Topic Wiki

Use
https://www.squaremouth.com/
http://www.insuremytrip.com/

to compare pricing and coverage option
« Last edited by mgarfin on August 30, 2023, 10:38:38 PM »

Author Topic: Travel Insurance  (Read 163881 times)

Offline Zalc

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Travel Insurance
« Reply #480 on: July 22, 2022, 04:41:41 PM »
With the whole lost/delayed baggage fiasco happening right now globally, there’s is a company called Blue Ribbon Bags - www.blueribbonbags.com which basically guarantees $1,000 - $2,000 per lost/delayed bag (if they can’t reunite you with the bag in less than 96 hours after landing) for a small $5 - $10 premium.

It’s a superb service.
Just my 2c:

If you have an iPhone - AirTags are a game changer.

Enough airline workers have iPhones that on our last trip, the locations of the bags had updated as being in the airport by the time we got to the belt, so we didn’t have to wonder if our bags made it.
If you are feeling lazy you can just sit back with the app open and it will tell you when your bag is coming down the conveyor, so you don’t need to check each bag on the belt.
If you use it for your carry on or purse it’ll notify you before you get off the plane if you left it behind.

If the airline “loses” your luggage there a good chance you’ll be able to pinpoint the bag location and tell them where it is.
For example: https://appleinsider.com/articles/22/06/22/airtag-helps-man-discover-airline-offices-full-of-lost-luggage

It’s more expensive then one-time luggage insurance, but they are also quite useful when not traveling and will last forever (the battery lasts years and to change one takes 10 seconds).

Online ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #481 on: July 22, 2022, 04:44:09 PM »
Just my 2c:

Enough airline workers have iPhones that on our last trip, the locations of the bags had updated as being in the airport by the time we got to the belt, so we didn’t have to wonder if our bags made it.
If you are feeling lazy you can just sit back with the app open and it will tell you when your bag is coming down the conveyor, so you don’t need to check each bag on the belt.
If you use it for your carry on or purse it’ll notify you before you get off the plane if you left it behind.

If the airline “loses” your luggage there a good chance you’ll be able to pinpoint the bag location and tell them where it is.
For example: https://appleinsider.com/articles/22/06/22/airtag-helps-man-discover-airline-offices-full-of-lost-luggage

It’s more expensive then one-time luggage insurance, but they are also quite useful when not traveling and will last forever (the battery lasts years and to change one takes 10 seconds).

Yup. When my son went to Ukraine for Pesach I got a few AirTags and placed in his luggage. I was more concerned about tracking him than the luggage.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Ephraimh

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Travel Insurance
« Reply #482 on: July 22, 2022, 05:07:55 PM »
Just my 2c:

Addresses AirTags at minute mark: 11:23 —

Offline Ephraimh

• View Profile
« Reply #483 on: July 22, 2022, 05:11:01 PM »
Do they actually make any physical attempt to reunite owners with lost bags other than linking owners with publicly available baggage tracking data?
Also addresses your concern

Offline Zalc

• View Profile
Travel Insurance
« Reply #484 on: July 22, 2022, 05:22:35 PM »

I’m not sure what his point is?

Is he saying that if the airline “lost” a bag, and I know the exact GPS coordinates, he’ll be able to get the airline to find it faster than the customer themselves?

I think he is underestimating the scope of apple’s network, and the power of every iPhone being opted in by default.
Wherever your bag is inside an airport, the chance that someone will pass within 30 feet with an iPhone is very high, especially in developed countries.

There are about a BILLION apple devices out there just listening for your bag.
That’s a mind-boggling amount.

Another note is that AirTags should be found if someone passes by even if they are in a room with no service in the belly of some airport, unlike a dedicated GPS device.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2022, 05:26:17 PM by Zalc »

Offline Ephraimh

• View Profile
« Reply #485 on: July 22, 2022, 05:29:52 PM »
I’m not sure what his point is?

Is he saying that if the airline “lost” a bag, and I know the exact GPS coordinates, he’ll be able to get the airline to find it faster than the customer themselves?

I think he is underestimating the scope of apple’s network, and the power of every iPhone being opted in by default.
Wherever your bag is inside an airport, the chance that someone will pass within 30 feet with an iPhone is very high, especially in developed countries.

There are about a BILLION apple devices out there just listening for your bag.
That’s a mind-boggling amount.

Another note is that AirTags should be found if someone passes by even if they are in a room with no service in the belly of some airport, unlike a deducted GPS device.
I think his point is, that even with your exact GPS coordinates, you’ll need a lot of luck to actually get things moving in certain circumstances.

Offline Zalc

• View Profile
« Reply #486 on: July 22, 2022, 05:30:59 PM »
I think his point is, that even with your exact GPS coordinates, you’ll need a lot of luck to actually get things moving in certain circumstances.
Granted i didn’t listen to his whole video, but is he saying that in those cases he can help, or that at least your get a payout?

Offline Ephraimh

• View Profile
« Reply #487 on: July 22, 2022, 05:32:39 PM »
Granted i didn’t listen to his whole video, but is he saying that in those cases he can help, or that at least your get a payout?
That they help, they get things moving.

Online moko

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: July 26, 2022, 08:09:30 PM »
Looking for a tourist plan that covers medical in Israel upfront instead of submitting for reimbursement

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #489 on: July 26, 2022, 11:02:36 PM »
Looking for a tourist plan that covers medical in Israel upfront instead of submitting for reimbursement

There are US plans that will agree to direct billing, the problem is often the providers (usually less of a problem with hospitals).

I would guess that the only way to guarantee that there will be direct billing is to get an Israeli plan.

https://www.harel-group.co.il/Insurance/foreign/policies/Pages/tour-and-care.aspx
-- Dan

Offline shmooz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: July 27, 2022, 09:03:15 AM »
There are US plans that will agree to direct billing, the problem is often the providers (usually less of a problem with hospitals).

I would guess that the only way to guarantee that there will be direct billing is to get an Israeli plan.

https://www.harel-group.co.il/Insurance/foreign/policies/Pages/tour-and-care.aspx

make sure thats preexiting coverage if important to you

Offline mendi n

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: August 26, 2022, 03:00:08 PM »
I got a flight ua 149 that was delayed because '' member of your crew are arriving late because of a crew scheduling disruption '' and I apply for the expenses to be paid by chase saphire reserve and they are denying ''We have completed our evaluation of your claim under the Trip Delay Reimbursement Benefit claim. We
regret that we cannot process a payment for your claim. Your claim does not qualify for this benefit because:
□ The documentation provided confirms the reason for delay does not meet the criteria for
coverage. Please refer to your Guide to Benefits for confirmation that a Covered Hazard
includes equipment failure, inclement weather, labor strikes, and hijacking or skyjacking.''

Is this normal? completely unfair  any help?

Offline Zevi16

• View Profile
« Reply #492 on: September 18, 2022, 07:07:27 PM »
Anyone know if I booked flights for my family through the chase portal (CSP). does that have any sort of health travel insurance? Is it recommended to buy a separate health insurance? going to Israel

Offline shmooz

• View Profile
« Reply #493 on: September 18, 2022, 07:20:17 PM »
Anyone know if I booked flights for my family through the chase portal (CSP). does that have any sort of health travel insurance? Is it recommended to buy a separate health insurance? going to Israel

It doesn't unless you use a credit card will cover like reserve up to $2500
That's a personal question some do some don't, personally i make sure I have coverage one way or another. What if someone really needs a hospital c'v?

Offline Zevi16

• View Profile
« Reply #494 on: September 18, 2022, 07:36:22 PM »
It doesn't unless you use a credit card will cover like reserve up to $2500
That's a personal question some do some don't, personally i make sure I have coverage one way or another. What if someone really needs a hospital c'v?
What company do you use for that?

Offline shmooz

• View Profile
« Reply #495 on: September 18, 2022, 07:42:02 PM »
What company do you use for that?

Insuremytrip or squaremouth and compare. If you buy soon after booking they may cover preexisting.
Check your own insurance first to see if it's covered.

Offline sguitarist18

• View Profile
« Reply #496 on: October 12, 2022, 01:20:53 PM »
For Israel in particular, what are the health insurance options for a longer trip - say, a month or two, or possibly even longer?

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #497 on: October 12, 2022, 01:25:22 PM »
For Israel in particular, what are the health insurance options for a longer trip - say, a month or two, or possibly even longer?

NY residents can get a very good deal with Allianz. PM accepted.
-- Dan

Offline flyingBlue

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: October 26, 2022, 02:43:19 AM »
Is there any point in buying travel insurance on a domestic trip?

Offline NYHeel

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: October 31, 2022, 02:10:54 PM »
Anyone know what the deal is with needing Covid specific travel insurance to enter Israel? I see here that you need health insurance that covers Covid to enter Israel. Can my regular US insurance card suffice to get into the country? I have no interest in purchasing travel insurance of any kind unless I have to. I just don't want issues getting on the plane or entering the country.