Topic Wiki

Use https://www.squaremouth.com/ to compare pricing and coverage option
« Last edited by KidOOO on February 15, 2015, 08:10:46 PM »

Author Topic: travel insurance  (Read 29330 times)

Offline BCL

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: travel insurance
« Reply #300 on: February 25, 2019, 06:23:38 PM »
Has anyone had experience with travel insurance for premature childbirth (before 37 weeks)? Is it classified as "normal childbirth" or as a "complication of pregnancy"?
This is the response from iTravel Insured

We are responding to your email received on Monday, February 18, 2019, regarding benefits for your iTravelInsured® policy.

Premature childbirth is not usually categorized as a normal childbirth. Complications of Pregnancy are explicitly defined in the policy wording, but if the premature childbirth is not stated in any exclusion (as it is not typically considered as a normal childbirth), then it would be determined by the claims examiner upon review of a claim if one is submitted.

This is similar to what Allianz told me on the phone: "It would be determined based on the doctor's report if it is classified as high risk for the mother or child."

Online ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: February 25, 2019, 07:33:15 PM »
This is the response from iTravel Insured

We are responding to your email received on Monday, February 18, 2019, regarding benefits for your iTravelInsured® policy.

Premature childbirth is not usually categorized as a normal childbirth. Complications of Pregnancy are explicitly defined in the policy wording, but if the premature childbirth is not stated in any exclusion (as it is not typically considered as a normal childbirth), then it would be determined by the claims examiner upon review of a claim if one is submitted.

This is similar to what Allianz told me on the phone: "It would be determined based on the doctor's report if it is classified as high risk for the mother or child."

This is not what they told me over the phone. Was there any indication in the email regarding stage of pregnancy? Is week 37 considered premature? Or better yet, at what stage is it not considered premature? Is anything short of 40 weeks considered premature and "not typically considered as a normal childbirth"?
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline BCL

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: February 26, 2019, 07:24:13 PM »
This is not what they told me over the phone. Was there any indication in the email regarding stage of pregnancy? Is week 37 considered premature? Or better yet, at what stage is it not considered premature? Is anything short of 40 weeks considered premature and "not typically considered as a normal childbirth"?

Good point. Yes, I had mentioned it was before 37 weeks. I believe 37 - 42 is considered full term.
What I take from it all, is that no one will guarantee it. My understanding is that it will be judged based on the doctor's description of risk involved in that specific incident. I think speaking with a doctor and getting their "classification" of premature birth will give some clarity.

Offline chaaarvy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: March 15, 2019, 12:37:40 PM »
Can anyone recommend travel health insurance (with links) for worldwide travel? Thanks

Online ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: March 15, 2019, 12:49:52 PM »
Can anyone recommend travel health insurance (with links) for worldwide travel? Thanks
How long is the travel/trip? Some companies have a solid product, while others have great pricing. It really depends on your needs.

If it works well for you, getting a Single Trip travel policy, which also includes medical emergency, could be a great deal (just put the trip cost to minimum, unless you really want the trip cancellation and interruption coverage to cover the full amount above the minimum). For example x.co/campinsure could give you a very low cost policy with relatively high medical limits (most trip cancellation policies have lower medical limits) as long as you put the trip cost at no higher than $500. Also, IINM if purchased within 14 days of initial trip purchase, pre-existing conditions are covered.

Some policies will give primary coverage if purchased shortly after trip purchase.

Otherwise, for just medical coverage I usually go with IMG.

Keep in mind that CSR has some sort of coverage if you purchased your tickets using CSR.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 01:57:28 PM by ExGingi »
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline chaaarvy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: March 15, 2019, 01:50:04 PM »
I ended up going to insuremytrip.com which is a comparison site and got coverage from IMG. $150k medical, with standard trip insurance coverage, for about $3/ day.