Topic Wiki

Use https://www.squaremouth.com/ to compare pricing and coverage option
« Last edited by KidOOO on February 15, 2015, 08:10:46 PM »

Author Topic: travel insurance  (Read 40329 times)

Online etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
Re: travellers insurance question
« Reply #135 on: August 31, 2015, 12:38:53 PM »
Sorry, I couldn't find a better thread for this.
Where are good deals for emergency travellers medical insurance for a student studying in Canada for the year?
Don't know... but you can also try this thread: http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=248
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline shmooz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: travel insurance
« Reply #136 on: September 01, 2015, 12:07:21 AM »
most people here probably dont buy but I have bought a number of times

Bottom line -I dont recommend buying travel insurance for cancellation coverage because you can get it by using a CC. But you may need it for medical insurance.

If you buy a ticket and book with the right CC (not Amex) they will cover changes to itinerary due to illness(no preexisting), also baggage delay etc.

If you book with miles and only charge taxes they may not cover itinerary change costs eg Chase now has language saying they will cover costs if booked with Chase rewards.

If you dont have health insurance outside the U.S. then you may want to get it. Even if you do have, it can be very difficult to collect, its a paperwork nightmare.

I buy the insurance when I travel with my kids. On a few weeks trip someone is likely to need a doctor.

I have used Travelex Lite and recently Travel Guard. They cover kids under 19 for no extra charge with an adult. I cover one adult and all the kids.

I have a collected a few times from Travelex with no problem. Just get all the paperwork you can, the bill, a receipt, diagnosis etc. It doesnt have to be in English.

After speaking with them I learned you can play with the coverage amounts. So if you book a trip with miles and only pay taxes of $50, you could enter that as the trip cost.  Or, you could enter trip cost as $500 and the kids trip cost as $5000 and it will get you some more coverage at the same price. They are fine with that.

Same for the dates of travel, you could enter a longer period of time. Say your trip is for two weeks. You could tack on two weeks at the end and, in case you are delayed. Otherwise the insurance stops when you were supposed to leave.

Offline travellove

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 01, 2015, 10:29:52 AM »
Dan wrote recently re travel insurance "I’ve never bought those things in my life". Want to know if I'm missing something. He's not buying it because they’re not worth it or because you can get back the cost of the tickets through other ways? If yes, what are those ways?

Would appreciate an answer from Dan or anyone else that has an educated guess.

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 07, 2015, 09:56:59 AM »
any recommendations for a cheap travel insurance?
EDIT: just saw the wiki, that should work
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 10:03:24 AM by Emkay »

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 07, 2015, 03:41:24 PM »
Hi, if I am traveling domestically, is the only reason to buy insurance for cancel for any reason? I read this thread and I'm trying to figure out if I need to get travel insurance. I booked the tickets with my Amex SPG, and my health insurance should cover me in the US? Correct?

Thanks!

Offline eis517

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG, United
« Reply #140 on: October 09, 2015, 10:06:07 AM »
We have tickets to Israel for December and we are getting nervous about the situation there. We put our tickets on the Ink card. Do they cover cancellation for that? If not, is there insurance that will cover cancellation if the situation gets worse?

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 09, 2015, 10:26:05 AM »
We have tickets to Israel for December and we are getting nervous about the situation there. We put our tickets on the Ink card. Do they cover cancellation for that? If not, is there insurance that will cover cancellation if the situation gets worse?
Safer to walk in Israel then drive in America

Offline Hidden

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 09, 2015, 10:32:45 AM »
Nothing to be scared of

Offline eis517

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 09, 2015, 10:54:35 AM »
Nothing to be scared of

Safer to walk in Israel then drive in America

I agree, but that is not helpful. Other people will not want to go if it gets worse/war breaks out, so I am looking for insurance that will cover us.

Offline David Smith

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 11, 2015, 02:26:33 AM »
Interesting. I always wondered if that was a backup cancellation option for non refundable tickets, and what card I could do that on. (But seriously, you're scared about the safety there?)
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline User6669

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 11, 2015, 04:49:18 AM »
Travel Guard, recently changed their policies, and long term policies (6-12 Mo.) became extremely extremely expensive. Is there any other company that allows long term policies (6-12 Mo.) for a decent price?
".איזהו חכם, הלומד מכל אדם"

Offline eis517

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 11, 2015, 10:57:17 AM »
Interesting. I always wondered if that was a backup cancellation option for non refundable tickets, and what card I could do that on. (But seriously, you're scared about the safety there?)

We have two young kids. It is scary to go, especially if the situation escalates even more

Offline MAJ

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 12, 2015, 05:43:11 PM »
Got back from Israel recently, purchased insurance through Roam Right.
As per this thread http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=55807.0 
i had issue with my babies passport expiring after one year and only realized in airport (motzei yom kippur 90 min before flight to israel that had two stopovers). long story short we left baby behind and changed myself, wife and toddler to come home chal hamoed. Tickets were booked with miles.

any chance i get compensated? my daughter also had an ear infection, is that a better angle? what is the best way for me to go about this?

thanks

Online rileywiles23

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 12, 2015, 07:25:13 PM »

Got back from Israel recently, purchased insurance through Roam Right.
As per this thread http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=55807.0 
i had issue with my babies passport expiring after one year and only realized in airport (motzei yom kippur 90 min before flight to israel that had two stopovers). long story short we left baby behind and changed myself, wife and toddler to come home chal hamoed. Tickets were booked with miles.

any chance i get compensated? my daughter also had an ear infection, is that a better angle? what is the best way for me to go about this?

thanks
How will you ask for compensation, that you forgot to get your daughter a proper passport, so they should compensate you ?! They'll laugh in your face !!!
If your daughter had a legitimate infection, then your only chance is a letter from the doctor that she couldn't  fly.
Life is as good as you make it...

Offline MAJ

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 12, 2015, 11:47:31 PM »

How will you ask for compensation, that you forgot to get your daughter a proper passport, so they should compensate you ?! They'll laugh in your face !!!
If your daughter had a legitimate infection, then your only chance is a letter from the doctor that she couldn't  fly.
if you read the thread that I linked, you would see that many experts were shocked that her passport wasn't for 5 years and never heard of a baby not getting 5 years, hence I didn't forget I just didn't check as it wasn't a question in my mind that it would be for 5 years.

Still I hear why it's a stretch