Topic Wiki

The wiki is divided into groups for "fact" and "opinion." Please feel free to add whichever facts you know and opinions you have. Please try to avoid cluttering the wiki with unnecessary information such as outside links.

Please do not delete anything from this wiki.  If you disagree with an opinion, feel free to post your own. If you disagree with a fact--well, that's your opinion, and feel free to post it under opinions!

Facts
The flu vaccine causes more deaths per year than chicken pox.
The direct injection of RSV immunoglobulin, commonly known as the "RSV vaccine" would prevent 16x more deaths than the flu vaccine does, but is too expensive.
There is a vaccine for the plague, and that is why it is no longer an epidemic.
Ebola is caused by vaccines.
There is a vaccine for autism, but it causes mumps.

Opinions
Vaccines do not contain thimerosal, a known toxin.
If you snuck up on your neighbor's kid and cut open his skull, you would be arrested.  But when brain surgeons do it, and charge hundreds of thousands of dollars, it considered "medicine."
99% of vaccines do not cause autism (HT JJ1000).
Every pedi has seen healthy kids become sick physically & mentally hours after a vax (HT Baryochai)
Vaccines cause cancer, infertility, astma, adhd etc (HT Baryochai)

Poll

Did You Get The Flu Vaccine This Winter?

Yes (Shot)
112 (38.6%)
Yes (Nasal Spray)
5 (1.7%)
No
173 (59.7%)

Total Members Voted: 289

Author Topic: Vaccine Discussion Master Thread  (Read 200193 times)

Offline henche

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Vaccine Discussion Master Thread
« Reply #495 on: January 16, 2014, 11:00:43 AM »
I'm not suspicious of drug companies: they don't hide their agenda, they are out to make money.
I'm suspicious of govt departments who say they have my interest in mind, but then hide or obfuscate information. Because I can't tell which team they're on.

Offline Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: January 16, 2014, 11:47:05 AM »
I'm not suspicious of drug companies: they don't hide their agenda, they are out to make money.
I'm suspicious of govt departments who say they have my interest in mind, but then hide or obfuscate information. Because I can't tell which team they're on.

Do you trust your doctor's suggestions? Seriously, not being sarcastic.

Everyone is out to make money. Whether it is drug companies, used car salesmen or lawyers. The key is to find a professional that you trust. The same is true for doctors. I find it strange that people will obviously defer to their lawyers', pilots' and accountants' expertise, but when it comes to medical issues? Mommy bloggers seem to be trusted way more than knowledgeable, credentialed doctors.
Quote from: ExGingi
[Stating things eloquently] seems to be Yehuda57's job around here :)

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #497 on: January 16, 2014, 12:02:38 PM »
Do you trust your doctor's suggestions? Seriously, not being sarcastic.

Everyone is out to make money. Whether it is drug companies, used car salesmen or lawyers. The key is to find a professional that you trust. The same is true for doctors. I find it strange that people will obviously defer to their lawyers', pilots' and accountants' expertise, but when it comes to medical issues? Mommy bloggers seem to be trusted way more than knowledgeable, credentialed doctors.

I expect all of them to explain competing risks to me if it is something ill be able to somewhat understand and make the decision I'm comfortable with. Do you think your lawyer just decides on his own what to file?

Offline YankyDoodle

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: January 16, 2014, 12:05:03 PM »
I expect all of them to explain competing risks to me if it is something ill be able to somewhat understand and make the decision I'm comfortable with. Do you think your lawyer just decides on his own what to file?

Every doctor I know does that. I would be shocked if they did not give you a paper (or at least a short shpiel) with the risks and possible side effects of a procedure. Major grounds for lawsuit and loss of licensure.

The CDC and other govt agencies job is very clear, minimize public health risks. Doctors generally don't have this mentality (although they occasionally overlap).

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
« Reply #499 on: January 16, 2014, 12:13:51 PM »

1000% - I trust my doctor because he explains and gives me the options. We're probably in agreement. But far too many people go in to the doctor's office with a NO EVIL DRUG COMPANY PRODUCTS NEAR MY CHILD attitude which is both harmful to them and the community.

It's sad to me that doctors have to be almost apologetic and ask if you will allow them to treat your children the way they have been trained to, or if you would rather listen to crunchy moms on the internet.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #500 on: January 16, 2014, 12:39:10 PM »

The CDC and other govt agencies job is very clear, minimize public health risks.

That isn't very clear at all. I'm not even sure I know what it means.

And I think most people read CDC advice and assume it is advice that is best for them personally.

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
« Reply #501 on: January 16, 2014, 12:41:59 PM »

And I think most people read CDC advice and assume it is advice that is best for them personally.

I wouldn't assume most people read CDC advice at all!  ;)

Offline YankyDoodle

• View Profile
« Reply #502 on: January 16, 2014, 12:45:30 PM »

You know exactly what that means as you've aptly indicated in your earlier comments. It is a utilitarian view on the health of all people living in America. This is typically how government works in general. Is it best for you that the speed limit is 35? It would be anarchy if there were no regulations or guidelines but it would be best for me if I could drive any speed I want. As with most things in life we have to give (in the form or responsibilities) if we want to take (in the form of rights). The difference is that with healthcare there is a lot more concern for the negative consequences (and rightfully so), shortsighted as they might be.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #503 on: January 16, 2014, 12:50:53 PM »
You know exactly what that means as you've aptly indicated in your earlier comments. It is a utilitarian view on the health of all people living in America. This is typically how government works in general. Is it best for you that the speed limit is 35? It would be anarchy if there were no regulations or guidelines but it would be best for me if I could drive any speed I want. As with most things in life we have to give (in the form or responsibilities) if we want to take (in the form of rights). The difference is that with healthcare there is a lot more concern for the negative consequences (and rightfully so), shortsighted as they might be.

Agreed. And I'm not advocating anyone break the law. And there's no law which says I need to get a flu vaccine.

Offline YankyDoodle

• View Profile
« Reply #504 on: January 16, 2014, 01:10:20 PM »
Agreed. And I'm not advocating anyone break the law. And there's no law which says I need to get a flu vaccine.

All true, unfortunately common sense often cannot be mandated (and I'm not referring to the flu vaccine specifically).

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #505 on: January 16, 2014, 01:13:49 PM »
All true, unfortunately common sense often cannot be mandated (and I'm not referring to the flu vaccine specifically).

But see above, that you agreed it isn't necessarily common sense at the personal level?

Offline YankyDoodle

• View Profile
« Reply #506 on: January 16, 2014, 01:15:48 PM »
But see above, that you agreed it isn't necessarily common sense at the personal level?
See bolded quote.
I was speaking in generalities.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #507 on: January 16, 2014, 01:36:44 PM »
Ahh, gotcha.

Offline Barryg

• View Profile
« Reply #508 on: January 17, 2014, 02:38:49 AM »
@ YankyDoodle, will respond, eventually, no time before Shabbos, sorry about the delay...

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16441
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime Plat, DL Dirt, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, National EE, Hertz PC
« Reply #509 on: January 17, 2014, 01:46:15 PM »

Let's all skip the flu shot and dress more modestly, that ought to do it!

Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.