Author Topic: Are we giving our children the means to support themselves?  (Read 6783 times)

Offline yehuda S

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Are we giving our children the means to support themselves?
« on: January 08, 2013, 08:01:40 AM »
Nor do you. You could instead give your kids the means to support themselves. Because if your kids are putting you in a place where you have to "worry that much" to support them, you probably shouldn't be.

This topic should get its own thread. Are we giving our children the means to support themselves?

Our boys and girls are some of the brightest people in the world. Each generation should be producing an entire crop of doctors, scientists, engineers. They should be in labs curing cancer right now. Instead people are finding themselves married with children and wondering if sales is a good career path.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 12:51:12 PM by Dan »
Work is what you do between vacations.

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: The truth about children - Warning: Controversial
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 08:05:43 AM »
This topic should get its own thread. Are we giving our children the means to support themselves?

Our boys and girls are some of the brightest people in the world. Each generation should be producing an entire crop of doctors, scientists, engineers. They should be in labs curing cancer right now. Instead people are finding themselves married with children and wondering if sales is a good career path.
People do have other values ya know, so what if many dont have a bulletproof parnasa,. Most are still happy, even with many kids, they have what some lack: The correct prospective, Bitachon, and the realization that it wont matter if you were a dentist or an insurance salesman in 50 years.

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 08:09:07 AM »
Unless you were unable to provide for your kids and as a result they are messed up. Or you were matil yourself on the tzibbut because you couldn't meet you're responsibilities
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 08:18:34 AM »
Unless you were unable to provide for your kids and as a result they are messed up. Or you were matil yourself on the tzibbut because you couldn't meet you're responsibilities
One is only obligated to try as hard as they can to provide. The rest is up to g-d.
Many dont feel it necessary to start worrying about providing for a future family while still a teen. (No reason to waste 7 years and hundreds of G's on med school for example.)

Offline sky121

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 08:23:14 AM »
People do have other values ya know, so what if many dont have a bulletproof parnasa,. Most are still happy, even with many kids, they have what some lack: The correct prospective, Bitachon, and the realization that it wont matter if you were a dentist or an insurance salesman in 50 years.

It's more that it's just chaval many times when you see young people who've been marries a couple years, starting to realize they wish they had something in their hands in terms of Parnassah.

I have a friend whose father is a doctor and all his kids were the typical learning yeshivish guys and now he asks his father all the time why he didn't encourage him to get a degree etc. when he was younger.

And I talk to a lot of guys who wish they had taken the time when they were young to get a degree.

On the same note a friend of mine took a few years to go to school part time and get his degree in accounting and then went back to Yeshiva full time and when it came to shidduchim had to deal with MANY responses of girls saying no "because he went to school" - and this was a really good guy, a really good learner.

It's hard in our society with social pressures. Even guys who might like to do something feel they can't sometimes.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 08:28:04 AM by sky121 »
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 08:58:57 AM »
It's more that it's just chaval many times when you see young people who've been marries a couple years, starting to realize they wish they had something in their hands in terms of Parnassah.

I have a friend whose father is a doctor and all his kids were the typical learning yeshivish guys and now he asks his father all the time why he didn't encourage him to get a degree etc. when he was younger.

And I talk to a lot of guys who wish they had taken the time when they were young to get a degree.

On the same note a friend of mine took a few years to go to school part time and get his degree in accounting and then went back to Yeshiva full time and when it came to shidduchim had to deal with MANY responses of girls saying no "because he went to school" - and this was a really good guy, a really good learner.

It's hard in our society with social pressures. Even guys who might like to do something feel they can't sometimes.
Is the concept of not worrying about future worries hard to comprehend?
You have a 18 year old concerned with how he will marry of his kids. A) Who said he'l find a shidduch B who said he'l have kids,C who said his shver wont be bill gates D) who said he wont make a lucky business deal E who said his daughters wont marry dentists etc etc
"Dy letzorah beshatah"
Learning torah is a sure investment for a 18 yo bochur. He'l drey around after learning a few years and hope for the best.

Offline meshugener

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 09:02:20 AM »
Nonsense.
98% A, B, C, D and E won't materialize.
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 09:12:45 AM »
Nonsense.
98% A, B, C, D and E won't materialize.
and 85% manage fine without ABCD or 7 years in College

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 09:55:15 AM »
And 83% of statistics are made up.
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Achas Veachas

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 09:57:32 AM »
Sure about that? I heard 86.346875%

Offline yehuda S

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 10:19:24 AM »
Is the concept of not worrying about future worries hard to comprehend?
You have a 18 year old concerned with how he will marry of his kids. A) Who said he'l find a shidduch B who said he'l have kids,C who said his shver wont be bill gates D) who said he wont make a lucky business deal E who said his daughters wont marry dentists etc etc
"Dy letzorah beshatah"
Learning torah is a sure investment for a 18 yo bochur. He'l drey around after learning a few years and hope for the best.

Is this for real? Who was arguing that our whole childhood is a preparation for parenthood? I guess none of that is necessary because A. Who said you'll get married? B. who said you'll have kids? C. Who said your wife won't take care of everything for you while you sit in beis M and learn 19 hours a day?

As far as a Bill Gates shver, nothing costs more than parental support. With the possible exception of in-law support.
Work is what you do between vacations.

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 10:33:17 AM »
and 85% manage fine without ABCD or 7 years in College

It's not about managing fine. Nor is it about spending 7 years in college. It's more about the mentality. And teaching kids about reality and life. Forget kids. Forget a wife. Don't you want to raise your kids to be self sufficient people?

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 12:20:44 PM »
Just saw this don't know if it has relevance.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2013, 12:38:04 PM »
It's not about managing fine. Nor is it about spending 7 years in college. It's more about the mentality. And teaching kids about reality and life. Forget kids. Forget a wife. Don't you want to raise your kids to be self sufficient people?
The philosophy that I was raised with is that every thing in life is about balancing between two worlds. I would like to impart on my children that its important to be a responsible mentch, to take care of their wives and children both emotionally and financially, but the emphasis and most important thing in their life is not necessarily having a bullet proof parnassah and a life of luxury and travel without cranky kids.
Its all a matter of perspective. Whats life all about?

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2013, 12:40:07 PM »
The philosophy that I was raised with is that every thing in life is about balancing between two worlds. I would like to impart on my children that its important to be a responsible mentch, to take care of their wives and children both emotionally and financially, but the emphasis and most important thing in their life is not necessarily having a bullet proof parnassah and a life of luxury and travel without cranky kids.
Its all a matter of perspective. Whats life all about?

I agree. Unfortunately I  don't believe most people have that balanced out too well.

Offline moko

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Are we giving our children the means to support themselves?
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2013, 01:19:39 PM »
They should be in labs curing cancer right now.
I guess i missed my calling
sleazy slumlord just sounded to good ;D

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2013, 01:48:25 PM »

Including that one.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline whacked1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2013, 02:06:37 PM »
i am not getting a few things here; 1) i have a lot of friends that tell me that "they wish" they wouldve gone to college for some educational backing, the truth is (of course NOT ALL CASES) lots of people use the "yeshivish" answer due their laziness!! So even if it would be 100% a given in the yeshivish world, lots of guys wouldnt go, they like to pretend 6 yrs down the road that the reason for the them not going is yeshivish!!! 2) If a person is good at sales than that is one of the most secure professions a person could have with unlimited possible commission (unlike drs that cap out)!!!! Why is it being spoken about like it is the worst job?!?

Offline meshugener

• View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2013, 02:09:43 PM »
i am not getting a few things here; 1) i have a lot of friends that tell me that "they wish" they wouldve gone to college for some educational backing, the truth is (of course NOT ALL CASES) lots of people use the "yeshivish" answer due their laziness!! So even if it would be 100% a given in the yeshivish world, lots of guys wouldnt go, they like to pretend 6 yrs down the road that the reason for the them not going is yeshivish!!! 2) If a person is good at sales than that is one of the most secure professions a person could have with unlimited possible commission (unlike drs that cap out)!!!! Why is it being spoken about like it is the worst job?!?
+1
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2013, 02:12:20 PM »
2) If a person is good at sales than that is one of the most secure professions a person could have with unlimited possible commission (unlike drs that cap out)!!!! Why is it being spoken about like it is the worst job?!?
Would you rather have a job where you might make anywhere between $100 and $1MM or one that will always pay a steady $200K-$400K?
Sales isn't the worst job, it's just not for everyone.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.