Topic Wiki

Use
https://www.squaremouth.com/
http://www.insuremytrip.com/

to compare pricing and coverage option
« Last edited by mgarfin on August 30, 2023, 10:38:38 PM »

Author Topic: Travel Insurance  (Read 170436 times)

Online ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
Re: travel insurance
« Reply #380 on: August 17, 2021, 09:32:47 AM »
Where can I buy a travel insurance policy for a group of 25+ people traveling from USA to Italy, that will cover up to $90,000 of prepaid hotel & flights expenses if cancelled due to the border re-shutting to Americans due to Covid?

If they are not NY residents then you might find a policy with Cancel for Any Reason that might cover.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline YesThatsMe

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: August 17, 2021, 09:35:39 AM »
If they are not NY residents then you might find a policy with Cancel for Any Reason that might cover.

Some are NY residents, most are NJ. And where can I buy these policies, and what can I expect the premium to be?

A quick search on trawick only let me put max 20 pax, and was quoted as $3,500, which is totally unreasonable ($175 pp)!

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #382 on: August 17, 2021, 09:47:12 AM »
Some are NY residents, most are NJ. And where can I buy these policies, and what can I expect the premium to be?

A quick search on trawick only let me put max 20 pax, and was quoted as $3,500, which is totally unreasonable ($175 pp)!

$175 pp would be less than 5% (which I don't see it as outrageous with a Cancel for Any Reason that reimburses 70%-80% of prepaid expenses). One might try to get a custom quote, and often group discounts might be available, but you need to set your expectations right. You are talking about a huge risk, and if there's a cancelation it will be everyone canceling, not only a few of the travelers. I am not an underwtiter or an actuary, but this risk scares me enough to say that I would want to collect a substantial premium for the risk.
-- Dan

Offline YesThatsMe

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: August 17, 2021, 10:18:01 AM »
$175 pp would be less than 5% (which I don't see it as outrageous with a Cancel for Any Reason that reimburses 70%-80% of prepaid expenses). One might try to get a custom quote, and often group discounts might be available, but you need to set your expectations right. You are talking about a huge risk, and if there's a cancelation it will be everyone canceling, not only a few of the travelers. I am not an underwtiter or an actuary, but this risk scares me enough to say that I would want to collect a substantial premium for the risk.

Understood. Would you be able to help me get such a quote please?

Offline cgr

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: August 22, 2021, 09:52:09 PM »
I'm looking into purchasing travel insurance. My main concern is that my choice of destination(s) will not be feasible due to covid.

Berkshire Hathaway sells a plan for $435 for 5 pax, covering up to $12k in prepaid expenses (our desired coverage), which includes the following clause:
"You or a Traveling Companion are required to work during his/her scheduled Trip. He/she must provide proof of requirement to work, such as a notarized statement signed by an officer of his/her employer. In the situation of self-employment, proof of self-employment and a notarized statement confirming that the Insured is unable to travel due to his or her job obligations will be required."

All 5 of us are self-employed. It seems ridiculous to me that our entire trip would be covered by this clause if one of us is unable to travel due to work (and how is that defined anyway?). Anyone ever use this benefit before and know how flexible they are with reimbursements in this case? I read through the policy and there's not much more information on there.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 09:56:04 PM by cgr »

Offline shmooz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: August 22, 2021, 10:40:34 PM »
I would assume that can't travel due to work means something unknown came up, like a business deal, court case, etc, not something known like covid.

Did you try CFAR policies? Too expensive?

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #386 on: August 22, 2021, 10:43:42 PM »
I would assume that can't travel due to work means something unknown came up, like a business deal, court case, etc, not something known like covid.

Did you try CFAR policies? Too expensive?
I'm not saying that covid would be a reason here, just wondering if I could use this (as self-employed we can each always have good reasons not to be available to go), to give myself some breathing room.

CFAR is not available for NY residents from what I've seen.

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: August 23, 2021, 10:27:37 AM »
All 5 of us are self-employed. It seems ridiculous to me that our entire trip would be covered by this clause if one of us is unable to travel due to work (and how is that defined anyway?). Anyone ever use this benefit before and know how flexible they are with reimbursements in this case? I read through the policy and there's not much more information on there.
All the cancel for work policies are that simple, usually. I don't have experience in situations with self-employed, but with regular employment, a letter from a higher up staying that you are needed at work for whatever reason along with paystubs showing you work there is enough to cancel. It works for everyone else, too, because they assume the reason you booked together is because you're traveling together and you wouldn't want to take the trip without each other.

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #388 on: August 23, 2021, 10:42:03 AM »
All the cancel for work policies are that simple, usually. I don't have experience in situations with self-employed, but with regular employment, a letter from a higher up staying that you are needed at work for whatever reason along with paystubs showing you work there is enough to cancel. It works for everyone else, too, because they assume the reason you booked together is because you're traveling together and you wouldn't want to take the trip without each other.
Thanks! Appreciate the input.

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: August 23, 2021, 11:25:29 AM »
Thanks! Appreciate the input.
You can also call the insurance company to clarify before you buy the policy. The ones I've dealt with are very happy to assist you. The reason they're not nervous about fraud is because legally insurance fraud can put people in jail, so that should prevent many fraud attempts.

Offline itunes

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: August 24, 2021, 08:26:40 PM »
Can anyone advise as to which insurance policy would cover me in the event i would want to cancel my trip (not rebook for later date) due to destination country restricting entry due to covid?

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #391 on: August 24, 2021, 09:29:34 PM »
Can anyone advise as to which insurance policy would cover me in the event i would want to cancel my trip (not rebook for later date) due to destination country restricting entry due to covid?
Only "cancel for any reason" (CFAR) policies.
Based on my research they're not available to NY residents (see marketplace link in Wiki).

Offline itunes

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: August 25, 2021, 08:39:02 PM »
Looking at a Cancel For any Reason policy from April (via squarmouth). Its significantly cheaper than everyone else. Is it a reputable company?

Offline Jerseysteve

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: August 26, 2021, 07:28:16 AM »
Hi - I am a newbie in regards to travel insurance.
If I buy insurance for an upcoming trip to Israel that has covid protection does that cover me if I can't get into the country? Or only if I get covid chas v'sholom?
What happens with a ticket that United gives me a travel credit for cancelling - do they pay me anyway?

Thank you

Offline shmooz

• View Profile
« Reply #394 on: August 26, 2021, 09:40:52 AM »
Hi - I am a newbie in regards to travel insurance.
If I buy insurance for an upcoming trip to Israel that has covid protection does that cover me if I can't get into the country? Or only if I get covid chas v'sholom?
What happens with a ticket that United gives me a travel credit for cancelling - do they pay me anyway?

Thank you

Covid protection is if you come down with covid c'v. If you want protection if you can't get in you need 'cancel for any reason' insurance.
If you got a flight credit - i believe this depends on the wording of the policy, but you could ask before buying.

Offline Jerseysteve

• View Profile
« Reply #395 on: August 26, 2021, 10:04:09 AM »
Covid protection is if you come down with covid c'v. If you want protection if you can't get in you need 'cancel for any reason' insurance.
If you got a flight credit - i believe this depends on the wording of the policy, but you could ask before buying.
Thank you for clarifying - From the little I have read it seems that if you receive a travel credit the claims adjuster will not pay out which makes the cancellation portion of the policy not worth much for me.

Offline shmooz

• View Profile
« Reply #396 on: August 26, 2021, 10:12:37 AM »
Thank you for clarifying - From the little I have read it seems that if you receive a travel credit the claims adjuster will not pay out which makes the cancellation portion of the policy not worth much for me.

Right but i think sometimes you can refuse the credit and make a claim, call the one you are interested in and ask.

Offline Jerseysteve

• View Profile
« Reply #397 on: August 26, 2021, 11:01:32 AM »
Right but i think sometimes you can refuse the credit and make a claim, call the one you are interested in and ask.
Thanks again - But in my case I think if I will get United to give me an ETC it is worth more than the 75% you get from insurance.

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #398 on: August 26, 2021, 11:06:47 AM »
Thanks again - But in my case I think if I will get United to give me an ETC it is worth more than the 75% you get from insurance.

Trip cancellation is really meant to protect against the loss of prepaid costs such as hotel, resort, cruise etc. The airline tickets are usually small change compared to those, and are often not a total loss if trip needs to be changed or cancelled, especially in the COVID-19 era.
-- Dan

Offline Jerseysteve

• View Profile
« Reply #399 on: August 26, 2021, 11:29:44 AM »
Trip cancellation is really meant to protect against the loss of prepaid costs such as hotel, resort, cruise etc. The airline tickets are usually small change compared to those, and are often not a total loss if trip needs to be changed or cancelled, especially in the COVID-19 era.
I get it - I was seeing if there is anyway to protect myself if Israel still wont let me in on Oct. 20-25. There is United Business available for $2270 which is great - but if I end up getting an ETC and when I am finaly able to go Business is very expensive then I will fly Economy Plus which is much less.