Topic Wiki

The wiki is divided into groups for "fact" and "opinion." Please feel free to add whichever facts you know and opinions you have. Please try to avoid cluttering the wiki with unnecessary information such as outside links.

Please do not delete anything from this wiki.  If you disagree with an opinion, feel free to post your own. If you disagree with a fact--well, that's your opinion, and feel free to post it under opinions!

Facts
The flu vaccine causes more deaths per year than chicken pox.
The direct injection of RSV immunoglobulin, commonly known as the "RSV vaccine" would prevent 16x more deaths than the flu vaccine does, but is too expensive.
There is a vaccine for the plague, and that is why it is no longer an epidemic.
Ebola is caused by vaccines.
There is a vaccine for autism, but it causes mumps.

Opinions
Vaccines do not contain thimerosal, a known toxin.
If you snuck up on your neighbor's kid and cut open his skull, you would be arrested.  But when brain surgeons do it, and charge hundreds of thousands of dollars, it considered "medicine."
99% of vaccines do not cause autism (HT JJ1000).
Every pedi has seen healthy kids become sick physically & mentally hours after a vax (HT Baryochai)
Vaccines cause cancer, infertility, astma, adhd etc (HT Baryochai)

Poll

Did You Get The Flu Vaccine This Winter?

Yes (Shot)
121 (37.6%)
Yes (Nasal Spray)
5 (1.6%)
No
196 (60.9%)

Total Members Voted: 320

Author Topic: Vaccine Discussion Master Thread  (Read 544661 times)

Online CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
Re: Vaccine Discussion Master Thread
« Reply #720 on: April 09, 2014, 04:23:35 AM »
Posters are probably sick with the flu.
Not me. No shot and flu free.  :)
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline A3

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: April 09, 2014, 07:15:24 AM »
Not me. No shot and flu free.  :)

+1 for my family. Myself haven't got the flu. But took tamiflu as a precaution after I held a kid that I later found out at the swine flu.

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: April 09, 2014, 10:40:36 AM »
If you don’t want to read the science, or you just don’t believe it, go downtown to the old cemeteries that are at least a hundred years old. After passing all those tiny tombstones of the children who died from the disease that are almost unknown today you will walk out a shaken and changed person. At the turn of the twentieth century, a child had only a one in three chance of growing up. Do we really want to return to that?

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 20
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Rav Kav Platinum
Create professional looking itineraries.
Check out eliteitinerary.com

Online CountValentine

• View Profile

Offline YankyDoodle

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile

Offline gavhaller

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Chase Visa Supreme, Avis Cadillac, Hyatt Vacation Club Owner, Disney Annual-Pass Holder, BA Avios Executive Corporate Shareholder VIP, Citi Platinum Status, Owner Of DFS - Discover Financial Services
« Reply #726 on: April 10, 2014, 07:56:32 AM »
1. UN chart, compare USA to Japan 4 times as many vaccines in 1st year of life, death rate 4times as high :P

http://www.childinfo.org/files/immunization_summary_en.pdf

2. this isfrom  my pediatrician's web site  :)

http://www.betternaturalhealing.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/vaccine-and-infant-mortality-article.pdf

I grew up with every vaccine thinking it wouldn't be a problem. Now that I got married and learning new things (especially from grad school) I would definitely research before puttins something that I have no clue about into my body.
I've become much more aware of processed foods lately. So many  preservatives are linked to autism in children. It scary, actually.

Offline gavhaller

• View Profile
  • Programs: Chase Visa Supreme, Avis Cadillac, Hyatt Vacation Club Owner, Disney Annual-Pass Holder, BA Avios Executive Corporate Shareholder VIP, Citi Platinum Status, Owner Of DFS - Discover Financial Services
« Reply #727 on: April 10, 2014, 08:23:07 AM »
Did you ever compare Autism rates amongst vaxed kids vs unvaxed
Yes. I've also been involved an autism research  in undergrad. I've learnt that there were no correlations. There once was a scientist who created a false research experiment and convinced everyone that the MMR vaccine was responsible- but others proved him wrong since he had no scientific backing and his experiments were not conducted correctly.

Offline Achas Veachas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #728 on: April 10, 2014, 08:23:27 AM »
Did you ever compare Autism rates amongst vaxed kids vs unvaxed
I believe there have been quite a few studies looking into that...

Offline churnbabychurn

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: April 10, 2014, 08:32:46 AM »
I grew up with every vaccine thinking it wouldn't be a problem. Now that I got married and learning new things (especially from grad school) I would definitely research before puttins something that I have no clue about into my body.
I've become much more aware of processed foods lately. So many  preservatives are linked to autism in children. It scary, actually.
what did you learn in grad school about vaccines?

Offline gavhaller

• View Profile
« Reply #730 on: April 10, 2014, 08:42:44 AM »
what did you learn in grad school about vaccines?
Not specifically about vaccines. But about everything in general. Like I mentioned in an earlier post - the stuff that they put in food is ridiculous. One of my professors is a chiropractor. He's very interested in this stuff and holistic things so we talk about it a lot in class. He basically taught us don't just say yes because your pediatrician reccomends it. Do your own research.

Offline jaywhy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: April 10, 2014, 08:57:19 AM »
@YD, Let's bring this up again because you totally blew this off last time.  :)
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=24137.msg630419#msg630419
No I did not miss that. I looked through it then and again now.
2) The last 4 either have no mention of vaccines or are not studies and are simply speculation.
The point of those studies was to show:  A) That there is a statistically significant elevation in immune system abnormalities and emergency room visits with heavily vaccinated children.
B) That the sharp increase in ASD prevalence should not be attributed solely to better diagnostic tools/methods, which is a popular claim of people trying to explain away that increase. Remember, we are talking about a prevalence of 1 in 88 children today as opposed to 1 in 10,000 twenty years ago.

3) 5 of the articles are referring specifically to thimerosal and Hg which have not been used in childhood vaccines in over a decade now. I cannot view any of these because I do not have access to them. They all seem to be trying to prove correlation and not causation. Regardless, they aren't used now so we'll move on.

Big mistake. Thimerosal is still used in the majority of today's flu shots as well as the Td vaccine so I think these studies are still very relevant.
Either way, something that we were told for years was safe has been shown to neurodevelopmental deficiencies and was hence removed from most vaccines. Are we not justified in questioning everything else that we are told is perfectly safe?
Have you considered that the reason autism rates have only kept going up since the removal of thimerosal from most vaccines is because it's been replaced with an even more potent neurotoxin, Aluminum? 

4) There are 2 studies on vaccines within the last decade. One claims a correlation with Aluminum in the vaccines (http://omsj.org/reports/tomljenovic%202011.pdf). The study is decent but not compelling. It makes assumptions such as "we calculated the cumulative amount of Al administered from all vaccines that children receive", they argue that since in a specific disease (macrophagic myofasciitis) the Al from vaccine remains for months to years, therefore it is reasonable to assume that is the case for all vaccines. This is not a reasonable assumption to make without further evidence and calls the entire study into question. They also argue that the strength of the correlation is enough to prove causation. That is just not true, especially in light of their poor study design. Finally for the icing, at the very end it says that the study was sponsored by Neurodyn corporation. Neurodyn's co-founder is Christopher Shaw, the author of the article. From what I can gather, his company is working on alternative options to vaccines... Conflict of interest much?

The last article you quoted (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21623535) I also cannot access. All I can see is the abstract and it is not an experiment rather a study attempting to prove correlation. This is done through regression statistics accounting for a couple of factors (income, ethnicity). These types of studies are notorious for being able to be manipulated, however I will reserve judgement until a link can be provided that allows full access to the article.
You know a lot better than I do how much harder it is to prove causation from an established correlation but it is evident that there is research to be done and tough questions that need to asked by every parent before they blindly agree to the what and how often of the current vaccine schedule.

Offline jaywhy

• View Profile
« Reply #732 on: April 10, 2014, 08:58:01 AM »
Not specifically about vaccines. But about everything in general. Like I mentioned in an earlier post - the stuff that they put in food is ridiculous. One of my professors is a chiropractor. He's very interested in this stuff and holistic things so we talk about it a lot in class. He basically taught us don't just say yes because your pediatrician reccomends it. Do your own research.
Couldn't agree more.

Offline jaywhy

• View Profile
« Reply #733 on: April 10, 2014, 09:10:56 AM »
Products which strongly recommended by doctors but later shown to be extremely hazardous to human health.
Just remember. History always repeats itself.

Online Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #734 on: April 10, 2014, 09:26:50 AM »
Do your own research.

It's all good and well to say to do your own research, and it may work for you. But your average person (myself included) does not know how to properly read a real medical study, and figure out the correct conclusions. You often see real evidence matched up with anecdotal, personal incidents and people think the debate is equal. I remember the vaccination debate playing out in a Jewish women's newsletter where doctors and medical experts were placed side by side with self proclaimed "healers" and even newsletter readers - with absolutely no credentials, and people looked at them as two equal sides debating.

Find a doctor you trust (The Lubavitcher Rebbe often instructed people to "ask a doctor who is a friend")  and rely on their guidance and advice. Their medical knowledge and training will far surpass anything you can Google. And if this doctor you trust goes against medical consensus, s/he better have a good reason.

Offline jaywhy

• View Profile
« Reply #735 on: April 10, 2014, 09:36:25 AM »
Doing your own research  allows you to start asking the right questions.
You don't need a medical degree for that.

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #736 on: April 10, 2014, 09:39:38 AM »
First question I ask the doctor is if his/her kids were vaccinated.  ;)

Offline gavhaller

• View Profile
« Reply #737 on: April 10, 2014, 09:41:14 AM »

Find a doctor you trust - excellent advice
[/quote]
Simple Google searches can also help inform the public about precautions. Granted some of them can be total garbage. You can still find plenty of info without delving into research because chances are someone has already done so.

Offline gavhaller

• View Profile
« Reply #738 on: April 10, 2014, 09:41:32 AM »
You don't need a medical degree for that.
+1

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 20
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Rav Kav Platinum
« Reply #739 on: April 10, 2014, 09:41:51 AM »
I bet fake hippy doctor hacks are wrong a lot more often than western medicine.

Its like the shmiras haguf says: Yes, its assur to do home births, but anyone who does it it shota and patur min hamitzvos anyway
Create professional looking itineraries.
Check out eliteitinerary.com