Author Topic: The truth about children - Warning: Controversial  (Read 120856 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: The truth about children - Warning: Controversial
« Reply #160 on: January 05, 2013, 08:20:58 PM »
That is a Kodak moment. You haven’t seen anything yet. Wait till they get older.
I dunno, I can't really imagine a better moment that seeing the huge smile on my son's face after coming home from a trip.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline creditor

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: Re: The truth about children - Warning: Controversial
« Reply #161 on: January 05, 2013, 08:24:57 PM »
My point is this is way beyond the scope of a forum debate. If you want to help we can offer funds if he can't afford professional help, but that's about all
+100
I was thinking the exact same.
I'm just say'in©®

Offline HelpMe

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 05, 2013, 08:27:02 PM »
I dunno, I can't really imagine a better moment that seeing the huge smile on my son's face after coming home from a trip.
How about your son coming home from serving overseas and your street lined with friends and family welcoming him home and thanking him for his service?
"Elvis Has Left The Building"

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 05, 2013, 08:30:26 PM »
I used to say "When I will be an astronaut.."
I am not prepared to be an astronaut.Seriously?

You're born not knowing anything. Growing up is a chance to learn what a home is supposed to be like. If someone's parents didn't teach them (properly), it's incumbent upon them (as adults) to learn this on their own.

This Forum is entitled: Just Schmooze:kick back and talk about anything. It also happens to be populated by frum Jews who share many of my experiences. Why don't you ask this in the thread about interesting videos or funny jokes?

C'mon, are you comparing the responsibility of raising children to funny videos or jokes?

You have a responsibility, albeit a hard one. There are online forums devoted to parenting, even frum ones. There are also frum professionals and Rabbis who can guide you in this area. If you take your responsibility seriously you should pursue those venues.

While you can shmooze (or vent) about anything here, this isn't the ideal ("what better a place") to discuss this.

Several people suggested that I am merely venting or bitter even as I have reiterated that my concern is largely for the children being raised my incompetent parents. most parents will be ok, it's their children who will suffer. The events of the first few years of life are what defines a person's entire life.

I don't buy any of that. I don't mean to get too personal but the first 3-4 years of my life have been more traumatic than most people and while it took a lot of hard work for me as an adult, I am a happy functional person today BH. You're entitled to vent, but if people need help, they need to get it, and not just be aware of "the truth".

Exactly. So let's all stop pretending that it is always cushy and bubbling over with pride and nachas. That just makes them feel worse.

Life isn't all cushy etc. but instead of looking at your half-empty cup, deal with your issues so that you have a balanced view. People need to appreciate the good life and beware of the difficulties. Since you agreed the two aren't mutually exclusive, people who are happy-go-lucky can continue doing so (if it works for them), and the rest of us have things to beware of in a balanced way.

DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Galitzyaner

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The truth about children - Warning: Controversial
« Reply #164 on: January 05, 2013, 08:59:38 PM »
Beis din are kofe to lay tefillin & shake lulav.

Some BS here but he quotes the Gemara & Rambam that paskens it http://www.daat.ac.il/mishpat-ivri/skirot/311-2.htm

Iif you really don't understand the difference between the chiyuv to keep the shabbos & the din to get married by 20 you have a really big problem.
I stand corrected Re. the Lulav & Tefillin etc..

However,  from where do you get to this whole סברא that because by this particular Halacha the shu"a paskens that beis din is אין כופין, that therefore there is a lesser practical obligation?
Since when is the obligation any less? From where do you deduce that because a beis din is not kofe, makes any difference vis-a-vis practical obligation?

Do you have a source?  Or is this plain בּויך סברות?

Offline yehuda S

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: January 05, 2013, 09:04:54 PM »
Gut Voch everyone!  :)

So I'd like to say a few things to Mr. Chaikel. I'll address you directly which is something you apparently lack the courage to do.

First of all, What in the world does this mean?

Not because of some God run mafia, or Rumpelstiltskinain threats,

Onward..

But after seeing posts like this
And this!?
Seriously, if the OP a) doesn't believe there is a better life to come, and b) Is ready to commit suicide if he believed such a thing, well then he is way beyond the help of a forum, and critically needs immediate therapy and assistance. I would say his kid's life is in danger, both spiritually and physically, as this is a deeply disturbed attitude manifested by the kinds of parents that dump their kids in garbage cans. Something that a parent can't begin to comprehend, but people snap.
(HT MosheP for really hitting it out of the park in some posts)

You took a response I made to moko out of context, twisted it and interpreted it to mean I was saying that I do not believe in the afterlife and the I am ready to commit suicide if I knew it gets better, two thing I most definitely did not say. Then you drew a conclusion from these two falsehoods and proclaimed that I am the type of person who would throw my child in a garbage bin.

Way to elevate this conversation.

It is clear you did not actually read what I wrote with any intention of understanding it.

Furthermore, asking others who may know me to intervene based on a warped reading of my post and without even an armchair therapists understanding of  me or my dilemma is irresponsible and does not reflect well on you or our community as a whole.

I sincerely hope that the others posting in this thread take a moment to realize this and to assert their position on the side of sanity and thoughtfulness.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 09:08:47 PM by yehuda S »
Work is what you do between vacations.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 05, 2013, 09:07:34 PM »
I sincerely hope that the others posting in this thread take a moment to realize this and to assert their position on the side of sanity and thoughtfulness.

Your posts, including the title of this thread, come from a place of emotion, not thoughtfulness. Please hold yourself to the same standards you hold others to.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline DrDanny

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 05, 2013, 10:49:54 PM »
Your posts, including the title of this thread, come from a place of emotion, not thoughtfulness. Please hold yourself to the same standards you hold others to.
Come on the point was sanity and in this context if you think about your emotions that would count as thoughtfulness
(is there a deeper reason you don't want this thread to go on)

Offline Achas Veachas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #168 on: January 05, 2013, 10:54:30 PM »
OK I think some people are reading a bit too much into this. The OP does not seem suicidal and he does not hate babies (his own or any others), he is just having a bit of an (understandable) hard time now. How many of you ever dealt with a colicky baby? B"H my son hasn't put me through that but I have a younger brother who was, and even though this was over 15 years ago, and I was only 9 at the time I still remember it, it's enough to make any parent question his/her abilities.

Put it this way: 1 of the most rewarding experiences for me as a father is when my baby is crying, and I pick him up, rock him and after a few minutes he calms down and is happy. That makes me feel like I'm a good father. That I can provide for this helpless person in my arms. Now imagine if after hours of holding, rocking, bouncing, singing, holding on the arm, holding on the shoulder etc. etc. etc. the baby is still shrieking like nothing happened. It's enough to make YOU feel helpless as if you're doing something wrong.

All the satisfaction people have been talking about untill now comes from feeling confident that you can take care of your baby, take that away and you are left with just the stress and hardships and sleepless nights.

Dont worry! OP jr. will grow out of her colic soon enough and than OP will be the doting proud father he knows he can be!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #169 on: January 05, 2013, 10:59:15 PM »
OK I think some people are reading a bit too much into this. The OP does not seem suicidal and he does not hate babies (his own or any others), he is just having a bit of an (understandable) hard time now. How many of you ever dealt with a colicky baby? B"H my son hasn't put me through that but I have a younger brother who was, and even though this was over 15 years ago, and I was only 9 at the time I still remember it, it's enough to make any parent question his/her abilities.

Put it this way: 1 of the most rewarding experiences for me as a father is when my baby is crying, and I pick him up, rock him and after a few minutes he calms down and is happy. That makes me feel like I'm a good father. That I can provide for this helpless person in my arms. Now imagine if after hours of holding, rocking, bouncing, singing, holding on the arm, holding on the shoulder etc. etc. etc. the baby is still shrieking like nothing happened. It's enough to make YOU feel helpless as if you're doing something wrong.

All the satisfaction people have been talking about untill now comes from feeling confident that you can take care of your baby, take that away and you are left with just the stress and hardships and sleepless nights.

Dont worry! OP jr. will grow out of her colic soon enough and than OP will be the doting proud father he knows he can be!
Been there done that.
+1000
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline DrDanny

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 05, 2013, 11:07:15 PM »

+100

Offline moko

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 05, 2013, 11:11:51 PM »
Been there done that.
+1000
+100
guess u don't feel as strongly about it as Dan  ;)

Offline meshugener

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #172 on: January 05, 2013, 11:13:14 PM »

Amen!
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 05, 2013, 11:13:33 PM »
Maybe they are using different scales.  :P

Offline moko

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 05, 2013, 11:14:36 PM »
Maybe they are using different scales.  :P
:D

Offline DrDanny

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 05, 2013, 11:15:36 PM »
Lol I was doing percentages more zeroes wouldn't mean much (at least in retrospect I was)

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 05, 2013, 11:16:20 PM »
Here is what you should all do. Print out this thread (maybe remove a couple of posts) and have your parents read it. I think they will get a kick out of it.

Offline moko

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 05, 2013, 11:17:52 PM »
Here is what you should all do. Print out this thread (maybe remove a couple of posts) and have your parents read it. I think they will get a kick out of it.
ur making me laugh tonight  ;D

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 05, 2013, 11:21:09 PM »
ur making me laugh tonight  ;D
Like this thread does for me?

Offline moko