Topic Wiki

The wiki is divided into groups for "fact" and "opinion." Please feel free to add whichever facts you know and opinions you have. Please try to avoid cluttering the wiki with unnecessary information such as outside links.

Please do not delete anything from this wiki.  If you disagree with an opinion, feel free to post your own. If you disagree with a fact--well, that's your opinion, and feel free to post it under opinions!

Facts
The flu vaccine causes more deaths per year than chicken pox.
The direct injection of RSV immunoglobulin, commonly known as the "RSV vaccine" would prevent 16x more deaths than the flu vaccine does, but is too expensive.
There is a vaccine for the plague, and that is why it is no longer an epidemic.
Ebola is caused by vaccines.
There is a vaccine for autism, but it causes mumps.

Opinions
Vaccines do not contain thimerosal, a known toxin.
If you snuck up on your neighbor's kid and cut open his skull, you would be arrested.  But when brain surgeons do it, and charge hundreds of thousands of dollars, it considered "medicine."
99% of vaccines do not cause autism (HT JJ1000).
Every pedi has seen healthy kids become sick physically & mentally hours after a vax (HT Baryochai)
Vaccines cause cancer, infertility, astma, adhd etc (HT Baryochai)

Poll

Did You Get The Flu Vaccine This Winter?

Yes (Shot)
121 (37.6%)
Yes (Nasal Spray)
5 (1.6%)
No
196 (60.9%)

Total Members Voted: 320

Author Topic: Vaccine Discussion Master Thread  (Read 542394 times)

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Vaccine Discussion Master Thread
« Reply #480 on: January 15, 2014, 02:32:40 PM »
Don't forget the vitamin D3...
Btw you don't have to wait until ppl around you have the flu to start taking vitamin D3...
Funny that you have no problem recommending vitamins to people who have anxiety about taking substances that are recommended by the scientific community and have been extensively tested to be one hundred percent safe. (flu vaccine) Meanwhile vitamins can cause more harm than good for many... 

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/85/1/6.full
The potential for high serum calcium to produce adverse physiologic effects warrants selection of this endpoint as the critical effect, ie, the adverse effect occurring at the lowest dosage, a selection consistent with that of the FNB in 1997. Excessive vitamin D intake is associated with additional significant clinical adverse effects, including pain, conjunctivitis, anorexia, fever, chills, thirst, vomiting, and weight loss. These are all due to hypercalcemia and occur only at very high vitamin D intakes. By themselves, these symptoms do not qualify as the critical effect in a risk assessment (59). Hypercalciuria (defined as 24-h calcium-to-creatinine molar ratios >1) may be a more sensitive indicator of vitamin D adverse effects than is hypercalcemia. However, this ratio may change for reasons other than calcium or vitamin D effects; eg, changes or differences in urinary creatinine unrelated to calcium metabolism will alter this ratio.

The recently published Women's Health Initiative (WHI) involving calcium and vitamin D3 supplementation has raised concerns about the potential for this combination to increase the risk of renal stones (60). The study involved nearly 36 000 postmenopausal women who were randomly assigned to receive either 1000 mg calcium and 10 μg (400 IU) vitamin D3/d or placebo, with an average follow up of 7 y. With respect to safety, results showed a significant 17% increased risk of renal stone formation in the supplement group (449 cases) compared with the placebo group (381 cases). The high use of self-selected supplements indicates that calcium intake in the experimental group was upwards of 2000 mg. In view of the vitamin D supplement levels of several hundred micrograms that have been administered experimentally without any hypercalcemia, it seems unlikely that the vitamin D treatment contributed to the excess risk of renal stones.

Offline Achas Veachas

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #481 on: January 15, 2014, 02:36:40 PM »
Funny that you have no problem recommending vitamins to people who have anxiety about taking substances that are recommended by the scientific community and have been extensively tested to be one hundred percent safe. (flu vaccine) Meanwhile vitamins can cause more harm than good for many... 

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/85/1/6.full
Oy! Again with FACTS ::)

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #482 on: January 15, 2014, 02:39:04 PM »
Oy! Again with FACTS ::)
It was a google result... Vitamins do have dangerous side affects for some and are generally not recommended by most doctors. The flu shot is the exact opposite.

Offline jaywhy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: January 15, 2014, 02:41:44 PM »
It was a google result... Vitamins do have dangerous side affects for some and are generally not recommended by most doctors. The flu shot is the exact opposite.
Lol. Your head is so far in the sand, I'm surprised you're still able to breath :D

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #484 on: January 15, 2014, 02:44:30 PM »
Lol. Your head is so far in the sand, I'm surprised you're still able to breath :D
So you guys are only anxious about things recommended by the doctors?

I guess its good that its not just a general anxiety disorder.

#glasshalffull

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #486 on: January 15, 2014, 02:48:45 PM »
So you guys are only anxious about things recommended by the doctors?

I guess its good that its not just a general anxiety disorder.

#glasshalffull
Don't you know doctors are evil and are paid off by the drug companies? Vitamin producers and marketers on the other hand...

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #487 on: January 15, 2014, 02:59:33 PM »
I'm getting confused. I thought churnbaby was on my side and was being facetious when he wrote this:
Why on earth should I think that there are any risks? The educated medical community has deemed them safe. There is absolutely no evidence of any risk.
If anything its only the ignorant who have are concerned.
but now it seems like he's serious.

Churn: Yes, they are deemed safe, but that doesn't mean "no risk". It means "benefits to society outweigh the risks to society". Like automobiles, which are safe even though they have risks. And like eating chicken which is safe even though it has risks, and like bypass surgery which is safe even though it has risks...

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #488 on: January 15, 2014, 03:25:14 PM »
I'm getting confused. I thought churnbaby was on my side and was being facetious when he wrote this:but now it seems like he's serious.

Churn: Yes, they are deemed safe, but that doesn't mean "no risk". It means "benefits to society outweigh the risks to society". Like automobiles, which are safe even though they have risks. And like eating chicken which is safe even though it has risks, and like bypass surgery which is safe even though it has risks...
sorry bud, I was being serious. Flu vaccines are as risky as eating chicken. Thats MHO :)

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #489 on: January 15, 2014, 03:31:11 PM »
sorry bud, I was being serious. Flu vaccines are as risky as eating chicken. Thats MHO :)
לא דק
I don't have the numbers but I'm sure there are way more chicken related deaths each year than vaccine related deaths.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #490 on: January 15, 2014, 04:32:40 PM »
לא דק
I don't have the numbers but I'm sure there are way more chicken related deaths each year than vaccine related deaths.

Yup. There are many many chicken related deaths. And if I was being pressured to eat chicken by the government and assured that there was "no risk", I think I'd be rightly surprised.

Offline skyguy918

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: January 15, 2014, 05:17:04 PM »
לא דק
You'd need percentages, not raw numbers. Not saying it changes the outcome, but it may.

Offline Barryg

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: January 16, 2014, 12:52:43 AM »
http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevensalzberg/2014/01/13/the-top-six-vitamins-you-shouldnt-take/
1. He got blasted in comments by real dr.'s.
2. He tried to answer saying that his article was only referring to ppl that aren't deficient in Vitamin D. IMHO - most of us in this part of the Hemisphere, are very low in Vitamin D - especially in the winter.
3. Their experiments and tests give ppl 400IU or 800IU per day. Acc. to ppl. that know more than me about this stuff that amount of vitamin D wouldn't help one that is already deficient, especially in that age group. I'd like to see a test that they give them 4000IU-5000IU/day.
4. He's wrong.
I take vitamin D supplements.  But going to a tanning salon to get D3, that's ludicrous.

Offline YankyDoodle

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: January 16, 2014, 10:41:53 AM »
@Barryg

Vitamin supplements are a very touchy subject nowadays in the medical community. Recent data shows that unless there is a clear deficiency in a specific vitamin, there is little benefit to taking most supplements and it may possibly be harmful.

Regarding Vitamin D specifically one must be very careful. some vitamins are water soluble (they travel in liquid) and are easily excreted from the body. Some are fat soluble and are stored in the body for long periods of time. Vitamin D (and A, E, and K) are fat soluble and therefore pose a serious risk for overdose (called toxicity).

I'm not saying people shouldn't take supplements, just that people should be smart and careful and discuss it with a competent health/nutrition expert.

I find it curious though that the same people (I am not indicating anyone specific from DDF, just a worldly observation) who seem to be the most suspicious of the drug companies (due to their lust for money) have no such reservations about the integrity of the for-profit MVM (multivitamin and mineral) companies.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #494 on: January 16, 2014, 10:48:53 AM »
@Barryg

I find it curious though that the same people (I am not indicating anyone specific from DDF, just a worldly observation) who seem to be the most suspicious of the drug companies (due to their lust for money) have no such reservations about the integrity of the for-profit MVM (multivitamin and mineral) companies.
+1
Mindblowing

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #495 on: January 16, 2014, 11:00:43 AM »
I'm not suspicious of drug companies: they don't hide their agenda, they are out to make money.
I'm suspicious of govt departments who say they have my interest in mind, but then hide or obfuscate information. Because I can't tell which team they're on.

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #496 on: January 16, 2014, 11:47:05 AM »
I'm not suspicious of drug companies: they don't hide their agenda, they are out to make money.
I'm suspicious of govt departments who say they have my interest in mind, but then hide or obfuscate information. Because I can't tell which team they're on.

Do you trust your doctor's suggestions? Seriously, not being sarcastic.

Everyone is out to make money. Whether it is drug companies, used car salesmen or lawyers. The key is to find a professional that you trust. The same is true for doctors. I find it strange that people will obviously defer to their lawyers', pilots' and accountants' expertise, but when it comes to medical issues? Mommy bloggers seem to be trusted way more than knowledgeable, credentialed doctors.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #497 on: January 16, 2014, 12:02:38 PM »
Do you trust your doctor's suggestions? Seriously, not being sarcastic.

Everyone is out to make money. Whether it is drug companies, used car salesmen or lawyers. The key is to find a professional that you trust. The same is true for doctors. I find it strange that people will obviously defer to their lawyers', pilots' and accountants' expertise, but when it comes to medical issues? Mommy bloggers seem to be trusted way more than knowledgeable, credentialed doctors.

I expect all of them to explain competing risks to me if it is something ill be able to somewhat understand and make the decision I'm comfortable with. Do you think your lawyer just decides on his own what to file?

Offline YankyDoodle

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: January 16, 2014, 12:05:03 PM »
I expect all of them to explain competing risks to me if it is something ill be able to somewhat understand and make the decision I'm comfortable with. Do you think your lawyer just decides on his own what to file?

Every doctor I know does that. I would be shocked if they did not give you a paper (or at least a short shpiel) with the risks and possible side effects of a procedure. Major grounds for lawsuit and loss of licensure.

The CDC and other govt agencies job is very clear, minimize public health risks. Doctors generally don't have this mentality (although they occasionally overlap).

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #499 on: January 16, 2014, 12:13:51 PM »

1000% - I trust my doctor because he explains and gives me the options. We're probably in agreement. But far too many people go in to the doctor's office with a NO EVIL DRUG COMPANY PRODUCTS NEAR MY CHILD attitude which is both harmful to them and the community.

It's sad to me that doctors have to be almost apologetic and ask if you will allow them to treat your children the way they have been trained to, or if you would rather listen to crunchy moms on the internet.