Topic Wiki

The wiki is divided into groups for "fact" and "opinion." Please feel free to add whichever facts you know and opinions you have. Please try to avoid cluttering the wiki with unnecessary information such as outside links.

Please do not delete anything from this wiki.  If you disagree with an opinion, feel free to post your own. If you disagree with a fact--well, that's your opinion, and feel free to post it under opinions!

Facts
The flu vaccine causes more deaths per year than chicken pox.
The direct injection of RSV immunoglobulin, commonly known as the "RSV vaccine" would prevent 16x more deaths than the flu vaccine does, but is too expensive.
There is a vaccine for the plague, and that is why it is no longer an epidemic.
Ebola is caused by vaccines.
There is a vaccine for autism, but it causes mumps.

Opinions
Vaccines do not contain thimerosal, a known toxin.
If you snuck up on your neighbor's kid and cut open his skull, you would be arrested.  But when brain surgeons do it, and charge hundreds of thousands of dollars, it considered "medicine."
99% of vaccines do not cause autism (HT JJ1000).
Every pedi has seen healthy kids become sick physically & mentally hours after a vax (HT Baryochai)
Vaccines cause cancer, infertility, astma, adhd etc (HT Baryochai)

Poll

Did You Get The Flu Vaccine This Winter?

Yes (Shot)
121 (37.6%)
Yes (Nasal Spray)
5 (1.6%)
No
196 (60.9%)

Total Members Voted: 320

Author Topic: Vaccine Discussion Master Thread  (Read 555695 times)

Online zh cohen

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Vaccine Discussion Master Thread
« Reply #2320 on: November 29, 2018, 02:45:50 AM »

Second, I have seen firsthand multiple times people ask R’ Shmuel if they should vax and he said something to the tune of “Chas Vesholom”.

Wow! Has anyone ever asked him why?

Offline thaber

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2321 on: November 29, 2018, 03:01:33 AM »
. Second, I have seen firsthand multiple times people ask R’ Shmuel if they should vax and he said something to the tune of “Chas Vesholom”.
Next time you're at one of these sightings, please ask him why, and if he'd be willing to sign a public proclamation to that effect. and if he says no ask him why not.

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: November 29, 2018, 07:07:41 AM »
A of big talmid of Rav shmuels baby dieda few years ago from preventable menigites. Needless to say he is now pro vax.

Offline shmielyosef

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: November 29, 2018, 07:54:54 AM »
You can slow down the schedule, etc. But it should be done with medical advice, and by all means, find a doctor who understands your perspective.
There aren't any respectful doctors that would agree to that. The idea comes from anti-vaxxers, one of the main geniuses behind the idea is a "doctor" named Bob Sears, who agreed that scientifically he doesn't have any reasoning or proof that its any better, but his job is to make parents comfortable... He also still believes that vaccines cause autism despite the fact that it has been disproven so many times over and over... His words are, "vaccines don't cause autism, besides for when they do"... Utter brilliance.
Finding a doctor who understands your perspective is like telling someone to find a rov who paskens like u wish...

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: November 29, 2018, 08:00:44 AM »
I vax and I think antivaxxers ares mostly nuts.

But from a Daas Torah perspective, R’ Shmuel kamenetsky and R‘ Malkiel  Kotler, two of the leading gedolei poskim verabbanim in America, are both vehemently antivax. And the central Agudah/Moetzes has never put out anything pro vaccination publicly. Just saying.
If a person asks their shaalos to one of the aforementioned two, then we have something to talk about. But a person has no right to cherrypick a rov if that rov is essentially a daas yochid.

Offline shmielyosef

• View Profile
Vaccine Discussion Master Thread
« Reply #2325 on: November 29, 2018, 08:00:58 AM »
I vax and I think antivaxxers ares mostly nuts.

But from a Daas Torah perspective, R’ Shmuel kamenetsky and R‘ Malkiel  Kotler, two of the leading gedolei poskim verabbanim in America, are both vehemently antivax. And the central Agudah/Moetzes has never put out anything pro vaccination publicly. Just saying.
About the Agudah, come on, this is a contemporary issue, they would have spoken up of they didn’t have something/one holding them back.

About R’ Shmuel and R’ Malkiel, first of all saying to respect others’ opinions and allow unvaccinated children to be in school and in contact with other kids puts them in danger, which is completely not right, unless you believe it’s shtusim. Second, I have seen firsthand multiple times people ask R’ Shmuel if they should vax and he said something to the tune of “Chas Vesholom”.
It is true. I know of someone that spoke to reb shmuel and told him he doesn't vaccinate "ברוכים תהיו".
However, Reb Shmuel is heavily influenced by his wife that believes that vaccines are a deliberate attempt by germany to sterilize the population.
Recently a few doctors set up a meeting with him at a wedding to discuss Vaccinations. As soon as the doctors started arguing back with what he was saying, his daughters shlepped him away, while screaming at the doctors that "it's not kavod hatorah.". So i have a hard time believing that he did his own independent research and paskened based on that.
When asked about the kid in israel that died from the measles he said it was fake news and the kid really died from something else...
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 09:45:07 AM by shmielyosef »

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #2326 on: November 29, 2018, 08:01:11 AM »
There aren't any respectful doctors that would agree to that. The idea comes from anti-vaxxers, one of the main geniuses behind the idea is a "doctor" named Bob Sears, who agreed that scientifically he doesn't have any reasoning or proof that its any better, but his job is to make parents comfortable... He also still believes that vaccines cause autism despite the fact that it has been disproven so many times over and over... His words are, "vaccines don't cause autism, besides for when they do"... Utter brilliance.
Finding a doctor who understands your perspective is like telling someone to find a rov who paskens like u wish...
If it means that more parents will vaccinate, which doctor would not agree?

Offline shmielyosef

• View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: November 29, 2018, 08:05:26 AM »
If it means that more parents will vaccinate, which doctor would not agree?
I don't know about that. But young babies are definitely more vulnerable to catching diseases, and pushing off any vaccine is leaving them susceptible to disease. Why can't people hear that as part of the general reason to vaccinate and not try to approach medical decisions with hergesh? As @thaber himself said regarding cancer

Offline shmielyosef

• View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: November 29, 2018, 08:13:21 AM »
I meant to point out that the idea comes from anti-vaxxers, which some of their luminaries have been asked if they would feel responsible if someone based on their rhetoric wouldn't vaccinate, and their child would die from a vaccine preventable disease, they said they wouldn't... They just keep bashing the CDC FDA NIH etc without actually doing anything positive. The argument "too many, too soon" is just another one of those

Offline thaber

• View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: November 29, 2018, 08:14:06 AM »
Not true. Most pediatricians, when there's no active cases, are ok with delaying the second mmr a few months etc.

Offline shmielyosef

• View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: November 29, 2018, 08:16:18 AM »
Not true. Most pediatricians, when there's no active cases, are ok with delaying the second mmr a few months etc.
That's different then just spacing them out so u feel less guilty about ur child being poked too much

Offline shmielyosef

• View Profile
Vaccine Discussion Master Thread
« Reply #2331 on: November 29, 2018, 08:20:53 AM »
Also, is this a fact or assumption?
And why would you even want to do that? There's no reason to believe that it's any better that way

Offline thaber

• View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: November 29, 2018, 08:24:22 AM »
Also, is this a fact or assumption?
The most is an assumption, based on my experience with my kids pediatricians, including Dr shanik when I lived in Lakewood. It was a while ago and I'd expect he's more hard line now, but my wife suffered from the aforementioned guilt, and his office was ok with it

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: November 29, 2018, 08:26:04 AM »
Ok with not throwing out the patient who insists on it, doesn't mean they are "ok with it"

Offline shmielyosef

• View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: November 29, 2018, 08:26:11 AM »
The most is an assumption, based on my experience with my kids pediatricians, including Dr shanik when I lived in Lakewood. It was a while ago and I'd expect he's more hard line now, but my wife suffered from the aforementioned guilt, and his office was ok with it
People should realize that this reasoning comes from anti-vaxxers who just feel they can reach the general crowd better by not sounding so hardline

Offline shmielyosef

• View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: November 29, 2018, 08:27:27 AM »
People should realize that this reasoning comes from anti-vaxxers who just feel they can reach the general crowd better by not sounding so hardline
Or because their previous arguments were refuted so many times

Offline thaber

• View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: November 29, 2018, 08:30:04 AM »
Ok with not throwing out the patient who insists on it, doesn't mean they are "ok with it"
Granted
Granted. But  if it helps them get vaccinated it doesn't bother me

Offline shmielyosef

• View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: November 29, 2018, 08:32:09 AM »
GrantedGranted. But  if it helps them get vaccinated it doesn't bother me
But by parroting those arguments people are opening the door to babies catching diseases they're susceptible to when they're at that age.

Offline Boruch999

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: November 29, 2018, 08:38:30 AM »
How does this

When asked about the kid in israel that died from the measles he said it was fake news and the kid really died from something else...

shtim with

A of big talmid of Rav shmuels baby dieda few years ago from preventable menigites. Needless to say he is now pro vax.

Offline shaulyaakov

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: November 29, 2018, 09:16:35 AM »
As long as "Gedolim" are literally endangering the public, people should boycott their shiurim, sefarim, and institutions (and most importantly, their donations).

There's not one shred of Halacha to support this position, and they are in a clear minority. It's not so different than Lev Tahor or any other radical group/