Topic Wiki

The wiki is divided into groups for "fact" and "opinion." Please feel free to add whichever facts you know and opinions you have. Please try to avoid cluttering the wiki with unnecessary information such as outside links.

Please do not delete anything from this wiki.  If you disagree with an opinion, feel free to post your own. If you disagree with a fact--well, that's your opinion, and feel free to post it under opinions!

Facts
The flu vaccine causes more deaths per year than chicken pox.
The direct injection of RSV immunoglobulin, commonly known as the "RSV vaccine" would prevent 16x more deaths than the flu vaccine does, but is too expensive.
There is a vaccine for the plague, and that is why it is no longer an epidemic.
Ebola is caused by vaccines.
There is a vaccine for autism, but it causes mumps.

Opinions
Vaccines do not contain thimerosal, a known toxin.
If you snuck up on your neighbor's kid and cut open his skull, you would be arrested.  But when brain surgeons do it, and charge hundreds of thousands of dollars, it considered "medicine."
99% of vaccines do not cause autism (HT JJ1000).
Every pedi has seen healthy kids become sick physically & mentally hours after a vax (HT Baryochai)
Vaccines cause cancer, infertility, astma, adhd etc (HT Baryochai)

Poll

Did You Get The Flu Vaccine This Winter?

Yes (Shot)
121 (37.6%)
Yes (Nasal Spray)
5 (1.6%)
No
196 (60.9%)

Total Members Voted: 320

Author Topic: Vaccine Discussion Master Thread  (Read 544602 times)

Offline Achas Veachas

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
Re: Did You Get The Flu Vaccine This Winter?
« Reply #100 on: January 14, 2013, 09:59:53 AM »
... and while you're doing it check up on your vitamin D3 levels...
Ask him to check their vitamin D levels...
??? ???
There's a lot more to a healthy immune system than just vitamin D you know...

Offline Barryg

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 14, 2013, 10:41:17 AM »
Well aware, but I feel it's too much even to ask for the basic of basics. (We'll see if there is a response) Tafasta meruba lo tafasta...

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 14, 2013, 12:11:51 PM »
I'm convinced. Getting jabbed right now.

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #103 on: January 14, 2013, 12:12:34 PM »
I'm convinced. Getting jabbed right now.
You should try the spray.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 14, 2013, 12:46:21 PM »
Jab is free from school. I don't pay for what I can get free.

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 14, 2013, 12:47:43 PM »
Where can I get the spray besides a doctors office?
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #106 on: January 14, 2013, 12:49:31 PM »
My wife and I got the spray when taking Rafi for his last checkup.  Rafi was the most excited, no shots or sprays for him this time!
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 14, 2013, 12:50:23 PM »
Appreciate the link to some relevant info. Read the article and more importantly the comments... Apparently some highly educated ppl duel it out to some degree and both sides have some good points. For example, do babies in our community really need hepB vaccine as a baby? Has any study been done to show that the amount of aluminum given to young babies is safe in the long run? And the obvious point from the pro-vax side that studies show that vaccines indeed do help eradicate dangerous illnesses (so to not vaccinate at all = not a great plan either).

My conclusion at this point:
Vaccinate = good idea
Vaccinate at current schedule including all optional (aka, hepB to babies chicken pox and flu shot) = Do your own homework and while you're doing it check up on your vitamin D3 levels...
The problem is that a layman like yourself is not qualified to make a medical decision. Imagine a doc told someone he needs a surgery, the most the patient should do is seek a second opinion from a respected highly trained doctor. Googling it is just ridicules.
I bet you that if I wanted I can take a very ignorant am hoarets and convince him that it permitted to cook xyz on shabbos. Il quote reshonim and achronim and present a very good argument.
Do you see the problem? Neurotic mothers should listen to the doctors, not decide medical issues.

Offline Achas Veachas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #108 on: January 14, 2013, 01:07:13 PM »
The problem is that a layman like yourself is not qualified to make a medical decision. Imagine a doc told someone he needs a surgery, the most the patient should do is seek a second opinion from a respected highly trained doctor. Googling it is just ridicules.
I bet you that if I wanted I can take a very ignorant am hoarets and convince him that it permitted to cook xyz on shabbos. Il quote reshonim and achronim and present a very good argument.
Do you see the problem? Neurotic mothers should listen to the doctors, not decide medical issues.
+1
Google is NOT a source of reliable information, at best it's good enough to let you know what to ask your doctor. The internet seems to be populated mostly by morons (for example Googling "did the holocaust happen" will bring you to a whole bunch of holocaust deniers).

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #109 on: January 14, 2013, 01:08:22 PM »
+1
Google is NOT a source of reliable information, at best it's good enough to let you know what to ask your doctor. The internet seems to be populated mostly by morons (for example Googling "did the holocaust happen" will bring you to a whole bunch of holocaust deniers).
+∞
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Barryg

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 14, 2013, 01:28:08 PM »

You are correct, which is why I didn't make a decision. If I did, I wouldn't have read the articles that ppl of forum sent (including comments), I would have just dismissed it. I'd prefer to update the mashal... Let's say a mechanic told me that I needed 10 things done on my used car (he is the highest educated mechanic in the city), I then go to a guy who fixes cars in his driveway and he says need 1/10 shows me why and goes down list of other nine saying five you don't need at all and other four need in a year maybe, but not now. I then go, now that he showed me around and research on my own. Then I decide to fix 3/10 for now while looking into the rest, all the while not denying the expert is correct, just waiting for more info. I wouldn't actually do this with a car, but health is far more important.
I have spoken with multiple doctors about the subject, again, 2 sides, very complicated.
I don't feel that I have the right to quote them, and wouldn't want to take what one said and quote without permission.
If you're ignorant am haaretz that you are trying to scam went ahead and googled, you heter might not pass the google test. (I am not saying to google Shailas)
I am not a mother, hence the guy's name.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 01:35:22 PM by Barryg »

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 14, 2013, 01:30:15 PM »
(AFAICR i didnt send any articles)

Offline Barryg

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 14, 2013, 01:35:44 PM »
(AFAICR i didnt send any articles)

I corrected my post... sorry

Offline skyguy918

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 14, 2013, 04:38:07 PM »
There's a pediatrician in my neighborhood who doesn't give chickenpox vaccines, and sends patients to get infected from other kids in the neighborhood with chickenpox.

Discuss  ;D

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 14, 2013, 04:40:07 PM »
There's a pediatrician in my neighborhood who doesn't give chickenpox vaccines, and sends patients to get infected from other kids in the neighborhood with chickenpox.

Discuss  ;D
I may be mistaken, but isn't Shingles only a problem for people who have once had Chicken Pox?  Why should anyone be at risk of that anymore?

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 14, 2013, 04:43:41 PM »
I may be mistaken, but isn't Shingles only a problem for people who have once had Chicken Pox?  Why should anyone be at risk of that anymore?

I did shingles. It's way overrated, in my opinion. Not as bad as the flu.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 14, 2013, 04:44:42 PM »
I did shingles. It's way overrated, in my opinion. Not as bad as the flu.
FWIU it's much worse in the elderly.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 14, 2013, 04:46:46 PM »

I think you're over my head already.  :P

My understanding of her position is that it's better that the children get it now when the effects are fairly minor. She doesn't want to give them the vaccine because she feels that it's not been fully researched and understood as well as some of the other vaccines out there, or something to that effect.

I don't have first hand experience, it's the pediatrician my sister and brother use for their kids. We're not up to it yet but I'm pretty sure our pediatrician gives the vaccine.

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 14, 2013, 04:47:40 PM »
FWIU it's much worse in the elderly.
A lot worse than the flu.
"Elvis Has Left The Building"

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 14, 2013, 04:48:49 PM »
I don't have first hand experience, it's the pediatrician my sister and brother use for their kids.
Sounds like a quack to me.  Why would it be approved without the proper research?
And find out more about Shingles.