Topic Wiki

Use
https://www.squaremouth.com/
http://www.insuremytrip.com/

to compare pricing and coverage option
« Last edited by mgarfin on August 30, 2023, 10:38:38 PM »

Author Topic: Travel Insurance  (Read 163850 times)

Offline oldguy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: travel insurance
« Reply #280 on: February 05, 2019, 01:29:25 PM »
so which agent do you recommend?
You can send me a PM for quotes.
Just paying with GC's wont work, because to get a refund from any insurance company you need proof of payment.

Offline BCL

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: February 05, 2019, 06:03:33 PM »
Thank you so much to everyone who replied! Update: I contacted world nomads, and they confirmed that they will cover Pre-mature labor but not the newborn. This seemed like the best option, albeit more expensive, so I purchased. Hope to never use it...
Spoke with World Nomads and they said they don't have coverage for pregnancy.
Still looking...

Offline oldguy

• View Profile
« Reply #282 on: February 05, 2019, 08:56:55 PM »
Spoke with World Nomads and they said they don't have coverage for pregnancy.
Still looking...
Are you looking for coverage for cancellation due to Pregnancy? or for complications during the trip?
because Allianz just confirmed that for cancellation coverage due to pregnancy (not with the Anytime policy) the passenger would only be covered if they buy the insurance before they knew she was pregnant. Put for complications during the trip it is covered like any other medical care.

Offline BCL

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: February 05, 2019, 09:09:48 PM »
Are you looking for coverage for cancellation due to Pregnancy? or for complications during the trip?
because Allianz just confirmed that for cancellation coverage due to pregnancy (not with the Anytime policy) the passenger would only be covered if they buy the insurance before they knew she was pregnant. Put for complications during the trip it is covered like any other medical care.
I am looking to travel with pregnant DW, and concerned about cancelling, or health complications on the trip, or even possible delivery on the trip. Can I get coverage for all that? (We know about the pregnancy, I know most insurances don't cover that. I am looking for ones that do.)
Any good suggestions?

Offline oldguy

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: February 05, 2019, 11:50:08 PM »
I am looking to travel with pregnant DW, and concerned about cancelling, or health complications on the trip, or even possible delivery on the trip. Can I get coverage for all that? (We know about the pregnancy, I know most insurances don't cover that. I am looking for ones that do.)
Any good suggestions?
Yes, You can book a Anytime cancellation policy (With Allianz you get back 80% but has to be done through an Agent you can PM for quotes) that would cover for any reason to cancel because of pregnancy. (there are workarounds to get full coverage even for cancellation) then as stated before during the trip you would get covered up to the max amount as any other Medical claim.

Offline BCL

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: February 18, 2019, 08:03:28 PM »
Has anyone had experience with travel insurance for premature childbirth (before 37 weeks)? Is it classified as "normal childbirth" or as a "complication of pregnancy"?

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #286 on: February 18, 2019, 09:50:52 PM »
Yes, You can book a Anytime cancellation policy (With Allianz you get back 80% but has to be done through an Agent you can PM for quotes) that would cover for any reason to cancel because of pregnancy. (there are workarounds to get full coverage even for cancellation) then as stated before during the trip you would get covered up to the max amount as any other Medical claim.
Are you talking from experience? Allianz website specifically stated that premature childbirth isn't covered (medical expenses).
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline oldguy

• View Profile
« Reply #287 on: February 18, 2019, 10:45:55 PM »
Are you talking from experience? Allianz website specifically stated that premature childbirth isn't covered (medical expenses).
I had a rep confirm it with me on the phone, and had her confirm it with her supervisor, as far as i read on the policies i have made, when it excludes Premature childbirth, it's referring to the cancellation for a covered reason, not the Emergency Medical and Dental.
Actually I just looked over a policy I issued yesterday, And I saw the exact same as I stated above.
Please link to the site if you see otherwise
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 10:51:40 PM by oldguy »

Offline oldguy

• View Profile
« Reply #288 on: February 18, 2019, 10:53:44 PM »
Has anyone had experience with travel insurance for premature childbirth (before 37 weeks)? Is it classified as "normal childbirth" or as a "complication of pregnancy"?
Are you talking about cancellation? or for Emergency Medical and Dental?

Offline BCL

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: February 19, 2019, 01:31:21 AM »
Are you talking about cancellation? or for Emergency Medical and Dental?
For emergency medical.

I had a rep confirm it with me on the phone, and had her confirm it with her supervisor, as far as i read on the policies i have made, when it excludes Premature childbirth, it's referring to the cancellation for a covered reason, not the Emergency Medical and Dental.
Actually I just looked over a policy I issued yesterday, And I saw the exact same as I stated above.
Please link to the site if you see otherwise
I also read the online exclusion like @ExGingi. If you can get the confirmation in writing, that would be great.

Offline oldguy

• View Profile
« Reply #290 on: February 19, 2019, 11:24:51 AM »
For emergency medical.
I also read the online exclusion like @ExGingi. If you can get the confirmation in writing, that would be great.
If you want I can send you my policy that afaik doesn't have any exclusion.

Offline oldguy

• View Profile
« Reply #291 on: February 19, 2019, 04:04:12 PM »
For emergency medical.
Can anybody show me where it says that online by Allianz by emergency medical and Dental? I only see it by trip interruption and cancellation etc.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #292 on: February 19, 2019, 04:40:25 PM »
Can anybody show me where it says that online by Allianz by emergency medical and Dental? I only see it by trip interruption and cancellation etc.

https://www.allianztravelinsurance.com/travel/family/pregnancy-travel-insurance.htm

Travel Insurance and Childbirth

You're enjoying your babymoon vacation in Cozumel when suddenly you feel the first twinge of labor. Twelve hours later, you're the proud mother of a baby girl. Will travel insurance cover the cost of labor and delivery?

No. Normal childbirth is not covered by travel insurance from Allianz Global Assistance. However, if complications arise in delivery, the costs of emergency medical care may be covered. Also, attending the childbirth of a family member can be a covered reason for trip cancellation.

While travel insurance from Allianz Global Assistance can't cover every possible pregnancy scenario, we want to do our best to help. Our Assistance team is available 24 hours a day to provide advice and aid, wherever you are in the world.
-- Dan

Offline oldguy

• View Profile
« Reply #293 on: February 19, 2019, 05:23:07 PM »
https://www.allianztravelinsurance.com/travel/family/pregnancy-travel-insurance.htm
Very interesting.... It doesn't say anything like that in the policy itself, So i don't see how that would be excluded, But it's very easy to make something (especially early labor) into complications during delivery....

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #294 on: February 19, 2019, 05:37:47 PM »
Very interesting.... It doesn't say anything like that in the policy itself, So i don't see how that would be excluded, But it's very easy to make something (especially early labor) into complications during delivery....

Very easy?

Is early labor really a complication? FWIU it can be perfectly normal (though untimely). I am not saying anything with knowledge or certainty, but I haven't yet managed to get a certain response that will say it would be covered.

Let me state what I tell clients when they try to pursue certain strategies involving insurance: The purpose of insurance (and hence my job) is to ELIMINATE risk. If the product you are purchasing introduces risks, or fails to eliminate the risks you are trying to eliminate in a significant way, then it's not the right product.

That being said, if one cannot find a product that will definitely eliminate the risk, and is willing to gamble the small premium on something that MIGHT cover the risk, that is a conscious choice one may legitimately make.
-- Dan

Offline ponsey

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: February 19, 2019, 07:29:25 PM »
Anyone here have experience with rental car insurance websites such as rentalcover.com or Bonzah? Instead of buying cdw coverage from the rental companies? Any other alternatives worth looking into?

Offline oldguy

• View Profile
« Reply #296 on: February 20, 2019, 02:08:05 AM »
Very easy?

Is early labor really a complication? FWIU it can be perfectly normal (though untimely). I am not saying anything with knowledge or certainty, but I haven't yet managed to get a certain response that will say it would be covered.

Let me state what I tell clients when they try to pursue certain strategies involving insurance: The purpose of insurance (and hence my job) is to ELIMINATE risk. If the product you are purchasing introduces risks, or fails to eliminate the risks you are trying to eliminate in a significant way, then it's not the right product.

That being said, if one cannot find a product that will definitely eliminate the risk, and is willing to gamble the small premium on something that MIGHT cover the risk, that is a conscious choice one may legitimately make.
I don't see how something that's only stated on the website, and not in the policy, legally binding....

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #297 on: February 20, 2019, 05:55:24 AM »
I don't see how something that's only stated on the website, and not in the policy, legally binding....
What is the policy wording? IINM Allianz policies refer to Accident or Sickness for emergency medical coverage.
-- Dan

Offline oldguy

• View Profile
« Reply #298 on: February 20, 2019, 02:10:59 PM »
What is the policy wording? IINM Allianz policies refer to Accident or Sickness for emergency medical coverage.
"A maximum benefit of up to the amount listed on Your Letter of
Confirmation is provided for covered Emergency Medical or
Dental Coverage expenses incurred as a result of accidental
Injury or Illness occurring during a Trip within the Coverage
Period."

So it does say accidental, But why is premature labor not accidental?

It's not like I'm making this up, I had this confirmed with a rep that confirmed it with her supervisor, That premature birth is covered.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #299 on: February 20, 2019, 02:33:17 PM »
"A maximum benefit of up to the amount listed on Your Letter of
Confirmation is provided for covered Emergency Medical or
Dental Coverage expenses incurred as a result of accidental
Injury or Illness occurring during a Trip within the Coverage
Period."

So it does say accidental, But why is premature labor not accidental?

It's not like I'm making this up, I had this confirmed with a rep that confirmed it with her supervisor, That premature birth is covered.

Is premature labor "accidental ILLNESS" or "accidental INJURY"?

I'm not saying they won't cover, but I'm not comfortable. What is the exclusions language of the policy?

Also, what state is the policy issued in? I've seen NY policies that have an overriding rider that seems to say that whatever essential benefits are required from a Medical Plan based on the ACA are covered.
-- Dan