Topic Wiki

In CLT, Chabad is the only Minyan, and it has daily Shacharis that's called for 6:30AM but practically doesn't start till 6:40AM. Mincha/Maariv is at Shkia. It's a 5 minute drive from there to Gleiberman's, the only Kosher grocery/restaurant in town. It's open every night, and closes around 7:30PM (at least this was in April before Pesach), which worked out well for getting some dinner and then going to Mincha/Maariv. Food was surprisingly reasonably priced for being out of town and was on the whole very good. You'll need to be patient with ordering and getting food unless you feel comfortable getting up and finding the waiter in the grocery and pushing things along, etc (which didn't seem to bother them). For $25, they delivered a week's worth of lunch meals pre-wrapped for oven warming to the hotel I was staying at for work. Jeff Gleiberman is a sweetheart who really tries hard to keep his store afloat and genuinely seems like he's doing it to help the community and guests. - @Yehuda
« Last edited by @Yehuda on June 02, 2016, 09:52:50 AM »

Author Topic: North Carolina Master Thread  (Read 7053 times)

Offline Goldmine

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
North Carolina Master Thread
« on: June 15, 2010, 12:48:49 AM »
do you know how many frum families live there, are there kosher eateries, a minyan daily etc.?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 11:14:46 PM by Dan »

Offline aussiebochur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
Re: charlotte, north carolina
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 02:01:13 AM »
do you know how many frum families live there, are there kosher eateries, a minyan daily etc.?
Chabad Charlotte , give them a call.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 40K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16441
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime Plat, DL Dirt, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, National EE, Hertz PC
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 05:47:44 AM »
I was several times in CLT, but only on the inside of the airport.
Is it just me, or the ratio of people getting special assistance is out of proportion? Big time?!

Offline jack12

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
  • Programs: National Emerald Club Executive Elite, Hertz #1 Club Gold Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 09:01:43 AM »
I was several times in CLT, but only on the inside of the airport.
Is it just me, or the ratio of people getting special assistance is out of proportion? Big time?!

I noticed the same thing!

Offline @Yehuda

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: Charlotte Master Thread
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 03:06:22 AM »
Okay... Things to do for 1/2 day in CLT... and go!

Offline Mountain Man

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 05:28:44 PM »
Going to be in CLT for a week on a business trip in a month or so. Anyone have suggestions on Kosher food or cool things to do in the evenings after work? Has anyone ever been to Gleiberman's, is the hechsher good, is the food good? Thanks.
Quote from: JTZ link=topic=10531.msg1695873
If you never had to eat crow then you lived one boring life.

Offline aarony

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2015, 05:56:49 PM »

Offline Mountain Man

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2015, 06:08:13 PM »
you can try this:

https://www.carowinds.com/swarm/dive-into-the-fury

Unfortunately won't work on a business trip. Though it would be an incentive to get that Cedar Fair pass.
Quote from: JTZ link=topic=10531.msg1695873
If you never had to eat crow then you lived one boring life.

Offline EJB

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2015, 06:38:38 PM »
Going to be in CLT for a week on a business trip in a month or so. Anyone have suggestions on Kosher food or cool things to do in the evenings after work? Has anyone ever been to Gleiberman's, is the hechsher good, is the food good? Thanks.

Spent 2 weeks in CLT before pesach. Gliebermans is the only kosher place around. Assuming you'll be staying downtown, it's a $12 uber or 20 minute drive from downtown. PM me if you have more questions.

Online Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 40
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2015, 03:11:06 AM »
Trip Report

Contrary to my usual trip reports, this one will be short and sweet :D. All it really covers is three hours in Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

On Pesach of 2013, my 8-year-old nephew stole my afikomen and wouldn't return it unless I promised to take him on a trip somewhere. Nothing worked out during that summer, so a couple of days before Sukkos I jumped on AA.com to see what's available for 4.5k Avios. Both RDU and CLT had availability. Seeing that Great Smoky Mountains National Park is just a couple of hours away from CLT, I grabbed the tickets.

My nephew had never been on a plane before, so we decided not to tell him where we're going and have it be a surprise. The expression on his face was priceless when we showed up to LGA ;D. And even better, there was an issue with the jetbridge and so boarding was done from the tarmac. He was ecstatic.

Climb-out from LGA:

GW Bridge:

We landed in CLT, picked up a brand-new Yukon form the Executive Aisle for ~$30 a day, and headed to our Home Away rental in Maggie Valley. The place was small but just what we needed, and around 45 minutes from Great Smoky Mountains National Park. The front porch was perfect for our pop-up sukkah:

The Milky Way overhead:

Alas this was only a quick test shot; by the time I was set up for some nicer pictures clouds had moved in and obscured the stars completely.

The next morning I woke my nephew at five so that we could go see sunrise over the Smokies; my wife was smart enough to stay in bed and let us go without her ;D.

The road to the park is the famous and spectacular Blue Ridge Parkway, which connects Shenandoah Nation Park in Virginia to the Smokies. In the dark there wasn't much to see other than some cool tunnels through the mountains:

After a bit we entered the park and headed to Morton Overlook. I had selected this spot because I knew that the sun will be coming up in the perfect position to light up the endless layered valleys visible from here. It was freezing cold while we waited, but after a while the sky started getting lighter and the endless mountains were revealed:

Finally the sun came up and bathed the scene in an otherworldly light. This was one of the most spectacular sunrises I have ever witnessed:

Once the show was over, we headed over to Clingmans Dome, which is the highest point in the park and straddles North Carolina and Tennessee. The views were fantastic, but the beautiful sunrise light was fading and the harsh morning light was taking over. It was a lovely place, nonetheless:

The summit itself was still wraped in the quick-rising fog that give these mountains their name, so we didn't venture higher than the parking lot.

The "smoke" rising:

Enjoying the view:

Heading back down we came across some elk:

As well as some people doing drive-by iPad photography ::):

Driving was magical, with the sun filtering thought the trees and fog:

Once we were back at the cabin we ate and packed up. We then spent some time "mining" at the Elijah Mountain Gem Mine, where the kids had a blast and made a royal mess in the sluice boxes.

Beauty can be found everywhere. This is in the back or a random gas station in NC, behind the dumpsters and all that, but you'd never know. We spent some time taking portraits here and came away with some lovely shots:

All too soon it was back at the airport:

All in all this was a short and sweet Chol Hamoed trip. We didn't end up doing much really (day one mainly involved getting lost in the boonies with a defective GPS), but we still had a great time. The Smokies are definitely underrated here on DDF; I think it makes a perfect two or three day getaway from NY. They truly are spectacular.

And my nephew definitely got the coolest afikomen present ever ;D.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 05:20:45 PM by Something Fishy »
Check out all my Trip Reports here!

Offline VacationLover

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2015, 03:17:49 AM »
Nice. I knew you can take photos anywhere and make them beautiful
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 03:22:48 AM by VacationLover »

Offline Joe4007

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2015, 05:06:56 AM »
Awesome. Thanks for the write up.

Offline ChAiM'l

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2015, 05:30:13 AM »
Great stuff!

Offline sammy n

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2015, 06:29:58 AM »
Nice!! I wouldn't mind being your nephew!!