Author Topic: New computer. Buy vs build  (Read 3814 times)

Offline Name Changed

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
Re: New computer. Buy vs build
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2013, 03:19:00 PM »
At the end of the day, it really depends what you want to use the computer for and what your budget is.

Custom built computers originally were cheaper, now its always more expensive and has warranty issues. They are fun to put together when they work, however very often especially with high-end motherboards their are many firmware issues and compatibility issues. You have to do proper research and make sure you have all the right components. Once that's done, the actual building and assembly of the PC is fun.
Be prepared to have a budget in mind and figure out what takes precedent and whats a higher priority for example if you want to spend $1000 you have to decide if you want a more expensive motherboard, better ram, better psu etc.  You can spend $50 on a graphics card or $500.
+1

I have seem really high end custom built machines ($4000 range) that had many issues.

Offline RJ898

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2013, 03:57:43 PM »
So in summery, it seems the best thing to do is buy something decent and upgrade it myself.
Part of the vast right wing conspiracy.

Offline Name Changed

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2013, 04:19:42 PM »
So in summery, it seems the best thing to do is buy something decent and upgrade it myself.
Yup

Offline outsider

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Capital One Enthusiast
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2013, 09:03:17 PM »
Unless you need to custom outfit your box with liquid cooling I would recommend just buying a brand name PC.
It's what is on the outside that matters