Author Topic: Alternate Side Parking Ticket in NYC  (Read 9746 times)

Offline Moishel

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Alternate Side Parking Ticket in NYC
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2013, 02:22:56 PM »
My issue with street cleaning is this: Once a week for each side is too often!!! Makes me a potential ticket victim twice a week. The timing is also preposterous!! 8:30-10 AM (in my area) is the most hectic time of the day as it is (Shachris, Kids buses.....) 

4 Hydrants per block is also bit much, but i may get killed on that one.

Not complaining, its the life i chose. Ill just never feel like I deserved it and just pay the ticket, if i think there's any chance i can wiggle out of it, i take that shot.
It's not only that, why in the world do they need a hour and a half windows to be on my block? why can city buses keep to a strict schedule (or at least try to) and they need a 1.5 hour window? give them 20-30 minutes to be on that block and move on. The only reason for this huge time slot is to generate more revenue to the city.
Go to other states, how much is your typical parking fine? ten dollars? twenty? why in NYC can it be 115? it's absurd! did you ever see in any other state the meter maids running around like they do here? how can New Yorkers let themselves be abused like that is beyond me, where are our elected Representative? Care to explain the logic behind ticketing at non-working fire hydrants and out of use bus stops? or why we can't move back our cars once the cleaning truck passed?

We the sheeple...

Offline whYME

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2013, 11:29:32 PM »
It's not only that, why in the world do they need a hour and a half windows to be on my block? why can city buses keep to a strict schedule (or at least try to) and they need a 1.5 hour window? give them 20-30 minutes to be on that block and move on. The only reason for this huge time slot is to generate more revenue to the city.
There was a time when I was paying attention to when they came by, virtually every day it was within the same 5 minute time frame (which happened to be within ten minutes of the start of the hour and a half.)

Offline Avid Reader

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2013, 01:41:34 AM »
Just last week as i went to move my car back to the right side of the street after alternate side parking was over at 1:30, I saw 2 cops racing to give out tickets to the cars still double parked on the other side. It was exactly 1:30. Because these people cared to move their cars for street cleaning, they got themselves a $115 ticket! it would have been cheaper to just not move their cars and pay the $45 ticket. Totally insane.

I just got one of these tickets. The time  on the double parking ticket is 1:30 exactly, and alt side parking is from 12 to 1:30. My question is, has anyone had luck fighting a double parking ticket that they got during alt side parking hrs, Or is it a lost case?

Offline RoboJam

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Silver, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2013, 12:21:48 PM »
I just got one of these tickets. The time  on the double parking ticket is 1:30 exactly, and alt side parking is from 12 to 1:30. My question is, has anyone had luck fighting a double parking ticket that they got during alt side parking hrs, Or is it a lost case?
No Luck.
Technically, you're not allowed to double park even for alternate side, its just not enforced in NYC since there really is no other alternative and the city is soo congested. Any shot at getting you at a double parking ticket (without looking like an a$$), they will fine you. So in essence, they could give you a ticket at the time of alternate, and you can do nothing to fight it.
It may be that my sole purpose in life is to serve as a bad example

Offline syp5

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2013, 01:04:32 PM »
i got a ticket as well for double parking on a day that alternate side was suspended to some really obscure holiday. I tried to fight it saying that in live in NJ and dont get the a/s schedule, but they replied that its never legal to double park but that it is tolerated on days when a/s is in effect. i responded that that its totally unfair, how am i supposed to know being from NJ that its only a tolerated practice and if its tolerated practice than that should be the case here too...... but to no avail

Offline Avid Reader

• View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2013, 02:36:58 PM »
Has anyone been successful fighting such a ticket?

Offline moko

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2013, 02:59:24 PM »
No Luck.
Technically, you're not allowed to double park even for alternate side, its just not enforced in NYC certain neighborhoods since there really is no other alternative and the city is soo congested. Any shot at getting you at a double parking ticket (without looking like an a$$), they will fine you. So in essence, they could give you a ticket at the time of alternate, and you can do nothing to fight it.
FTFY

Offline wierdal832

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2013, 03:10:16 PM »
I didn't read thru the thread but I've gotten a few parking and no standing tix. What I did was and worked every time. I got a bill from my body shop that the car had to be towed and he put a new battery in. I send the bill in along w the ticket and a note saying that my car died and this was the safest place to put the car till the car gets towed

Offline judahk88

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2013, 03:38:27 PM »
I didn't read thru the thread but I've gotten a few parking and no standing tix. What I did was and worked every time. I got a bill from my body shop that the car had to be towed and he put a new battery in. I send the bill in along w the ticket and a note saying that my car died and this was the safest place to put the car till the car gets towed
+1 I do the same thing. worked a few times for me.

Offline noturbizniss

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2013, 12:10:35 PM »
i got a ticket as well for double parking on a day that alternate side was suspended to some really obscure holiday. I tried to fight it saying that in live in NJ and dont get the a/s schedule, but they replied that its never legal to double park but that it is tolerated on days when a/s is in effect. i responded that that its totally unfair, how am i supposed to know being from NJ that its only a tolerated practice and if its tolerated practice than that should be the case here too...... but to no avail
Ignorance is never an excuse for breaking a law, regardless of how dumb the law may or may not be.  Even if it was legal to DP on AS days you gotta know the laws where you are. Sorry bro/sis.
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...can still do FT method
...READS THE WIKI!!!