Topic Wiki

The wiki is divided into groups for "fact" and "opinion." Please feel free to add whichever facts you know and opinions you have. Please try to avoid cluttering the wiki with unnecessary information such as outside links.

Please do not delete anything from this wiki.  If you disagree with an opinion, feel free to post your own. If you disagree with a fact--well, that's your opinion, and feel free to post it under opinions!

Facts
The flu vaccine causes more deaths per year than chicken pox.
The direct injection of RSV immunoglobulin, commonly known as the "RSV vaccine" would prevent 16x more deaths than the flu vaccine does, but is too expensive.
There is a vaccine for the plague, and that is why it is no longer an epidemic.
Ebola is caused by vaccines.
There is a vaccine for autism, but it causes mumps.

Opinions
Vaccines do not contain thimerosal, a known toxin.
If you snuck up on your neighbor's kid and cut open his skull, you would be arrested.  But when brain surgeons do it, and charge hundreds of thousands of dollars, it considered "medicine."
99% of vaccines do not cause autism (HT JJ1000).
Every pedi has seen healthy kids become sick physically & mentally hours after a vax (HT Baryochai)
Vaccines cause cancer, infertility, astma, adhd etc (HT Baryochai)

Poll

Did You Get The Flu Vaccine This Winter?

Yes (Shot)
121 (37.6%)
Yes (Nasal Spray)
5 (1.6%)
No
196 (60.9%)

Total Members Voted: 320

Author Topic: Vaccine Discussion Master Thread  (Read 557479 times)

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Re: Vaccine Discussion Master Thread
« Reply #1220 on: November 15, 2014, 08:15:56 PM »
Well at what point is a kid "prone" to seizures? How many 'normal' seizures after vaccination does that take?

who are you quoting with the word normal? The only one who described the seizures that way is you.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: November 15, 2014, 08:59:04 PM »
Well at what point is a kid "prone" to seizures? How many 'normal' seizures after vaccination does that take?

The more seizures a person has- the more prone he is to having more... while this sounds like a 'duh' statement, in truth- it sounds like if the first few could have been avoided- so could the rest.

From here:
http://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/Concerns/FebrileSeizures.html

and
I am having serious questions about your reading comprehension. AV was asking if the slightly increased risk of these seizures was predictable beforehand to whom they would occur. You replied with a quote that there is a slightly increased risk of them after vaccines.
  Considering that one in three children get them it doesn't seem like a very serious concern. I wouldn't wish it on anyone, but wouldn't go crazy over them.
    You then write a study which mentioned that having the flu shot with other shots increased the risk while the flu shot itself does not seem to involve any risk. If so, there is a simple answer. Just don't give them together.

Offline Achas Veachas

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #1222 on: November 15, 2014, 09:01:32 PM »
I am having serious questions about your reading comprehension....
Thanks, I was beginning to think that I was the one with reading comprehension issues...

Offline henche

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: November 15, 2014, 09:03:23 PM »
from the looks of it the prevalence of this issue can vary greatly between vaccines. It these two, one is three times more likely than the other. It is possible that others are less prevalent. I would imagine that the tolerance for side effects would be less for a vaccine for chicken pox than for polio.

Thank you, that is a really good point.  We only have the data for two vaccines, which is way too few to speculate what the risk is with other vaccines.

It may be one in 100 for the others.

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #1224 on: November 15, 2014, 09:05:20 PM »

Or one in 100,000.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: November 15, 2014, 09:13:34 PM »
Or one in 100,000.

Should do a study, now that we know there's such a risk.

And it causes seizures? That seems like quite an unrelated reaction. I mean, what does making antibodies for diptheria have to do with whatever makes seizures happen?

What other reactions does it cause that are unrelated to making antibodies that we might not know about?

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #1226 on: November 15, 2014, 09:19:27 PM »
Should do a study, now that we know there's such a risk.

And it causes seizures? That seems like quite an unrelated reaction. I mean, what does making antibodies for diptheria have to do with whatever makes seizures happen?

What other reactions does it cause that are unrelated to making antibodies that we might not know about?

From the Source of All Knowledge:
Febrile seizures are due to fevers, usually those greater than 38 °C (100.4 °F). The cause of the fevers is often a viral illness. The likelihood of a febrile seizure is related to how high the temperature reaches. Some feel that the rate of increase is not important while others feel the rate of increase is a risk factor. This latter position has not been proven.

Apparently it's not the vaccine itself that causes the seizures, it's the fever that comes along with some of them (which explains why some vaccines have a higher risk of seizures than others). Also there seems to be a genetic component so (as i speculated earlier) some children will be more prone to them than others.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 09:22:48 PM by Achas Veachas »

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: November 15, 2014, 09:21:33 PM »

From the Source of All Knowledge:
Febrile seizures are due to fevers, usually those greater than 38 °C (100.4 °F). The cause of the fevers is often a viral illness. The likelihood of a febrile seizure is related to how high the temperature reaches. Some feel that the rate of increase is not important while others feel the rate of increase is a risk factor. This latter position has not been proven.

They told us to come straight to the ER if he has a fever of 100.4

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: November 15, 2014, 09:36:32 PM »
Thank you, that is a really good point.  We only have the data for two vaccines, which is way too few to speculate what the risk is with other vaccines.

Or one in 100,000.
or 0 as his quote attributed to the flu vaccine.

Offline wayfe

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: November 15, 2014, 09:38:23 PM »
I am having serious questions about your reading comprehension. AV was asking if the slightly increased risk of these seizures was predictable beforehand to whom they would occur. You replied with a quote that there is a slightly increased risk of them after vaccines.
  Considering that one in three children get them it doesn't seem like a very serious concern. I wouldn't wish it on anyone, but wouldn't go crazy over them.
    You then write a study which mentioned that having the flu shot with other shots increased the risk while the flu shot itself does not seem to involve any risk. If so, there is a simple answer. Just don't give them together.

Have you ever had any of your kids checked to see if they are prone to seizures before being vaccinated? Whether it is predictable is not so relevant- as most kids are NOT prescreened and receiving a vaccine and sufferering a seizure can you make you more likely to be prone next time.

The other quotes were just to show that there is strong link to seizures if even the CDC will mention it.

As for risk, it is not up to you to decide what is big enough risk to worry about or not. That's for every parent to decide.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers which can't be questioned."
— Richard Feynman

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #1230 on: November 15, 2014, 09:43:15 PM »
Have you ever had any of your kids checked to see if they are prone to seizures before being vaccinated?.
Did you have your kid checked for allergies before giving him dairy/nuts/eggs/whatever?

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: November 15, 2014, 09:49:41 PM »
Did you have your kid checked for allergies before giving him dairy/nuts/eggs/whatever?
of course not, they won't have allergies without taking vaccines::)

Offline wayfe

• View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: November 15, 2014, 09:49:57 PM »

And your point is? That all parents are irresponsible?

With food allergies there is a lot more info on hand and you know more of what you're dealing with. And yes, most parents wait until a baby isn't quite so vulnerable before intoducing a child to small amounts of these foods.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers which can't be questioned."
— Richard Feynman

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #1233 on: November 15, 2014, 09:55:27 PM »
My point is that a child is a lot more likely to have a food allergy, and the consequences can be a lot worse than a seizure, yet almost no one checks before they all just give and keep an eye out for any sign of danger so why would anyone refuse a vaccine just because they didn't check if their child is the one-in-a-thousand who may develop an allergic reaction?

Tl;dr: Giving your child milk is a bigger risk than vaccinating him...

Offline wayfe

• View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: November 15, 2014, 09:58:53 PM »
My point is that a child is a lot more likely to have a food allergy, and the consequences can be a lot worse than a seizure, yet almost no one checks before they all just give and keep an eye out for any sign of danger so why would anyone refuse a vaccine just because they didn't check if their child is the one-in-a-thousand who may develop an allergic reaction?

Because vaccines are an unknown entity without enough studies done to test their short term and long term effects.

If you want to know why parents would give allergenic foods to their kids without testing them- that's a different issue.

— Richard Feynman

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #1235 on: November 15, 2014, 10:13:29 PM »
Because vaccines are an unknown entity without enough studies done to test their short term and long term effects.

Please... Your car is a much more "unknown entity" than vaccines that have been studies extensively for decades. My "certainty" that my car's brakes won't fail tomorrow ch"v is a lot smaller than the certainty that the vaccines i got as a kid won't have some mysterious "long term effect". Yet I will probably not think twice before strapping my son into the car tomorrow, and neither will you probably...

If you want to know why parents would give allergenic foods to their kids without testing them- that's a different issue.

No, I think I DO know, it's for the same reason that reasonable people give their children vaccines without worrying too much about seizures....
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 10:37:29 PM by Achas Veachas »

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: November 15, 2014, 10:52:01 PM »

The other quotes were just to show that there is strong link to seizures if even the CDC will mention it.

:-\ that is only if we subscribe to the conspiracy theories that you do. Otherwise it just means that there is a slight link.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: November 15, 2014, 11:19:56 PM »
Thanks, I was beginning to think that I was the one with reading comprehension issues...
I've had this question of reading comprehension each time someone pops in with these quotes against vaccines. The two seem correlated.

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #1238 on: November 15, 2014, 11:23:06 PM »
I've had this question of reading comprehension each time someone pops in with these quotes against vaccines. The two seem correlated.
So now NOT vaccinating causes reading comprehension issues? :P

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: November 15, 2014, 11:34:37 PM »
So now NOT vaccinating causes reading comprehension issues? :P
well, I guess after all the horrible things they try to sneak into you they must have done unintentionally good side effects.