Topic Wiki

Use
https://www.squaremouth.com/
http://www.insuremytrip.com/

to compare pricing and coverage option
« Last edited by mgarfin on August 30, 2023, 10:38:38 PM »

Author Topic: Travel Insurance  (Read 170486 times)

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
Re: Travel Insurance
« Reply #560 on: May 31, 2023, 12:55:52 PM »
located in nj currently have horizon bcbs, but will probably be getting onto medicaid now. (I can technically probably still hold on to the bcbs until after the trip but will be quite costly)
booked tickets with chase points and paid deposit on apartment.
traveling international.
thanks!

If there is still a payment due for the apartment, then there are plans that cover pre-existing conditions if purchased prior to final payment. Though it is a trip protection plan and IIRC you need to include all non-refundable costs (as they will be covered in case you need to cancel or interrupt the trip for a covered reason).
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline est

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: June 27, 2023, 12:51:19 PM »
I will be purchasing a medical plan from Geoblue for myself since I'm on Horizon BCBS and need them to cover the pregnancy. my kids though are on medicaid - Im assuming I need a different plan for them?
Is this trip insurance or just medical insurance? I will need a third trip insurance plan?
I booked using chase reserve
TIA

Offline shmooz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: June 28, 2023, 05:29:27 PM »
I will be purchasing a medical plan from Geoblue for myself since I'm on Horizon BCBS and need them to cover the pregnancy. my kids though are on medicaid - Im assuming I need a different plan for them?
Is this trip insurance or just medical insurance? I will need a third trip insurance plan?
I booked using chase reserve
TIA

I believe the geoblue won't cover if they are on medicaid, it will say on the website. So yes, you'll need a different plan if you want coverage.

If it's a while since you booked,  they won't cover preexisting. If you booked with chase reserve you will have $2500 medical for each family member(under age 23 I think)

You shouldn't need trip insurance, the chase reserve should be adequate for most people.

Offline Shmueli

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: June 29, 2023, 01:12:32 PM »
Anyone know of a good way to insure a single one way flight from one European city to another?

I am flying on flight that only has one non stop on the day I'm flying, and no none stops the next day.
So if the flight gets delayed or canceled I need to have a large amount of insurance money to book a stopover flight on a different airline the next day...

Any ideas where I can buy such a policy?
Thanks!

Offline SHL

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: June 29, 2023, 01:25:50 PM »
Anyone know of a good way to insure a single one way flight from one European city to another?

I am flying on flight that only has one non stop on the day I'm flying, and no none stops the next day.
So if the flight gets delayed or canceled I need to have a large amount of insurance money to book a stopover flight on a different airline the next day...

Thanks!
Can't answer about insurance however if it is a revenue ticket you should be covered by EC261 which may help offset damages

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #565 on: June 29, 2023, 02:45:30 PM »

Thanks!

Any trip cancellation policy should cover you for non-refundable costs (though it might be secondary, after any other reimbursement). I don't think they would cover for a higher cost that the non-refundable trip cost.
-- Dan

Offline Shmueli

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: June 29, 2023, 02:49:05 PM »
Any trip cancellation policy should cover you for non-refundable costs (though it might be secondary, after any other reimbursement). I don't think they would cover for a higher cost that the non-refundable trip cost.
Non refunable meaning the cost to book new flights?

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #567 on: June 29, 2023, 04:39:59 PM »
Non refunable meaning the cost to book new flights?

No.

Non-refundable is the original non-refundable price. Some plans may cover beyond that, maybe 150% or even 200% (possibly under trip delay). You need to see the terms of the policy, and check whether coverage is primary or secondary.
-- Dan

Offline Shmueli

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: July 01, 2023, 11:23:07 PM »
No.

Non-refundable is the original non-refundable price. Some plans may cover beyond that, maybe 150% or even 200% (possibly under trip delay). You need to see the terms of the policy, and check whether coverage is primary or secondary.
Any way to just get cash to book a new flight?
Like if delayed more than 6 hours get $500 towards a new flight?

Also, if I am from USA but currently in Israel, departing on a trip from Israel, where do I put my residence as when I purchase travel insurance? Israel (I don't have proof of address...) or USA (but then my trip started when I left USA to Israel...??)

Offline cers4686

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: August 09, 2023, 07:34:04 PM »
Father with pre-existing conditions is booked to go to EY next week but he purchased his ticket months ago and just now discovered that no travel insurance plan will cover his pre-existing conditions since he passed the 14-21 day window. Is GeoBlue/HTH his only option? Did anyone actually ever have to use it and did it work out ok?

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #570 on: August 09, 2023, 08:09:18 PM »
Father with pre-existing conditions is booked to go to EY next week but he purchased his ticket months ago and just now discovered that no travel insurance plan will cover his pre-existing conditions since he passed the 14-21 day window. Is GeoBlue/HTH his only option? Did anyone actually ever have to use it and did it work out ok?

Depending on what the pre-existing condition is. If it is a "condition which is treated or controlled solely through the taking of prescription drugs or medicine and remains treated or controlled without any adjustment or change in the required prescription throughout the sixty (60) day period before coverage is effective" there are additional policies that will cover it.

GeoBlue/HTH will provide coverage for pre-existing conditions where there is a primary US-based health plan that isn't Medicaid. (Their coverage is secondary, i.e. you must first claim with the primary health insurance). Their coverage is considered excellent.
-- Dan

Offline cers4686

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: August 09, 2023, 08:17:40 PM »
Depending on what the pre-existing condition is. If it is a "condition which is treated or controlled solely through the taking of prescription drugs or medicine and remains treated or controlled without any adjustment or change in the required prescription throughout the sixty (60) day period before coverage is effective" there are additional policies that will cover it.

GeoBlue/HTH will provide coverage for pre-existing conditions where there is a primary US-based health plan that isn't Medicaid. (Their coverage is secondary, i.e. you must first claim with the primary health insurance). Their coverage is considered excellent.

Thanks. He had surgery a few weeks ago... so GeoBlue/HTH is his only option? He has Medicare as primary, but they don't have international coverage so how would he claim with them?

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #572 on: August 09, 2023, 08:47:00 PM »
Thanks. He had surgery a few weeks ago... so GeoBlue/HTH is his only option? He has Medicare as primary, but they don't have international coverage so how would he claim with them?

He claims and they deny. Then the secondary pays.
-- Dan

Offline cers4686

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: August 10, 2023, 05:40:55 PM »
He claims and they deny. Then the secondary pays.
Thanks so much for the info! I'm wondering what the catch is - why are they the only company that will offer pre-existing coverage (if not purchased within 14-21 days of ticket purchase)?

And what is the point of insisting you have a primary insurance if your primary won't cover interational travel?

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #574 on: August 10, 2023, 05:44:30 PM »
Thanks so much for the info! I'm wondering what the catch is - why are they the only company that will offer pre-existing coverage (if not purchased within 14-21 days of ticket purchase)?

And what is the point of insisting you have a primary insurance if your primary won't cover interational travel?

In many cases primary insurance will cover outside US in emergencies, people are just unaware. Also, unlike many other Travel Medical plans that will allow purchase and coverage even after departure, HTH/GeoBlue will only allow purchase prior to departure.
-- Dan

Offline shmooz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: August 10, 2023, 06:38:14 PM »

I believe the point is that they don't want people traveling to get coverage overseas. If you have insurance here and are still traveling, it's probably because you don't expect to get or need care.

Offline Dovdovmoneytree

• View Profile
« Reply #576 on: August 15, 2023, 12:22:59 AM »
Any good resources to find health insurance for an 18 YO girl going to seminary in Israel? No pre-existing conditions B'H. Is $750 for the 10 months a decent price? TIA

Offline oldguy

• View Profile
« Reply #577 on: August 15, 2023, 12:27:50 AM »
Any good resources to find health insurance for an 18 YO girl going to seminary in Israel? No pre-existing conditions B'H. Is $750 for the 10 months a decent price? TIA
Which state do You live?

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #578 on: August 15, 2023, 02:36:07 AM »

Is the seminary offering anything?

When my daughter went they forced me to buy coverage through them for around $30/month. The advantage of their coverage was that we didn't need to pay and file for reimbursement. As a NY resident I could have purchased Allianz for ~$35 for the entire trip.
-- Dan

Offline Dovdovmoneytree

• View Profile
« Reply #579 on: August 18, 2023, 03:14:54 PM »
Which state do You live?

New York
Sorry, tried replying a few days ago, the "quote" button wasn't appearing, then forgot....