolate Chips https://bit.ly/CaliforniaGourmetDirect

Offline Yaalili

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 27, 2014, 02:17:18 PM »
Thanks to all of you, but I am flying from hkg.

Try posting in either the paid or award travel help master thread. Include dates.

Offline Adam101

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 07, 2014, 11:13:05 AM »
Anyone know of R' moshe siebzener of poalei tzedek? Does kosher catering.  Any word?

Offline CS1

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 07, 2014, 12:25:38 PM »
Anyone know of R' moshe siebzener of poalei tzedek? Does kosher catering.  Any word?

Yes. Great taste and presentation. The company is called Creative Kosher Catering.
Certified Kosher -- Vaad of Pittsburgh.

Offline Mutty

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA Lifetime Gold; PC Platinum; AccurHotels Platinum; National Executive; Marriot Silver Elite; Hilton Gold; SPG Gold; Hertz #1 Club Gold 5 Star; SixT Platinum; Avis First
« Reply #106 on: November 19, 2014, 11:29:32 AM »
I have a friend that will be going to the University of Pittsburgh hospital next month for surgery and I'm thinking of visiting and staying over for one night. Anyone know if it's near airport, do I need a car, I have a free Marriot night - is there one near the hospital, any food to be gotten, any minyan, I have AA and Avios miles - flights? Don't know exact dates but around the 7th. Any help would be appreciated.
“You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?”

Offline CS1

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 19, 2014, 11:52:21 AM »
I have a friend that will be going to the University of Pittsburgh hospital next month for surgery and I'm thinking of visiting and staying over for one night. Anyone know if it's near airport, do I need a car, I have a free Marriot night - is there one near the hospital, any food to be gotten, any minyan, I have AA and Avios miles - flights? Don't know exact dates but around the 7th. Any help would be appreciated.

There are two within walking distance. The Courtyard by Marriott may be closer and cheaper. There is also a Residence Inn.
This one is practically across the street from Shadyside Hospital. Where is the surgery? Most locations are 10-12 minutes from the Kosher Restaurant ('scene') street.
Link to Shadyside Marriott location:http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/pitok-courtyard-pittsburgh-shadyside/

Offline Mutty

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA Lifetime Gold; PC Platinum; AccurHotels Platinum; National Executive; Marriot Silver Elite; Hilton Gold; SPG Gold; Hertz #1 Club Gold 5 Star; SixT Platinum; Avis First
« Reply #108 on: November 19, 2014, 06:54:35 PM »
There are two within walking distance. The Courtyard by Marriott may be closer and cheaper. There is also a Residence Inn.
This one is practically across the street from Shadyside Hospital. Where is the surgery? Most locations are 10-12 minutes from the Kosher Restaurant ('scene') street.
Link to Shadyside Marriott location:http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/pitok-courtyard-pittsburgh-shadyside/
Is the University of Pittsburgh hospital near this Shadyside hospital? I guess when I know more I'll ask again. If I rent a car (btw, who should I rent from) I don't mind the 10-12 minutes. Then again, if I'm there only one night I could just find a supermarket and nosh it. Thanks
“You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?”

Offline CS1

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 19, 2014, 07:29:31 PM »
Is the University of Pittsburgh hospital near this Shadyside hospital? I guess when I know more I'll ask again. If I rent a car (btw, who should I rent from) I don't mind the 10-12 minutes. Then again, if I'm there only one night I could just find a supermarket and nosh it. Thanks

All Univ of Pitt hospitals are part of a big group called UPMC (Univ of Pittsburgh Medical Center).
They are named UPMC Shadyside, UPMC Presby, UPMC Monroeville, etc... Which location is your friend planning to go to?

If he's not in the Shadyside location, and he has surgery at UPMC Presby, then perhaps the Residence Inn is closer:
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/pitro-residence-inn-pittsburgh-university-medical-center/
The only far distance is the airport, (approx 30-40 minutes depending on traffic, a tunnel, and a bridge)

I have some connections to some food places and Bikur Cholim committees, if needed. Same with transportation assistance, etc.. Feel free to PM for specifics....

Offline Mutty

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 20, 2014, 01:02:51 PM »
All Univ of Pitt hospitals are part of a big group called UPMC (Univ of Pittsburgh Medical Center).
They are named UPMC Shadyside, UPMC Presby, UPMC Monroeville, etc... Which location is your friend planning to go to?

If he's not in the Shadyside location, and he has surgery at UPMC Presby, then perhaps the Residence Inn is closer:
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/pitro-residence-inn-pittsburgh-university-medical-center/
The only far distance is the airport, (approx 30-40 minutes depending on traffic, a tunnel, and a bridge)

I have some connections to some food places and Bikur Cholim committees, if needed. Same with transportation assistance, etc.. Feel free to PM for specifics....

Great! Thanks.

Offline CS1

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 22, 2014, 06:59:07 PM »
FOR SBS: I've been in LA and in Baltimore for the past few SBSs. This year I'll be in Pittsburgh.

Do people have a preference if I can speak to the following about opening up for a few hours, in-store? Pinksers or Murray Avenue Kosher? Any other preferences?

I'll have $180 or less, but if they can confirm $500+ total in sales, then they may consider it... It's next week --- What do you think?

Offline oreo

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Silver, Hilton Silver. Formerly United 1K, Delta Platinum,. Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
« Reply #112 on: November 26, 2014, 02:29:37 PM »
Great! Thanks.

The hospitals are very very spread out, do you know which one? I've been at every single one (for work), so I know the general areas of each.

Offline Mutty

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 11, 2014, 03:07:45 PM »
The hospitals are very very spread out, do you know which one? I've been at every single one (for work), so I know the general areas of each.
He's there but I haven't found out the exact name. If I decide to go I'll ask more questions. A lot depends on my daughter, who is currently in the hospital in NY. A lot of guys want to go to Pittsburgh (he has tons of friends). We'll see. Thanks for the comeback.

Offline mookie

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 07, 2015, 10:15:17 AM »
I'm considering a trip to Pitt from NY on Sunday with the wife, mainly for Sunday night baseball vs the dodgers. In order for it to work I need to arrive in Pitt on Sunday afternoon with time for an activity the wife will enjoy. Can someone enlighten me about getting around town and if its possible to visit a museum or Mt washington etc grab a bite to eat and get to PNC between 1-8 on Sunday. On the map, things look fairly close to each other. Is driving to everything the way to go or mass trans or uber? finally, whats the up to date kosher food situation. Thank You.

Offline Freddie

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 07, 2015, 10:19:19 AM »
Kosher food situation is that there are two restaurant options: milchigs and fleishigs. They are next door to each other.

Here's what you should do. Use Avios to fly in on US Airways.
Don't use cabs. Rent a car.
Go to Carson St. (Duquesne Incline LOWER station.) Go up and down the incline. If you have time after you come back down, you can walk over to Station Square. (You won't have time anyway.)

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #116 on: August 07, 2015, 10:20:52 AM »
I'm considering a trip to Pitt from NY on Sunday with the wife, mainly for Sunday night baseball vs the dodgers. In order for it to work I need to arrive in Pitt on Sunday afternoon with time for an activity the wife will enjoy. Can someone enlighten me about getting around town and if its possible to visit a museum or Mt washington etc grab a bite to eat and get to PNC between 1-8 on Sunday. On the map, things look fairly close to each other. Is driving to everything the way to go or mass trans or uber? finally, whats the up to date kosher food situation. Thank You.
Why not drive the 6 hours? Then you have a car there.

Everything is within a 20 min. or so drive.

Mt Washington is better seen after the game at night when the city is light up.

They have one kosher pizza shop and a fleish place next door that you'll have to call for hours.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #117 on: August 07, 2015, 10:23:13 AM »
Kosher food situation is that there are two restaurant options: milchigs and fleishigs. They are next door to each other.

Here's what you should do. Use Avios to fly in on US Airways.
Don't use cabs. Rent a car.
Go to Carson St. (Duquesne Incline LOWER station.) Go up and down the incline. If you have time after you come back down, you can walk over to Station Square. (You won't have time anyway.)
I'd say go to a museum during the day and incline at night.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 07, 2015, 10:23:40 AM »
I've done flying and driving recently. Flying was so much nicer, but that's coming from someone who isn't into long drives.

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 07, 2015, 10:24:29 AM »
I'd say go to a museum during the day and incline at night.
You're talking really late. Sunday Night Baseball starts at 8PM usually, which means the game'll end 11PM if he's lucky.