Topic Wiki

The wiki is divided into groups for "fact" and "opinion." Please feel free to add whichever facts you know and opinions you have. Please try to avoid cluttering the wiki with unnecessary information such as outside links.

Please do not delete anything from this wiki.  If you disagree with an opinion, feel free to post your own. If you disagree with a fact--well, that's your opinion, and feel free to post it under opinions!

Facts
The flu vaccine causes more deaths per year than chicken pox.
The direct injection of RSV immunoglobulin, commonly known as the "RSV vaccine" would prevent 16x more deaths than the flu vaccine does, but is too expensive.
There is a vaccine for the plague, and that is why it is no longer an epidemic.
Ebola is caused by vaccines.
There is a vaccine for autism, but it causes mumps.

Opinions
Vaccines do not contain thimerosal, a known toxin.
If you snuck up on your neighbor's kid and cut open his skull, you would be arrested.  But when brain surgeons do it, and charge hundreds of thousands of dollars, it considered "medicine."
99% of vaccines do not cause autism (HT JJ1000).
Every pedi has seen healthy kids become sick physically & mentally hours after a vax (HT Baryochai)
Vaccines cause cancer, infertility, astma, adhd etc (HT Baryochai)

Poll

Did You Get The Flu Vaccine This Winter?

Yes (Shot)
121 (37.6%)
Yes (Nasal Spray)
5 (1.6%)
No
196 (60.9%)

Total Members Voted: 320

Author Topic: Vaccine Discussion Master Thread  (Read 557534 times)

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
Re: Vaccine Discussion Master Thread
« Reply #1520 on: June 26, 2015, 10:02:38 AM »
So at what point does freedom of religion end? I'm asking seriously.
CM probably also believes that if there is a law outlawing religion they shouldn't make a religious exception.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: June 26, 2015, 10:09:47 AM »
Not sure but I would say safety and health issues are possibilities.
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: June 26, 2015, 10:17:48 AM »
CM probably also believes that if there is a law outlawing religion they shouldn't make a religious exception.
Today must be Friday.  :P

Offline Achas Veachas

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #1523 on: June 26, 2015, 10:24:14 AM »
Not sure but I would say safety and health issues are possibilities.
I would tend to agree, if certain religious practices were found to definitely have adverse health and/or safety issues for the public or for minors who can't legally consent, I would say religious exemptions shouldn't be allowed.

Online Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #1524 on: June 26, 2015, 10:28:19 AM »
I would tend to agree, if certain religious practices were found to definitely have adverse health and/or safety issues for the public or for minors who can't legally consent, I would say religious exemptions shouldn't be allowed.

So only for the public? What about one's own child - can one endanger him/her based on religious custom?

And in the case of circumcision, where there are no universally accepted dangers OR benefits. Should you be given a religious exemption to mutilate the body of an unconsenting child?

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: June 26, 2015, 10:29:38 AM »
Remember the bill we are talking about you can have it both ways. Homeschool your children.

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #1526 on: June 26, 2015, 10:36:45 AM »
So only for the public? What about one's own child - can one endanger him/her based on religious custom?

Did you read my post?

And in the case of circumcision, where there are no universally accepted dangers OR benefits. Should you be given a religious exemption to mutilate the body of an unconsenting child?

As long as there are no proven dangers I would say religious exemptions should be allowed, those who follow the religion believe that the religious benefits are enough to justify the "mutilation" concerns..

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: June 26, 2015, 10:42:39 AM »
No but I would not consider circumcision the same as mutilation.

Online Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #1528 on: June 26, 2015, 10:48:45 AM »
Did you read my post?
As long as there are no proven dangers I would say religious exemptions should be allowed, those who follow the religion believe that the religious benefits are enough to justify the "mutilation" concerns..

Yes I did read it. And, as stated, I want very badly to agree with you and take your stance. I'm just pointing out that it is not so ridiculous to worry about a slippery slope in this instance. There are fine lines, and once freedom of religion is eroded somewhat, it gets easier to chip away.

Based on your comments, you would effectively be pro metzitzah b'peh being illegal, as there has been a proven public health risk. (I guess that would depend on how you classify "public") Am I wrong?

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #1529 on: June 26, 2015, 11:02:44 AM »
Based on your comments, you would effectively be pro metzitzah b'peh being illegal, as there has been a proven public health risk. (I guess that would depend on how you classify "public") Am I wrong?
IF it would be proven that MBP poses a health risk I (as well as every Rov and Mohel I know) would be pro making it illegal. Such a risk has not been proven yet.

Please let's not derail this thread into MBP though.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #1530 on: June 26, 2015, 11:51:22 AM »
There have been all sorts of laws throughout history which were ostensibly for "important societal needs" while their entire purpose was against various religious laws. Judaism has experienced much of this with laws against ritual slaughter and circumcision and other religious items which persist to this day even in the free world. I am sure other religions have experience similar laws as well. It is only due to the strict scrutiny which the courts apply to such rules under the US constitution that these are not prevalent here.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline thaber

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile

Offline henche

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: June 28, 2015, 10:32:37 AM »
Relevant to many of the issues raised http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-could-california-s-proposed-vaccine-law-be-unconstitutional-20150625-story.html

It's sunday, so I'll give some relevant background.

The general rule used to be that in order for a law to be able to infringe on religious liberty, the law had to be "narrowly tailored to a compelling state interest."  "Narrowly tailored" means the law is not over or under inclusive--that is, that it addresses exactly the state interest and only the state interest (so if the state interest is against burning kids to molech, it can't say "no molech fires" (overinclusive) and it can't apply only to kid under 5 (underinclusive).  "Compelling state interest" means very important.

However, as we know, the supreme court likes to make guidelines, and then likes to just do whatever it wants in the next case regardless of the guidelines.  So when the case came up that Native Americans use peyote in their religious rituals, the supreme court couldn't allow that because they don't care about Native Americans' religions.  So they made a new rule that if the law is facially neutral, then you don't need to be narrowly tailored to a compelling state interest.  Facially neutral means that the law was made not specifically aimed at a religious practice, but just to apply to everyone.  So if you make a law that peyote is illegal, and you weren't thinking about native americans, then they don't get an exemption.  Law professors like to say pshat that if the law is facially neutral, then you'll probably be able to get an exemption by lobbying.  Of course that doesn't always work, especially if you are native american.

Applying that here (which may or may not be useful), if they had originally just not made an exemption, it would have been fine just like the peyote. But since they made an exemption and are now taking it away with a law that directly speaks to religious practice, I think you'd apply the narrowly tailored to compelling state interest test.  So is it narrowly tailored? Hard to say that ALL the vaccines are a compelling state interest, all of a sudden.  Maybe the TDP, maybe the MMR, maybe a few others. Tetanus? Hepatitis B? It seems overinclusive.

Offline thaber

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: June 28, 2015, 10:45:28 AM »
Thank you

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: June 28, 2015, 11:23:51 AM »

The general rule used to be that in order for a law to be able to infringe on religious liberty, the law had to be "narrowly tailored to a compelling state interest."  "Narrowly tailored" means the law is not over or under inclusive--that is, that it addresses exactly the state interest and only the state interest (so if the state interest is against burning kids to molech, it can't say "no molech fires" (overinclusive) and it can't apply only to kid under 5 (underinclusive).  "Compelling state interest" means very important.

However, as we know, the supreme court likes to make guidelines, and then likes to just do whatever it wants in the next case regardless of the guidelines.  So when the case came up that Native Americans use peyote in their religious rituals, the supreme court couldn't allow that because they don't care about Native Americans' religions.  So they made a new rule that if the law is facially neutral, then you don't need to be narrowly tailored to a compelling state interest.  Facially neutral means that the law was made not specifically aimed at a religious practice, but just to apply to everyone.  So if you make a law that peyote is illegal, and you weren't thinking about native americans, then they don't get an exemption.  Law professors like to say pshat that if the law is facially neutral, then you'll probably be able to get an exemption by lobbying.  Of course that doesn't always work, especially if you are native american.

Applying that here (which may or may not be useful), if they had originally just not made an exemption, it would have been fine just like the peyote. But since they made an exemption and are now taking it away with a law that directly speaks to religious practice, I think you'd apply the narrowly tailored to compelling state interest test.  So is it narrowly tailored? Hard to say that ALL the vaccines are a compelling state interest, all of a sudden.  Maybe the TDP, maybe the MMR, maybe a few others. Tetanus? Hepatitis B? It seems overinclusive.
How about circumcision? This does not only apply to Judaism. If they banned this practice there could be no religious exemption since it applies to everyone (facially neutral) or is my simple mind not following this?  :)

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: June 28, 2015, 11:30:15 AM »
How about circumcision? This does not only apply to Judaism. If they banned this practice there could be no religious exemption since it applies to everyone (facially neutral) or is my simple mind not following this?  :)

Based on current precedent, it seems that if they banned circumcision generally, for reasons unrelated to religion, that would be fine.  Your mind is following it precisely.

Offline elit

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: June 28, 2015, 11:56:21 AM »

Wasn't there another ruling after the peyote ruling that seemed to contradict or limit that ruling?

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: June 28, 2015, 01:00:16 PM »
Wasn't there another ruling after the peyote ruling that seemed to contradict or limit that ruling?

You're talking about the cubans slaughtering goats in florida case?

I hold that there were no real chiddushim in that. I incorporate that idea into smith.

Offline elit

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: June 28, 2015, 01:34:50 PM »
You're talking about the cubans slaughtering goats in florida case?

I hold that there were no real chiddushim in that. I incorporate that idea into smith.
Im not that informed on this topic. Just heard a speech on it recently and i thought i recall the speaker saying something like that

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: June 28, 2015, 02:09:44 PM »
Im not that informed on this topic. Just heard a speech on it recently and i thought i recall the speaker saying something like that

Yah, Lukumi.