Author Topic: About the Journey, not the Destination?  (Read 10039 times)

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Re: About the Journey, not the Destination?
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2013, 01:15:41 AM »
Sounds like a concept I once heard. People enjoy the process of getting to a goal more than they actually enjoy the goal. For example, if God offered me either to work ten years, and after ten years I'll get ten million dollars, or to just win the lotto and make the ten million overnight, I would take the ten years of working.

You stand alone in that sentiment, at least when it comes to me. :)
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline MEIR613

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2013, 01:20:29 AM »
Sounds like a concept I once heard. People enjoy the process of getting to a goal more than they actually enjoy the goal. For example, if God offered me either to work ten years, and after ten years I'll get ten million dollars, or to just win the lotto and make the ten million overnight, I would take the ten years of working.

I think what AJK is saying, is that we make the goal the journey and we totally forget about the destination. We definitely enjoy the goal (journey) and maybe you can say your vort on a diiferent aspect about booking the tickets. Part of the geshmack is finding the availability and trying to find the best route that fits you. Meaning, if someone says, "here's a first class ticket I got for you with your miles" even if it was exactly what you wanted, it wouldn't be as geshmack since your weren't the one that found it. IMO 

Offline HelpMe

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2013, 01:34:35 AM »
I don't.

I was smiling because your approach is very similar to his...

#allaboutthebenjamins
My approach has changed over time. I see great benefit in what you are talking about. Especially your write up about your flight on your honeymoon.
"Elvis Has Left The Building"

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2013, 01:37:31 AM »
My approach has changed over time. I see great benefit in what you are talking about. Especially your write up about your flight on your honeymoon.

Been meaning to finish that. But I'm glad I was able to help shift your thought process on the matter.

For someone who I'm assuming can accrue lots of miles, taking an int'l flight in F on a premium carrier is a must-do.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2013, 01:38:56 AM »
Part of the geshmack is finding the availability and trying to find the best route that fits you. Meaning, if someone says, "here's a first class ticket I got for you with your miles" even if it was exactly what you wanted, it wouldn't be as geshmack since your weren't the one that found it. IMO
+1
You just agreed to my concept. :)

Another example would be learning a masechet of gemara. Most would enjoy the day to day rigors of learning another daf, another amud, more than they enjoy the actual siyum (the destination).
Visibly Jewish

Offline Drago

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2013, 09:09:39 AM »
The more and more I get into this "game", the more I find myself looking at destinations served by airlines with top-rated premium cabin long-haul redemptions and I let that dictate my destination instead of the destination dictating the airlines I fly.

Anyone else with me?
I hear you, but don't agree.
Firstly, since I can't eat the food, it seems to lose most of the panache that the TRs always show.
Secondly, Lucky just had a good post on this, in first class, he often finds himself trying to stay awake in order to appreciate the service, and luxury, and food, etc. In biz, he tries to sleep so he's well rested. And that seems to be as important.
Thirdly, I'd rather have the monetary value of the diff btw biz and first. That'll pay for my food, or rent, or s/t else.

But I do need to say that until I flew biz last year, I had never realized what a difference it makes. It basically makes the flight part of the vacation experience, and not part of the schlepping experience that it usually is on long-hauls. So it added on 2 days to my vacation.

Offline Drago

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2013, 09:13:29 AM »

C'mon, you're conflating two different topics.

+1
You just agreed to my concept. :)

Another example would be learning a masechet of gemara. Most would enjoy the day to day rigors of learning another daf, another amud, more than they enjoy the actual siyum (the destination).
Ditto to what I wrote above.

Offline Drago

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2013, 09:14:21 AM »
We've changed you?

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2013, 09:21:10 AM »
C'mon, you're conflating two different topics.
Ditto to what I wrote above.

Yes, different topics. Similar idea. The title keeps reminding me of that concept.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Achas Veachas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2013, 09:22:29 AM »
We've changed you?
See? Even older grasshoppers can learn... ;D

Offline robi

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2013, 09:27:12 AM »
I definitely see both sides of the fence.  sometimes my trips will be all about where I can get away to where the flights and hotels are available on points, and sometimes it'll be about the fight in business
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, then loved for who I'm not"

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2013, 09:56:42 AM »
We've changed you?
See? Even older grasshoppers can learn... ;D
Yes. I hope I helped some of you with the other side of the coin.
"Elvis Has Left The Building"

Offline damaxer91

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2013, 10:12:59 AM »
For me its:

1) Hotel
2A) Destination
2B) Flights

When going on Vacation, I will usually identify a couple of really nice resorts (or hotels) and plan from there. As much as I love flying Intl F, I sleep most of the time and have basically run out of new options so its not as big of a deal anymore. That being said, If I cannot get there in F (or a nice C) I will probably not go.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2013, 10:26:57 AM »
For me its:

1) Hotel
2A) Destination
2B) Flights

When going on Vacation, I will usually identify a couple of really nice resorts (or hotels) and plan from there. As much as I love flying Intl F, I sleep most of the time and have basically run out of new options so its not as big of a deal anymore. That being said, If I cannot get there in F (or a nice C) I will probably not go.

2 points:

one, I think your last line contradicts your order of preference, because if you pick an awesome destination but then realize it's not served by a good F/J product, you're back to square one picking a new destination, so it would seem that airlines/airplane is m'akev.

Two, the fact that you've already flown them all (most?) makes a difference I think.

Offline aussiebochur

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2013, 10:28:00 AM »
I try to evenly weigh the destination, the airlines/aircraft, and the hotels.
And then theres the food ;)

Offline damaxer91

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2013, 10:33:08 AM »
2 points:

one, I think your last line contradicts your order of preference, because if you pick an awesome destination but then realize it's not served by a good F/J product, you're back to square one picking a new destination, so it would seem that airlines/airplane is m'akev.

Two, the fact that you've already flown them all (most?) makes a difference I think.

Pretty much all destinations are served by a passable C or F product. Issue is availability and here are ways to work that out as well. So I've never bumped into that issue yet
And then theres the food ;)

Pomegranate food tastes the same in MLE as it does in GRU :)

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2013, 10:34:12 AM »
I hear you, but don't agree.
Firstly, since I can't eat the food, it seems to lose most of the panache that the TRs always show.
Secondly, Lucky just had a good post on this, in first class, he often finds himself trying to stay awake in order to appreciate the service, and luxury, and food, etc. In biz, he tries to sleep so he's well rested. And that seems to be as important.
Thirdly, I'd rather have the monetary value of the diff btw biz and first. That'll pay for my food, or rent, or s/t else.

But I do need to say that until I flew biz last year, I had never realized what a difference it makes. It basically makes the flight part of the vacation experience, and not part of the schlepping experience that it usually is on long-hauls. So it added on 2 days to my vacation.

1. A valid gripe that I have no way around other than to say bring your own gourmet kosher meal which some airlines will heat up for you.

2. I enjoyed that post and I think he's right. But I think you overlook something I mention above and which I believe he touched on: fly international F on flights that are ~10 hours plus and you can both experience the service and the better bed.

3. Interesting thought but for the additional premium in miles on some routes is almost negligible. For me, I'd rather have an "experience" (which is what international F is) than to have a coupe hundred extra dollars for rent.

Your last pt is also important - like I said - don't knock it till you try it :)

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2013, 10:38:32 AM »
Pretty much all destinations are served by a passable C or F product. Issue is availability and here are ways to work that out as well. So I've never bumped into that issue yet
Pomegranate food tastes the same in MLE as it does in GRU :)

See passable doesn't cut it for me (and perhaps does for you based on my second point to you above).

If I currently have the chance to fly to Thailand in SQ F or Hawaii on UA F, I'm picking Thailand because, while both are on the bucket list, the former is served by SQ F while the latter is not.

Hope that makes sense.

Offline MEIR613

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2013, 10:50:36 AM »
See passable doesn't cut it for me (and perhaps does for you based on my second point to you above).

If I currently have the chance to fly to Thailand in SQ F or Hawaii on UA F, I'm picking Thailand because, while both are on the bucket list, the former is served by SQ F while the latter is not.

Hope that makes sense.
It also depends what you have time for. You picked the former because of SQ F or because since you have that time you rather go to Thailand since in general it's more of an experience than Hawaii. Hawaii is alot closer and easier to do, so you would rather something harder first then the easier one.

What I mean to say is, lets say SQ F flies to Hawaii and UA F flies to Thailand would you still take the former?

Offline Name Changed

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2013, 10:52:41 AM »
But when you have more points than time (as I do), then it makes sense to begin thinking like I think, I guess.
Why?

You could sell the points, why do you restrict yourself to using your points for flight.