Author Topic: Smartphones/PDA vs. Blackberry  (Read 26764 times)

Offline Scrable

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Smartphones/PDA vs. Blackberry
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2008, 09:31:51 PM »
Sero has free internet complimentary for now, so there is no shtick. Tho is you wanted to get free internet on a regular plan it wont be to easy unless your on there old billing system.
Zalman.

Offline coralsnake

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2008, 10:31:03 PM »
I have a Blackberry and am very happy with it.
I get my emails very quickly and am able to stay on top of my business.
I dont need all the bells and whistles of the 'smart phones'; just need my emails when Im not in the office and the Blackberry does the job the best.

The problem is that I have T-Mobile Blackberry for data only (no voice/phone service) and have a separate Verizon phone. Although this is the cheapest, I have been considering consolidating to one device, but I dont want to leave Verizon for voice. With T-Mobile BB im paying $30 a month unlimited; with Verizon it will be more. 
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan

Offline Yitzter

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2008, 10:38:41 PM »
I wrote that on a computer. I could never write that much with a phone. I'm trying as hard as possible not to use this phone. In fact, the second I find a Cingular store with my phone in stock, I'm exchanging the BlackJack II for it.
Why don't you like the blackjack, is it not a good phone? I can only type on a qwerty, I cant stand T9
"There are three types of people in this world: those who make things happen, those who watch things

Offline Eli

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Fairmont Premier, Avis First, Star Alliance Gold, bmi Gold and A"A Lifetime Gold
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2008, 10:52:27 PM »
it's slow, and unintuitive. on a t9 phone i can type insanely fast and it knows what i wanna say. on this phone many times i end up pressing two buttons at once cuz they're so small, and when i wanna type an apostrophe it takes two keystrokes. it's just a ridiculous phone. i can't wait to switch back already. i hope XBM does next day shipping.

the ONLY good thing about this phone is 3G. i love simultaneous voice and data, and quick data speeds.
-Eli

Offline Yitzter

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2008, 10:55:33 PM »
Good luck, what phone did you have beforehand?
"There are three types of people in this world: those who make things happen, those who watch things

Offline E

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2008, 01:42:31 AM »
Just to let you people know, a similar thing exists with Cingular. When you buy a PDA from them, they will charge you $50 for the PDA Bundle plan which includes unlimited texting and internet. All you need to do is get a hold of an old GSM phone you have lying around the house, call Cingular, and give them the IMEI number of the phone. Tell them that it is the phone that you are currently using on this plan. You will then be able to switch to the $35 Media Max Bundle. BTW, the phone model that it shows you have online is NOT the indication of what they have in the system. You MUST give them the IMEI of a non-PDA phone in order for this to work.
oh i could start a whole forum just on this. first of all never say you MUST by cingular/att every rep runs their own small company with their own rules and "official company polocies"  ive had every combanation of plan on every phone iphone plan on a blackberry and a prepaid plan on an iphone (i know no point in either one but why not) , ...obviously this is genaiva but you could technically get your whole plan for free every month if you call up and complain enough. the one rule of thumb by att/cingular ANYTHING is possible.   
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 02:14:19 AM by E »

Offline Yitzter

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2008, 02:36:11 AM »
you typed more letters than you would have to go to there website seriously!

Oh and btw, it was a lot easier for me to write that down then check up the website, besides who the hell cares if I asked whether it was free or not. Jeez, what has this world come to.

Offline Mordy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2008, 12:23:05 PM »
I am using the mogul, its a piece of s***, there is a memory leak so there is absolutely no extra memory on this thing, you have to reset at least twice a day to get it going normal. If you know what your doing, you can get a custom rom. It'll help plus you can get GPS and Rev A.

Yitzer, Hi, allow me to introduce myself on the mobile developer forums of XDA-devs and PPCGeeks- I go by Dishe, and I *wrote the flipping tutorial on how to flash the Titan (mogul)*

I was also involved in finding and fixing the bluetooth bug in the original rom release, which sprint used in their next update.

The memory leak, etc, is NOT A PROBLEM if you use a proper rom. The problem is that there has been so much junk floating around, and the stock rom is terrible.
I have built plenty of flawless roms that run circles around any other device in features, performance, and speed. You have to delve into it and sift out the garbage to have a good device, which I agree is annoying, but its worth it if you want the most powerful device available.

As far as Blackberry being the best push email client available-
I'm sorry, I disagree.
Its the easiest. The simplest. But not the best.
Try an exchange server, and you may sing a different tune.

Right now, exchange pushes sync best with Windows Mobile (MS promoting their own platform), but I know they are developing activesync for other platforms, including the iphone, so very soon you'll get full PIM push in all its bi-directional glory on just about any device worthwhile (other than the Blackberry).

I stand behind my original statement:
Blackberry is the easiest platform, and if you're a newbie, might be worth it.
Smartphones offer FAR more features and power, but then you'd have to choose between a PPC, Palm, or Symbian (I don't even consider the iPhone a smartphone until 3rd party apps are fully supported, which should be soon- but even then not worth the marketing hype you pay for in my opinion).

Take it as  you will...

And while we're on it:
http://www.dansdeals.com/forums/index.php?topic=57

Oh, and whoever said they're using the HTC Smartflip- Kudos! I love that phone, and its the thing I miss most about switching to cdma.
However, htc has some exclusive new phones coming only to CDMA here in the states, such as the diamond and raphael (The European diamond is only triband, missing the 850mhz band that AT&T needs to operate, and word on the street is that htc has no plans of making a US gsm version of the phone). Still, it seems like t9-based smartphones are out, in lui of bigger, keyboard and/or touchscreen toting PDAs instead. Its a shame really.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 12:47:35 PM by Mordy »
Mobile Enthusiast Extraordinaire

Visit one of the Tech Blogs I write: http://www.techcitement.com

Offline Yitzter

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2008, 03:15:43 PM »
Yitzer, Hi, allow me to introduce myself on the mobile developer forums of XDA-devs and PPCGeeks- I go by Dishe, and I *wrote the flipping tutorial on how to flash the Titan (mogul)*

I was also involved in finding and fixing the bluetooth bug in the original rom release, which sprint used in their next update.

The memory leak, etc, is NOT A PROBLEM if you use a proper rom. The problem is that there has been so much junk floating around, and the stock rom is terrible.
I have built plenty of flawless roms that run circles around any other device in features, performance, and speed. You have to delve into it and sift out the garbage to have a good device, which I agree is annoying, but its worth it if you want the most powerful device available.

Btw, I really like dcd's roms, he does a great job. I just flashed last night with his more current rom 3.2.1 and the new "unofficial" radio 3.39. You know about those right.

Even with dcd's roms which are cut down and very clean, still I have to reset several times a day. It's night and day difference between stock roms though. I am on xda devs a lot of the day and don't see you around. I go by yitzter on devs.

Offline Mordy

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2008, 10:10:20 PM »
Yea, I've seen your name. I have a bunch of different names on XDA, I had to change them because I got in trouble with the PPCgeeks crowd (who has quite the distaste for dcd... apparently he made some antisemetic cracks about something).

Anyway, dcd is a buddy of mine, I talk to him on an almost daily basis. His roms used to be cutting edge, but I don't recommend his newer ones, they're too buggy (as you've already noticed).

But, you should really consider the latest no2chem releases... his 5067 currently gets you almost 30mb free after boot. He had some issues due to a "borrowed" XIP from the new sprint leaked rom 3.49, however he's going back to a more stable XIP now that we've found that is the culprit.
I'm currently using my own hybrid of no2chem 5060 and some Helmi C stuff I'm experimenting with. I reset my phone maybe once a week, and usually because I'm taking out the battery. Sometimes it freezes on its own, but rarely, and only when I'm doing something untested (like run the sprint pic mail from the new leaked devices, or the ATI drivers from the diamond rom, which *SHOULD* freeze it!)

Offline Yitzter

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2008, 11:11:03 PM »
Yea, I've seen your name. I have a bunch of different names on XDA, I had to change them because I got in trouble with the PPCgeeks crowd (who has quite the distaste for dcd... apparently he made some antisemetic cracks about something).

Anyway, dcd is a buddy of mine, I talk to him on an almost daily basis. His roms used to be cutting edge, but I don't recommend his newer ones, they're too buggy (as you've already noticed).

But, you should really consider the latest no2chem releases... his 5067 currently gets you almost 30mb free after boot. He had some issues due to a "borrowed" XIP from the new sprint leaked rom 3.49, however he's going back to a more stable XIP now that we've found that is the culprit.
I'm currently using my own hybrid of no2chem 5060 and some Helmi C stuff I'm experimenting with. I reset my phone maybe once a week, and usually because I'm taking out the battery. Sometimes it freezes on its own, but rarely, and only when I'm doing something untested (like run the sprint pic mail from the new leaked devices, or the ATI drivers from the diamond rom, which *SHOULD* freeze it!)

I tried no2chem, he's not bad. I used dcd's kitchen and made my own rom, but we all know how that went.

I'm going to take your advice about no2chems release. where is he holding? And what version is his new rom. If you can hook a link it would be awesome.

Thanks man.

Offline Eli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Fairmont Premier, Avis First, Star Alliance Gold, bmi Gold and A"A Lifetime Gold
« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2008, 10:40:33 AM »
As far as Blackberry being the best push email client available-
I'm sorry, I disagree.
Its the easiest. The simplest. But not the best.
Try an exchange server, and you may sing a different tune.

Right now, exchange pushes sync best with Windows Mobile (MS promoting their own platform), but I know they are developing activesync for other platforms, including the iphone, so very soon you'll get full PIM push in all its bi-directional glory on just about any device worthwhile (other than the Blackberry).

I stand behind my original statement:
Blackberry is the easiest platform, and if you're a newbie, might be worth it.
Smartphones offer FAR more features and power, but then you'd have to choose between a PPC, Palm, or Symbian (I don't even consider the iPhone a smartphone until 3rd party apps are fully supported, which should be soon- but even then not worth the marketing hype you pay for in my opinion).

Oh, and whoever said they're using the HTC Smartflip- Kudos! I love that phone, and its the thing I miss most about switching to cdma.

I'm the guy who uses the HTC Startrek AKA iMate Smartflip AKA Qtek 8500 AKA Cingular 3125. I've had that phone for almost 2 years now (got my first one from Europe 6 months before it came out in the US) and it is the only phone I can ever see myself using. Before that I had the Moto MPX220 which is essentially the same thing just with WM2003SE. I was dying for HTC to come out with the Erato AKA S420 but apparantly that project got cancelled. That would've been my dream phone - WM6, 3G, Wifi (I think) and a faster processor in the form factor of the 3125 I have now. I would've bought 6 of them to make sure I can still have it in case mine breaks and they stop stocking them.

Either way, Mordy, I want to have a full - all out battle with you on Blackberry vs WM with Exchange. Trust me I know what it's like to use Exchange with WM. I run my own exchange server and have been using it with my WM phone for 2 years. While I agree with you that a WM smartphone has a *ton* more apps and customizations available for it (don't you just love cooking ROM's - the fear that this time you might brick your phone - oh, it's amazing, there's nothing like it!) I stand firmly that the BlackBerry is the *best push e-mail in the world.*

What I mean is that with a BB you know that you will always get your e-mail. You don't have to worry that maybe you were on the phone and the device tried to sync and then didn't realize that you got off the phone and therefore didn't try to retrieve your e-mail. You don't have to worry that the internet will just get stuck, and for some unknown reason you have to reboot your phone to get anywhere. You won't have to worry that after you hang up from a call, if you make another one too quick (within about 30 seconds) yourt device will not have enough time to do a sync. All those things happen all the time with a WM phone, and NEVER EVER with a BB. I would imagine if you are a techie you understand the differences between BB's REAL PUSH and WM's FAKE PUSH. You cannot compare. With a BB, you will always get your e-mail the second it's available unless your on the phone (I can't wait for the BB Bold with HSDPA/UMTS which will allow you to receive e-mails while on the phone). If you hang up from a call, before you even get a chance to press TALK TALK to call the guy back for example, you will already have any new e-mails that are waiting for you. That's what I meant when I said it has the best damn push e-mail in the world.

With all that said, you realize that I still have a WM device and not a BB. Reason being because I LOVE the full PIM synchronization. There's nothing else to talk about. When I walked into Cingular on Sunday to buy a new phone, before I was out of the store I had already downloaded all my contacts/calendar/e-mail/tasks from my Exchange server. Of course with a BB Enterprise server that is also possible, but then again the BB Enterprise plan costs a fortune on most providers.

Finally, let me prove to you that BB is better. 2 years ago I worked over the summer for 2 months as an IT guy for a corporation with 150 employees in 10 offices nationwide. I was simultaneously dealing with the idiot users who couldn't figure out how to turn on their monitor, and also configuring a new Exchange server and terminal server. I absolutely needed to be on the phone all day, and I absolutely needed to get my e-mails all day, so in addition to my WM smartphone with Exchange, I got myself a blackberry. Ready for this? Without fail, my blackberry always got my e-mails first.

So let's hear your rebuttal, Mordy. Do you agree now that BB is better - at least with push e-mail - than any other device or technology in the world?
-Eli

Offline Mordy

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2008, 01:24:33 PM »
no.

Oh, you want me to explain too?
Sheesh, you want everything don't ya?
;)

Ok, so yes, I do actually have, dare I call it, *intimate* knowledge of how the BB works its push, and how MS does its push.

Why you call MS's "fake" is beyond me, though. It is designed about as similarly as possible without infringing patents, and if you're going to call one "fake", they both should be.

Why? Because real all devices, including Blackberrys, "pull" their email. What happens is the BB holds an idle connection to their server, which waits to receive new email. When the server receives a new message, it sends a tiny blip of a command to the BB which tells it to check and pull new messages NOW. Without that blip notification, the BB wouldn't receive any new messages. If you want to get technical, the only thing really receiving the emails "pushed" is the server, when then notifies the handset to pull.
(By the way, blackberry's servers still have to check public email addresses on 15 min intervals. So, your yahoo, gmail, hotmail, etc. will all be 15 min delayed by default.)

Exchange works the same way. The phone sits with a connection open and waits for the service to send a notification command to sync, which it will then do.
So why is it different?
Well, I'll go out on a limb here and say it could be any number of circumstances surrounding just YOU.
You're running a smartflip, which is a WM5 device that, if you kept up to date, should be at least running aku2. Aku2 barely  introduced push email, and in fact had a few bugs with some of its new features.
Notably, A2DP had major issues with sound quality, and exchange sync did not yet support the advanced features (error corrections, html support, search emails not even on your device, etc), which was all fixed in WM6.
Another thing to take into consideration is that you're running your own exchange server, you said.
Blackberry's servers are constantly maintained on an industrial level, and probably far more reliable than your box unless you're renting a dedicated server and constantly maintaining it.
The best exchange experience for you will probably be running a hosted exchange service.

I am currently running WM6.1 with an exchange server 2007 box of my own. I do this because I do not want to pay for hosted exchange anymore, but the box is not as reliable as the hosted one. Things do get delayed because of cable's smtp servers and/or the power of my single server's resources.
But, my push experience is VERY good, just as good as sms. If I get a call, I still get my emails right after (barely a minute delay at most).

By the way, if you want to really blow your mind, it sounds like your problem is the edge/voice tradeoff. Did you know that 3G GSM devices support simultaneous voice and data?
Yeah, that means if you took the plunge for a modern device like the Tilt, you'd get your emails *while on the phone*.

Take that, your turn. :)

Offline Eli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2008, 03:45:20 PM »
Should I *bash* you and say I knew all that already? I think yes.

I would imagine you understand that an SMS is "pushed" to the phone. That is the way BB handles the push. If you want, you can do research online and see this for yourself. Obviously they cannot push it the same way SMS is pushed, rather it has to be over the internet, but still, it is a push. MS's way of doing it is fake. They send what's called a "heartbeat" (but you knew that already) to the phone constantly, and that heartbeat will tell the phone if there is a new item on the server. The phone then has to initiate a "pull" sync. That is totally different than the way BB does it.

Don't bother talking about blackberry's need to poll other e-mail accounts only every 15 minutes. We both know we are talking here about a @att.blackberry.net e-mail address which is the real thing. I would just have my gmail account forward to that and it only takes an extra second or two to receive the e-mail.

I don't know if you've ever used a blackberry before although I'm sure you have, and if you have you would notice, like I said, that it takes not more than 3 seconds to receive your e-mails after you hang up the phone. Try that with WM. Oh, and have you never seen the "Check Status" link on MS's ActiveSync program alerting you that "Synchronization failed because a voice call was in progress"? I DON'T GIVE A DAMN IF I WAS ON THE PHONE WHEN YOU TRIED SYNCING, AT LEAST SYNC WHEN I GET OFF THE PHONE! But no, it'll just wait until the next heartbeat was supposed to expire and then do a sync then...could be 15 minutes to an hour before that happens. Does that happen with a blackberry? No way! Never.

And Mordy, please don't try to blow my mind with technology. I respect the fact that you are high up in XDA. I myself have spent many hours (days...) on that site answering people's questions and coming up with fixes for things. No, I am no longer running WM5. I am now running WM 6.1 from GnatGoSplat. There is absolutely no difference betweent the way AS (ActiveSync) works here as it did with WM5 once AKU2 came out. I was hoping the sync would be more reliable, but it was not at all.

Yes, I am running my own exchange server, and no it does not make a difference. Maybe a second or two difference in sync times but that's not the point I was making. I was saying that the darn phone doesn't sync when it's supposed to and many times for 30 minutes or longer there are e-mails that you don't know about. That would NEVER (did I say that enough? NEVER) happen with blackberry. So it's not about the server, it's about the protocol and the AS software not syncing properly. And even if the phone was programmed to always do a sync immediately after a hang up (which it should if there's no 3G), it would still take almost 30 seconds to sync even with no e-mail.

And speaking of 3G, yes, of course I know about Cingular's simultaneous voice and data HSDPA/UMTS technology. In fact I was so intrigued by it that I went ahead and bought from eBay a BlackBerry 8707v which has UMTS technology. About 45 seconds after I paid for it, I found out that it didn't run on America's UMTS frequency (I think 2100Mhz) rather only on Europe's, so I had to convince the seller not to go through with the transaction. I'm now using a BlackJack II until I fix my 3125 which has 3G in some areas so I see the massive upside of it.

Convinced yet? Your turn.
-Eli

Offline Mordy

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2008, 04:13:57 PM »
Hmmm. I'm not understanding your "argument".

So, basically, yes, async uses the "hearbeat" as it may be referred.

So does blackberry.
That's what I'm trying to tell you. The concept of push is the same, and when configured properly, messages will come just as fast on the exchange method as with BB's server.

That's it. Period.
Now I could start saying that I've tested them side by side, and blah blah blah... but there's no point in that. Clearly you think BB's are powered by magic and nothing that MS can do to "imitate" can possibly compete with power bestowed to RIM by the dark l0rd.
 ???
I don't know what you think blackberrys do any differently, its just a simple protocol that's been around for a while.

I also don't know why yours is different, because I get my email instantly. Even after a phone call. "heartbeats" are not on 15 min intervals. Its an IP connection that is restored at first chance after being disconnected by lack of service or a phone call.

It could be something your phone is doing that is keeping it busy instead of syncing, or perhaps you don't have a proper GSM radio to reconnect the data right away.

Also, you can't really expect me to buy that your hosted exchange is the same. Do you have a multi-fiber connection to the internet with a room full of redundant servers feeding your push over exchange, or is it a dinky computer over a cable modem?

Offline Eli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2008, 04:35:30 PM »
I'm pretty sure the technologies work differently, allowing BB's to get you your mail MUCH faster than WM, which was my point to begin with. Also, with BB's there is no need for a heartbeat - it just works. If the data connections get stopped for a phone call, it restarts IMMEDIATELY. My phone is exactly the issue but it's not just with my phone. The radio ROM is fine and working. It's the fact that EAS is too stupid to realize that I'm off the phone, or that I came back into service. What's the deal with that? Why would that be so hard to monitor the situation and realize when there is no connection to the server and actively try to reconnect?

There is a lot of information supporting what I'm saying at http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/wireless/?p=202
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 04:41:42 PM by Eli »
-Eli

Offline Mordy

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2008, 04:46:48 PM »
Despite the seemingly annual BlackBerry outages, at least I can rely on a BlackBerry to keep working the rest of the time. The Windows Mobile Smartphones I’ve had required frequent resets. Also, push mail simply grinds to a halt when the data stops flowing for unknown reasons. I doubt the fault lies in the technological implementation of push mail on Microsoft’s end. However, I just don’t see the final polish in the various implementations by Microsoft’s OEMs.

Yes, so his problem, as is the problem with many WM users, is in the final "polish". Windows Mobile suffers from the "too many cooks spoil the broth" syndrome. You have too many ends that can go wrong- MS writes the software, but does not host the service. The hardware manufacturers make the devices, but do not write the OS. The hardware providers write drivers for the components which need to be cooked together with the MS OS and then delivered to the service provider (att, sprint, vz, etc) who then puts their own spin on the software and OS.
In the end, if push mail doesn't work 100%, there are too many people to blame.
With Blackberry, its end-to-end with the service provider in the middle. So yes, their product is simpler and just works out of the box. Same can be said for Apple's products (hardware and software come from the same place), which has been why apple always had the better user experiences.

Does that make it better?
Only if you're not willing to take the time to perfect your setup with the former.
I have cooked up my own firmware for my phone which does everything exactly the way I expect it to, and worked most of the kinks out of my personal exchange server so that I won't have to deal with a commercial one. Problems do arise from time to time (comcast changed ports and blocked my outgoing one day and I didn't realize my emails weren't going thru until later), but that is the result of being cheap and running your own setup.

At least MS ALLOWS you do that, unlike blackberry and its closed-source high-license-fee system.

Is exchange the best? No, its different. Its clearly not the worst. BB is good at what it does, but I think the open source sync solutions from my buddy Fabrizio Copabianco will knock the pants off of RIM's solution even on native blackberrys....
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 10:26:21 AM by Mordy »

Offline Eli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 03, 2008, 06:58:50 PM »
Ok, so we friendly disagree. What would you say to the design features of a BB vs a WM SmartPhone? You can't even compare! Two spaces for a period...that's genious. Why hasn't MS thought of that. And the autocorrect? OMG that is awesome. im becomes I'm, il becomes I'll, dont becomes don't, and of course the regulars...teh becomes the and adn becomes and. I mean, c'mon! That's what takes a device to the next level. I just wish there was a plugin for MS devices that can do such things. I have yet to come across one. Any ideas?
-Eli

Offline Mordy

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2008, 07:54:11 PM »
Ok, so we friendly disagree. What would you say to the design features of a BB vs a WM SmartPhone? You can't even compare! Two spaces for a period...that's genious. Why hasn't MS thought of that. And the autocorrect? OMG that is awesome. im becomes I'm, il becomes I'll, dont becomes don't, and of course the regulars...teh becomes the and adn becomes and. I mean, c'mon! That's what takes a device to the next level. I just wish there was a plugin for MS devices that can do such things. I have yet to come across one. Any ideas?

LOL, is that all you need?
Dude, pocket pc's did that LONG before blackberrys did. And, to sweeten the deal, since its a "smart"phone, you can design your own input system with your own stuff like that.
I never use apostrophes anymore, the entry system on my WM phone does all that for me. Also capitilize first letter of sentance, etc...
Smartphones don't do this out of the box (the t9 based ones, anyway). I've seen people do that sort of stuff with some plugins, and there are other options like Xt9, etc...

Offline Eli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2008, 08:03:20 PM »
Um...Can you point me in the right direction? I got the ROM cooker to make me a version of the regular t9 since xt9 was too slow for me. I typed too fast for it to recognize everything. Anyway, yes I use t9 and not a full keyboard and I need to type the apostrophe's myself (by pressing 1) and it would be nice not to have to.

So what software can I use? Thanks.
-Eli