Author Topic: Smartphones/PDA vs. Blackberry  (Read 26720 times)

Offline Yitzter

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Smartphones/PDA vs. Blackberry
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2008, 07:15:40 PM »
Ok I guess then my dear friend was wrong. But verizon still cripples their phones! lmao
"There are three types of people in this world: those who make things happen, those who watch things

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2008, 10:57:30 PM »
One thing you may want to consider is an amazing mobile browser called opera mini. I'm on it right now. Some consider it to be better than Safari. On Verizon it will only work on a smartphone since it runs on Java. You would need a Java Virtual Machine. Sprint phones all run on Java and it works great. To use all features you must first activate the developer root at sprintdevelopers.com. It can be downloaded from mini.opera.com.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Yitzter

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2008, 01:59:30 AM »
Actually, I just got invited to download this new browser called skyfire, it's crazy fast, loaded apple.com webpage in under 5 secs. It's a still a beta, but I gotta give them credit.
"There are three types of people in this world: those who make things happen, those who watch things

Offline Eli

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Fairmont Premier, Avis First, Star Alliance Gold, bmi Gold and A"A Lifetime Gold
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2008, 07:08:57 AM »
One thing you may want to consider is an amazing mobile browser called opera mini. I'm on it right now. Some consider it to be better than Safari. On Verizon it will only work on a smartphone since it runs on Java. You would need a Java Virtual Machine. Sprint phones all run on Java and it works great. To use all features you must first activate the developer root at sprintdevelopers.com. It can be downloaded from mini.opera.com.

Thank you for recommending this. I've been using Pocket IE till now but with opera mini the experience is much more like a desktop.
-Eli

Offline Yitzter

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2008, 12:13:03 PM »
Is opera mini free?

Offline Eli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Fairmont Premier, Avis First, Star Alliance Gold, bmi Gold and A"A Lifetime Gold
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2008, 12:19:18 PM »
Is opera mini free?

Yes. Why don't you just go their website and see?
-Eli

Offline Yitzter

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2008, 12:30:08 PM »
Your right, I could have. But seriously was way to lazy.

Offline whYME

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2008, 01:05:42 PM »
If I wanted to get the SERO plan for a blackberry is there a separate data plan I can add on to that or would I need to go with the $99 unlimited everything plan?

Offline Yitzter

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2008, 01:16:18 PM »
You cant use regular data with the blackberry, you'd have to pay like 40/month for bb service.

Offline Yitzter

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2008, 01:16:58 PM »
I do not think the 99 Unlimited Includes BB data.

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2008, 01:36:21 PM »
I do not think the 99 Unlimited Includes BB data.
From sprint's site:
Everything your phone, PDA or smartphone can do nationwide — text, surf, email, listen, watch, find and, of course, talk — on one simple plan.

This plan includes
Unlimited mobile internet and messaging: Web surfing, email, GPS Navigation, Sprint Music, Sprint TV®, BlackBerry® Internet Services (BIS), text, pictures, video
Domestic long distance and roaming
900/450 plans: Unlimited mobile to mobile, night calling starting at 7 p.m. and weekends

on a standard (non-SERO) plan you get 450 anytime minutes and unlimited everything else for $70. (unlimited everything for $100 -same as SERO)
Basically it doesnt sound like there's much of an advantage to the SERO plan.

Offline Yitzter

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2008, 01:49:12 PM »
The SERO is only 30$ for 450 mins and unlimited everything.

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2008, 02:13:18 PM »
The SERO is only 30$ for 450 mins and unlimited everything.
No, the sero only has unlimited "everything" for pda/smartphones on the $99 plan.

the $30 only has unlimited data for "regular" phones.

$30 plan:
These plans are compatible with Sprint Power Vision Phones only.

$99 plan:
Everything your phone, PDA or smartphone can do nationwide — text, surf, email, listen, watch, find and, of course, talk — on one simple plan.

Offline Yitzter

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2008, 02:21:06 PM »
First off. You can use the regular internet on a Pocket PC. My friend is using it now, he is paying 30/month for the sero plan and is using the internet on his htc mogul. So you CAN use the internet on pda's.

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2008, 02:30:25 PM »
First off. You can use the regular internet on a Pocket PC. My friend is using it now, he is paying 30/month for the sero plan and is using the internet on his htc mogul. So you CAN use the internet on pda's.
how about a blackberry? is it the same thing?

Offline Yitzter

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2008, 02:50:47 PM »
Nope. BB uses it's own data plan. That's why you can get away with it with a pda but not a BB. Trust me, I've looked into this.

Offline Eli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2008, 04:30:33 PM »
Just to let you people know, a similar thing exists with Cingular. When you buy a PDA from them, they will charge you $50 for the PDA Bundle plan which includes unlimited texting and internet. All you need to do is get a hold of an old GSM phone you have lying around the house, call Cingular, and give them the IMEI number of the phone. Tell them that it is the phone that you are currently using on this plan. You will then be able to switch to the $35 Media Max Bundle. BTW, the phone model that it shows you have online is NOT the indication of what they have in the system. You MUST give them the IMEI of a non-PDA phone in order for this to work.

On a side note, this morning my phone was vibrating off the hook and it really pissed me off, so I picked it up and threw it across the room. Of course the battery flew out when it hit the wall, but this same scenario has happened before and it's always ok afterwards. However, this morning when I tried turning on my phone, I got a white screen and nothing worked to get it fixed. Oh well. Lesson learned. Anyway, I stopped by a Cingular store and picked up a BlackJack II since they didn't have my phone in stock. What's the point of my story...you may ask? I'm convinced - actually I'm 100% certain - that I can type faster on my old phone with T9 than I can with a full keyboard. I think that's pretty awesome. I hate this new phone and I can't wait to call Cingular XBM (Exchange By Mail) and get my phone replaced under the warranty.
-Eli

Offline Yitzter

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2008, 04:45:25 PM »
Just to let you people know, a similar thing exists with Cingular. When you buy a PDA from them, they will charge you $50 for the PDA Bundle plan which includes unlimited texting and internet. All you need to do is get a hold of an old GSM phone you have lying around the house, call Cingular, and give them the IMEI number of the phone. Tell them that it is the phone that you are currently using on this plan. You will then be able to switch to the $35 Media Max Bundle. BTW, the phone model that it shows you have online is NOT the indication of what they have in the system. You MUST give them the IMEI of a non-PDA phone in order for this to work.

On a side note, this morning my phone was vibrating off the hook and it really pissed me off, so I picked it up and threw it across the room. Of course the battery flew out when it hit the wall, but this same scenario has happened before and it's always ok afterwards. However, this morning when I tried turning on my phone, I got a white screen and nothing worked to get it fixed. Oh well. Lesson learned. Anyway, I stopped by a Cingular store and picked up a BlackJack II since they didn't have my phone in stock. What's the point of my story...you may ask? I'm convinced - actually I'm 100% certain - that I can type faster on my old phone with T9 than I can with a full keyboard. I think that's pretty awesome. I hate this new phone and I can't wait to call Cingular XBM (Exchange By Mail) and get my phone replaced under the warranty.

I am speechless, All I can say is WOW! Did you type that all on your new phone, you seemed pretty darn excited there for a sec.

Offline Eli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2008, 05:31:21 PM »
I am speechless, All I can say is WOW! Did you type that all on your new phone, you seemed pretty darn excited there for a sec.

I wrote that on a computer. I could never write that much with a phone. I'm trying as hard as possible not to use this phone. In fact, the second I find a Cingular store with my phone in stock, I'm exchanging the BlackJack II for it.
-Eli

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2008, 08:17:02 PM »
Ok, so how does it work with a pda/smartphone?
If I sign up for the SERO plan getting a pda will I automatically have unlimited internet or is there some shtick I need to pull?

If I do this and get 'busted', what's the worst that can happen?