Topic Wiki

The wiki is divided into groups for "fact" and "opinion." Please feel free to add whichever facts you know and opinions you have. Please try to avoid cluttering the wiki with unnecessary information such as outside links.

Please do not delete anything from this wiki.  If you disagree with an opinion, feel free to post your own. If you disagree with a fact--well, that's your opinion, and feel free to post it under opinions!

Facts
The flu vaccine causes more deaths per year than chicken pox.
The direct injection of RSV immunoglobulin, commonly known as the "RSV vaccine" would prevent 16x more deaths than the flu vaccine does, but is too expensive.
There is a vaccine for the plague, and that is why it is no longer an epidemic.
Ebola is caused by vaccines.
There is a vaccine for autism, but it causes mumps.

Opinions
Vaccines do not contain thimerosal, a known toxin.
If you snuck up on your neighbor's kid and cut open his skull, you would be arrested.  But when brain surgeons do it, and charge hundreds of thousands of dollars, it considered "medicine."
99% of vaccines do not cause autism (HT JJ1000).
Every pedi has seen healthy kids become sick physically & mentally hours after a vax (HT Baryochai)
Vaccines cause cancer, infertility, astma, adhd etc (HT Baryochai)

Poll

Did You Get The Flu Vaccine This Winter?

Yes (Shot)
121 (37.6%)
Yes (Nasal Spray)
5 (1.6%)
No
196 (60.9%)

Total Members Voted: 320

Author Topic: Vaccine Discussion Master Thread  (Read 544403 times)

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Vaccine Discussion Master Thread
« Reply #2660 on: May 13, 2019, 10:30:14 PM »
Actually it was suggested by the doctor. I won't keep having this conversation because it seems (and you can correct me if I am wrong) that think there is no way possible that any sort of reaction (even small) could be caused by vaccines.  So we just disagree.

Again, I don't have a name. I'd have to go back and watch various interviews etc. You have to weed them out of all the extreme views on both sides.    Those people are shouting from the rooftops.

And there are plenty of people I know personally as well who have their concerns with vaccines but still vaccinate. 
Now you've met one :)
Maybe watch the video. Do you agree with the facts as presented? Or are you skeptical?
If you agree with the facts and are still "really concerned" about vaccinating, you would have to concede that this is not a normal concern from a rational place.

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2661 on: May 13, 2019, 10:30:41 PM »
There are no "real concerns". They are just in your head.
Most people "concerned" usually have close relative diagnosed with a condition that would be easier to accept if they could blame vaccines.. never scientific or real.

You are what is called a "vaccine skeptic". A very dangerous group, though not as deadly as full anti vaxxers or militant anti vaxers, still very risky.

And it's reactions like this that also make it for anyone who has any concerns to not even be able to say anything.
I am not a skeptic. I have no doubt vaccines save lives. I believe in vaccinating.
and BH I have no relatives or people I know of personally even that have anything that they believe came from vaccines.
   I don't worry about vaccines causing autism specifically even. That's not really on my radar. I just have concerns about the like I do other things as well. Like various medications...
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline shmielyosef

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2662 on: May 13, 2019, 10:31:10 PM »
I hear. You're right. They are. And that's what they are saying. But right now I think they should focus on best trying to reach the "anti vaxxers" or anyone not vaccinating and explain to them why they should. Not just call everyone crazy and deny all risk etc.

Wouldn't that be the right psychological approach? 
That's my thought anyways.
Antivaxxers are saying such ridiculous and misproven arguments that there's no use talking to them.
I did a lot of reading and watching on the topic and I'm quite confident to say that the people ur basing ur concerns on are closet antivax

Offline shmielyosef

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2663 on: May 13, 2019, 10:32:03 PM »
And it's reactions like this that also make it for anyone who has any concerns to not even be able to say anything.
I am not a skeptic. I have no doubt vaccines save lives. I believe in vaccinating.
and BH I have no relatives or people I know of personally even that have anything that they believe came from vaccines.
   I don't worry about vaccines causing autism specifically even. That's not really on my radar. I just have concerns about the like I do other things as well. Like various medications...
So maybe it's just plain anxiety. You don't seem to have any specific realistic concern that you believe in...

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #2664 on: May 13, 2019, 10:32:08 PM »
Maybe watch the video. Do you agree with the facts as presented? Or are you skeptical?
If you agree with the facts and are still "really concerned" about vaccinating, you would have to concede that this is not a normal concern from a rational place.

The video JJ posted? I wrote specifically I liked that video.
I thought it was done very well.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #2665 on: May 13, 2019, 10:32:54 PM »
Oh. I totally misunderstood.

I think I know the type of feeling.. it's the same anxiety of getting a cavity filled. You know it's fine but your still nervous. 99.99% emotional with .01% "real risk".

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #2666 on: May 13, 2019, 10:33:53 PM »
The video JJ posted? I wrote specifically I liked that video.
I thought it was done very well.
Do you agree or believe in the facts as presented?

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #2667 on: May 13, 2019, 10:36:32 PM »
So maybe it's just plain anxiety. You don't seem to have any specific realistic concern that you believe in...

I don't have anxiety about it. It's more a mistrust in the ingredients and reactions put into things.
It comes up less with vaccines and more with everyday medicines. I just have a general cautious about things like that. That's all.

I always feel like there are two kinds of people in the world.

One who gets prescribed a drug by a doctor and goes and fills it and takes it and the end.
And the other who gets prescribed something by a doctor and asks the doctors various questions about the drugs, about its side effects, how much it's needed, the smallest dose possible they could take, and reads up about the drug online etc.

I just fall under the second category. Not everyone does.

Some people pop Advil every other day and I'm the one who tries to only take any sort of pill only if really needed.

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #2668 on: May 13, 2019, 10:37:52 PM »
Oh. I totally misunderstood.

I think I know the type of feeling.. it's the same anxiety of getting a cavity filled. You know it's fine but your still nervous. 99.99% emotional with .01% "real risk".

The problem with this whole thing is everyone is so emotional about it. I feel your anger coming through. It's amazing. And I believe in vaccinating! This is one of the worst parts of what this whole thing has caused.

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #2669 on: May 13, 2019, 10:39:24 PM »
Do you agree or believe in the facts as presented?

I agree that the risks are so low that there is no reason to not vaccinate if you are a healthy individual.
Hence why I believe in vaccinating. :)

This isn't a topic near and dear to my heart. It just happens to be a topic we're all discussing because of the recent events.

I don't spend too much time thinking about all this.

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #2670 on: May 13, 2019, 10:41:41 PM »
Anyways- I have no need to get into an argument about all this.  But yeah, this topic def brings out the strong emotions in people. Eek!
It's been crazy.
IY"H I hope we can contain things and the numbers will stop growing.

And for anyone who comes across someone who doesn't believe in vaccinating... try to be smart and use some sechel as to how to go about getting that person to listen. Belittling people and anger won't get you far.

Offline ~King Lake~

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2671 on: May 13, 2019, 10:43:07 PM »
Anyways- I have no need to get into an argument about all this.  But yeah, this topic def brings out the strong emotions in people. Eek!
It's been crazy.
IY"H I hope we can contain things and the numbers will stop growing.

And for anyone who comes across someone who doesn't believe in vaccinating... try to be smart and use some sechel as to how to go about getting that person to listen. Anger won't get you far.
Sechel won't work in this situation
I’m in shape, round is a shape…

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #2672 on: May 13, 2019, 10:45:38 PM »
Sechel won't work in this situation

As a whole.. nothing will "work", but for one on one... sechel and wit has way more of a chance than mocking and anger. That's all.

Offline ~King Lake~

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2673 on: May 13, 2019, 10:48:23 PM »
As a whole.. nothing will "work", but for one on one... sechel and wit has way more of a chance than mocking and anger. That's all.

Won't work 1 to 1, as they are not here to listen they're here for 1 reason to fight like stupid idiots, to show the world... Not sure what they're trying to show
I’m in shape, round is a shape…

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #2674 on: May 13, 2019, 10:51:25 PM »
I don't have anxiety about it. It's more a mistrust in the ingredients and reactions put into things.
It comes up less with vaccines and more with everyday medicines. I just have a general cautious about things like that. That's all.

I always feel like there are two kinds of people in the world.

One who gets prescribed a drug by a doctor and goes and fills it and takes it and the end.
And the other who gets prescribed something by a doctor and asks the doctors various questions about the drugs, about its side effects, how much it's needed, the smallest dose possible they could take, and reads up about the drug online etc.

I just fall under the second category. Not everyone does.

Some people pop Advil every other day and I'm the one who tries to only take any sort of pill only if really needed.
These are not prescription drugs. Not even close.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #2675 on: May 13, 2019, 10:52:50 PM »

The problem with this whole thing is everyone is so emotional about it. I feel your anger coming through. It's amazing. And I believe in vaccinating! This is one of the worst parts of what this whole thing has caused.
Meh, I had a real rough day is all

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile

Offline SSLPhD

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2677 on: May 13, 2019, 11:04:51 PM »
I believe in 1) vaccinating 2) on schedule and 3) dismissing people's concerns and/or the people who have concerns is counter-productive.
44/50, 46/63

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #2678 on: May 13, 2019, 11:19:32 PM »
Why are they reaching out to folks on the above locals rather than Passaic, five towns, etc.? Perhaps because the latter have the education and access to information that makes them less likely to swallow the hogwash being peddled by the organizers?
In the Orthodox Jewish community it tilts heavily in that direction. Look at Williamsburg vs. Baltimore, for example and tell me which of the two has a large group of anti-vaxxers?
YCQ
https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/about/press/pr2019/flushing-school-closed-violating-coh-measles-order.page
Not disputing what appears to be the overall trend, but this school in Queens is solidly in the modern orthodox camp.

Offline thaber

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile