Author Topic: The truth about children - Warning: Controversial  (Read 119519 times)

Offline yehuda S

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: The truth about children - Warning: Controversial
« Reply #140 on: January 04, 2013, 01:11:41 PM »
Does anyone else on this forum know a couple who got divorced after a short marriage and left behind a single mother taking care of a child (or two), or am I the only one?

If so what does it say to you?

Is this not a heartbreaking situation that could easily be made about 99% less awful if some birth control had been strategically used?

(I personally know 4 that I can think of offhand)
Work is what you do between vacations.

Offline meshugener

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #141 on: January 04, 2013, 01:15:35 PM »
Does anyone else on this forum know a couple who got divorced after a short marriage and left behind a single mother taking care of a child (or two), or am I the only one?

I know a few.
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline MosheP

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 04, 2013, 01:29:30 PM »

I'm sure just about everyone here knows of unfortunate situations such as single parents.

It is very very sad, and might have been able to be avoided.

Is this not a heartbreaking situation that could easily be made about 99% less awful if some birth control had been strategically used?

Heartbreaking indeed. In many cases birth control should have been used. especially if there were circumstances that may have indicated a low success rate for the marriage. Perhaps ask the single mom if she would prefer not having her children. I am sure that they would say certainly  not!

Would you say that in an instance where someone dies young and leaves over a family, they should have not had children? No way!

I agree that couples who are unhappy together should wait before having a child/ additional children. However, not for the parents sake. Purely for the sake of the children.

Offline meshugener

• View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #143 on: January 04, 2013, 01:33:44 PM »

Would you say that in an instance where someone dies young and leaves over a family, they should have not had children? No way!

No comparison.

Offline ganizzy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 04, 2013, 01:35:38 PM »

you dont know why their marriage broke up.
i know of some single mothers that are happy that at least they got a child out of their bad marriage. they figure that thats why they had to go thru it in the first place.
of course u also have other perspectives.
im not saying people (especially those with marriage problems) shouldnt use bc, im just pointing out another view.

to be honest Yehudah s, u sound bitter rather then stressed.
i think we should have alot more preparation for other things as well but that makes me annoyed or stressed, not bitter and hating the situation.
i think its alot about attitude. yes it would be nice to have a heads up about child rearing, yes it would be nice if we had easy pregnancies, calm beautiful children that slept thru the night at 3 weeks old. and then never had a fight with their sibling. but thats prob not gonna happen.
so if u take an attitude of - man this is harder then i thought but i am already here so let me make the best of it. speak to people "in the know", get some tips and good ideas. try to create happy moments as a family. get a babysitter and go out with ur spouse at least twice a month. enjoy the nachas moments as they come. enjoy the brilliant things they say and do. talk to a friend to "let out" about the annoying things they do.

sometimes we can get really frustrated with our kids and we can think of 10 things they did wrong. on a good day do u also stop to think of 10 good things about them?

my hardest kid is also the brightest, the most talented and (sometimes) the most helpful. so when she starts acting up i have to take a mindset of how do i deal with this situation to calm her down, have her get back to her tzadekes mode. or at mimimum at least not make a bad situation worse by screaming, shouting and being negative.
if i just think, this is so hard and stressful, im 25 and shouldnt have to deal with this, i havent taken a vacation in 2 years bec of my kids.... then theres no way the situation wont go even more downhill.

so bottom line is - yes, kids are not easy to raise. yes there should be classes, awareness BEFORE we have kids, but we can still be happy with the children we have and try to find the positive.

cmon, who doesnt like being woken up at 6 am with ut 5 yr old crawling into ur bed adn saying I love u Mammy  :P

Offline MosheP

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 04, 2013, 01:45:32 PM »
No comparison.

The comparison is that they are both ridiculous.

It is horrible for the child to be in a home without a father, and with a mother that went through a divorce. And  maybe they should have not had children for the child's sake. It is ridiculous to say that a couple should have never had children because the mother is now stuck with kids. I would even venture to say that any mother that feels that way should have never been awarded custody!

Offline meshugener

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 04, 2013, 02:06:11 PM »
No way to compare to a child torn apart between 2 parents who hate each other.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 04, 2013, 02:20:42 PM »
@OP

1. Who said hardship and blessing are mutually exclusive.
2. Your entire childhood life was training for parenthood, how may children can be heard saying "when I will be big..." or "when I will be a tatty/mommy..."
3. This is a deals site, why is the perfect place to discuss this?
4. You now have a child, do the best you can (within your abilities) for her. If you're not sure you can handle any more, consult your LOR.
5. For your own mental health, focus on the things about your daughter that make you happy/proud etc.
6. BH you don't know how tragic it is for people who don't have children. Just like they don't know what your child-rearing difficulties are, so too you don't know theirs.

Chizkyahu.

An that was when he knew his descendants would be wicked, and G-d told him that isn't his problem and he must have children anyway (or he will die).

100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline yehuda S

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 04, 2013, 03:26:08 PM »
1. Who said hardship and blessing are mutually exclusive.
No one thinks this.
2. Your entire childhood life was training for parenthood, how may children can be heard saying "when I will be big..." or "when I will be a tatty/mommy..."
I used to say "When I will be an astronaut.."
I am not prepared to be an astronaut.
Seriously? This Forum is entitled: Just Schmooze:kick back and talk about anything. It also happens to be populated by frum Jews who share many of my experiences. Why don't you ask this in the thread about interesting videos or funny jokes?
4. You now have a child, do the best you can (within your abilities) for her. If you're not sure you can handle any more, consult your LOR.
I will carry this advice with me always.
5. For your own mental health, focus on the things about your daughter that make you happy/proud etc.
I already do. Several people suggested that I am merely venting or bitter even as I have reiterated that my concern is largely for the children being raised my incompetent parents. most parents will be ok, it's their children who will suffer. The events of the first few years of life are what defines a person's entire life.
6. BH you don't know how tragic it is for people who don't have children. Just like they don't know what your child-rearing difficulties are, so too you don't know theirs.
Exactly. So let's all stop pretending that it is always cushy and bubbling over with pride and nachas. That just makes them feel worse.
Work is what you do between vacations.

Online PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The truth about children - Warning: Controversial
« Reply #149 on: January 04, 2013, 04:13:57 PM »
Who ever said anything about beis din being kofeh anyone?
This is a halachik obligation, end of story.  Where do these other mayses and pshetlach ("hanhogo"/beis din kofin) come in?
Beis din is not "kofin" you to lay tefilin or shake lulav either, yet IIRC it's an obligation.
Beis din are kofe to lay tefillin & shake lulav.

Some BS here but he quotes the Gemara & Rambam that paskens it http://www.daat.ac.il/mishpat-ivri/skirot/311-2.htm

Iif you really don't understand the difference between the chiyuv to keep the shabbos & the din to get married by 20 you have a really big problem.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #150 on: January 04, 2013, 05:28:17 PM »

I'm sure we all know of such couples.
Which is exactly why you can get a heter these days even before having any kids. 

The truth is that in shidduch dating you really don't know much about the person other than if they are able to put on a nice show/facade for a couple weeks.  Thus we try to learn as much as possible before even dating and talk for hours to see if there's compatibility, but more than that is in the hands of Gd.
You probably won't really get to know the person until after you've lived with them.

The incredible thing is that our divorce rate is still lower than the general public, though that can be attributed to stigma just as easily as it can be attributed to having the same general goals in life and the shidduch system working.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Jkhein

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 05, 2013, 12:23:51 PM »
@OP

Disagree. Just shmooze, is the right place for this to be posted. If anyone ever needs a vort of chizuk, advice, or similar, they should feel comfortable to post it here.

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 20
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Rav Kav Platinum
« Reply #152 on: January 05, 2013, 12:46:04 PM »
At first my thought was to agree with meshuganer. There is NO WAY it is possible for a parent to make a post like that. Not because of some God run mafia, or Rumpelstiltskinain threats, it just not some thing that a stable parent thinks.

But after seeing posts like this
...and this is the attitude that makes people ashamed to say they aren't coping well with parenthood. Thanks for illustrating it for everyone. Suffer in silence because you are supposed to feel differently about your child.

And this!?
Uh most people view death as the ultimate suffering. So why would they want to exchange pain for super pain? If people were absolutely certain of a happier life after death I think a lot of them would be lining up. As it is there are lots of suicides.

Seriously, if the OP a) doesn't believe there is a better life to come, and b) Is ready to commit suicide if he believed such a thing, well then he is way beyond the help of a forum, and critically needs immediate therapy and assistance. I would say his kid's life is in danger, both spiritually and physically, as this is a deeply disturbed attitude manifested by the kinds of parents that dump their kids in garbage cans. Something that a parent can't begin to comprehend, but people snap.

If anyone knows the OP personally they should try to make sure he gets professional help. This really sounds like pikuach nefesh.

We have to stop obfuscating the true issue at hand with discussions of coping and hardships, as clearly this isn't the root of the issue. We should be focusing on the need for the OP to get professional help

(HT MosheP for really hitting it out of the park in some posts)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 01:27:00 PM by Chaikel »
Create professional looking itineraries.
Check out eliteitinerary.com

Offline Jkhein

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 05, 2013, 05:01:40 PM »
why the need to bash the OP? he does need help, but he is discussing an issue that we should help him with too, and share our experiences and how he can try to get helped too.
He plucked up his courage and decided to post - let's help him. (he definitely needs proffesional help too.)

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 20
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Rav Kav Platinum
« Reply #154 on: January 05, 2013, 05:22:18 PM »
why the need to bash the OP? he does need help, but he is discussing an issue that we should help him with too, and share our experiences and how he can try to get helped too.
He plucked up his courage and decided to post - let's help him. (he definitely needs proffesional help too.)
My point is this is way beyond the scope of a forum debate. If you want to help we can offer funds if he can't afford professional help, but that's about all
Create professional looking itineraries.
Check out eliteitinerary.com

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 05, 2013, 05:42:14 PM »
If anyone knows the OP personally they should try to make sure he gets professional help.
Let’s also include the community he comes from to get help also.  ;)
"Elvis Has Left The Building"

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 05, 2013, 07:09:46 PM »
At first my thought was to agree with meshuganer. There is NO WAY it is possible for a parent to make a post like that. Not because of some God run mafia, or Rumpelstiltskinain threats, it just not some thing that a stable parent thinks.

And this!?
Seriously, if the OP a) doesn't believe there is a better life to come, and b) Is ready to commit suicide if he believed such a thing, well then he is way beyond the help of a forum, and critically needs immediate therapy and assistance. I would say his kid's life is in danger, both spiritually and physically, as this is a deeply disturbed attitude manifested by the kinds of parents that dump their kids in garbage cans. Something that a parent can't begin to comprehend, but people snap.

If anyone knows the OP personally they should try to make sure he gets professional help. This really sounds like pikuach nefesh.

We have to stop obfuscating the true issue at hand with discussions of coping and hardships, as clearly this isn't the root of the issue. We should be focusing on the need for the OP to get professional help

(HT MosheP for really hitting it out of the park in some posts)
I agree, somethings off

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 05, 2013, 07:12:48 PM »
Second kid throwing up in three nights. Gross
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline DrDanny

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 05, 2013, 07:16:12 PM »

And this!?
Seriously, if the OP a) doesn't believe there is a better life to come, and b) Is ready to commit suicide if he believed such a thing, well then he is way beyond the help of a forum, and critically needs immediate therapy and assistance. I would say his kid's life is in danger, both spiritually and physically, as this is a deeply disturbed attitude manifested by the kinds of parents that dump their kids in garbage cans.
I'm gonna say you took that several steps to far

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #159 on: January 05, 2013, 08:19:37 PM »
OP can clearly use counseling, but I don't see why we can't discuss some of the issues at play here in a civilized manner.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.