Author Topic: Flying Continental with United Miles  (Read 2920 times)

Offline kc1544

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Flying Continental with United Miles
« on: June 08, 2010, 05:01:44 PM »
Does anyone know if i am able to fly Continental from jfk-lhr with united miles?
If this is possible, how is it done? (online, phone etc)?
Thanks

Offline aussiebochur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
Re: Flying Continental with United Miles
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 07:39:37 PM »
They are partners so if there is availability you can.

Offline YOSEF

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 08:24:30 PM »
Does anyone know if i am able to fly Continental from jfk-lhr with united miles?
If this is possible, how is it done? (online, phone etc)?
Thanks
They are partners so if there is availability you can.
I believe United is actually the only star alliance member that blocks availability on partner airlines, so it may not be possible...

-The Star Alliance is the largest airline alliance which gives great options for using miles on partners.
-If a flight is found on ANA it can be booked with the miles from any Star Alliance carrier.  The only exception is United which intentionally blocks availability when they feel like it, this is called Starnet blocking.  The mileage rate will be whatever the carrier you are redeeming with charges, not what the airline you are flying on charges.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 08:25:41 PM »
I haven't heard of United blocking availability on Continental, but it is possible.
You'll have to call (gasp!) to find out.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline YOSEF

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 08:34:14 PM »
I haven't heard of United blocking availability on Continental, but it is possible.
You'll have to call (gasp!) to find out.
Dan,
so you meant international?

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 10:25:05 AM »
 Its NOT at all possible to fly JFK-London non-stop out of JFK with *A or anywhere with CO

CO KOed all its JFK service a yr or so ago (and then it was only to IAH)  a few yrs ago UA sold its JFK-LHR Route to DL

so for *A non-stop its CO out of EWR or US out of PHL or UA out of IAD

Now if you were using CO miles there are a few VS flights I believe you can get onto but NOT with UA miles since it isnt CO metal and VS isnt a *A partner but only a partner to CO

Offline kc1544

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 11:55:36 AM »
Its NOT at all possible to fly JFK-London non-stop out of JFK with *A or anywhere with CO

CO KOed all its JFK service a yr or so ago (and then it was only to IAH)  a few yrs ago UA sold its JFK-LHR Route to DL

so for *A non-stop its CO out of EWR or US out of PHL or UA out of IAD

Now if you were using CO miles there are a few VS flights I believe you can get onto but NOT with UA miles since it isnt CO metal and VS isnt a *A partner but only a partner to CO

but i see on continental's site flights non stop from jfk to lhr. unless you mean only regarding using united mileage that its not doable.
if thats the case, are you saying that from ewr it is doable?

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 12:23:34 PM »

but i see on continental's site flights non stop from jfk to lhr. unless you mean only regarding using united mileage that its not doable.
if thats the case, are you saying that from ewr it is doable?

Bingo

what U see out of JFK isnt a CO plane (metal) but a Virgin flight and Virgin Plane (metal) so you can get onto that if available using CO miles but not any other *A Carriers miles that doesnt have VS as their partner Again VS isnt a *A member and only a partner of CO

Yes you can use UA miles to fly on CO out of EWR if UA is allowing it, otherwise you would need to fly to IAD (Dulles, WashDC) and then catch UAs own flights to LHR. Or drive to PHL and catch USs

Now if thats a flight where US is flying its A330-200s with the flat beds in Envoy, even if you are flying in Coach Id grab that unless you can get an E+ seat on UA. the last flight Id want is COs = UA E+ is my 1st choice , then USs 330-200 planes with the flat beds since the coach seat is very comfortable on those planes and lastly a CO plane, yes IMO CO is that bad seat wise, but #1 in service and food, but seat comfort is the most important thing to me at least

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 12:44:06 PM »
If you're looking for Business, all of CO's planes to LHR are now guaranteed to have lie-flat seating.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 12:46:20 PM »
If you're looking for Business, all of CO's planes to LHR are now guaranteed to have lie-flat seating.

thats as long as long as the specified plane doesnt run into any problems, Id wait till they are finished or almost finished redoing them all before Id be assured of that

but as Ive posted before Id rather fly US on their lie-flat seats over COs

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2010, 12:49:23 PM »
thats as long as long as the specified plane doesnt run into any problems, Id wait till they are finished or almost finished redoing them all before Id be assured of that

but as Ive posted before Id rather fly US on their lie-flat seats over COs
Is US only flying lie-flat into LHR now?

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2010, 01:02:17 PM »
Is US only flying lie-flat into LHR now?

their website says to LHR,CDG,TLV but I would make sure before booking it as I didnt know they had that many as I believe 2 needs to be dedicated to TLV. Im sure they have more then 1 flight to LHR so maybe its 1 plane working that route, sort of like how CO throws a bunch of 752s onto the route ,Im sure they will be lie-flat but CO didnt say 777s and only 777s