Author Topic: Starwood hotel recommendations for kids/family within driving distance from NYC  (Read 6371 times)

Offline milechazzer

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
I would appreciate any recommendations of Starwood hotels (with Free Nights or C&P) within a several hour drive from NYC, for a trip with the kids/family (i.e., indoor pool, spacious rooms, other facilities?).  Of course, sightseeing and activities in the area are also a factor, but we'll figure that out....

Thank you

Offline yanks23321

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
I would appreciate any recommendations of Starwood hotels (with Free Nights or C&P) within a several hour drive from NYC, for a trip with the kids/family (i.e., indoor pool, spacious rooms, other facilities?).  Of course, sightseeing and activities in the area are also a factor, but we'll figure that out....

Thank you

Hi,

There is a place close enough, about 2 1/2 hr drive from brooklyn. Do you have hilton points? I am not sure if there is a starwood hotel there, but we went to Lancaster, PA and stayed in the hilton doubletree. It was perfect for families, they have an adult pool and a kids pool with a slide. My son loved the pool, we couldn't make him leave. The rooms are family friendly, (no sharp edges, carpet, and a tub to give a bath.) and they have activities for kids, which we didn't end up doing.

In the area they have dutch wonderland, (which is perfect for kids that are 2-8 or 10 not sure because my son was about 2 at the time we went). There is also a farm that we went to that had a lot to do for younger and older kids. Both places had a kosher type stand, even though they were quite expense and frozen food that they warmed up.

We also drove and saw the amish town which was interesting. There is also a steam train you can go on and an amish tour. My son was petrified of the train so we didn't do it.

This a a nice trip for a family that is close by, its about a 2 day trip, there is not a lot more to do to stretch it to more than two days.

Offline milechazzer

• View Profile
Thanks for the recommendation, but I was looking to use Starwood points (or C&P). I don't have very many Hilton points right now.

Offline SPGDUDE

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 125
    • View Profile

Offline SPGDUDE

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 125
    • View Profile

Offline milechazzer

• View Profile
Thanks for the suggestions. Anything else outside of PA that you would recommend?

Offline smart brit

• View Profile
Edison nj is the cheapest option for c&p 1 600 point and 30& its a decent hotel with a pool gym and if you have gold you can access the lounge for free breakfast, snacks and drinks. But I don't know about attractions in the area

Offline yudkay

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
hope you find what you're looking for. but when i tried booking for my family with starwood, they advised that you can only book two in a room when you book at their properties. keep that in mind.

Offline Yeki89

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Edison nj is the cheapest option for c&p 1 600 point and 30& its a decent hotel with a pool gym and if you have gold you can access the lounge for free breakfast, snacks and drinks. But I don't know about attractions in the area
there is zero attractons in the area

Offline yanks23321

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
hope you find what you're looking for. but when i tried booking for my family with starwood, they advised that you can only book two in a room when you book at their properties. keep that in mind.

I am not sure what your basing this on, but I am booked in the Four Points Sheraton in Miami Beach, FL all on Starpoints (thanks to Dan and the Forum) and I am going with my wife and two kids. (I booked it as 2 adults and two kids)

If anything you just book the hotel as two people and I'm sure, once you get there they won't give you a problem if your 4 especially if its your kids.

Offline Yeki89

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Kids usually not it's when they see 4 bouchrim pilling in  ;D

Offline milechazzer

• View Profile

Yup, I've been running into this issue. Trying to book a hotel in PA with C&P. Spoke to Starwood Reservations and to the hotel, and they both told me that by law, they can only put a rollaway in a King bed room, and cannot put a rollaway in a Double bed room (because of fire hazard?).  So they're offering either 2 double beds in a room (without a rollaway), or one king and one rollaway in a room.

Offline yanks23321

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
Yup, I've been running into this issue. Trying to book a hotel in PA with C&P. Spoke to Starwood Reservations and to the hotel, and they both told me that by law, they can only put a rollaway in a King bed room, and cannot put a rollaway in a Double bed room (because of fire hazard?).  So they're offering either 2 double beds in a room (without a rollaway), or one king and one rollaway in a room.

Ya I see that but I am reserved for a 2 double bed with a crib, hope they don't give me problems, (Do you think they would do a king bed, rollaway and a crib, not sure but I think I mentioned it and they said they were able)

Offline moko

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile

Thank you
Try the Sheraton Suites PHL. It's an airport hotel but there's plenty to see/do in PHL. every room is a proper suite with a separate bedroom with a lock on the door (not a studio or french door) a sofa bed and a kitchenette. These are IMHO very sizable suites (not on the level of Dans PH suites) and a big bang for your buck-7000 spg or 2800 spg+ $45

Offline milechazzer

• View Profile
Try the Sheraton Suites PHL. It's an airport hotel but there's plenty to see/do in PHL. every room is a proper suite with a separate bedroom with a lock on the door (not a studio or french door) a sofa bed and a kitchenette. These are IMHO very sizable suites (not on the level of Dans PH suites) and a big bang for your buck-7000 spg or 2800 spg+ $45

Thanks a lot for the recommendation. The rooms look really spacious, and we were looking at some of the hotels in Philly, but the airport location doesn't seem that ideal for shabbos

Offline milechazzer

• View Profile
I am not sure what your basing this on, but I am booked in the Four Points Sheraton in Miami Beach, FL all on Starpoints (thanks to Dan and the Forum) and I am going with my wife and two kids. (I booked it as 2 adults and two kids)

If anything you just book the hotel as two people and I'm sure, once you get there they won't give you a problem if your 4 especially if its your kids.

I wonder if they're rollaway rules are state-specific based on local fire codes

Offline moko

• View Profile
Thanks a lot for the recommendation. The rooms look really spacious, and we were looking at some of the hotels in Philly, but the airport location doesn't seem that ideal for shabbos
funny that u say this, i just started trying to gather a comprehensive list of shabbos friendly hotels (manual locks/doors, shuls up to 2 mi away, food etc.) shreraton society hill is right near  the historic PHL synagogue (orthodox-sephardic)  but i am getting conflicting reports if the hotel is shabbos friendly. (when i have a more complete list i'll start a thread, currently i have about 12 hotels diff. cities besides Stamford ct.)

Offline milechazzer

• View Profile
funny that u say this, i just started trying to gather a comprehensive list of shabbos friendly hotels (manual locks/doors, shuls up to 2 mi away, food etc.) shreraton society hill is right near  the historic PHL synagogue (orthodox-sephardic)  but i am getting conflicting reports if the hotel is shabbos friendly. (when i have a more complete list i'll start a thread, currently i have about 12 hotels diff. cities besides Stamford ct.)

Yes, that's the location I was looking at, because of the proximity to shul, and the neighborhood. While it would be nice to find a place without electronic locks, I think that's somewhat of a rarity these days. So I would figure out a "workaround" for the electric locks, and would be more concerned if the stairwells or front door are not accessible on shabbos, or if there are sensors in the room that can't be "worked-around".

Offline moko

• View Profile
Yes, that's the location I was looking at, because of the proximity to shul, and the neighborhood. While it would be nice to find a place without electronic locks, I think that's somewhat of a rarity these days. So I would figure out a "workaround" for the electric locks, and would be more concerned if the stairwells or front door are not accessible on shabbos, or if there are sensors in the room that can't be "worked-around".
i dont find sensors in american hotels to much of a problem yet. and many hotels (all in stamford ct) have both electronic locks and manual

Offline milechazzer

• View Profile
Back to the original question ... Would anyone recommend any other Starwood hotels, and does anyone have any suggestions to get 3 beds in a room, if they're telling me that they can only add a rollaway to a king room?  If I'm booked two double rooms with C&P, is there any chance I can get upgraded to a Junior Suite at check in with my Gold SPG membership, or by paying?

thx