Topic Wiki

DO THEY COUNT AS PURCHASES?
It is confirmed that Citi will consider these as a Cash Advance. They will hit you with a fee AND won't count them toward spending.

HOW TO CASH OUT?
Blue Bird: Amex gift cards cannot be used to load bluebird.
Money Orders: Many locations require a debit card with a PIN; Amex GC don't have a PIN.
Try Amazon Payments, Target Amex or MC/VS GC's from many places.
« Last edited by Cowboysuk on May 07, 2015, 02:02:47 AM »

Author Topic: Amex Free Gift Card Code (Works Great For US Mint Purchases!)  (Read 237579 times)

Offline azhoopsfan

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
I just made my first order of gift card purchases.  I'm assuming since they're "gift" cards they won't have my name printed on the cards? 

Offline steve2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Advantages of using GC's:

-Reduced risk of getting an FR due to mint purchases as now only GC purchases will show up on your AMEX.
-Ability to order more coins as you can use whatever name and billing address that you want!
-You can max out the $15K required for the bonus on the Starwood AMEX easily by ordering GC's.

Plus GC's are free for the next few months with the code supplied by the OP and there is free overnight shipping with the free 3 month trial shipping!

thinking of taking 1 for the group. already have a few *W Hotels that was charged to my CC and not even sure I will end up getting the 30k, so since I dont really want the CC but just the bonus,Im thinking of simply ordering $1k from the Mint w/o doing via the GC to see if a FR pops up,its close to $400 charged just from the Hotels so its not like its just the coins and the coins will be ordered after the other charges have hit the CC

Offline azhoopsfan

• View Profile
I also ordered $500 in coins after about $700 in normal charges.  We'll see.

Offline gozalim

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
thinking of taking 1 for the group. already have a few *W Hotels that was charged to my CC and not even sure I will end up getting the 30k, so since I dont really want the CC but just the bonus,Im thinking of simply ordering $1k from the Mint w/o doing via the GC to see if a FR pops up,its close to $400 charged just from the Hotels so its not like its just the coins and the coins will be ordered after the other charges have hit the CC
you have no other Amex cards? if they FR you for 1, they don't shut them all?

Offline steve2

• View Profile
 My CL on my new Amex SPG just was lowered by the amount I put in for the coins so far so good.

Offline azhoopsfan

• View Profile
Interestingly, I got a fraud alert email and phone call from Amex on my personal card, which I had before the 30k promo.  When I called to confirm that the charge was an unauthorized charge, the rep recited that my last charge was a charge from the mint.  I cringed as she said it (I don't want it to turn into a conversation about coins), but she made no comment and that was that. 

Unfortuantely, they insisted that my card was now comprised and wanted to issue me a knew one.  Ordinarily this is fine, but I have backordered mint purchases, which this will likely screw up. 

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Interestingly, I got a fraud alert email and phone call from Amex on my personal card, which I had before the 30k promo.  When I called to confirm that the charge was an unauthorized charge, the rep recited that my last charge was a charge from the mint.  I cringed as she said it (I don't want it to turn into a conversation about coins), but she made no comment and that was that. 

Unfortuantely, they insisted that my card was now comprised and wanted to issue me a knew one.  Ordinarily this is fine, but I have backordered mint purchases, which this will likely screw up. 
It's not worth purchasing from the mint any more without first going through a GC...too many FR's.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
It's not worth purchasing from the mint any more without first going through a GC...too many FR's.

Back when we could buy travelers checks (no fees) on Amex cards and get miles for them, I bought $5,000 worth and got F/R'd a short while later.

Any talk of anyone getting F/R'd after buying lots of gift cards?
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline steve2

• View Profile
Back when we could buy travelers checks (no fees) on Amex cards and get miles for them, I bought $5,000 worth and got F/R'd a short while later.

I was doing those TCs for well over 2 yrs and never got FRed over them,then again I stayed below the radar didnt pig out and kept it to $1k per Card and kept it below the max and simply went to a # of offices each week

Offline deals

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
what means frd frs

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus

What percent of your credit line were you using?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
What percent of your credit line were you using?

Very small percentage. I had nearly 100k with Amex. This was back when you can shuffle credit lines online, I had a total of 9 cards, and moved like 80k of credit to my starwoods.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
what means frd frs

F/R is American Express financial review, where they request additional information to confirm your credit worthiness. Quite a hassle, in my experience.

FRs is plural. FRd is past tense (i.e. Financal-Reviewed).

Offline deals

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
F/R is American Express financial review, where they request additional information to confirm your credit worthiness. Quite a hassle, in my experience.

FRs is plural. FRd is past tense (i.e. Financal-Reviewed).

thanks
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 11:32:18 AM by Eli »

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

Offline danR

• View Profile
Re: Amex Free Gift Card Code (Confirmed: Works Great For US Mint Purchases!)
« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2010, 02:59:04 PM »
Is there an updated promo code for the free shipping?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2010, 03:24:50 PM »
Is there an updated promo code for the free shipping?
You can get free shipping by signing up for trial and cancelling.
You can get the card fee waived with code: DAILYWISH

Offline azhoopsfan

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2010, 03:40:13 PM »
It would seem that these gift cards could be used easily with Amazon payments to "cash out" the gift card to your checking account almost immediately. 

Offline Yordai Dooma

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA EXP/LT Platinum, SPG gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE,
« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2010, 03:48:47 PM »
It would seem that these gift cards could be used easily with Amazon payments to "cash out" the gift card to your checking account almost immediately. 

Only up to $1000 a month. Why would you go the extra step? You buy the GC on an amex and then cash them out to your amazon account and then transfer to your checking account. Skip the gift cards and just cash out $1000 from your CC to amazon payments...

Offline azhoopsfan

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2010, 03:51:01 PM »
Only up to $1000 a month. Why would you go the extra step? You buy the GC on an amex and then cash them out to your amazon account and then transfer to your checking account. Skip the gift cards and just cash out $1000 from your CC to amazon payments...

You're right, but the gift cards provide a little more assurance that it will be treated as purchase (ie won't be a cash advance or cash equivalent) and won't likey result in a financial review.