Topic Wiki

Train from TLV to Jerusalem Central Bus Station takes 23 minutes and runs from 6:30 am to 7:30 PM in both directions.

From Jerusalem to TLV
Taxi:
02-500-0787
02-999-0999

050-653-4455

Shuttle:
02-624-7227
02-533-3425
050-230-0777

Daka 99: 170-200 ₪ 
Derech Eretz : Usually same as Daka 99
Shmuel Lieberman:
Raanan: Private driver. Usually beats Hadaka 99's price if he's available to drive then.

Nesher: 64 ₪.  They go at the top of every hour.  Must reserve 12-24 hours in advance.
Menashe Sofer (Frum Service): A few NIS more than Nesher.
Hasaah: 450 ₪ for huge van (just did with 2 parents, 3 kids, 10 bags) Shouldn't be more than 350 (If need a guy, you can PM moish)

Bus:
Option A:
1. Take Egged 947 / 950 from Central Bus Station to Tzomet El-Al.  Busses run Approximately every 20-30 min. from 6 AM to 10 PM. Takes ~40 min. Price: 25 ₪. 
2. Transfer to local bus 5 / 5A / 13 to Terminal 3. Every 20-30 min. 5:30 AM - 9:10 PM.  Price unknown. 
Option B:
Bus 485 (run by Afikim) runs approximately 5 minutes after the hour on the hour around the clock from the Jerusalem Central Bus Station (stop is in front of Mercantile Bank) to Terminal 1 and 3, and from Terminal 1 and 3 to the Jerusalem Central Bus Station. Price: ₪16.

Train רכבת:

Starting from September 2018 there is a direct train line between the airport and Jerusalem's central bus station which is at the main entrance to the city.
Train runs every half hour and cost 17 shekel per ride. I think there is a discount if you buy round trip.

To get to the train: Leave the terminal through exit 01 and it is directly on your right. You can buy a ticket from the automatic machines outside the station entrance.
Please note that the train only runs during the day and not at night. Check the Israeli rail  website in advance if you are not sure.

Israel Railway English site.

Walk: 0 NIS Takes about 13 hous and 47 minutes give or take a few depending where you start.

Author Topic: Cheapest Way TLV to Jerusalem?  (Read 162486 times)

Offline jose34

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Cheapest Way TLV to Jerusalem?
« Reply #480 on: October 03, 2018, 05:39:59 PM »

Trip Report J-Lem to Airport and Back

Train Trip Pics:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1SCMOG62-Lf0sRRdOxNG6k5FNSI0J74Hq

I took the train to try it out and some questions I had before I went was, Is it easy to get into the train station, how deep is platform and do you really have to go so far down, Is it doable with a luggage and/or kids, How long does the ride really take from leaving  Yerushalyim to arriving in the airport, Is the ride scenic, Is the ride smooth, Ultimately I wanted to know is it a good alternative to taking a tender ( shared taxi) from the airport and is using this train a good alternative to taking buses if I want to go to Tel Aviv or points farther?

To start off, there is an underground tunnel from right outside the Central Bus Station in which you can walk through. The tunnel goes under the street and under the light rail tracks and leads you straight in to the main level of Navon Train Station. The Navon Station starts off a level below ground ( -1). This the level where any non-ticketed or non-security screened passengers can go.  It also the level in which you buy train tickets, (you can also buy at ticketing area). For the first three months any train tickets you “buy” at the train station are free but specifically if you buy it at the Navon train station.  Meaning that if you want to go Haifa just purchase a round trip ticket and you can go from Yerushalyim to Haifa for free – with a stop train change in the airport. 
   There was small line for security checks, after the security checks you go down the escalator to the ticketing level, if you already “bought” your ticket then you go through the electric turnstiles in which you put your Rav Kav on the machine and the electric gates open up.  Then down three escalators, yes, three!  By the last escalator there are big huge metal doors, probably its door to the bomb shelter,  that’s where the bomb shelter starts! After the three escalators you walk down a small hallway and then there is a separation if you want to go platforms 1 & 2 or 3 & 4. Currently only platforms 1 & 2 are open. In order to get the platform you need to make a left and go down another smaller escalator and then finally you arrive at the platform level!

The train was already there when I got down there. I was probably around  8 minutes early.  The train itself was a regular Israel Railways train. There was a really small gap in between platform and train, plus one or 2 steps to get on to train. They had a few seats right when you got on and then you were able to go up or down. The top was pretty full, I assume the bottom had more room but there the train overall had lots of people on it.  There a small amount of space put suitcases in each rail car. Don’t how to describe so see picture. There are bathrooms are the train which are nice for anyone who has come from long plane ride and made sure to keep hydrated. 
             The ride is mainly in tunnels and some bridges and not that scenic. It does give a nice view of some random landscape however the most notable is bridge is the one that anyone that has been to Yerushalyim in the past 5 years have seen them building, the bridge that is along the new Highway One bridge. The bridge does offer so nice views and you ride on the bridge around 3 minutes after the Navon Train Station and the last nice view is approaching the airport you get pass by Terminal One, a view of parked airplanes and the Hertz Rental Car parking lot. 
   The ride itself took the 23 minutes, from the time we left Yershalyim till we arrived I got off the train in the airport. You arrive where all the trains arrive in the airport, a level below the arrivals.  I however turned right back around and went right back on the train. The ride back also took exactly 23 minutes. The ride back was also emptier and there less people on the train.

Arriving back in Yerushalyim at the Navon Train Station I wanted to answer my questions about it is easy to use the train with strollers and/or suitcases so I made sure to find the elevators.  The first elevator takes you from the platform to the platform split level ( you can either go to platform 1&2 or 3&4 on this level), then you need still to walk the small hallway and then instead of the 3 escalators you need can take an elevator all the way up the ticketing level, then from the elevator you need to switch elevator leave the “ticketing area” and go up another level to -1 level and from there you can take an elevator to street level. Meaning navigating four elevators.
   Overall the experience was nice and it was fun to be able to go back and forth from Yershulayim to the Airport in less than an hour.  I would definitely take the train to the airport if I was by myself and also with someone else ( aka. a wife or a friend) however If I had suitcases and a stroller I would think twice about doing it but its not crazy especially if you leave yourself enough time and you know exactly where all the elevators are and plan accordingly.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

Offline ludmila

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Diamond,Marriott Platinum,SPG Platinum.
« Reply #481 on: October 03, 2018, 06:26:19 PM »
Thanks for the detailed info, @jose34 .
I was the Best,still the Best, and will always be the Best.
Pele Good,Maradona Better, George Best.

Offline Sam Finkelstein

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: October 11, 2018, 08:03:01 AM »
So far no trains Friday and Motzaei Shabbos. Anyone know when service will be expanded?
Formula for success: rise early, work hard, strike oil. –J. Paul Getty

Offline zow

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: November 01, 2018, 03:21:16 PM »
Trip Report J-Lem to Airport and Back

Really helpful TR -- thanks for doing it and for posting it.
Mind if I clarify and ask some related questions?

1. Currently it's free (first 3 months), but only if you purchase at Navon?
2. Do I need to have a RavKav to ride, or can I purchase free-standing tickets?
3. If must have RavKav, are such cards transferable (i.e., can I use my son's?)
4. If it's not free, or when it becomes not free, what is/will be the fare o/w and/or r/t?

Offline a good yeshiva bachur

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: November 01, 2018, 04:14:16 PM »
when do the 3 free months end?

• View Profile
« Reply #485 on: November 01, 2018, 04:19:07 PM »

4. If it's not free, or when it becomes not free, what is/will be the fare o/w and/or r/t?
my brother took it o/w from the airport to Jerusalem at 6am ish took about 20 min and paid about 16 shekel and said it was great, and easy to use. (he did have a suitcase)

Offline davidrotts63

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Hyatt Member, BA Blue, Ebay banned, Amazon Prime
« Reply #486 on: November 01, 2018, 04:21:41 PM »
my brother took it o/w from the airport to Jerusalem at 6am ish took about 20 min and paid about 16 shekel and said it was great, and easy to use. (he did have a suitcase)
17 shek. I did with 2 suitcases, not that big of a deal aside from the 4 escalators in Jerusalem.
(Quit) pulling out the flowers, and watering the weeds. -Peter Lynch

• View Profile
« Reply #487 on: November 01, 2018, 04:45:05 PM »
not that big of a deal aside from the 4 escalators in Jerusalem.
nu, nu

@jose34 did you take the train at night?

does anyone know the hours of operation? i heard it closes at 7PM... anyone know?

Offline jose34

• View Profile
« Reply #488 on: November 01, 2018, 04:49:36 PM »
Trains from 6:30 am to 7:30 PM.

Nope did not take the train during the dark.

• View Profile
« Reply #489 on: November 01, 2018, 04:53:10 PM »
Trains from 6:30 am to 7:30 PM.
sunday thru thursday only?

Nope did not take the train during the dark.
my bad got confused when i saw the tunnel, the pics out the window was clearly during the day...

Offline jose34

• View Profile
« Reply #490 on: November 01, 2018, 04:55:11 PM »

Thanks;
Correct you can "purchase" a train ticket to anywhere in country for free if you buy at the ticket kiosk @  Navon. Make sure you get a roundtrip ticket.

No you just need RavKav to put the voucher on. Once in the station you purchase a free standing train ticket at one of the machines.

Theoretically, just put in his RavKav number when making the voucher reservation and make sure to bring that RavKav to the station. 

The pamphlet they gave out introducing the train says its 12 shekal and then in a few years will become 24 shekal, so maybe that is only from Navon, suprised to hear people payed 17 shek.

Offline davidrotts63

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Hyatt Member, BA Blue, Ebay banned, Amazon Prime
« Reply #491 on: November 01, 2018, 04:56:32 PM »

Thanks;
Correct you can "purchase" a train ticket to anywhere in country for free if you buy at the ticket kiosk @  Navon. Make sure you get a roundtrip ticket.

No you just need RavKav to put the voucher on. Once in the station you purchase a free standing train ticket at one of the machines.

Theoretically, just put in his RavKav number when making the voucher reservation and make sure to bring that RavKav to the station. 

The pamphlet they gave out introducing the train says its 12 shekal and then in a few years will become 24 shekal, so maybe that is only from Navon, suprised to hear people payed 17 shek.

I paid 17 shek from TLV, no Rav Kav
(Quit) pulling out the flowers, and watering the weeds. -Peter Lynch

Offline Sam Finkelstein

• View Profile
« Reply #492 on: November 01, 2018, 07:40:40 PM »

I paid 17 shek from TLV, no Rav Kav

They seem to only be tough about that and the voucher business in the Jerusalem station. My guess is because it’s easier to enforce when you have an entire station entrance you can block off.
Formula for success: rise early, work hard, strike oil. –J. Paul Getty

Offline jose34

• View Profile
« Reply #493 on: November 01, 2018, 08:24:26 PM »
They seem to only be tough about that and the voucher business in the Jerusalem station. My guess is because it’s easier to enforce when you have an entire station entrance you can block off.

There are still ways to get around, its not that hard to slip right by.

Offline eandd

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: November 01, 2018, 10:04:40 PM »
Thank you so much for taking the time to write up this excellent report!
When did those free three months start?

Offline zow

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: November 02, 2018, 05:21:54 AM »
Thanks @jose34 and others. 

Offline jose34

• View Profile
« Reply #496 on: November 03, 2018, 01:14:01 PM »
Thank you so much for taking the time to write up this excellent report!
When did those free three months start?

Tuesday of Succos is when the train started so I assume that is when the 3 months start, so I assume till sometimes in January.

Offline Sammy82

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: November 03, 2018, 09:12:50 PM »
I'm not sure I understand.
Do I need a RavKav to buy a ticket fro the airport to JRLM? Do I buy it ahead of time, in the  station, or on the train? And if I buy ahead of time for a specific train and then my flight comes in late, could I use the ticket for a later train?

Offline jose34

• View Profile
« Reply #498 on: November 04, 2018, 05:43:44 PM »
You need to have a voucher associated with a Rav Kav, you make the voucher/ reservation can do it online or call a phone number.

The actual ticket can be purchased at the station.

Offline jose34

• View Profile
« Reply #499 on: November 04, 2018, 05:46:54 PM »

Actually it seems like this whole voucher is gona end soon. They are a little strict about it but its so easy to get past them.
If you give the "voucher guards" your Rav Kav ( with out a voucher on it) and they say something, sometimes they wont even say anything, you can mumble something in English and the'll let you on.