Author Topic: About the Journey, not the Destination?  (Read 9996 times)

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Re: About the Journey, not the Destination?
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2013, 10:53:18 AM »
I'd hit SQ F to Hawaii first.

But Thailand would remain high on my bucket list.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2013, 10:58:21 AM »
Why?

You could sell the points, why do you restrict yourself to using your points for flight.

I could. But the extra few thousand bucks I'd get from selling isn't going to make a meaningful difference in my life, baruch HaShem.

Instead, I'd rather have enough points at ready disposal to jet off in international F whenever And wherever i get the chance.

It doesn't hurt my analysis that my wife loves traveling as well.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline damaxer91

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2013, 10:59:47 AM »
See passable doesn't cut it for me (and perhaps does for you based on my second point to you above).

If I currently have the chance to fly to Thailand in SQ F or Hawaii on UA F, I'm picking Thailand because, while both are on the bucket list, the former is served by SQ F while the latter is not.

Hope that makes sense.

If I had to fly UA C to Paris and stay at the George V or take SQ F to FRA and stay the Westin, I'd go with UA C. So it works both ways I guess

Offline MEIR613

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2013, 11:00:54 AM »
Why?

You could sell the points, why do you restrict yourself to using your points for flight.
He's really jewish, he wants to get the most for his money, even if it doesn't mean actual $$.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2013, 11:15:51 AM »
He's really jewish, he wants to get the most for his money, even if it doesn't mean actual $$.

-1, on pretty much every assertion in there: 1) perpetuating the money-hungry stereotype of Jews, and 2) that's not my rationale, which I stated above...

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2013, 11:20:21 AM »
If I had to fly UA C to Paris and stay at the George V or take SQ F to FRA and stay the Westin, I'd go with UA C. So it works both ways I guess

Hmmm... I guess I feel somewhat the same. When faced with choosing between BOB and MLE, if I had to fly TN J but got an OWB, or EY F and got a beach villa, there is no doubt in my mind I'd have picked TN+OWB.

But that may be because I've long had a desire to stay in an OWB.

Offline Name Changed

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2013, 11:24:52 AM »
@AJK - I understand your point.

I am coming from my point of view - that I don't have the time to travel too often, I keep a pretty stash of points, but I sell most.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2013, 11:48:07 AM »
@AJK - I understand your point.

I am coming from my point of view - that I don't have the time to travel too often, I keep a pretty stash of points, but I sell most.

For sure -- perspective is paramount.

Also, I'm sure my viewpoint will change with the coming of kinderlach, bshaah tova.

Offline meshugener

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2013, 11:58:49 AM »
Your actions might change, but not your viewpoint.
Desires remain the same...
#FromExperience
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 12:03:34 PM by meshugener »
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline MEIR613

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2013, 12:01:05 PM »
-1, on pretty much every assertion in there: 1) perpetuating the money-hungry stereotype of Jews, and 2) that's not my rationale, which I stated above...
I left out a ;)

I don't mean to say your money hungry, rather you want to get the most for your dollar, which is not a money hungry thing, just normal.

Offline damaxer91

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2013, 12:03:33 PM »
For sure -- perspective is paramount.

Also, I'm sure my viewpoint will change with the coming of kinderlach, bshaah tova.

IMYH.

Very different W/O Kids. When I first got married there was a RTW special in Business Class using El Al/Qantas for $2799++. We took a 6 week trip and haven't turned back since

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2013, 12:06:44 PM »
Your actions might change, but not your viewpoint.
Desires remain the same...
#FromExperience

Ha, perhaps.

However, whether my desires remain the same (which are what they regardless of children) is irrelevant to my whether my viewpoint and perspective (which would take into account children) remain the same.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2013, 12:07:34 PM »
I left out a ;)

I don't mean to say your money hungry, rather you want to get the most for your dollar, which is not a money hungry thing, just normal.

Fair enough.

I certainly do want to get the most bank for my buck, all things being equal, (dont we all?)

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2013, 12:08:41 PM »
IMYH.

Very different W/O Kids. When I first got married there was a RTW special in Business Class using El Al/Qantas for $2799++. We took a 6 week trip and haven't turned back since

Thank you.

Yeah, that's another reason I wanna get the ultra-long-haul destinations "out of the way" because I presume it's easier to fly shorter distances than farther...

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2013, 03:04:19 AM »
as i dont go on vacation, the preference for my trip is determined by: (in no particular order)

1. Location
2. Location
3. Location

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2013, 12:08:19 PM »
as i dont go on vacation, the preference for my trip is determined by: (in no particular order)

1. Location
2. Location
3. Location

Ha - is that a religious proscription?

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2013, 12:10:54 PM »
Ha - is that a religious proscription?
no, its because id rather tour an interesting city than laze out on a beach.

besides, with kids its not so possible to go on vacation

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2013, 12:17:37 PM »
no, its because id rather tour an interesting city than laze out on a beach.

besides, with kids its not so possible to go on vacation

I consider touring an interesting city to also be a vacation...

Right, I recall this discussion being had elsewhere. Can't comment!