Topic Wiki

If you create a new account with a new email and new shipping a address (obviously  putting the proper shipping address) then you could get this deal a thousand times over. im on my 6th round of tickets FREE.

Author Topic: Stubhub Tickets  (Read 20508 times)

Offline anwar

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Stubhub Tickets
« on: February 03, 2013, 10:45:21 AM »
Not sure if this its been discussed or how many sports fan there are on the forums but since its Superbowl Sunday, thought I'd share a trick that's been working for me on stubhub.com for the past two years.  People are definitely catching onto this and its getting more competitive.  Unfortunately, it's gotten to the media cause they are trying to stop this.  So not sure how long it will last. Its not an exact science so don't exactly quote me on this but its been working for me for sporting events (Yankees, Nets, Jets)

This isn't going to work for everyone, especially those who are far from the stadium but being in Brooklyn, I'm very close to everything.  Okay so here is the premise:  When people put their tickets on stubhub, the smart ones put on a descending timer so as it gets closer to game time, the tickets drop drastically.  The people who aren't smart leave their tickets for the same crazy ridiculous price and eat the money rather than getting at least something back.  So if you're fortunate enough to live close to the stadium, if you buy tickets 45 minutes before game time, they usually drop drastically.  Works best if you can actually wait like 30 or 15 minutes before game time.  The tickets usually decrease in 15 minute increments.  Sometimes its 5 minute increments.  It really depends on the timer.  Sometimes this doesn't work and you can't get a deal because people don't put it on the timer but it usually works a good percentage of the time.

Examples:  I literally went to every single home Jets game this season and never paid full price for the ticket and sat lower section within the first 30 rows every time.  Sat on the goal line 8th row for $53 on a Monday night against Texans.  Two times (Dolphins & Cardinal game), we had club seats on the 50 yard line, which also had unlimited food.  The face value for that ticket was $315 per ticket.  We got them for $80 per ticket.  Now granted, you might be thinking 'well the Jets sucked this season'.  Very true.  But it also worked when I went to the Yankees playoff games against the Tigers.  And it also worked for Nets game at the new Barclay's Arena.  Probably works better for basketball games because there just so many of them.   

Note: I tried to see if it works for Knicks and Giants game but I haven't really delved into it too much so not sure how much their prices drop.  Also, this works for shows.   We were going to see Louie C.K. in Staten Island and when we went to pull the trigger to get the tickets, someone got it before we did.

So here are a few tips I've learned to make it work best-

1) be ready to jet to the stadium BEFORE you buy the ticket.  Buying the ticket should be the last thing you do cause the longer you wait, the lower they go.
2) have a set price that you're willing to pay and an area you'd like to sit or not want to sit (for me personally, I'm not sitting in the upper seats and id never pay more than $100 to go to a game) -- this is important cause once tickets drop, they go fast nowadays.
3) don't be emotionally attached to going to the game cause there will be times when you go to purchase, someone is literally 2 seconds quicker than you and your out of a ticket or a situation where the tickets just don't budge.

Let me know if you have any questions or if you have a better experience/way to do games or shows for cheap

Hope this helps

Offline robi

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Stubhub Tickets
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 10:47:56 AM »
Been doing this for years
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, then loved for who I'm not"

Offline anwar

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 10:53:13 AM »
okay me too.. and i said not sure if this was discussed or not.. and I'm new to the sight but isn't the point to share ways to do things for cheap?

Offline businessmachine

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 10:59:56 AM »
okay me too.. and i said not sure if this was discussed or not.. and I'm new to the sight but isn't the point to share ways to do things for cheap?

You're absolutely right. Thanks for sharing!! I'll definitely try this next season for some Giant games...

Offline Saver2000

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 11:08:46 AM »
You're absolutely right. Thanks for sharing!!
+1

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 11:23:42 AM »
I don't go to a lot of sports games,so I don't have much experience, but there's a site comes crowdseats that offers seats at 40-60% off face value a couple of weeks before a game. I know they have Yankees, nets, jets, devils, islanders and probably more in the nyc area.

I never bought from them and I have no idea how those same tickets stack up against stubhub, though it could be a good value for the not-so-last-minute sports fan.
Visibly Jewish

Offline elig770

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 01:58:58 PM »
Keep in mind sometimes there are cut off times to buy tickets. IIRC with MLB there's a cut off of 45 min to game time.

Offline dd321

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 02:38:30 PM »
Keep in mind sometimes there are cut off times to buy tickets. IIRC with MLB there's a cut off of 45 min to game time.
+1 alot of games tickets stop selling hour and half before the game time

Offline anwar

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 02:48:03 PM »
I havent run into this problem yet.. As recently as a month but it was NBA game

Offline robi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 02:55:43 PM »
Can confirm that NFL and NHL games can be bought until last second
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, then loved for who I'm not"

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 03:41:53 PM »
The Indians were 2 hours last year.
Did something change?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline elig770

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 03:49:37 PM »
The Indians were 2 hours last year.
Did something change?
Could be each team is different...

Edit: Each team actually sets the requirements of the cut off time for selling their tickets.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 04:10:06 PM by elig770 »

Offline dd321

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2013, 04:07:56 PM »
Can confirm that NFL and NHL games can be bought until last second
could be things changed.. my bad

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2013, 08:25:48 PM »
Could be each team is different...

Edit: Each team actually sets the requirements of the cut off time for selling their tickets.
Is there a list somewhere?
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline BrooklynCPA

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2013, 04:25:56 PM »
@ OP: Thank you for the well written detailed post. This is what we are all about here on DDF!!!!!

Offline dhalpern1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Fairmont Premier, Priority Club Platinum Elite
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2013, 04:30:08 PM »
Been doing this for years

+1. NY Knicks and Rangers ticket prices have gone up so much, no sense in buying them for face.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2013, 04:33:02 PM »
@ OP: Thank you for the well written detailed post. This is what we are all about here on DDF!!!!!
+1

And just because someone says they were doing this for years doesn't mean they are putting down your post they are just agreeing.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline wierdal832

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2013, 07:47:41 PM »
pretty sure they started keeping tickets up until the start of the event now, and yes ur idea works a lot, but sometime waiting can make prices go up, ive been buying and selling tix on stubhub for yrs

Offline damaxer91

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2013, 07:55:37 PM »
Yankees and Mets were 2 hrs before last seasons though that may change

Offline ticketmaster

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2013, 09:16:54 PM »
Can't believe I am going to give some "tricks of the trade" here.
I've been selling tickets on stubhub for almost 6 years and have tickets for many teams across the country (if I'm gonna give tips at least I can get some free advertising out of this)

First off the cutoff time varies by event. MLB for instance is not up until the start of the game.
In the past it was 2 hours I can;t remember what it will be next year.

Next when the original poster wrote that he went to every Jets game and paid below face, that's like saying I went to every home game for my local minor league baseball game and paid below face. When teams play well the chances of getting that great deal goes down.
That's not to say that when teams are good there are no deals to be had.

I'll give a few examples that i can remember:
Last year for the Rangers I got a great deal for round 2 game 5 waiting last minute. We bought tickets 20 minutes before the game picked them up in the city and witnessed one of the greatest games in recent years for the Rangers.
Round 3 game 1 tickets tanked vs the Devils friends of mine got great deals. Round 3 game 2 I have friends who went to the city after passing up somewhat affordable tickets earlier in the day. They ended up stuck in the city while ticket skyrocketed beyond their price range.

A more recent one. On MLK day the Knicks played the Nets at the Garden. A few days before tickets were going for $165-175 each. The morning of the game (it was a 3PM game) the cheapest seats on Stubhub were well over $400 each.

There are no guarantees in waiting it out each event is different.
Keep in mind different cities work differently in terms of cutoff times and market trends.

If you see an event on Stubhub and want to save the fees (and save me the fees) feel free to send me a message.
https://www.facebook.com/TopShelfTix