Author Topic: South Korea Master Thread  (Read 14653 times)

Offline ZCN

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: South Korea Master Thread
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2014, 08:31:00 PM »
Thanks. Do you recall which tour you used?

Korridor. You can read my trip report on Korea, search for "ZCN's TR" in the trip reports section.

Offline Yaalili

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2014, 08:33:25 PM »
Korridor. You can read my trip report on Korea, search for "ZCN's TR" in the trip reports section.

Don't see the TR in the master thread, add it there.

Offline rileywiles23

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
South Korea Master Thread
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2015, 10:53:33 AM »
I'm looking for award flights on J, or F to Israel for sukkos time, ( traveling with infant, so trying to avoid extra fees). I found a flight on ke, Jfk-icn-Tlv. Now I need some convincing from the DDF family, that I'm not crazy for traveling an extra 10 hours to fly f, and that it's worth it to do it for South Korea touring... ( when I've mentioned this idea to friends, and family they all think I'm nuts, but they don't play the mileage game. )
Life is as good as you make it...

Offline CS91

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2016, 12:38:43 PM »
If my stopover is a day and a half and I want to see as much as possible, which is the better location to stay at? Hyatt in ICN or Hyatt in Seoul?

Offline D93

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2016, 06:12:03 AM »
Any pre-arrival visa requirements for S. Korea?

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2016, 04:07:44 PM »
I've seen on some websites that the minimum age to go on the DMZ tour is 11 and that nobody younger is allowed. Is that true?

Offline normaly

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2016, 02:07:56 AM »
I did the dmz tour and don't remember any kids. But you should call them

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2016, 05:05:47 AM »
I've seen on some websites that the minimum age to go on the DMZ tour is 11 and that nobody younger is allowed. Is that true?
Could be specific tours trying to limit the disturbance to other pax
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2016, 08:50:17 AM »
Could be specific tours trying to limit the disturbance to other pax
Called the tour that I booked with and they said some of their tours allow kids under 11 and some don't. No idea what the reason is though.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2016, 09:15:57 AM »
Would you rather be on a tour with kids or without?
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2016, 09:21:39 AM »
Would you rather be on a tour with kids or without?
I'm taking my kid so with.  :)

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2016, 01:02:35 PM »
What's transportation like from ICN into Seoul? Better off taking a train or is it complicated?

Offline yitzyul

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2016, 10:13:35 AM »
What's transportation like from ICN into Seoul? Better off taking a train or is it complicated?
I went with he train was pretty simple. There are information "English" desks all over the subways if you need.
Just make sure you exit on the right side as some of the stops have very large terminals and if you walk out the "wrong" door you might end up 3 blocks away from where you need.
When we went to shopping areas was suprised to find "information" staff walking around in all busy areas with large signs "we speak english".
Trip advisor Forum was very helpful as to which trains to take and where to get off. We had to catch a cab, so was even directed exactly where to get off and find closer direct cabs etc.
There are 2 trains from ICN. There is an express and local one.
Regarding the DMZ tour I would just stick with a JSA tour and skip the DMZ. you have to check the calendar as they only offer it a few times a week.
I believe some train stations in Seoul have luggage options as well.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 10:16:49 AM by yitzyul »

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2016, 07:07:35 PM »
I went with he train was pretty simple. There are information "English" desks all over the subways if you need.
Just make sure you exit on the right side as some of the stops have very large terminals and if you walk out the "wrong" door you might end up 3 blocks away from where you need.
When we went to shopping areas was suprised to find "information" staff walking around in all busy areas with large signs "we speak english".
Trip advisor Forum was very helpful as to which trains to take and where to get off. We had to catch a cab, so was even directed exactly where to get off and find closer direct cabs etc.
There are 2 trains from ICN. There is an express and local one.
Regarding the DMZ tour I would just stick with a JSA tour and skip the DMZ. you have to check the calendar as they only offer it a few times a week.
I believe some train stations in Seoul have luggage options as well.
So only issue with the train is that I'm landing in ICN at 4am and looks like the first train from ICN into Seoul is at 5:20am, so I'll either have to bus it or cab. Which hotel did you stay at? Once you get into Seoul station, did you just cab it to your hotel?

I can't do the JSA tour because we're going with our 1 year old, and they don't allow kids, so I can only do DMZ. Figured I may as well even though I'll be missing the better part of the whole experience because who knows when I'll be back in Korea. Any other recommendations in terms of activities?

Offline yitzyul

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2016, 09:42:35 PM »
i was only there for 1 day...
The DMZ tour is a bit boring but I guess you dont have much choice. I arrived very early as well however border control line was 1.5 hours long (depends if a Chinese flight arrives same time as you) by the time I got thru I had to rush and catch a train to get to the tour. The express was actually a 30 min wait so took the regular one. (you can purchase tickets at the automatic booth). I just did the JSA (was excellent) then on the way back the tour bus dropped us off by shopping. it is blocks and blocks packed with people and junk stores. After going thru that for a few hours a few blocks further after the junk shops you  can find some better stores such as nice clothing stores for the misses and kids at pretty affordable prices and good quality (you have to weed thru the junk). We then took a cab to the Hyatt Seoul and they printed us directions to the chabad guy/Rabbi. the directions where off by a few blocks as he moved and had a very very hard time finding it (we walked form the hotel (approx 10 min down hill) to his house where his wife prepared us a delicious meal, just let them know you are coming. They are extremely nice and accommodating (make sure to leave a nice tip). He also has a full stocked grocery in his house. We caught a direct bus back to ICN from the Hyatt (you can purchase tickets at the desk) for our early morning flight.
Are you flying Korean F? I was super impressed with them. The seats were not as comfortable as CX but the service was way better and wasn't sure why the CX rave on here compared to Korean.
 The Lounge didn't have much kosher but had some excellent Hagen Dazs, and we took  a few. (when the cleaning staff came by, she saw all the ice cream cups and she "said...Oh you forgot one favor you must try it")  (Not Cholov yisoroel....., but I guess we were hungry  :( The also have al the Israeli newspapers (I guess allot of Israelis).

.. If you are flying F make sure to go upstairs to business and at the back of the plane (don't get fooled by the self service mini bar they have downstairs with big bottles of blue label, etc)  the have a bar with couches (benches)where they will make you any drink cocktail you want (kosher?). They will have someone walk you and give some serious royal treatment  and they will "inform" the staff all along the way .....'they are first class" and practically fight who can take care of you.
First was actually almost full with the entire airplane "Jewish" and we actually enjoyed schmoozing with some of the "Businessmen" and they had got a kick of the fact that we where all Jewish....
in general i found the Koreans although a bit rigid and "in their own world" type of people, they are one of the nicest helpful and honest people I have ever met thru out my travels. Prices aren't cheap and you can't really bargain or haggle that much or at all in many stores you can leave a $100 bill on the floor and nobody would touch it.
How this helps....
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 09:50:48 PM by yitzyul »

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2016, 10:05:15 PM »
Thanks for the whole rundown. Really appreciate it.

Good to know about customs (though I hope that doesn't happen to us after such a long flight). I guess I'll write down bus and train times and call an audible once I get there and see how long it takes me to get out of the airport. The tour is picking us up from our hotel (Grand Hyatt Seoul) at 7:50am so hopefully we make it in time.

I already emailed the Chabad Rabbi and he asked me for the date and time that I'd like to go for dinner. I thought that they had a restaurant though. It's at their house?

We are flying KE F, though on the 747 so I don't think there's a bar on that plane (but I could be wrong). That was all really helpful. Thanks!

Offline yitzyul

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2016, 10:14:08 PM »
its at his house and I was a little uncomfortable bothering them , but they where so nice. He has a small shut and a mini grocery in his house and the eating area is setup to look like a restaurant type seating, but it is in his house and she basically cooks you dinner. The food was good  and plentiful and we chatted with his kids who are way advanced in learning then most kids their age. They don't charge anything but as mentioned make sure to leave a nice donation.
I believe the first class lounge offers free bus tickets (for F class) to Hyatt seoul for "showers etc" so find out about that.  I also believe there is a direct bus to the hyatt. My tour started else where so I had to take the train
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 10:18:18 PM by yitzyul »

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2016, 10:17:02 PM »
its at his house and I was a little uncomfortable bothering them , but they where so nice. He has a small shut and a mini grocery in his house and the eating area is setup to look like a restaurant type seating, but it is in his house and she basically cooks you dinner. The food was good  and plentiful and we chatted with his kids who are way advanced in learning then most kids their age. They don't charge anything but as mentioned make sure to leave a nice donation.
Ah, good to know. Ya, that makes me a bit uncomfortable but I already emailed him so I guess I'll go. Any recommendation on donation amount? Good to know about the bus. I'll reach out to KE about that.

Offline yitzyul

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2016, 10:19:21 PM »
Hard to tell...I left $100 per person (x2) but its really up to you.

BTW when I wrote Hyatt, I meant the Grand Hyatt Seoul.

Offline Emkay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2016, 01:58:21 AM »
Anyone here been in Seoul for Shabbos?