Author Topic: Does money bring you happiness?  (Read 16031 times)

Offline yehuda S

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Does money bring you happiness?
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2013, 02:31:32 AM »
Well worth the watch.

Amazing! Beautiful defense of orthodox Judaism. Thank you.
Work is what you do between vacations.

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 20
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Rav Kav Platinum
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2013, 04:50:52 AM »
Here's the point. Practically the whole world is in a screaming race to get rich as fast as the can.
I think its only a few select cities, far from the whole world. One of the things I love about Yerushalayim is that for the most part the people are poor. $40k a year with 12 kids is considered comfortable. It a very small minority dreaming up, or even trying to dream up these million dollar schemes.

People are generally happy with having a small shop. I've asked very successful shop owners why they don't open another branch, and for the most part they say what for, I don't need it
Create professional looking itineraries.
Check out eliteitinerary.com

Offline mena613

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2013, 05:52:16 AM »

It depends on allot of different factors like, how did he become rich, if it was an inheritances then chances are you will be less happy, if your self made, you will feel fulfilled and chances are higher for you to live a happy life the question is always how do you protect the next generation, how do you make sure they will be happy.

Its definitely harder to make a ultra wealthy person happy then a poor or even simple person.

Where one person would really appreciate a used Mazda 6 in Israel a nother might not be happy with his brand new BMW 7 series...

The poor person you can make happy with a all you can eat voucher in a restaurant where as a rich person youd have to to buy the restaurant for..

Offline mena613

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2013, 05:56:26 AM »

An American businessman was standing at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked. Inside the small boat were several large yellow fin tuna. The American complimented the Mexican on the quality of his fish.

“How long did it take you to catch them?” the American asked.

“Only a little while” the Mexican replied.

“Why don’t you stay out longer and catch more fish?” the American then asked.

“I have enough to support my family’s immediate needs” the Mexican said.

“But” the American then asked, “What do you do with the rest of your time?”

The Mexican fisherman said: “I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take a siesta with my wife, Maria, stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine and play guitar with my amigos. I have a full and busy life, senor.”

The American scoffed: “I am a Harvard MBA and could help you. You should spend more time fishing and with the proceeds you could buy a bigger boat and, with the proceeds from the bigger boat, you could buy several boats. Eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats. Instead of selling your catch to a middleman, you would sell directly to the consumers, eventually opening your own can factory. You would control the product, processing and distribution. You would need to leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, then LA and eventually NYC where you will run your expanding enterprise.”

The Mexican fisherman asked: “But senor, how long will this all take?”

To which the American replied: “15-20 years.”

“But what then, senor?”

The American laughed and said: “That’s the best part. When the time is right, you would announce an IPO – an Initial Public Offering – and sell your company stock to the public and become very rich. You would make millions.”

“Millions, senor? Then what?”

The American said slowly: “Then you would retire. Move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take a siesta with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos…”

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2013, 06:02:25 AM »
An American businessman was standing at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked. Inside the small boat were several large yellow fin tuna. The American complimented the Mexican on the quality of his fish.

“How long did it take you to catch them?” the American asked.

“Only a little while” the Mexican replied.

“Why don’t you stay out longer and catch more fish?” the American then asked.

“I have enough to support my family’s immediate needs” the Mexican said.

“But” the American then asked, “What do you do with the rest of your time?”

The Mexican fisherman said: “I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take a siesta with my wife, Maria, stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine and play guitar with my amigos. I have a full and busy life, senor.”

The American scoffed: “I am a Harvard MBA and could help you. You should spend more time fishing and with the proceeds you could buy a bigger boat and, with the proceeds from the bigger boat, you could buy several boats. Eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats. Instead of selling your catch to a middleman, you would sell directly to the consumers, eventually opening your own can factory. You would control the product, processing and distribution. You would need to leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, then LA and eventually NYC where you will run your expanding enterprise.”

The Mexican fisherman asked: “But senor, how long will this all take?”

To which the American replied: “15-20 years.”

“But what then, senor?”

The American laughed and said: “That’s the best part. When the time is right, you would announce an IPO – an Initial Public Offering – and sell your company stock to the public and become very rich. You would make millions.”

“Millions, senor? Then what?”

The American said slowly: “Then you would retire. Move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take a siesta with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos…”

Not again... ::)
Visibly Jewish

Offline HelpMe

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2013, 07:04:18 AM »
D you know of a single rich person who forfeited his wealth for the pleasure of being poor?
Yes.

There is no correlation between money and happiness.
"Elvis Has Left The Building"

Offline real-brisker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2013, 07:11:46 AM »
I think its only a few select cities, far from the whole world. One of the things I love about Yerushalayim is that for the most part the people are poor. $40k a year with 12 kids is considered comfortable. It a very small minority dreaming up, or even trying to dream up these million dollar schemes. People are generally happy with having a small shop. I've asked very successful shop owners why they don't open another branch, and for the most part they say what for, I don't need it
+1000

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2013, 08:08:39 AM »
A very interesting read is the progress paradox. He argues that despite being in the best economic shape in the history of man people are less happy.

He argues that the key to happiness is being grateful (sound familiar, eizahu ashir hasameach bchelko)
One other interesting point he makes is that a person will be better off at the top of the middle class than at the bottom of the upper class. Being at the bottom of the upper class means you go into a store and you can't afford most things as opposed to at the top of the middle class you can
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech

Offline damaxer91

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2013, 10:05:35 AM »
I think its only a few select cities, far from the whole world. One of the things I love about Yerushalayim is that for the most part the people are poor. $40k a year with 12 kids is considered comfortable. It a very small minority dreaming up, or even trying to dream up these million dollar schemes.

People are generally happy with having a small shop. I've asked very successful shop owners why they don't open another branch, and for the most part they say what for, I don't need it

+1,000,0000,0000

When I lived in J-Town my kids spent half a day in school and the other half in the park. Every single day. No complications and no worries. And every single kid in the neighborhood did the same. Only difference was which kids had off-brand Bamba and which kids had the real stuff.

Offline damaxer91

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2013, 10:06:33 AM »
http://science.slashdot.org/story/10/09/07/1519221/researchers-say-happiness-costs-75k

Yes, if you live in St. Louis, send your kids to Public School and like to vacation in the Redneck Riviera

IMHO, A frum family with 6 kids  in NY/LA/YYZ that brings in 100k a year is in the worst situation. The Yeshivas want tuition, Gov wants taxes and they are no longer eligible for any help.

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2013, 10:09:59 AM »
Yes, if you live in St. Louis, send your kids to Public School and like to vacation in the Redneck Riviera

IMHO, A frum family with 6 kids  in NY/LA/YYZ that brings in 100k a year is in the worst situation. The Yeshivas want tuition, Gov wants taxes and they are no longer eligible for any help.
The actual amount changes from situation to situation, but the point is the same; there is a certain amount of money which can affect you level of happiness beyond which it makes no difference.

Offline damaxer91

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2013, 10:18:35 AM »
The actual amount changes from situation to situation, but the point is the same; there is a certain amount of money which can affect you level of happiness beyond which it makes no difference.

I disagree. Someone who makes enough money that they can give (very) significant Tzedakah, it can really change the way that they feel about themselves and live their lives

Offline yehuda S

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2013, 10:22:20 AM »

+ A Zillion

Offline yehuda S

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2013, 10:23:35 AM »
Yes.

There is no correlation between money and happiness.

Can you tell us more about this person? Sounds like someone I'd like to meet!

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2013, 10:26:04 AM »
+1,000,0000,0000
+ A Zillion

Whoa! Way too many points used in one shot! Dan should start charging overdraft fees!
Visibly Jewish

Offline yehuda S

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2013, 10:26:46 AM »
Whoa! Way too many points used in one shot! Dan should start charging overdraft fees!

You can't put a price on the truth  :D

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2013, 10:43:11 AM »
I disagree. Someone who makes enough money that they can give (very) significant Tzedakah, it can really change the way that they feel about themselves and live their lives
Agreed. The ironic thing is that it's not having the money bringing him happiness, it's the giving away.

Can you tell us more about this person? Sounds like someone I'd like to meet!
Here are 2:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/austria/7190750/Millionaire-gives-away-fortune-that-made-him-miserable.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millard_Fuller

Offline yehuda S

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2013, 10:52:02 AM »
Agreed. The ironic thing is that it's not having the money bringing him happiness, it's the giving away.
Here are 2:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/austria/7190750/Millionaire-gives-away-fortune-that-made-him-miserable.html

Wow! This guy is my hero! You can recognize that money brings you trouble but giving it away is a huge leap and extremely brave.

Offline Twin

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2013, 10:53:58 AM »
I'm not any smarter then chazal who says that $ does not make you happy