Topic Wiki

The wiki is divided into groups for "fact" and "opinion." Please feel free to add whichever facts you know and opinions you have. Please try to avoid cluttering the wiki with unnecessary information such as outside links.

Please do not delete anything from this wiki.  If you disagree with an opinion, feel free to post your own. If you disagree with a fact--well, that's your opinion, and feel free to post it under opinions!

Facts
The flu vaccine causes more deaths per year than chicken pox.
The direct injection of RSV immunoglobulin, commonly known as the "RSV vaccine" would prevent 16x more deaths than the flu vaccine does, but is too expensive.
There is a vaccine for the plague, and that is why it is no longer an epidemic.
Ebola is caused by vaccines.
There is a vaccine for autism, but it causes mumps.

Opinions
Vaccines do not contain thimerosal, a known toxin.
If you snuck up on your neighbor's kid and cut open his skull, you would be arrested.  But when brain surgeons do it, and charge hundreds of thousands of dollars, it considered "medicine."
99% of vaccines do not cause autism (HT JJ1000).
Every pedi has seen healthy kids become sick physically & mentally hours after a vax (HT Baryochai)
Vaccines cause cancer, infertility, astma, adhd etc (HT Baryochai)

Poll

Did You Get The Flu Vaccine This Winter?

Yes (Shot)
121 (37.6%)
Yes (Nasal Spray)
5 (1.6%)
No
196 (60.9%)

Total Members Voted: 320

Author Topic: Vaccine Discussion Master Thread  (Read 544580 times)

Offline henche

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Vaccine Discussion Master Thread
« Reply #520 on: January 22, 2014, 07:55:00 PM »
How did you miss it?
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=24137.msg704510#msg704510

I mean, would it be weird if organic food were also tied to autism? It would make sense that an increase in organic food sales is correlated with an increase in use of pesticides in the food most people are eating, and it would not be strange if that caused autism

Offline Achas Veachas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #521 on: January 22, 2014, 07:59:59 PM »
I mean, would it be weird if organic food were also tied to autism? It would make sense that an increase in organic food sales is correlated with an increase in use of pesticides in the food most people are eating, and it would not be strange if that caused autism
Why would there be more pesticides used just because more people are buying organic? ???

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #522 on: January 22, 2014, 08:23:59 PM »
Why would there be more pesticides used just because more people are buying organic? ???

The opposite. People would buy more organic if there are more pesticides used. Hence, seeing people buy more organic may be the result of more pesticides being used.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #524 on: January 23, 2014, 07:18:40 PM »
Running 102. Have hours of work left to do tonight. Totally getting the flu.

But that won't stop me from posting.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #525 on: January 23, 2014, 07:32:28 PM »
Running 102. Have hours of work left to do tonight. Totally getting the flu.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #526 on: January 23, 2014, 07:46:53 PM »
lol

I hope you one day have the tax issues I'm researching tonight.

Offline Menachem613

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: January 23, 2014, 10:15:15 PM »

lol

I hope you one day have the tax issues I'm researching tonight.

What area?

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #528 on: January 23, 2014, 11:05:25 PM »
Can't tell!!!

(But you're probably have a lot of money if you're dealing with it)

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #530 on: January 26, 2014, 12:50:43 PM »
Repost!!!

(And btw, I totally didn't have the flu.)

Offline YankyDoodle

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: January 26, 2014, 02:47:39 PM »
Has anyone here not gotten the polio vaccine?

Offline Barryg

• View Profile
« Reply #532 on: February 02, 2014, 03:12:15 AM »
@Barryg

Vitamin supplements are a very touchy subject nowadays in the medical community. Recent data shows that unless there is a clear deficiency in a specific vitamin, there is little benefit to taking most supplements and it may possibly be harmful.

Regarding Vitamin D specifically one must be very careful. some vitamins are water soluble (they travel in liquid) and are easily excreted from the body. Some are fat soluble and are stored in the body for long periods of time. Vitamin D (and A, E, and K) are fat soluble and therefore pose a serious risk for overdose (called toxicity).

I'm not saying people shouldn't take supplements, just that people should be smart and careful and discuss it with a competent health/nutrition expert.

I find it curious though that the same people (I am not indicating anyone specific from DDF, just a worldly observation) who seem to be the most suspicious of the drug companies (due to their lust for money) have no such reservations about the integrity of the for-profit MVM (multivitamin and mineral) companies.
I personally don't get much vitamin d from food...
http://www.webmd.com/osteoporosis/features/the-truth-about-vitamin-d-vitamin-d-food-sources
Though we have seen more sun than indicated here http://www.weather.com/weather/monthly/44118?month=-1 I don't believe the average person in our neck of the woods gets enough sunlight.
So, even if they were making a killing, I would still think that it's a good idea to splurge and buy vitamin d3 in addition to or instead of flu shots, (let alone all the other things vitamin D deficiency may cause). Happens to be that even kosher vitamin d is rather inexpensive. Have any better ideas than supplements? http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vitamin-d/how-do-i-get-the-vitamin-d-my-body-needs/ They don't...
As far as not absorbing, why not just take with meal http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20100507/take-vitamin-d-with-largest-meal (or fish oil)?
Before bashing vitamin D3 supplementing any more, please ask your doctor (after you've tested your vitamin d levels in the winter)
Thanks,
above semi rant, was not to get personal or to bash rather to open your mind (and others as well) to a not publicized issue that pretty much any doctor (in cities that have a real winter) would agree with, especially if asked...

Offline YankyDoodle

• View Profile
« Reply #533 on: February 02, 2014, 02:30:40 PM »
I personally don't get much vitamin d from food...
http://www.webmd.com/osteoporosis/features/the-truth-about-vitamin-d-vitamin-d-food-sources
Though we have seen more sun than indicated here http://www.weather.com/weather/monthly/44118?month=-1 I don't believe the average person in our neck of the woods gets enough sunlight.
So, even if they were making a killing, I would still think that it's a good idea to splurge and buy vitamin d3 in addition to or instead of flu shots, (let alone all the other things vitamin D deficiency may cause). Happens to be that even kosher vitamin d is rather inexpensive. Have any better ideas than supplements? http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vitamin-d/how-do-i-get-the-vitamin-d-my-body-needs/ They don't...
As far as not absorbing, why not just take with meal http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20100507/take-vitamin-d-with-largest-meal (or fish oil)?
Before bashing vitamin D3 supplementing any more, please ask your doctor (after you've tested your vitamin d levels in the winter)
Thanks,
above semi rant, was not to get personal or to bash rather to open your mind (and others as well) to a not publicized issue that pretty much any doctor (in cities that have a real winter) would agree with, especially if asked...

Argh you missed my point (which was bolded btw)

@Barryg

I find it curious though that the same people (I am not indicating anyone specific from DDF, just a worldly observation) who seem to be the most suspicious of the drug companies (due to their lust for money) have no such reservations about the integrity of the for-profit MVM (multivitamin and mineral) companies.

There are lots of questions about the positive effects of Vitamin D supplements and many of the studies have been inconclusive at best as to their efficacy.

My point is simply that there is an equally large financial interest in the supplement market as there is in the vaccine market. Therefore, why would one trust that supplements promote health (despite real research that it is questionable) while not believing that vaccines promote health (despite not one real research study that can be replicated).

Offline Barryg

• View Profile
« Reply #534 on: February 02, 2014, 03:11:48 PM »
Argh you missed my point (which was bolded btw)

There are lots of questions about the positive effects of Vitamin D supplements and many of the studies have been inconclusive at best as to their efficacy.

My point is simply that there is an equally large financial interest in the supplement market as there is in the vaccine market. Therefore, why would one trust that supplements promote health (despite real research that it is questionable) while not believing that vaccines promote health (despite not one real research study that can be replicated).
I believe that I addressed the point even if I didn't answer fully, that sometimes in life, we buy things knowing that there is a large profit margin. If Vitamin D3 fell into this category, I would still buy. It happens to be extremely inexpensive (hence, no big financial interest) even in the kosher version...

Once on the subject, would you like to lead me to real research that proves that vitamin D3 supplements aren't good for one who is deficient?
I never said that all vaccines are equal, my main Kashyas on vaccines are flu shot (at least the shot version), chicken pox vaccine, and current schedule of vaccinations. (At least these are the only concerns that I discussed in this thread.)

Offline jaywhy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: March 03, 2014, 12:01:55 PM »
http://www.prweb.com/releases/ASOT/Thimerosal/prweb11598819.htm

For nearly ten years, Brian Hooker has been requesting documents that are kept under tight wraps by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). His more than 100 Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests have resulted in copious evidence that the vaccine preservative Thimerosal, which is still used in the flu shot that is administered to pregnant women and infants, can cause autism and other neurodevelopmental disorders.

Dr. Hooker, a PhD scientist, worked with two members of Congress to craft the letter to the CDC that recently resulted in his obtaining long-awaited data from the CDC, the significance of which is historic. According to Hooker, the data on over 400,000 infants born between 1991 and 1997, which was analyzed by CDC epidemiologist Thomas Verstraeten, MD, “proves unequivocally that in 2000, CDC officials were informed internally of the very high risk of autism, non-organic sleep disorder and speech disorder associated with Thimerosal exposure.”

Offline Menachem613

• View Profile
« Reply #536 on: March 03, 2014, 12:04:11 PM »
Yawn.

Offline jaywhy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: March 03, 2014, 12:34:01 PM »
Also of note.

Dr Poul Thorsen, who co-authored some of the most frequently cited studies concluding that there is no link between thimerosal-containing vaccines and autism, nor between the MMR vaccine and autism is now a wanted fugitive who scammed the CDC out of millions of dollars. Yet, the CDC still relies on this man’s research to make the claim that there is no link between vaccines and autism.

https://oig.hhs.gov/fraud/fugitives/profiles.asp

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #538 on: March 03, 2014, 12:53:41 PM »
Also of note.

Dr Poul Thorsen, who co-authored some of the most frequently cited studies concluding that there is no link between thimerosal-containing vaccines and autism, nor between the MMR vaccine and autism is now a wanted fugitive who scammed the CDC out of millions of dollars. Yet, the CDC still relies on this man’s research to make the claim that there is no link between vaccines and autism.

He must be pretty smart!

Offline YankyDoodle

• View Profile
« Reply #539 on: March 03, 2014, 03:22:24 PM »
Also of note.

Just want to make sure I got this right... A partial author on a study, stole money from the CDC at least a year after the study in question concluded. Based on this the CDC should stop believing that there is no known link between vaccines and autism. Instead they should rely on Andrew Wakefield, the author of the only known study to provide a link between vaccines and autism. The author who is no longer allowed to practice as a physician because he not only lied about conclusions but falsified data and made up test subjects! Again, just want to make sure I have it straight.

When someone responds with any decent answer regarding Fakefield or with an actual peer-reviewed article connecting modern vaccines with autism I will be glad to listen.