Author Topic: United Canceled My Flight  (Read 2575 times)

Offline TAVI

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
United Canceled My Flight
« on: February 10, 2013, 12:41:20 AM »
So i was scheduled to fly back from HKG to EWR on Feb 10 (sunday), departing 11:25am and arriving 1:55pm NY time. on Saturday evening (HK time), i randomly logged into my account as i wanted to give my dad  the flight number so he could pick us up from the airport (it was a last leg of a long 2 week trip in Asia).

we had 2 non-stop United business/first tickets booked using US Airways miles. after logging into my account, i saw that i was now booked to fly out on Feb 11, with 3 connection in SFO and IAH, and in economy class of course. This must be a  joke right? NOPE. furthermore, i received no notice from United any any such changes.

First i was surprised they cancelled the flight as i was following the weather report, and the storm was supposed to be over by Sat, and my flight was  leaving on Sun. also, my inlaws were flight on Sat from lax to jfk, and their flights were not cancelled, thus i didn't expect ours would be cancelled.

i guess, i just want to vent, and  although i know that many people on  here love  United, my experience with them has been horrible to say the least.

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
Re: United Canceled My Flight
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 12:46:23 AM »
So i was scheduled to fly back from HKG to EWR on Feb 10 (sunday), departing 11:25am and arriving 1:55pm NY time. on Saturday evening (HK time), i randomly logged into my account as i wanted to give my dad  the flight number so he could pick us up from the airport (it was a last leg of a long 2 week trip in Asia).

we had 2 non-stop United business/first tickets booked using US Airways miles. after logging into my account, i saw that i was now booked to fly out on Feb 11, with 3 connection in SFO and IAH, and in economy class of course. This must be a  joke right? NOPE. furthermore, i received no notice from United any any such changes.

First i was surprised they cancelled the flight as i was following the weather report, and the storm was supposed to be over by Sat, and my flight was  leaving on Sun. also, my inlaws were flight on Sat from lax to jfk, and their flights were not cancelled, thus i didn't expect ours would be cancelled.

i guess, i just want to vent, and  although i know that many people on  here love  United, my experience with them has been horrible to say the least.

My parents just did jfk-tlv on dl Saturday night. There's no reason at all that you shouldnt be able to fly there direct.

I feel your pain.
Visibly Jewish

Offline daganster

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 01:00:11 AM »
Did you try and call them ?

Offline TAVI

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 01:04:17 AM »
My parents just did jfk-tlv on dl Saturday night. There's no reason at all that you shouldnt be able to fly there direct.

I feel your pain.

i know, it doesn't make much sense to me either. the flight was on sunday, but they cancelled it anyways, and of  course they are claiming that it is due to weather affect. its BS. anyways, i went to the airport and had them change the ridiculous routing they assigned us to just one connection via SFO. flying SQ business from hkg andthen UA domestic business from SFO to JFK. even this, i had to run around like crazy because "their preference" was to put me on a united flight, which they only had economy seats on. I told them to "welll you knpw what".

but still, i believe they should compensate me for the fact that they canceled the flight even though:
a. both airports are fully operating during the original scheduled tme.
b. failed to notify me of the change.
c. booked me on economy seats with 2 connections instead of a direct business first flight. which i had to spend considerable effort to adjust not counting the phone bill i will get for making international calls from my cell. 
d. even the solution was a connecting flight with part of  it in domestic business class, instead of a direct flight in a fully lie flat business / first product.

Am i wrong to assume that i should  be compensated  for this inconvenience?

thanks

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 01:14:34 AM »
i know, it doesn't make much sense to me either. the flight was on sunday, but they cancelled it anyways, and of  course they are claiming that it is due to weather affect. its BS. anyways, i went to the airport and had them change the ridiculous routing they assigned us to just one connection via SFO. flying SQ business from hkg andthen UA domestic business from SFO to JFK. even this, i had to run around like crazy because "their preference" was to put me on a united flight, which they only had economy seats on. I told them to "welll you knpw what".

but still, i believe they should compensate me for the fact that they canceled the flight even though:
c. booked me on economy seats with 2 connections instead of a direct business first flight. which i had to spend considerable effort to adjust not counting the phone bill i will get for making international calls from my cell. 
d. even the solution was a connecting flight with part of  it in domestic business class, instead of a direct flight in a fully lie flat business / first product.

thanks

You definitely aren't wrong for assuming that you deserve compensation.

At this point you should be asking the experts here how to receive the best compensation you can get.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 01:25:03 AM »
Of course it's due to weather.  They can't make planes appear in HKG out of thin air, the same plane going to EWR has to come from EWR.
As your inbound aircraft's flight from EWR-HKG was canceled on Friday your flight was scrubbed as well.

Are you sure you didn't get an email? You may have a minor claim for that issue.

Otherwise enjoy SQ, it's far superior to UA.  Just bring some food along and SQ will be happy to warm in up and keep extra food in the fridge for you.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Side incomer

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 01:27:11 AM »
Of course it's due to weather.  They can't make planes appear in HKG out of thin air, the same plane going to EWR has to come from EWR.
As your inbound aircraft's flight from EWR-HKG was canceled on Friday your flight was scrubbed as well.

Are you sure you didn't get an email? You may have a minor claim for that issue.

Otherwise enjoy SQ, it's far superior to UA.  Just bring some food along and SQ will be happy to warm in up and keep extra food in the fridge for you.
Plus enjoy the miles you'll be earning from flying with SQ. I'm pretty sure they put on a full fare J class (Vs. UA I).
Side income is the most solid income... בדוק ומנוסה

Offline damaxer91

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 01:00:02 PM »

thanks

Dude, don't complain. You got SQ!

Offline TAVI

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 08:13:42 AM »
Well, SQ business from HKG to SFO was indeed awesome, and i was able to get an upgrade from UA Biz to UA first from SFO to JFK too after some insistance.

But have to still say the UA sucks, and their global first was honestly nothing to write home about as the plane seemed it was 30 years old (can't believe they were acting like its such a priveledge to have me put in first class). i flew 11 business segments in the past 15 days (to, from, and within Asia) and the 2 flights i had on UA metal were by far the worst ever. 1 was from NRT to HKG, which i couldn't believe since its one of the most traveleld business routes in asia, where the business seats didn't even have a foot rest and were seperated from economy by a curtain, lol.

in contrast, flying business on Thai was awesome. they served full meals even on inner thai flights like from CNX to BKK, which surprisingly was on a 747 with full lie flat seats.

anyways, neither me or my wife got an email informing us about cancellation, but luckily i was able to note the change and  get on a normal flight. i loved the fact though that the airport agents said they would prefer me to fly on united even tho they didn't have any business class seats from HKG for 2 days after my original departure date, unbelievable. i would hate to think how someone else would  fare in a similar situation, like someone who doesn't know to search alternative airlines and would  just take the reps word  for it (like my parents for example).

thanks for these forum i waseducated and knowledgable enough to find a  better solution and avoid an ending from hell to an otherwise fun trip.

Offline SavingsBigtime

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 12:18:26 PM »
Can we get a trip report ?

Offline TAVI

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 01:19:53 PM »
Can we get a trip report ?

sure, will try to write one by end of the week.

Though not sure which thread should i include it in given that our trip covered Tokyo, HK, and Thailand. should i just start a new thread?