Poll

Who works harder Law students or Med students?

Med students
22 (78.6%)
Law students
6 (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: Who works harder Law students or Med students?  (Read 7521 times)

Offline yare

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Who works harder Law students or Med students?
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2013, 09:06:44 PM »
From what I've heard standard for law graduates now a days is 12 hour work days plus many weekends.
doctors during residency are pulling 36 hour shifts on a regular basis

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2013, 09:23:14 PM »
doctors during residency are pulling 36 hour shifts on a regular basis
Daily? For many years?
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline yare

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2013, 09:25:46 PM »
Daily? For many years?
i believe residency is 2 years,  it could be it varies depending on type of doctor though, not sure

Offline Yossi.

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2013, 09:27:15 PM »
3-6 years. Depending on your specialty and if you choose to do a fellowship afterwards

Offline aussiebochur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2013, 09:34:40 PM »
Daily? For many years?
36 hours in a day...lol

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2013, 09:45:37 PM »
A lawyer has to work harder overall after school to get ahead even if a doc has it harder for the first few years.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline yare

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2013, 09:51:39 PM »
A lawyer has to work harder overall after school to get ahead even if a doc has it harder for the first few years.
depends on the lawyer.   if he's working in a big firm in the city, ya.   but if he's working at a smaller firm or various other places, the hours are much more reasonable.  noone in america works 8 hours days anymore.     

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2013, 09:57:34 PM »
depends on the lawyer.   if he's working in a big firm in the city, ya.   but if he's working at a smaller firm or various other places, the hours are much more reasonable.  noone in america works 8 hours days anymore.     
I know lawyers in small/medium size firms here and they consistently work over 12 hours/day, 5-6 days a week.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Yossi.

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2013, 09:58:55 PM »
+1 and go to the smallest hospital in america, residents will still pull insane hours

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2013, 10:01:42 PM »
+1 and go to the smallest hospital in america, residents will still pull insane hours
Again, that's just for a few years.

Offline Yossi.

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2013, 10:04:29 PM »
Again, that's just for a few years.
After residency, many doctors still work in hospitals, have their private practice, are on call, work on shabbos for some and sunday for most and have mandatory trainings and exams to take all the way till retirement.

Offline YankyDoodle

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2013, 10:08:26 AM »
It definitely depends on everyone's personal situation. A lawyer who wants to make partner in NYC is going to word harder than a GP. However a neurosurgeon is going to work harder than just about any lawyer out there... Lets not forget the stress of the jobs cannot be compared...worst case scenarios and all. Also residency is nothing to poopoo at. For surgery residencies can easily be 7+ years of literal slave labor (I don't think many typical lawyers have it that bad for that long) getting paid practically bupkis. Round at 4am, prep for surgery at 6, on your feet in surgery all day. End of day rounds at 6pm (on good days) get home in time to tuck your kids in at 7:30/8pm. That's a typical day for an attending forget about a resident!

Average lawyers have to fight for a job and money so they have their stress too.

Offline henche

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2013, 10:30:12 AM »
Lets not forget the stress of the jobs cannot be compared...worst case scenarios and all.

Exactly. If you're a doctor and mess up: worst case its wrongful death. So what are we talking? A couple mil? 50 mil?
I worked on deals as a summer associate that had more than that at stake (that is, at stake to be lost to the IRS if we messed up).

In any event, y'all should stop comparing residents with attorneys. We get it; training takes longer as a doctor. Compare working at a large law firm in NYC (or DC, or ORD, or BOS) to being a practicing doctor. And unless you are hard gunning neuro guy, the lawyers are working harder every day of the week.

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2013, 10:39:00 AM »
Exactly. If you're a doctor and mess up: worst case its wrongful death. So what are we talking? A couple mil? 50 mil?
I worked on deals as a summer associate that had more than that at stake (that is, at stake to be lost to the IRS if we messed up).
Spoken like a true cold hearted lawyer. A person losing their life because of you-no big deal, millions of dollars-big deal.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline henche

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2013, 11:04:52 AM »
Spoken like a true cold hearted lawyer. A person losing their life because of you-no big deal, millions of dollars-big deal.

In fact, doctors are the ones who decide how much lives are worth all the time. Whenever they develop a protocol for when to test for something or how to treat something, they are taking the cost into account and valuing that against the chances of saving lives.

I'm just doing Section 351 transactions and Section 368 reorganizations.

Offline elikay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Who works harder Law students or Med students?
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2013, 11:08:55 AM »
Like!

Offline YankyDoodle

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2013, 12:51:46 PM »

In any event, y'all should stop comparing residents with attorneys. We get it; training takes longer as a doctor. Compare working at a large law firm in NYC (or DC, or ORD, or BOS) to being a practicing doctor. And unless you are hard gunning neuro guy, the lawyers are working harder every day of the week.

I truly hope you are being facetious. I was not trying to put down what lawyers do and that their work is serious... but com'on.

You cannot disregard the residency years, they can easily be 1/4 of someones working career. You are choosing to compare the top guns of law vs the bottom feeders of medicine. As I mentioned in my previous post it would only be fair to compare the big law guys to the top surgery docs and likewise for those lower down the totem pole.

Bottom line; everyone works hard. The same lawyer gunning for big law would be the med student gunning for plastics. The real question is who would have more success a, accomplished doc starting over in law or the opposite?

Offline good sam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2013, 01:05:13 PM »
Who are the 4 guys who voted law school?  Med school is, without question, significantly harder and more demanding.  I was a law student, felt like I was on vacation compared to my med/dental school friends.
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline sky121

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2013, 01:10:30 PM »
Who are the 4 guys who voted law school?  Med school is, without question, significantly harder and more demanding.  I was a law student, felt like I was on vacation compared to my med/dental school friends.

Maybe 4 guys at Law school who didn't feel like they were on vacation?
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline yare

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2013, 01:11:12 PM »
Maybe 4 guys at Law school who didn't feel like they were on vacation?
there are serious hard workers everywhere who will take things very seriously, it's a personality disorder (:P)          but in terms of strictly medical school v law school, i think most people would tell you med school is much more intense and work intensive, no matter what your personality.

especially if you do very well in law school in the beginning, there's quite a bit of coasting you can do later on (though it's possible in todays economy it might not be that way as much as it used to be)