Topic Wiki

Use
https://www.squaremouth.com/
http://www.insuremytrip.com/

to compare pricing and coverage option
« Last edited by mgarfin on August 30, 2023, 10:38:38 PM »

Author Topic: Travel Insurance  (Read 168102 times)

Offline BCL

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: travel insurance
« Reply #300 on: February 25, 2019, 06:23:38 PM »
Has anyone had experience with travel insurance for premature childbirth (before 37 weeks)? Is it classified as "normal childbirth" or as a "complication of pregnancy"?
This is the response from iTravel Insured

We are responding to your email received on Monday, February 18, 2019, regarding benefits for your iTravelInsured® policy.

Premature childbirth is not usually categorized as a normal childbirth. Complications of Pregnancy are explicitly defined in the policy wording, but if the premature childbirth is not stated in any exclusion (as it is not typically considered as a normal childbirth), then it would be determined by the claims examiner upon review of a claim if one is submitted.

This is similar to what Allianz told me on the phone: "It would be determined based on the doctor's report if it is classified as high risk for the mother or child."

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #301 on: February 25, 2019, 07:33:15 PM »
This is the response from iTravel Insured

We are responding to your email received on Monday, February 18, 2019, regarding benefits for your iTravelInsured® policy.

Premature childbirth is not usually categorized as a normal childbirth. Complications of Pregnancy are explicitly defined in the policy wording, but if the premature childbirth is not stated in any exclusion (as it is not typically considered as a normal childbirth), then it would be determined by the claims examiner upon review of a claim if one is submitted.

This is similar to what Allianz told me on the phone: "It would be determined based on the doctor's report if it is classified as high risk for the mother or child."

This is not what they told me over the phone. Was there any indication in the email regarding stage of pregnancy? Is week 37 considered premature? Or better yet, at what stage is it not considered premature? Is anything short of 40 weeks considered premature and "not typically considered as a normal childbirth"?
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline BCL

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: February 26, 2019, 07:24:13 PM »
This is not what they told me over the phone. Was there any indication in the email regarding stage of pregnancy? Is week 37 considered premature? Or better yet, at what stage is it not considered premature? Is anything short of 40 weeks considered premature and "not typically considered as a normal childbirth"?

Good point. Yes, I had mentioned it was before 37 weeks. I believe 37 - 42 is considered full term.
What I take from it all, is that no one will guarantee it. My understanding is that it will be judged based on the doctor's description of risk involved in that specific incident. I think speaking with a doctor and getting their "classification" of premature birth will give some clarity.

Offline chaaarvy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: March 15, 2019, 12:37:40 PM »
Can anyone recommend travel health insurance (with links) for worldwide travel? Thanks

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #304 on: March 15, 2019, 12:49:52 PM »
Can anyone recommend travel health insurance (with links) for worldwide travel? Thanks
How long is the travel/trip? Some companies have a solid product, while others have great pricing. It really depends on your needs.

If it works well for you, getting a Single Trip travel policy, which also includes medical emergency, could be a great deal (just put the trip cost to minimum, unless you really want the trip cancellation and interruption coverage to cover the full amount above the minimum). For example x.co/campinsure could give you a very low cost policy with relatively high medical limits (most trip cancellation policies have lower medical limits) as long as you put the trip cost at no higher than $500. Also, IINM if purchased within 14 days of initial trip purchase, pre-existing conditions are covered.

Some policies will give primary coverage if purchased shortly after trip purchase.

Otherwise, for just medical coverage I usually go with IMG.

Keep in mind that CSR has some sort of coverage if you purchased your tickets using CSR.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 01:57:28 PM by ExGingi »
-- Dan

Offline chaaarvy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: March 15, 2019, 01:50:04 PM »
I ended up going to insuremytrip.com which is a comparison site and got coverage from IMG. $150k medical, with standard trip insurance coverage, for about $3/ day.

Offline chayie

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: May 29, 2019, 04:50:23 PM »
I am looking for medical travel insurance for my trip to Israel next week - going for 2.5 weeks.

Is there a list of credit cards that cover medical expenses so that I wouldn't need to buy medical insurance? And if so, would I have to have paid the taxes and fess for my award ticket with said credit card?

TIA

Sorry f if this has been answered here before. I don't have time to read hundreds of posts.

Offline ckmk47

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: May 29, 2019, 08:08:54 PM »
I've seen that the credit cards have insurance for the hazards of traveling.  But poor medical insurance for the trip itself.  I bought a policy on squaremouth.com  I toggled the choices to maximize medical coverage and minimal or no other coverage because I used a CSR to book.

I was looking for medical evacuation coverage along with decent coverage for medical expenses. I'd want to get home if there was an extended illness.
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline Arejay

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: May 29, 2019, 09:40:31 PM »
Is there any good annual plans available ?

Offline oldguy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: May 30, 2019, 12:17:20 AM »
Is there any good annual plans available ?
Allianz has quite decent plans

Offline SamCan

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: May 30, 2019, 11:55:22 AM »
For Canadian readers,all VISA Infinite or World Elite MC covers its cardholders as long as they are enrolled in the provincial health plan (OHIP in Ontario).

Offline greatdeals

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: August 05, 2019, 10:20:52 AM »
looking to buy travel insurance have never bought it before
what is the best company to look for? we are a total of 10 people how
much should I expect to pay and what coverage do I need?

Offline oldguy

• View Profile
« Reply #312 on: August 05, 2019, 03:42:18 PM »
Are there any children under 18?
every situation is different, there is no 1 size fits all...
You can PM me for any specific question

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #313 on: August 05, 2019, 04:12:17 PM »

The first question you need to ask yourself is what coverages are you looking for, and what coverage might you already have (from CC, homeowner's insurance, medical insurance, etc.).

Common travel insurance covers trip cancellation (prior to commencement of trip) and interruption (during trip) due to covered reasons. Many policies cover for missed connections, lost or damaged baggage, baggage delay, etc. etc. And then there's the medical coverage, covering you for medical emergencies while on a trip.

Some of the coverages are secondary (they will pay whatever other coverage won't), and some are primary (they will pay first).

Run through various scenarios of things you are concerned about (the need to cancel the trip due to death or illness of one of the travelers or immediate family, G-d forbid; interruption of trip due to similar concern; medical expenses; missed connections; lost or damaged baggage; delayed baggage resulting in additional expenses; etc.) See what your exposure is in any of those scenarios (what prepaid expenses are non-refundable in such scenarios, or what additional costs might be incurred), and then you can be an educated consumer, shopping for the right coverage for you.

There are also different offerings depending on your state of residence (with NY usually having the least options, but sometimes better (mis)priced products).

It should be noted that Allianz has an excellent Annual plan that covers your entire household for an entire year. My daughter who lives OOT and comes often to NY buys it to cover her entire family for medical expenses if they should be needed when they are away from home. It will also cover international trips etc. And since it is one price that covers the entire family, it might sometimes make sense for even a single trip if it's a large family.
-- Dan

Offline Luvisrael

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: October 24, 2019, 04:12:28 PM »
Any way of purchasing travel insurance after trip has already started?

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #315 on: October 24, 2019, 04:46:23 PM »
Any way of purchasing travel insurance after trip has already started?

If all you need is Medical coverage IMG will let you buy even while on the trip, for coverage starting the day after purchase.
-- Dan

Offline Luvisrael

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: October 25, 2019, 02:59:19 AM »
If all you need is Medical coverage IMG will let you buy even while on the trip, for coverage starting the day after purchase.
thank you!

Offline shwarmabob

• View Profile
« Reply #317 on: December 03, 2019, 12:47:36 PM »
I have a trip that consist of several legs:
the first leg - the taxes were paid for by Citi Prestige before they cancelled travel insurance benefits in September.
the second leg - the taxes were paid for by Chase Ink.
The last leg was paid by airline vouchers so it has no travel insurance provided by credit cards at all.

Citi Travel benefits says:
"Trip means any pre-paid travel, tour or vacation when all or at least a portion of the cost of such arrangements was paid using Your Citi Card and/or ThankYou Points for all Covered Traveler(s).
Trip Departure Date means the date on which the Covered Traveler(s) are originally scheduled to leave on the Trip.
Trip Completion Date means the date on which the Covered Traveler(s) are scheduled to return to their point of origin or to a different final destination."

The start and end of the whole journey is the same NYC. Does this mean that the entire trip would be covered by the Citi Travel benefits? or only the first leg?
It makes a big difference

Offline David R

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: December 26, 2019, 12:20:59 AM »
I have a trip that consist of several legs:
the first leg - the taxes were paid for by Citi Prestige before they cancelled travel insurance benefits in September.
the second leg - the taxes were paid for by Chase Ink.
The last leg was paid by airline vouchers so it has no travel insurance provided by credit cards at all.

Citi Travel benefits says:
"Trip means any pre-paid travel, tour or vacation when all or at least a portion of the cost of such arrangements was paid using Your Citi Card and/or ThankYou Points for all Covered Traveler(s).
Trip Departure Date means the date on which the Covered Traveler(s) are originally scheduled to leave on the Trip.
Trip Completion Date means the date on which the Covered Traveler(s) are scheduled to return to their point of origin or to a different final destination."

The start and end of the whole journey is the same NYC. Does this mean that the entire trip would be covered by the Citi Travel benefits? or only the first leg?
It makes a big difference
Clever interpretation, but I don't think they'll go for it. They probably mean that the Trip Completion Date is the date on which the Covered Traveler(s) are scheduled to return to whatever destination is the final point of the Trip (using their definition of Trip), whether that final point is the point of origin or a different final destination. Therefore, Citi would only cover the first leg.

I used Citi ThankYou points to book a rental car and flight. After booking, I remembered that they removed all the travel protections, so I cancelled everything and booked with Chase points from Ink Plus on the Ultimate Rewards travel site. I paid a few cents with the Ink card and the rest with points. Am I covered? Would I be covered if I only used Chase points and did not pay any portion with the credit card?

Offline atwnsw

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: December 26, 2019, 08:31:26 AM »
FYI, I was born with a serious pre-existing condition that often impacts my travel arrangements.
Over the last 10+ years, I have purchased my individual trip policies from TripInsuranceStore.com which is a small
company and have filed a lot of claims over the years for tens of thousands of dollars and always been
approved.  Tripinsurancestore is a broker but will directly you to only those plans that will cover pre-existing
conditions.  The cost amounts to roughly 5% of the trip cost.  The key is documenting everything and completing
the forms in detail which is a PITA, but necessary.

I have no affiliation with them but their owner, Steve Dasseos, is a nice guy.