Topic Wiki

yuneeq, ChaimMoskowitz, and sometimes a couple other members talk about some Canadian game.
« Last edited by jj1000 on May 17, 2017, 10:02:20 AM »

Author Topic: NHL Master Thread  (Read 423391 times)

Offline dpk4588

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
Re: NHL Master Thread
« Reply #2940 on: January 22, 2020, 10:14:17 AM »
Interesting thing happened in the isles/rangers game last night. At 12:39 of the 3rd Scott Mayfield got called for spearing Brendan Lemieux. He got a double minor, but I was looking at the rules, and rule 62.2 says a double major if no contact is made, and 62.3 says a major for a player who spears (it doesnt say anything about making contact, so I'm assuming it means if contact is made contrasting it to rule 62.2). Here's where it gets interesting. Lemieux falls as a result of the spearing, I couldn't tell if he actually made contact or not (from the replay it looks like he did), but if he did, it should have been a major on Mayfield, if he missed, Lemieux should have been called for embellishment, because I'm pretty sure that would be the definition of taking a dive if you fall from some attempting to spear you and missing. Thoughts?

https://twitter.com/HeresYourReplay/status/1219808375678160896
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
-Albert Einstein

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #2941 on: January 22, 2020, 10:29:43 AM »
He flinched and fell down.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline dpk4588

• View Profile
« Reply #2942 on: January 22, 2020, 10:43:09 AM »
He flinched and fell down.
Maybe I'm biased because I'm an isles fan, but I thought it looked like a dive before I saw the replay, and the replay made it look even worse.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
-Albert Einstein

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #2943 on: January 22, 2020, 10:47:37 AM »
Either way the rule is stupid. No way is that a double minor. A crosscheck in the back is ten times worse than that tap.

Offline dpk4588

• View Profile
« Reply #2944 on: January 22, 2020, 11:02:26 AM »
Either way the rule is stupid. No way is that a double minor. A crosscheck in the back is ten times worse than that tap.
I agree. I was confused why they called a double minor, that's why I looked up the rule to see if it was required by rule, but now I'm more confused.
-Albert Einstein

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2945 on: January 22, 2020, 12:11:23 PM »

I can't disagree without first hand experience, but for whatever reason people consider spearing one of the dirtiest plays in hockey and is pretty rare while cross checking is pretty routine. So maybe it's for optics, but the league does not want to see spearing at all.
Visibly Jewish

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #2946 on: January 22, 2020, 12:14:38 PM »
I agree. I was confused why they called a double minor, that's why I looked up the rule to see if it was required by rule, but now I'm more confused.

You are correct by the rule book it was a major, 5 minutes and a game misconduct. And perhaps they could've called an embellishment as well even if he hit him, idk. But yes, that wasn't the right call.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Yonah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2947 on: January 22, 2020, 12:26:04 PM »
Necessary caveat - I am an isles fan, so please apply your grains of salt accordingly,

Some necessary context:
- Scott Mayfield isn't a dirty player, while Brendan Lemieux is known to have similar skill to his father in getting under people's skin.

This doesn't really seem like a spear at all - A spear is called when you essentially try to push your stick through an opponent like a nail or an ice pick. The motion by Mayfield here looks more like a slash, which makes it even more confusing. It also seems that Lemiuex embellished (look at the delay between the slash/spear and him falling down).

Isles/Rangers seem to bring a lot of weird NHL rules out, for example in addition to this oddity, I learned two more NHL rules over the last few games between the two:

- From last night's game - if you commit an icing, and the other team calls a timeout, you still need to put out all of the players that were on the ice for the icing. If not you get assessed a bench minor for a delay of game (happened to the Isles with 3:20 left in last night's game).

- From the game last Monday night (the first Isles/Rangers game): If a second fight occurs during the same stoppage of play, the players are given automatic game misconducts - this happened to Matt Martin and Brendan Smith on the ensuing faceoff after the Haley/Johnston fight.

Interesting thing happened in the isles/rangers game last night. At 12:39 of the 3rd Scott Mayfield got called for spearing Brendan Lemieux. He got a double minor, but I was looking at the rules, and rule 62.2 says a double major if no contact is made, and 62.3 says a major for a player who spears (it doesnt say anything about making contact, so I'm assuming it means if contact is made contrasting it to rule 62.2). Here's where it gets interesting. Lemieux falls as a result of the spearing, I couldn't tell if he actually made contact or not (from the replay it looks like he did), but if he did, it should have been a major on Mayfield, if he missed, Lemieux should have been called for embellishment, because I'm pretty sure that would be the definition of taking a dive if you fall from some attempting to spear you and missing. Thoughts?

https://twitter.com/HeresYourReplay/status/1219808375678160896

Offline dpk4588

• View Profile
« Reply #2948 on: January 22, 2020, 01:11:06 PM »
Scott Mayfield isn't a dirty player, while Brendan Lemieux is known to have similar skill to his father in getting under people's skin.
While I agree that Mayfield isn't a dirty player and Lemieux is known as an agitator, Mayfield should know better. Late in a game, up 4-0 after having had two tough losses to the Rangers last week and the blown lead in the 3rd vs the Caps on Sat, that's not a situation to take a dumb penalty. Also, after the play, right in front of the ref, there's no way they can't call something on that, regardless of who was involved.
This doesn't really seem like a spear at all - A spear is called when you essentially try to push your stick through an opponent like a nail or an ice pick. The motion by Mayfield here looks more like a slash, which makes it even more confusing. It also seems that Lemiuex embellished (look at the delay between the slash/spear and him falling down).
It looked like a textbook spear to me. The definition of a spear is literally "stabbing an opponent with the point of the stick blade," while this was more of a poke than a stab, it was pretty clearly a spear. But I agree that it looked embellished.
From last night's game - if you commit an icing, and the other team calls a timeout, you still need to put out all of the players that were on the ice for the icing. If not you get assessed a bench minor for a delay of game (happened to the Isles with 3:20 left in last night's game).
That wasn't exactly what happened. The isles iced it, so regardless of the Rangers having called time out, the 5 guys who were on the ice, need to stay on the ice. I don't remember exactly what happened, I think the Isles just sent one of the guys (I think Cizikas) out late and the refs thought it was a late change, so they sent him back, but then the refs realized it was after an icing so the original guys needed to be on the ice. They weren't given the delay of game for having the wrong personnel, it was more for not fixing the errors fast enough, it looked like they were trying to stall after an icing (which made no sense because they just had a timeout called by the Rangers). They'll sometimes give those delay of games when after multiple icings when a team is really tired, the team will play games, with equipment changes "oh I need a new stick and didn't realize for the last 15 seconds". This was different, I didn't think the isles were playing games, and I was pretty surprised, Wes McCauley of all people, called that. The whole situation was weird and it was a stupid penalty.
- From the game last Monday night (the first Isles/Rangers game): If a second fight occurs during the same stoppage of play, the players are given automatic game misconducts - this happened to Matt Martin and Brendan Smith on the ensuing faceoff after the Haley/Johnston fight.
They didn't really intend to. They waited to fight, the ref kinda faked them out on the faceoff, so they though he dropped it, so they started fighting, I think they were both making an effort to wait until the puck dropped.
-Albert Einstein

Offline Yonah

• View Profile
« Reply #2949 on: January 22, 2020, 01:24:24 PM »
While I agree that Mayfield isn't a dirty player and Lemieux is known as an agitator, Mayfield should know better. Late in a game, up 4-0 after having had two tough losses to the Rangers last week and the blown lead in the 3rd vs the Caps on Sat, that's not a situation to take a dumb penalty. Also, after the play, right in front of the ref, there's no way they can't call something on that, regardless of who was involved.
Can't argue with you there. It was definitely a stupid penalty.

It looked like a textbook spear to me. The definition of a spear is literally "stabbing an opponent with the point of the stick blade," while this was more of a poke than a stab, it was pretty clearly a spear. But I agree that it looked embellished.
:)
That wasn't exactly what happened. The isles iced it, so regardless of the Rangers having called time out, the 5 guys who were on the ice, need to stay on the ice. I don't remember exactly what happened, I think the Isles just sent one of the guys (I think Cizikas) out late and the refs thought it was a late change, so they sent him back, but then the refs realized it was after an icing so the original guys needed to be on the ice. They weren't given the delay of game for having the wrong personnel, it was more for not fixing the errors fast enough, it looked like they were trying to stall after an icing (which made no sense because they just had a timeout called by the Rangers). They'll sometimes give those delay of games when after multiple icings when a team is really tired, the team will play games, with equipment changes "oh I need a new stick and didn't realize for the last 15 seconds". This was different, I didn't think the isles were playing games, and I was pretty surprised, Wes McCauley of all people, called that.
I don't have cable anymore, so I was listening to the game. Chris King didn't know what was going on at first, and Trotz was livid. The explaination on the radio was that the Isles put out the wrong personnel. My assumption was that they were confused since it was after a timeout. I'll take your word for it.

The whole situation was weird and it was a stupid penalty.They didn't really intend to. They waited to fight, the ref kinda faked them out on the faceoff, so they though he dropped it, so they started fighting, I think they were both making an effort to wait until the puck dropped.
I was actually at that game, and at first, it had seemed that the puck was dropped and then they started fighting. I think after the Johnston / Haley fight, the refs wanted to send a message.

Offline dpk4588

• View Profile
« Reply #2950 on: January 22, 2020, 02:01:46 PM »
I was actually at that game, and at first, it had seemed that the puck was dropped and then they started fighting. I think after the Johnston / Haley fight, the refs wanted to send a message.
I'm not sure it was as much about sending a message as I think that's one of those rules where they can't not call it, like a puck out of play from the d-zone.
-Albert Einstein

Offline Yonah

• View Profile
« Reply #2951 on: January 22, 2020, 03:19:35 PM »
I'm not sure it was as much about sending a message as I think that's one of those rules where they can't not call it, like a puck out of play from the d-zone.

Yes, but had they dropped the puck, it would've been a different situation - i.e. had the clock started ticking

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #2952 on: January 22, 2020, 10:52:07 PM »
Yes, but had they dropped the puck, it would've been a different situation - i.e. had the clock started ticking

But they didn't, hence the automatic game misconduct.
If the clock is ticking then it's just a 5 minute major.
Visibly Jewish

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #2953 on: February 02, 2020, 08:34:32 AM »

Offline dpk4588

• View Profile
« Reply #2954 on: February 24, 2020, 06:50:30 PM »
How was this thread dead today?!

Who were today's biggest winners/losers?

I think the Isles overpaid for JGP but it was a hole they badly needed to fill. By joining the team, he became the team leader in goals and 3rd in points.

The Metro had moves all over the place and I think it's gonna be even tougher than it already was.

Vegas got Lehner for a steal and that will help since Fleury hasn't been himself this year.

If Anthanasiou plays with McDavid that line will be so tough to stop, so much speed and stick skills.

I didn't really get why the Devils and Sabres made a deal. They're two teams who couldn't be much further from the playoffs.

The Canes picking up Vatanen & Skjei was huge because of the loss of Dougie Hamilton.

Two funny things:
https://twitter.com/dimfilipovic/status/1231751464885735424

Why you don't pee on trade deadline day
-Albert Einstein

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #2955 on: February 24, 2020, 11:55:15 PM »
I'm really glad the Rangers got rid of Skjei. Didn't think they would be able to unload his 5.25m cap hit (4 years left) for a bag of pucks, but they got a 1st rounder out of it. Locked up Kreider at a slight discount, but still will be overpaid in final years, which makes sense. Overall, Kreider made sense but only because Skjei is gone, and that frees up space to extend Tony DeAngelo and others.

The biggest loss of the day was Igor getting injured in a car accident, that man is pure fire. He could single handedly drag the Rangers to a playoff spot. Now I'm not so sure about our chances. Stats - 9-1 with .940 save %. And no he's not a Cinderalla story or a fluke, he's put up insane stats in every level he's played in, he was expected to be great, and he easily passes the eye test.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Yonah

• View Profile
« Reply #2956 on: February 25, 2020, 09:03:36 AM »
I should've been here yesterday too, but I was too busy refereshing twitter :)

I'm really glad the Rangers got rid of Skjei. Didn't think they would be able to unload his 5.25m cap hit (4 years left) for a bag of pucks, but they got a 1st rounder out of it. Locked up Kreider at a slight discount, but still will be overpaid in final years, which makes sense. Overall, Kreider made sense but only because Skjei is gone, and that frees up space to extend Tony DeAngelo and others.

The biggest loss of the day was Igor getting injured in a car accident, that man is pure fire. He could single handedly drag the Rangers to a playoff spot. Now I'm not so sure about our chances. Stats - 9-1 with .940 save %. And no he's not a Cinderalla story or a fluke, he's put up insane stats in every level he's played in, he was expected to be great, and he easily passes the eye test.
Even as an Isles fan, I have to say that I think that the Rangers were one of yesterday's winners. I love that they locked up Kreider at a reasonable number, and it would just be odd to see him playing somewhere else. I also think that for the second year in a row, Gorton got the rangers paid well for moving an asset who may not be in the rangers long-term plans.

Sucks about Shestorkin - happily the accident wasn't worse. Based on JD's statement, I'd imagine he's out for most of the rest of the season, and if they're out of it in 2-3 weeks, I can't imagine they'd rush him back.

How was this thread dead today?!

Who were today's biggest winners/losers?
Time will tell - one thing's for certain, given all of the moves, in the Metro - Isles, Pens, Flyers, Canes - all think that they have a shot at making a run.
I think as sellers the Rangers and Senators won big (although the Rangers aren't classic sellers).
One Buyer who I think won big is Edmonton.

I think the Isles overpaid for JGP but it was a hole they badly needed to fill. By joining the team, he became the team leader in goals and 3rd in points.
I think Lou knew he'd get the extension with Pageau in paying what he did. Framed as a First and a Second to get Pageau locked up for 5 years, it doesn't seem as high of a price as it did for a rental.

The Metro had moves all over the place and I think it's gonna be even tougher than it already was.
I think everyone in the Metro (short of the Devils and Rangers) thinks they can win it all. I think that the Rangers are playing with house money - I think that they like where this team is going, and maybe they can squeak in.

Vegas got Lehner for a steal and that will help since Fleury hasn't been himself this year.
... and not only that, they somehow got Toronto to eat some of Lehner's salary cap hit.

If Anthanasiou plays with McDavid that line will be so tough to stop, so much speed and stick skills.
Speed out the Yin-Yang. Don't let them get behind your defense.

I didn't really get why the Devils and Sabres made a deal. They're two teams who couldn't be much further from the playoffs.
Didn't get that one either.
The Canes picking up Vatanen & Skjei was huge because of the loss of Dougie Hamilton.
As of this morning:
There is only 8 points separating the Caps (#1) and the Canes (#6). While the rangers are 10 points behind the Pens at #2, they are only 4 behind CAR, and 6 behind the Isles and Jackets. It's going to be a dogfight.  I think it will also be a dogfight between Toronto and Florida for that last spot in the Atlantic, because both of them have 3-4 teams to beat to get to the second wildcard.

Two funny things:
https://twitter.com/dimfilipovic/status/1231751464885735424

Why you don't pee on trade deadline day

Nick Alberga was hysterical all day long on twitter. And Robin Lehner poked fun of Toronto getting his cap money in the most Isles twitter fashion:
https://twitter.com/RobinLehner/status/1232121425147973632

Offline Dawie

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
Visibly Jewish

Offline dpk4588

• View Profile
« Reply #2959 on: July 28, 2020, 09:28:51 PM »
Who else is excited about the return of the NHL?

I thought the Pens/Flyers game was a great game (with a gorgeous GWG in OT). Watching the Leafs/Habs it doesn't seem as good, neither team looks good, but the Leafs definitely look significantly better than the Habs. The Habs are the worst team in the playoff tournament (by point % and points) so it's not so surprising.

Which qualifier match up are you most looking forward to?
-Albert Einstein