Author Topic: South Korea Master Thread  (Read 14656 times)

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
Re: South Korea Master Thread
« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2016, 02:33:21 PM »
Anyone here been in Seoul for Shabbos?
I have, whatsapp

Grand Hyatt is walking to chabad
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Emkay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2016, 10:31:43 AM »
Any DMZ tours that dont make me book days in advance?

Offline Yehoshua

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2016, 05:54:04 PM »
Has anyone stayed in Seoul longer than 2 days? Is it a complete waste of time going Fri-Mon?

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 10, 2016, 05:56:23 PM »
Has anyone stayed in Seoul longer than 2 days? Is it a complete waste of time going Fri-Mon?
Yes to both. Don't do it
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 10, 2016, 05:57:13 PM »
Yes to both. Don't do it
Ok, why not? Would Fri-Sun be better?

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2016, 05:57:53 PM »
Ok, why not? Would Fri-Sun be better?
There's nothing there

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2016, 05:59:57 PM »
There's nothing there
It's the most convenient stop for shabbos on our way back from DPS-LAX. You'd still avoid it at the cost of spending time in DPS and extra ticket/mileage costs to spend shabbos in, say, HKG?

Offline yitzyul

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 11, 2016, 12:32:54 AM »
It's the most convenient stop for shabbos on our way back from DPS-LAX. You'd still avoid it at the cost of spending time in DPS and extra ticket/mileage costs to spend shabbos in, say, HKG?
Tricky question... Nothing much to do there...very costly city.  Only 1 limited food option. (By Rabbi's house, although he is great guy, you are still "eating in his house")

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 11, 2016, 12:35:21 AM »
Tricky question... Nothing much to do there...very costly city.  Only 1 limited food option. (By Rabbi's house, although he is great guy, you are still "eating in his house")
I'm sure they like guests, especially frum ones. If DMZ takes a full day and all I have is 2 half days besides that you really don't think there are worthwhile things to see and do?

Offline Emkay

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 11, 2016, 01:49:54 AM »

Has anyone stayed in Seoul longer than 2 days?

Yes.
I'm sure they like guests, especially frum ones. If DMZ takes a full day and all I have is 2 half days besides that you really don't think there are worthwhile things to see and do?
TR incoming this week.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 11, 2016, 08:58:29 AM »

Yes.TR incoming this week.
Waiting patiently.

Offline yitzyul

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 12, 2016, 10:42:52 PM »
I agree with you on the guest part just not sure how comfortable you will be eating by someone for 2 days, but thats up to you. He will make you feel very comfortable so no worries.

My reccoemnedation is; don't do the DMZ just to the JSA its a half a day and we went shopping the other half which I actually enjoyed  ;D We also went up the tall tower which was nice and see all the 1,000's of padlock placed there by people. They also had a cute store in the tower that had postcards you can mail home to the kids...

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 12, 2016, 10:57:49 PM »
I agree with you on the guest part just not sure how comfortable you will be eating by someone for 2 days, but thats up to you. He will make you feel very comfortable so no worries.

My reccoemnedation is; don't do the DMZ just to the JSA its a half a day and we went shopping the other half which I actually enjoyed  ;D We also went up the tall tower which was nice and see all the 1,000's of padlock placed there by people. They also had a cute store in the tower that had postcards you can mail home to the kids...
So are you recommending doing only a half-day Tour on Sunday and leaving Sunday night? As of now I plan on leaving Monday night, though that's easily changeable.

I don't think we'll be too uncomfortable eating by them for 2 days, but that's up to DW.

What type of shopping did you do? Are the prices cheaper than in the US or where the malls just nicer?

Also how did you get around without Google Maps?

Offline yitzyul

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 13, 2016, 12:48:03 AM »
So are you recommending doing only a half-day Tour on Sunday and leaving Sunday night? As of now I plan on leaving Monday night, though that's easily changeable.

I don't think we'll be too uncomfortable eating by them for 2 days, but that's up to DW.

What type of shopping did you do? Are the prices cheaper than in the US or where the malls just nicer?

Also how did you get around without Google Maps?
I did one full day and I think it was more then enough.
Arrived at 5:30 waited thru customs 1.5 hours
Rushed on the train to the "closest" exit to the star too the JSA tour (Got help from TA) took a cab t the tour starting site. arrived at tour at 8:20,went to starbucks bought back coffee for myself, and bus driver (nice guy). Tour finished approx 1ish. Tour guide kept trying to sell us the DMZ tour after the JSA but was not interested. She dropped us off at a shopping area, which had approx 25 blocks of interesting junk shops in the middle of the street. Didn't purchase much but enjoyed walking thru them. 3:30 we walked past the shops a few blocks further we found some small shops along the streets  together with some expensive chains stores (Gucci etc) In the small store we found nice clothing for the kids and misses (u have to weed out the junk). then we walked to this kool elevator that takes you up to a tower which you can go to the top and have view of the whole Korea. Afterwards we took a taxi to the Grand Hyatt, went to Chabad for supper came back to hotel, and caught the bus to ICN at 5:00 am.  Nobody speaks english in Korea however there are "info desks" all over the place and they all speak english and very helpful.

Offline yitzyul

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 13, 2016, 12:48:34 AM »
BTW if you go in the winter the Hyatt has and outdoor Ice skating rink

Offline Emkay

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 13, 2016, 01:52:38 AM »
Rushed on the train to the "closest" exit to the star too the JSA tour (Got help from TA) took a cab t the tour starting site. arrived at tour at 8:20,went to starbucks bought back coffee for myself, and bus driver (nice guy). Tour finished approx 1ish. Tour guide kept trying to sell us the DMZ tour after the JSA but was not interested. She dropped us off at a shopping area, which had approx 25 blocks of interesting junk shops in the middle of the street. Didn't purchase much but enjoyed walking thru them. 3:30 we walked past the shops a few blocks further we found some small shops along the streets  together with some expensive chains stores (Gucci etc) In the small store we found nice clothing for the kids and misses (u have to weed out the junk). then we walked to this kool elevator that takes you up to a tower which you can go to the top and have view of the whole Korea. Afterwards we took a taxi to the Grand Hyatt, went to Chabad for supper came back to hotel, and caught the bus to ICN at 5:00 am.  Nobody speaks english in Korea however there are "info desks" all over the place and they all speak english and very helpful.
Did you not reserve the JSA tour in advance?

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 13, 2016, 02:01:01 AM »
Seems like the DMZ tours are more popular overall. Why did you choose the JMA tour instead? Just because it was shorter?

Offline yitzyul

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 13, 2016, 10:24:21 AM »
Did you not reserve the JSA tour in advance?
I did. Officials they need your passport info for clearance

Offline yitzyul

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 13, 2016, 10:25:18 AM »
Seems like the DMZ tours are more popular overall. Why did you choose the JMA tour instead? Just because it was shorter?
1) allot of people don't know of that option of only the JSA
2) I read up on it and it is very boring. the JSA is the main hi light of the tour

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 13, 2016, 10:32:33 AM »
1) allot of people don't know of that option of only the JSA
2) I read up on it and it is very boring. the JSA is the main hi light of the tour
Oh, so if you do a DMZ tour it INCLUDES the JMA? Didn't realize. What about it did you find boring? I'm only asking for clarification because often times I have different definitions of "boring" compared to others here.