Author Topic: Anyone know of someone who would like to take some stuff to israel?  (Read 32057 times)

Offline ybeeds

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
    • JewishMusicStream.com
Re: Anyone know of someone who would like to take some stuff to israel?
« Reply #80 on: January 27, 2013, 08:33:19 AM »
I once heard a great story:

Sender: Can you take a package to EY for me.
Traveler: Sorry, but I don't have room.
Sender: Its a very small package!
Traveler: ok, fine!
Sender: when can I drop it off?
Traveler: Just stick through my mail slot.
Sender: But it won't fit!?!?!
My office buzzes to the JewishMusicStream!!!

Offline ybeeds

• View Profile
    • JewishMusicStream.com
« Reply #81 on: January 27, 2013, 08:51:58 AM »
israel law doesnt allow to bring any electronics, even for your own use, if value is over $200 in total, including all gifts. they have a book, they know value, so your iphone can get someone messed up badly.  My sister asked to bring her one, and I declined. once they get you, they take it away, there is penalty, and you get info a black list. Asking a stranger to do you a favor by breaking the law and possibly get in trouble? I am being honest.  No Thanks.

Very Misinformed!!! you may take only $200 of sealed items! You may take as much as you want if its not packaged!! (i.e.- Laptop, cell phone/s, cameras etc.)

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Anyone know of someone who would like to take some stuff to israel?
« Reply #82 on: January 27, 2013, 08:52:54 AM »
Very Misinformed!!! you may take only $200 of sealed items! You may take as much as you want if its not packaged!! (i.e.- Laptop, cell phone/s, cameras etc.)
If you walk in with twenty laptops not sealed they still will make you problems.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 20
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Rav Kav Platinum
« Reply #83 on: January 27, 2013, 08:54:18 AM »
If you walk in with twenty laptops not sealed they still will make you problems.

+1
It seems that they were unsealed in this story:
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=23853.msg384178#msg384178
Create professional looking itineraries.
Check out eliteitinerary.com

Offline Jkhein

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 27, 2013, 08:55:45 AM »
+1
when they catch people with hundreds of iphones etc all the time, its all just phones without boxes!

Offline ybeeds

• View Profile
    • JewishMusicStream.com
« Reply #85 on: January 27, 2013, 09:19:39 AM »
I was referring to taking 1 of each (maybe 2)... I apologize for not being clear about that!

All I was trying to say was: Many of the product we travel with regularly, are valued @ far more then $200.

Offline Menachem613

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 27, 2013, 11:08:35 AM »
Haven't people heard that Fedex and USPS offer a service where they will deliver packages for you to other countries?

Offline mena613

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 27, 2013, 11:16:36 AM »

You may bring gifts or new Items into Israel but they total value of the products may not exceed 300 $ in value.

The Israeli customs officials make great use of there privileged to evaluate the items according to there handbook..

If you bring items into Israel which are not in there original packaging even if there for personal use but exceed 300 USD of value
you have the option to declare them and pay the over prices tax, other wise if you get caught they either confiscate the items
and you do not have to pay a fine, or you have the right to pick it up the next day and pay taxes and a fine which is usually the value of the taxes again...

If you bring HUGE amounts of stuff into Israel, like 20 Iphones or so (commercial amounts) you will or can be indicted !

Offline Jkhein

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 27, 2013, 11:17:58 AM »
Haven't people heard that Fedex and USPS offer a service where they will deliver packages for you to other countries?
people are probably trying to save the crazy high rates they ask for the service.

Offline real-brisker

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 27, 2013, 11:34:34 AM »
One must pay taxes when using a shipping courier. Which is around 30%.

Offline real-brisker

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 27, 2013, 11:36:05 AM »
Jkhein - For one item it may be expensive, but for a few it wil come out fairly cheap.

Offline rots5

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
    • Custom Cakes for Every Occassion
« Reply #91 on: January 27, 2013, 11:41:26 AM »
u seriously think they don't go they customs?
If you have any questions please search and then ask. PM me for detailed help.

Offline businessmachine

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 27, 2013, 11:49:50 AM »
I have no idea where you're getting this from. I just came back from a trip to Israel. I went through the green and was asked to put my bags through the scanner. I had 2 laptops ( 1 personal macbook air and 1 work laptop) an Ipad ( personal) and 3 Iphones ( 1 personal, 1 business, and 1 rental to use in Israel). They saw everything and said that I was good to go no problem....

You may bring gifts or new Items into Israel but they total value of the products may not exceed 300 $ in value.

The Israeli customs officials make great use of there privileged to evaluate the items according to there handbook..

If you bring items into Israel which are not in there original packaging even if there for personal use but exceed 300 USD of value
you have the option to declare them and pay the over prices tax, other wise if you get caught they either confiscate the items
and you do not have to pay a fine, or you have the right to pick it up the next day and pay taxes and a fine which is usually the value of the taxes again...

If you bring HUGE amounts of stuff into Israel, like 20 Iphones or so (commercial amounts) you will or can be indicted !

Offline Jkhein

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 27, 2013, 12:33:38 PM »
I have no idea where you're getting this from. I just came back from a trip to Israel. I went through the green and was asked to put my bags through the scanner. I had 2 laptops ( 1 personal macbook air and 1 work laptop) an Ipad ( personal) and 3 Iphones ( 1 personal, 1 business, and 1 rental to use in Israel). They saw everything and said that I was good to go no problem....

you were very lucky. I can give you some horror stories examples.

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 27, 2013, 12:47:48 PM »

They could have just as easily made you problems. They let people go all the time with more than what the official rules state. It's not guaranteed though.
Just because you've done it doesn't mean the rules don't exist and doesn't mean that they aren't enforced plenty.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline businessmachine

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 27, 2013, 04:58:21 PM »
They could have just as easily made you problems. They let people go all the time with more than what the official rules state. It's not guaranteed though.
Just because you've done it doesn't mean the rules don't exist and doesn't mean that they aren't enforced plenty.

Is there really an official rule stating that one cannot bring personal items worth more than $300? It just doesen't make sense today where every phone is worth more then that. If anyone actually has the official rules from the Meches, it would be interesting to confirm as I travel to Israel quite often and have many relatives/acquaintances that also do with items worth much more then $300 and they never had a problem either. I think it comes down to if the people working there think that you brought the goods in with an intent to sell...

Offline rots5

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
    • Custom Cakes for Every Occassion
« Reply #96 on: January 27, 2013, 05:01:38 PM »
Is there really an official rule stating that one cannot bring personal items worth more than $300? It just doesen't make sense today where every phone is worth more then that. If anyone actually has the official rules from the Meches, it would be interesting to confirm as I travel to Israel quite often and have many relatives/acquaintances that also do with items worth much more then $300 and they never had a problem either. I think it comes down to if the people working there think that you brought the goods in with an intent to sell...
i will look tom for my papers , but i should have them somewhere with that rule.  I got stopped and had to pay the regular meches + knas. Even though it was used, but i brought it in its original box and all. Though used items don't count. When they were looking thru my camera bag he didnt blink an eye - and i have a slr.
If you have any questions please search and then ask. PM me for detailed help.

Offline mena613

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 28, 2013, 03:27:50 AM »

Im not quite sure why what I stated does not match with your experience !

If your items are used you can obviously bring in as much as you want if its for personal use !

Its the sealed or new items that cause the problems !!

You def. sound like a very busy boy !

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 20
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Rav Kav Platinum
« Reply #98 on: January 28, 2013, 03:37:44 AM »
Im not quite sure why what I stated does not match with your experience !

If your items are used you can obviously bring in as much as you want if its for personal use !

Its the sealed or new items that cause the problems !!

You def. sound like a very busy boy !

Just because they're not enforcing it to the penny, doesn't mean they can't - and wont - enforce it if they are in the mood. They have taxed strollers with babies in it. While it's not common, if you don't follow the law they can enforce it.

http://www.iatatravelcentre.com/IL-Israel-customs-currency-airport-tax-regulations-details.htm

non-residents: gifts up to the equivalent of USD 125.- in ILS excl. television sets, cameras, movie cameras, tape recorders and typewriters.
Moreover, for their personal use and provided re-exported: one video camera, one photo camera, one movie camera, one tape recorder and, up to a value of USD 250.-: films and video cassettes. These articles are subject to high deposits which can be paid in cash or by VISA credit card only.
Flowers, plants, seeds: health certificate required.
Create professional looking itineraries.
Check out eliteitinerary.com

Offline Moishebatchy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
« Reply #99 on: January 28, 2013, 03:53:41 AM »
Just because they're not enforcing it to the penny, doesn't mean they can't - and wont - enforce it if they are in the mood. They have taxed strollers with babies in it. While it's not common, if you don't follow the law they can enforce it.

http://www.iatatravelcentre.com/IL-Israel-customs-currency-airport-tax-regulations-details.htm

Wow... tape recorders and typewriters? Visa credit card only? How old is that information?! :o