Author Topic: The truth about children - Warning: Controversial  (Read 119574 times)

Offline yehuda S

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
The truth about children - Warning: Controversial
« on: January 03, 2013, 06:13:13 PM »
Having a child is really, really, really, difficult, even painful sometimes.

It seems like in the frum community having lots of children is sacrosanct. Speak to people and even if they have a lot of difficulty with their kids, they are quick to assure you that children are a blessing lest they seem ungrateful.

Couples with no or few children are looked upon sadly as though they must be suffering. An infertile couple is made to seem tragic.

If you are a parent who has complained about your child, have you ever quickly retracted the complaint for fear that G-d may take away your child for complaining?

I have one daughter and at times she can make us pretty miserable. I believe lots of couples may be suffering, having been thrust into parenthood without having even a basic idea of what to expect. They are afraid to voice complaints so they won't be seen as ungrateful to G-d or incompetent parents. This is especially true while in the company of single/infertile friends.

I've taken a look around and noticed couples who had one child right after marriage and then waited a looong time before having another. Is this due to the jarring reality of having children?

The sad reality is it's the child who suffers most from an unprepared parent

It's high time this discussion takes place, in my (humble) opinion, and what better place to start it than DDF?

Your thoughts?

Work is what you do between vacations.

Offline meshugener

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Re: The truth about children - Warning: Controversial
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 06:17:13 PM »
Having a child is really, really, really, difficult, even painful sometimes.

It seems like in the frum community having lots of children is sacrosanct. Speak to people and even if they have a lot of difficulty with their kids, they are quick to assure you that children are a blessing lest they seem ungrateful.

Couples with no or few children are looked upon sadly as though they must be suffering. An infertile couple is made to seem tragic.

If you are a parent who has complained about your child, have you ever quickly retracted the complaint for fear that G-d may take away your child for complaining?

I have one daughter and at times she can make us pretty miserable. I believe lots of couples may be suffering, having been thrust into parenthood without having even a basic idea of what to expect. They are afraid to voice complaints so they won't be seen as ungrateful to G-d or incompetent parents. This is especially true while in the company of single/infertile friends.

I've taken a look around and noticed couples who had one child right after marriage and then waited a looong time before having another. Is this due to the jarring reality of having children?

The sad reality is it's the child who suffers most from an unprepared parent

It's high time this discussion takes place, in my (humble) opinion, and what better place to start it than DDF?

Your thoughts?
I can assure you that the one who wrote this didn't say the truth when saying:
I have one daughter
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 06:27:25 PM »
I can assure you that the one who wrote this didn't say the truth when saying:
Huh?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline yehuda S

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 06:28:27 PM »
Huh?
+1.

What the heck are you saying?  ???

Offline meshugener

• View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 06:31:26 PM »
Once you have a child, you don't think so negatively about childrern. period.

Offline yehuda S

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 06:34:58 PM »

What did I say that's negative? Are you joking or are you trying to prove my points?

Offline mmermss

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 06:36:07 PM »
I did not think the OP was thinking so negatively about children..what I got out is that the OP thinks its very hard to raise and deal with children....especially if you have no preparations and mehalach in chinuch.
It's not about the quantity of your posts.  It's about the quality.

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 06:37:00 PM »
Raising children is one of the hardest things anyone will ever do. I don't think people except how hard it will be. Or let alone how hard marriage will/can be.

On the other hand I am not a fan of those people constantly complaining to the whole world on Facebook or in person about their kids etc. But of course it's healthy to be able to speak to your friends in person of the hard times.

I do agree that there are many people out there having many kids who are overwhelmed but won't admit it to themselves since it's "a blessing".

It most definitely is a very big Bracha to have children. But at the same time raising kids will be one of the hardest things you will ever do.

Being appreciative doesn't mean having to deny the fact that you are having a hard time.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline yehuda S

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 06:38:43 PM »
I did not think the OP was thinking so negatively about children..what I got out is that the OP thinks its very hard to raise and deal with children....especially if you have no preparations and mehalach in chinuch.

Exactly. How many people here had some kind of chassan/kallah class before getting married?
Now, how many had a children/chinuch class before having children?

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 06:40:07 PM »
Exactly. How many people here had some kind of chassan/kallah class before getting married?

I think there are kind of 2 aspects to it. The chinuch part, and the emotionally and physically taxing part.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 06:43:41 PM »
I think there are kind of 2 aspects to it. The chinuch part, and the emotionally and physically taxing part.
Darn good question.

Then again nothing could've prepared us for 3 months of an ultra-colicky baby.  One of my brothers was apparently colicky for 18 months...I can't even imagine.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline yehuda S

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 06:52:31 PM »
Putting our kid to sleep is one of our harder rituals. One day shortly after she was born I realized that I'm going to be doing this practically every single night (in some form) for the next 12 - 15 years. And that's if we don't have more kids. That was a pretty big moment realizing how much our lives had changed. 

And this forum is actually a great place to discuss this. The people here are used to hopping on a plane at the drop of a hat, and you can definitely do that with a spouse. But with a kid it's an upheaval and with two or more its practically impossible. If you don't think makes it even more difficult, well, I don't know what to say.

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 06:56:07 PM »
Putting our kid to sleep is one of our harder rituals. One day shortly after she was born I realized that I'm going to be doing this practically every single night (in some form) for the next 12 - 15 years. And that's if we don't have more kids. That was a pretty big moment realizing how much our lives had changed. 

And this forum is actually a great place to discuss this. The people here are used to hopping on a plane at the drop of a hat, and you can definitely do that with a spouse. But with a kid it's an upheaval and with two or more its practically impossible. If you don't think makes it even more difficult, well, I don't know what to say.

It's definitely harder with a kid to travel. Some kids travel better than others. And some parents travel better than others. Personality plays a big role in raising kids. Theirs and yours.

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 06:56:39 PM »

Things will get easier. (Things will also get harder. But so is life. )

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2013, 06:57:04 PM »
Who was the נביא who didn't want to have kids because of inhertided disabilities?
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline whYME

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2013, 07:02:36 PM »
FYI there is something called "secondary infertility."

Not necessarily is it by choice that a couple "waited a looong time before having another."

Offline meshugener

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2013, 07:08:13 PM »

Not necessarily is it by choice that a couple "waited a looong time before having another."
+1

Offline yehuda S

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2013, 07:12:58 PM »

Seems to be happening to lots of my friends,  ::)

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2013, 07:29:56 PM »
Why am I always on the other side of the fence?
"Elvis Has Left The Building"

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2013, 07:31:04 PM »
Why am I always on the other side of the fence?
Which side is that? It is probably because you have a different background than most members. (A non cynical answer is very rare for me)
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)