Topic Wiki

yuneeq, ChaimMoskowitz, and sometimes a couple other members talk about some Canadian game.
« Last edited by jj1000 on May 17, 2017, 10:02:20 AM »

Author Topic: NHL Master Thread  (Read 429599 times)

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
Re: nhl
« Reply #1340 on: May 14, 2015, 10:28:44 PM »
I didn't say all of them are, but there are MANY bandwagonners. Back in the early 2000s and 2008-2010 when they weren't considered to be contenders, I barely knew any serious Rangers fans. Even this season, I barely know anyone that watched most of the regular season games (something that a passionate fan would do).

I hope we get way more bandwagoners, still not close to enough.

I grew up with Gretzky, Graves, Leetch, Messier, Nedved and lots and lots of disappointment.
I was too young to remember '94 well, and was old enough to grow up to overpaid, past their prime free agents like Lindros, Bure, Theo Fleury, and even Bobby Holik. I still remember listening to all the games as a kid, I had no clue what it meant to win!
Visibly Jewish

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: May 15, 2015, 12:16:53 AM »
I didn't say all of them are, but there are MANY bandwagonners. Back in the early 2000s and 2008-2010 when they weren't considered to be contenders, I barely knew any serious Rangers fans. Even this season, I barely know anyone that watched most of the regular season games (something that a passionate fan would do).
There's not much else to talk about in Montreal. Can't say the same about NY. That combined with the fact that hockey is overall not as popular as the other sports, and the non die hards only pay attention when the playoffs to shooting and the rangers have a shot. Hence what I meant when I said they won't be talking about the rangers in 2 months.

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: May 15, 2015, 12:27:48 AM »
There's not much else to talk about in Montreal. Can't say the same about NY. That combined with the fact that hockey is overall not as popular as the other sports, and the non die hards only pay attention when the playoffs to shooting and the rangers have a shot. Hence what I meant when I said they won't be talking about the rangers in 2 months.

The Rangers are #7 on the radio priority list, after the Jets, Giants, Yankees, Mets, Knicks, and Nets.
Heck, even ESPN NY doesn't have the Rangers on the front page after big wins when no one else is playing, and they also have tabs for every team besides the Rangers.
There's absolutely no coverage, heck I think the Patriots, Cavs and the Eagles get more coverage than the Rangers throughout the year, its embarrassing...

So many NYers missing out on the golden era of hockey in NY...
Visibly Jewish

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: May 15, 2015, 12:47:25 AM »
Hence what I meant when I said they won't be talking about the rangers in 2 months.

Unfortunately for me, when I said that I'm moving to NY for the summer, my summer starts on Sunday. So just in time for the gloating.

The Rangers are #7 on the radio priority list, after the Jets, Giants, Yankees, Mets, Knicks, and Nets.
Heck, even ESPN NY doesn't have the Rangers on the front page after big wins when no one else is playing, and they also have tabs for every team besides the Rangers.
There's absolutely no coverage, heck I think the Patriots, Cavs and the Eagles get more coverage than the Rangers throughout the year, its embarrassing...

I agree, the lack of attention that ESPN gives to the NHL pisses me off.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: May 15, 2015, 12:59:32 AM »
They are getting more each year. You are also seeing more games on national TV each year. It takes time. Just be thankful we are not soccer.  :)
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: May 15, 2015, 01:08:32 AM »
They are getting more each year. You are also seeing more games on national TV each year. It takes time. Just be thankful we are not soccer.  :)

I bought NHL Gamecenter because I need to watch every game. And have a little trick on how not to pay the full $160 for it ;)

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: May 15, 2015, 01:58:46 AM »
I bought NHL Gamecenter because I need to watch every game. And have a little trick on how not to pay the full $160 for it ;)

I have a little trick (not the $100 Russian trick or whoever you're using) and I pay $0 a year to watch any game.
Visibly Jewish

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: May 15, 2015, 02:25:31 AM »
Maybe hockey isn't so doomed after all.

New York and Washington both delivered their best NHL ratings ever on @NBCSN with a 9.3 and 7.9, respectively (https://twitter.com/NBCSportsPR/status/598848807091187712?s=17)

Excluding Stanley Cup Final gms, last nighs 2.30 overnight was 3rd-best ever for NHL gm on @NBCSN & best ever for NBCSN gm in east time zone (https://twitter.com/NBCSportsPR/status/598848699381510144?s=17)
Visibly Jewish

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: May 15, 2015, 08:08:24 AM »
You guys are hilarious. ESPN is a business. They choose what to broadcast based on what will make them the most money, not because they don't like a particular sport. I'll grant you that to a very limited extent there's an element of chicken-or-the-egg here, but don't blame ESPN, blame the public for not watching what's out there already more often.

Offline Sport

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: May 15, 2015, 08:26:51 AM »
You guys are hilarious. ESPN is a business. They choose what to broadcast based on what will make them the most money, not because they don't like a particular sport. I'll grant you that to a very limited extent there's an element of chicken-or-the-egg here, but don't blame ESPN, blame the public for not watching what's out there already more often.
ESPN is a self promoting business. I agree they are a business but their decision to ignore hockey is not based on whats popular but what they can self promote.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #1350 on: May 15, 2015, 08:30:26 AM »
ESPN is a self promoting business. I agree they are a business but their decision to ignore hockey is not based on whats popular but what they can self promote.
What does that even mean? Are you saying that they could make more money by investing in their NHL programming instead of some other things, and consciously choose not to because... because of what exactly?

Offline elit

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: May 15, 2015, 08:35:18 AM »
Yes they are a business but they are very agenda driven and push what they have contacts with regardless if that's what more people will watch. The amount of soccer coverage they have its way more than the interest but since they have s countract with the premier league they push it s people watch it

Offline Sport

• View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: May 15, 2015, 08:38:02 AM »
What does that even mean? Are you saying that they could make more money by investing in their NHL programming instead of some other things, and consciously choose not to because... because of what exactly?
I'm not talking about why they didnt invest in hockey- I b dont know why, it could be multiple reasons. My point is, once they aren't invested in hockey they ignore it as if its hardly a sport because they cant use it to promote their broadcasts.

Offline Sport

• View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: May 15, 2015, 08:39:52 AM »
Yes they are a business but they are very agenda driven and push what they have contacts with regardless if that's what more people will watch. The amount of soccer coverage they have its way more than the interest but since they have s countract with the premier league they push it s people watch it
Exactly.. Its a classic case of "wag the dog".

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #1354 on: May 15, 2015, 09:54:38 AM »

Start doing a Google search for "why doesn't ESPN cover" and you'll see that it is not just naive little children on DDF - but everyone knows ESPN doesn't give hockey the coverage it deserves (by virtue of its popularity), and far more people than just CS91 are pissed off about it. We all realize that they are a business driven by profits, and so it pays for them to cover the sports they have broadcast rights to and stand to make more money from. Which is why almost every criticism of ESPN specifically excludes their website and print media - because that's not about TV rights and therefore gets the amount of coverage it deserves.

Even as a playoff-season-only fan without a TV, I'm well aware of the ESPN bias against hockey. EVERYONE is aware of it.

Offline damaxer91

• View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: May 15, 2015, 10:05:25 AM »
\

The Nets??? Nobody is behind the Nets

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #1356 on: May 15, 2015, 10:07:26 AM »

They say the sport doesn't translate well on TV. I don't buy that it's that bad on TV that it warrants 2% of coverage on Sportscenter. Tebow's toenails have gotten more coverage the entire NHL for last decade combined.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: May 15, 2015, 10:18:39 AM »
This thread is all over the place.

Offline Sport

• View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: May 15, 2015, 10:38:09 AM »
This thread is all over the place.
That's what happens when theres no games for a few days. #withdrawal

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: May 15, 2015, 10:41:42 AM »
How about some picks. First games I will go with the underdogs in both.