Topic Wiki

The wiki is divided into groups for "fact" and "opinion." Please feel free to add whichever facts you know and opinions you have. Please try to avoid cluttering the wiki with unnecessary information such as outside links.

Please do not delete anything from this wiki.  If you disagree with an opinion, feel free to post your own. If you disagree with a fact--well, that's your opinion, and feel free to post it under opinions!

Facts
The flu vaccine causes more deaths per year than chicken pox.
The direct injection of RSV immunoglobulin, commonly known as the "RSV vaccine" would prevent 16x more deaths than the flu vaccine does, but is too expensive.
There is a vaccine for the plague, and that is why it is no longer an epidemic.
Ebola is caused by vaccines.
There is a vaccine for autism, but it causes mumps.

Opinions
Vaccines do not contain thimerosal, a known toxin.
If you snuck up on your neighbor's kid and cut open his skull, you would be arrested.  But when brain surgeons do it, and charge hundreds of thousands of dollars, it considered "medicine."
99% of vaccines do not cause autism (HT JJ1000).
Every pedi has seen healthy kids become sick physically & mentally hours after a vax (HT Baryochai)
Vaccines cause cancer, infertility, astma, adhd etc (HT Baryochai)

Poll

Did You Get The Flu Vaccine This Winter?

Yes (Shot)
121 (37.6%)
Yes (Nasal Spray)
5 (1.6%)
No
196 (60.9%)

Total Members Voted: 320

Author Topic: Vaccine Discussion Master Thread  (Read 544648 times)

Offline henche

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Did You Get The Flu Vaccine This Winter?
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2013, 10:31:26 AM »
It is given out for free in school; you just line up and sign the waiver and they stick you.

But, I didn't get it. I've never gotten the flu in my life, so I think the chances are pretty low. Multiply that by the harm that the flu causes, which is pretty low, and you get very low. Compare that to your arm aching for an afternoon, and the possibility of side effects--including the flu--and it isn't at all clear that it makes any sense to get it.

But now that it's an epidemic, I'm considering it. But I probably still won't.

Offline Lamdan

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2013, 10:33:13 AM »
It is given out for free in school; you just line up and sign the waiver and they stick you.

But, I didn't get it. I've never gotten the flu in my life, so I think the chances are pretty low. Multiply that by the harm that the flu causes, which is pretty low, and you get very low. Compare that to your arm aching for an afternoon, and the possibility of side effects--including the flu--and it isn't at all clear that it makes any sense to get it.

I didn't take it yet, but those that took it told me it's a very unpainful shot.
DD.com Main Site Deals 0 = DDF Loser

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2013, 10:44:09 AM »

Getting the flu is not a known side affect.
The viruses in inactivated influenza vaccine have been killed, so you cannot get influenza from the vaccine.

Offline YankyDoodle

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2013, 10:48:45 AM »
Getting the flu is not a known side affect.
The viruses in inactivated influenza vaccine have been killed, so you cannot get influenza from the vaccine.

It is possible to get mild flu-like symptoms. If anyone has had the flu (especially this year's strain) you would have wished you had gotten the flu shot. I know I do... was too difficult to get up here in the Great White North.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2013, 11:36:49 AM »

I have multiple relatives sick in bed with high fevers and throwing up with the flu this season.  It went through entire Pittsburgh chabad yeshiva and got nearly everyone there sick.
Besides for hundreds of thousands of sick Americans there are tens of thousands of American deaths.  That's hardly nothing.

Either way I was vaccinated (as can anyone from 2-49) by nasal mist.  No pain, no side affects for 99.99% of people.
As for the doctors doing this to make money? I've seen the compensation, they make literally a couple dollars from my insurance company, that alone would be incentive not to offer it :P
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Barryg

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2013, 11:46:12 AM »
The overwhelming majority of doctors, by a very big margin, say that it's safe. Please answer what's the incentive for them to lie. And if you say they're paid off by Big Pharma, then you're a clown!

What's the incentive for the overwhelming majority of doctors to lie??

Until this question is answered, the conversation is over, IMHO.

Who said the doctors lie, maybe they don't know... Let's say the doctors, to the best of their knowledge, know that it's good, they are now telling you the truth that they think you should have every shot out there. I still will do my own research, now that I know that there is another side to the story, hear them out and judge on my own.
If it is true that anyone is lying it is the system that educates the doctors, the ones that allow the vaccines to be in the system in the first place, and ppl like this clown

Then there’s Paul Offit, perhaps the most widely-quoted defender of vaccine safety.

He’s gone so far as to say babies can tolerate “10,000 vaccines at once.”

This is how Offit described himself in a previous interview: “I’m the chief of infectious disease at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia and a professor of pediatrics at Penn’s medical school,” he said.

Offit was not willing to be interviewed on this subject but like others in this CBS News investigation, he has strong industry ties. In fact, he’s a vaccine industry insider.

I already posted links to other side of story, here it is again... You can bash what I say since I am not knowledgeable in the field, I am just an innocent bystander juding 2 sides of a story: Find something wrong with what they say and I will reconsider...

google Dr Tenpenny youtube...
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/10/31/flu-vaccination-epa-safety-limit-for-mercury.aspx
http://drtenpenny.com/the-truth-about-the-flu-shot/

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2013, 11:47:29 AM »
There are many creepy people in my town who are spreading the nearly eradicated Whooping cough, pertussis. They have actually murdered a friend of mines baby. Many people are not aware that adults should get a booster shot as they may be able to carry the disease in a mild form and C"V pass it on to babies and cause death and brain damage, or just a few weeks in the ICu. Also all pregnant woman in the third trimester should get a booster for pertussis and a flu shot to protect the newborn in the first two months of its life from these maniac families who blindly follow kookey conspiracy theories instead of listening to good doctors and rabbonim.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2013, 11:48:55 AM »
Who said the doctors lie, maybe they don't know... Let's say the doctors, to the best of their knowledge, know that it's good, they are now telling you the truth that they think you should have every shot out there. I still will do my own research, now that I know that there is another side to the story, hear them out and judge on my own.
If it is true that anyone is lying it is the system that educates the doctors, the ones that allow the vaccines to be in the system in the first place, and ppl like this clown

Then there’s Paul Offit, perhaps the most widely-quoted defender of vaccine safety.

He’s gone so far as to say babies can tolerate “10,000 vaccines at once.”

This is how Offit described himself in a previous interview: “I’m the chief of infectious disease at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia and a professor of pediatrics at Penn’s medical school,” he said.

Offit was not willing to be interviewed on this subject but like others in this CBS News investigation, he has strong industry ties. In fact, he’s a vaccine industry insider.

I already posted links to other side of story, here it is again... You can bash what I say since I am not knowledgeable in the field, I am just an innocent bystander juding 2 sides of a story: Find something wrong with what they say and I will reconsider...

google Dr Tenpenny youtube...
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/10/31/flu-vaccination-epa-safety-limit-for-mercury.aspx
http://drtenpenny.com/the-truth-about-the-flu-shot/
Hardly two sides, A couple of penny doctors verses the entire scientific community.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2013, 11:52:50 AM »
One more thing: Sadly, usually the most militant anti shot people are parents of autistic children who lack enough faith, and are desperately seeking someone to blame.
I know this is harsh but its the sad reality.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2013, 11:52:54 AM »
Oh, I'm not believing a conspiracy. But, for a healthy young person, there really is no lasting effect of getting the flu. You get sick for a few days--but people get sick for a few days all the time.

And I have personally never ever gotten the flu. Or, if I did, it felt the same as any other cold I've gotten. So I'm hardly convinced that I should be scared.

Do you buy insurance in case your house burns down? Yes.
Do you buy insurance in case you rip your suit? No. Because it's not such a big deal.

Offline Achas Veachas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2013, 11:54:02 AM »
Hardly two sides, A couple of penny doctors verses the entire scientific community.
+1
Theres 2 sides to every story, moon landing hoax, UFO abductions, 9-11 truthers you name it.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2013, 11:54:35 AM »
Oh, I'm not believing a conspiracy. But, for a healthy young person, there really is no lasting effect of getting the flu. You get sick for a few days--but people get sick for a few days all the time.

And I have personally never ever gotten the flu. Or, if I did, it felt the same as any other cold I've gotten. So I'm hardly convinced that I should be scared.

Do you buy insurance in case you rip your suit? No. Because it's not such a big deal.
BTW getting a bad flu really sucks.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2013, 11:56:34 AM »

Fair enough, but you don't know who you'll pass it onto.
For me as a parent it's a no-brainer.  But even otherwise who knows the consequences of who you will be responsible for giving it to and if they are more vulnerable than you.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2013, 11:57:51 AM »
Fair enough, but you don't know who you'll pass it onto.
For me as a parent it's a no-brainer.  But even otherwise who knows the consequences of who you will be responsible for giving it to and if they are more vulnerable than you.

Hmmm. I didn't think of that. Lemme think about that.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2013, 11:58:40 AM »

Plus if you have a real Job can you afford to be out for ten days?

Offline Barryg

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2013, 11:59:07 AM »
I have multiple relatives sick in bed with high fevers and throwing up with the flu this season.  It went through entire Pittsburgh chabad yeshiva and got nearly everyone there sick.
Besides for hundreds of thousands of sick Americans there are tens of thousands of American deaths.  That's hardly nothing.
Did they?
Quote from Dr Mercola
"Optimize your vitamin D levels. As I've previously reported, optimizing your vitamin D levels is one of the absolute best strategies for avoiding infections of ALL kinds, and vitamin D deficiency is likely the TRUE culprit behind the seasonality of the flu -- not the flu virus itself. This is probably the single most important and least expensive action you can take. Regularly monitor your vitamin D levels to confirm your levels are within the therapeutic range of 50-70 ng/ml.
Ideally, you'll want to get all your vitamin D from sun exposure or a safe tanning bed, but as a last resort you can take an oral vitamin D3 supplement. According to the latest review by Carole Baggerly (Grassrootshealth.org), adults need about 8,000 IU's a day."

Either way I was vaccinated (as can anyone from 2-49) by nasal mist.  No pain, no side affects for 99.99% of people.
As for the doctors doing this to make money? I've seen the compensation, they make literally a couple dollars from my insurance company, that alone would be incentive not to offer it :P

So far I was commenting on the shot... I can ask my sources and let you know (my future opinion) about the mist. And you can always take vitamin D3 as well (if you really want to be protected from the flu, you can do a 2bm of vaccine +vitamins as it won't change your credit score). We don't get much sun exposure in winter so look up the kosher vitamin store.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2013, 12:03:01 PM »
ROFL...get your D3 by exposing yourself to solar radiation and put yourself at great risk for skin cancer better than having a vaccine.
Oh wait, maybe skin cancer is only caused by vaccines ::)

And I know people taking D3 supplements who got the flu...what a bunch of malarkey.  I didn't realize Clevelanders were into this tinfoil hat crap as well, thought it was an NY disease :P

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2013, 12:07:54 PM »
Plus if you have a real Job can you afford to be out for ten days?

law school is hardly a real job. I can be out for weeks.

3L   8)

Offline Barryg

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2013, 12:08:17 PM »

My religious beliefs are also in the minority, yet I don't look at the other side, see that they are entire community and join... Concept of majority rules works in things like Halacha, G-d and Rabbi's never told me to go like majority in these matters. Anyways, please see the other side, and what they have to say, see if you find some parts to disagree with them (not me). Btw it's many more than 2, I just brought 2 sources that were helpful to me...

Offline Barryg

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2013, 12:16:51 PM »
ROFL...get your D3 by exposing yourself to solar radiation and put yourself at great risk for skin cancer better than having a vaccine.
Oh wait, maybe skin cancer is only caused by vaccines ::)

And I know people taking D3 supplements who got the flu...what a bunch of malarkey.  I didn't realize Clevelanders were into this tinfoil hat crap as well, thought it was an NY disease :P
I knew from beginning that taking sides publically on vaccines would bring some pretty strong opposition, see my first comment on the subject... As for bashing vitamin D, I don't think you'll find many doctors to agree that it's bad for you. It is prob one of the most important things to improve health...
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2008/12/16/my-one-hour-vitamin-d-lecture-to-clear-up-all-your-confusion-on-this-vital-nutrient.aspx