Author Topic: Someone reversed into me  (Read 19671 times)

Offline MarkS

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: Someone reversed into me
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2013, 09:08:15 PM »
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I was rear ended by a truck in a hit and run in NY. I drove behind/alongside him honking and motioning to pull over but he refused. I called 911 but they refused to get into a wild goose chase and insisted they will only come if I call off the chase and pull over to the side of the highway. I waited a while for them but they were not coming and with shabbos approaching I had to leave.

I got his license plate but as I later learned, the license plate on the rear of the trailer isn't as important as the front license plate on the cab :(. I called the truck company who wasn't cooperating and wouldn't give me the name of their insurance company. I did some sleuthing and found out who they use for insurance. They mentioned the possibility of settling but when I told them I want $1,300 (per estimate) they said no way and denied that the accident ever happened.

I filed a claim with their insurance but it got denied because they are denying that it occurred.
I filled out a police report form that I had to mail to Albany and now I'm waiting for it to be registered in their system. I asked their insurance to write up a summary explaining the claim and my story vs theirs but so far they haven't sent it to me. My insurance said if I pay a $500 deductible they will cover the claim with no adverse affects to me and then they will go sue the other insurance but won't return my deductible even if they recover everything :(.

What do I do now? I figure I can file a lawsuit against them? Anyone have experience doing such a thing? Will it boil down to my word against theirs and I'll get nothing for it or do I have a shot?
Should I post their number here so we can get a chain of people to call them and harass or is that counterproductive?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 09:11:22 PM by MarkS »

Offline Saver2000

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2013, 09:45:26 PM »
@MrakS
I don't have much experience with this BH, but since you have no witness and no real proof, your chances of getting them to admit it/pay are pretty slim.

Regarding your insurance -
A) you should get it in writing that it wont adversely affect you in the long run.
B) what makes you think your insurance company reimbursed the full amount?  No reason to be upset that they not reimbursing you for the original $500 - I doubt they'll get anything from the other insurance company.

Eta: who do you plan on sueing,  the company,  or their insurance company?

Offline est

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2013, 09:54:49 PM »
i backed into someone causing one single deep scratch
my insurance told me that if the claim is under $1000 everything included then it doesnt get reported as a claim

however somehow the scratch costed $900 plus $250 rental car

i have experience with a few companies otherwise.

Offline MarkS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2013, 10:15:48 PM »
@MrakS
I don't have much experience with this BH, but since you have no witness and no real proof, your chances of getting them to admit it/pay are pretty slim.

Regarding your insurance -
A) you should get it in writing that it wont adversely affect you in the long run.
B) what makes you think your insurance company reimbursed the full amount?  No reason to be upset that they not reimbursing you for the original $500 - I doubt they'll get anything from the other insurance company.

Eta: who do you plan on sueing,  the company,  or their insurance company?
I would sue the company. When I called the police they said as long as you got their license plate you're fine. The no one was able to pull up anything by the license plate bec. it's just from the trailer.  I could file a lawsuit against them and hope that that scares them into settling but I want to hear what others would/could have done in such a situation.

Online aryeh1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2013, 11:54:52 AM »
The collision shop wants the adjuster to come to his shop, even though I'm not making the repair now.
I asked him if he could just give me an estimate in writing, he didn't want to and said I should just have the adjuster come down to his shop.

My question is what's he gaining by having the adjuster come to him if at the end of the day the insurance pay out is to me and I'll decide where to get it fixed or not fixed? Last time he said I don't need to fix it.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 12:17:07 PM by aryeh1 »

Offline Chachem Balaileh

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, Priority Club Gold, KingFisher Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Gold,Accor Gold,National Executive, Hertz PC,Delta Gold medallion
« Reply #65 on: January 26, 2013, 12:27:55 PM »
The collision shop wants the adjuster to come to his shop, even though I'm not making the repair now.
I asked him if he could just give me an estimate in writing, he didn't want to and said I should just have the adjuster come down to his shop.

My question is what's he gaining by having the adjuster come to him if at the end of the day the insurance pay out is to me and I'll decide where to get it fixed or not fixed? Last time he said I don't need to fix it.

He will probably take a percentage for his services and gett a higher estimate
:) Smile & G-d will give u a reason to smile

Online aryeh1

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2013, 10:50:37 PM »
Did anyone ever deal with dependable on 39th St?

Online aryeh1

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2013, 11:59:27 AM »
I just came back from collision shop. I felt there was some monkey business going on ,the adjuster was talking to the collision shop guy for a while before checking out the car. The adjuster said that hel send the estimate to the shop 6pm. I feel something  was a little fishy. Don't they give estimate right away? He said ill get the check though.

Offline bhphotoman

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2013, 12:03:30 PM »
You can always go to a second shop by law you have the right to chose your shop

Online aryeh1

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2013, 12:08:41 PM »
You can always go to a second shop by law you have the right to chose your shop
But I already chose this shop, I suspect for sure monkey business as the check is going to me so whats his gain. He must be taking a cut from inspector.  Does anyone know what the payout ball park should be about for a bumper and dent on hood.

Offline bhphotoman

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 31, 2013, 12:20:55 PM »
U can always say I don't like that shop any more you can go to 10 shops by law

What shop is this

Online aryeh1

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 31, 2013, 12:22:48 PM »
U can always say I don't like that shop any more you can go to 10 shops by law

What shop is this
I called state farm, they don't send another adjuster, price is final.  She also said adjuster is supposed to give estimate on spot unless his printer was broken. I don't get it.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 12:49:43 PM by aryeh1 »

Offline bhphotoman

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 31, 2013, 03:01:42 PM »
I called state farm, they don't send another adjuster, price is final.  She also said adjuster is supposed to give estimate on spot unless his printer was broken. I don't get it.

There is no such thing as final until your satisfied

I went to 5 shops and the adjuster went to all 5 till I was happy

The law is clear on this they are legally required to fix and repair to your satisfaction

Offline Name Changed

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
« Reply #73 on: January 31, 2013, 03:38:06 PM »
But I already chose this shop, I suspect for sure monkey business as the check is going to me so whats his gain. He must be taking a cut from inspector.  Does anyone know what the payout ball park should be about for a bumper and dent on hood.
If its just the actual bumper hood them I would say $800 or so.

The shop could easily make the adjustment to $1000 or so, and charge storage fee for the days the car is in the shop.

There could be more damage than what is actually seen on the inside, the impact bar could be bent, also the cars radiator is right by the bumper, could be damaged, possibly the condenser. Also even small bangs could shift parts of the car that need to be adjusted...

I am just saying possibilities

Online aryeh1

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 31, 2013, 09:42:10 PM »
I got underpaid especially since they deducted $500 , as they said there was scratches on the bumper before which is ridiculous I think. They said if I don't want to accept it, I can go through my insurance

Offline Centro

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 19, 2013, 12:08:07 PM »
Maybe not the right thread but I can feel my ears hurting from all the screaming I would get for starting a new thread ^-^ .

Is there any way to locate a vehicle owner by it's license plates?
I saw a valet parking guy who scratched a bit a car and I wanna inform the car owner.

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #76 on: June 19, 2013, 12:22:24 PM »
Maybe not the right thread but I can feel my ears hurting from all the screaming I would get for starting a new thread ^-^ .

Is there any way to locate a vehicle owner by it's license plates?
I saw a valet parking guy who scratched a bit a car and I wanna inform the car owner.
Probably calling the DMV is a good idea, but that's a real pain in Brooklyn. So if you care enough just call the police and let them deal with it.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #77 on: June 19, 2013, 12:38:58 PM »
Probably calling the DMV is a good idea, but that's a real pain in Brooklyn. So if you care enough just call the police and let them deal with it.

If buy "deal with it" you mean ignore it, then yep.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #78 on: June 19, 2013, 12:49:52 PM »
If buy "deal with it" you mean ignore it, then yep.
Ya NY police department...

This past Friday when leaving the house in the morning (in Beachwood) I found a bike on the side of my house. After calling everyone that would have left it there I called the non-emergency police phone number. I explained my situation and the lady told me an officer will be there to pick up the bike shortly. Three minutes later a swat car is at my front door.

Can you imagine what their response time is for a shooting?
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline smee123

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 19, 2013, 12:52:58 PM »
Do you mean squad car?