Author Topic: Flying with an infant on a first class award ticket?  (Read 15227 times)

Offline YOSEF

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
Re: Flying with an infant on a first class award ticket?
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2010, 08:57:07 PM »
Best advice, when your kid screams in business or First, just walk back to Economy and wait there till he is quiet again  :-) :-)

I'm a little confused here.
The issue of a screaming child is an issue in whichever class, from economy all the way up; I often think to myself "Why didn't they just drive?" when hearing a screaming child on a flight; "Don't they know how many people they are annoying?"
However, airlines have not yet set regulations on the conduct expected from a child in any class.  It would seem fair then, that no matter the class one is in, that until the airline has a certain policy, that it be tolerated by the other passengers.  Just because someone bought an economy ticket, does not take away his right to the same sleep as Mr. $10K paid ticket.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 09:11:22 PM by YOSEF »

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2010, 09:07:01 PM »
firstly, what a ridiculous comment. drive? are you kidding me? secondly, yes if you pay more youre entitled

Offline YOSEF

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2010, 09:08:11 PM »
firstly, what a ridiculous comment. drive? are you kidding me? secondly, yes if you pay more youre entitled
I realize that. I was just pointing out it annoys EVERYONE.

And until the airline says you are more entitled, then no you aren't.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 09:10:52 PM by YOSEF »

Offline Yordai Dooma

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA EXP/LT Platinum, SPG gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE,
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2010, 10:28:02 PM »
I realize that. I was just pointing out it annoys EVERYONE.

And until the airline says you are more entitled, then no you aren't.

I hesitated to reply to your ridiculousness. Then i realized you are probably not married and more than likely not older than 20 and are completely clueless. If you are, you may have some serious issues.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2010, 10:32:20 PM »
People pay thousands of dollars for the sleep, peace, and quiet that First class provides.
There's obviously a difference between bringing a baby there and a baby in coach.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline YOSEF

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2010, 11:11:07 PM »
I hesitated to reply to your ridiculousness. Then i realized you are probably not married and more than likely not older than 20 and are completely clueless. If you are, you may have some serious issues.
While I appreciate your response, it seems that I'm being a little misunderstood from the general reaction.

What I was trying to say, and maybe I didn't say it clearly enough, was that I'm sure we can all agree that a screaming baby is never appreciated by anyone.  Being a disturbed passenger, I have previously thought, "why don't they drive?"- in a fleeting thought; a quite selfish one. I don't actually think that small children should be banned from air travel (thats more then a little outrageous), and obviously neither do the airlines. As such, now we have to evaluate whats one's rights/responsibilities are when flying.

Therefore, I was basically putting out there the fact that everyone pays for the seat, and what does the airline allow/expect?  They haven't come out with a policy on any of the discussed topics, and until then, if one wants to fly with a baby in first, maybe its breaking an unwritten rule, but it is allowed.

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2010, 11:22:35 PM »
we all know its allowed, were only discussing the unwritten rule

Offline YOSEF

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2010, 11:24:44 PM »

Has anyone ever asked an airline?
(modified: has anyone ever asked an airline if you could bring a child in a higher class?)

If they say yes, is it still wrong?
(modified: is it still wrong because of the "unwritten rule"?)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 12:13:37 AM by YOSEF »

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2010, 11:32:30 PM »
figure out what you want to say, then present a cohesive articulated comment

Offline Yordai Dooma

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA EXP/LT Platinum, SPG gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE,
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2010, 11:36:38 PM »

I actually have asked airlines.

i even asked them what they thought about me bringing a toddler in business class.
Her response? "I get it all the time! Everyone does it."

And of course a screaming baby is not appreciate by anyone. But guess what, thats part of life. Babies cry, things break, people die, these are all parts of life. And drive? What kind of nonsense is that? Want to know who should drive? Those who cant deal with traveling with others via public transportation! If you dont like being together with other humans when you travel, charter a plane, take a train, or drive yourself. How about the guy next to you eating that smelly salami sandwich? How annoying is that? Should we make a rule that you cant eat on planes?

Yosef, im really curious...but how old are you?

Offline YOSEF

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2010, 11:43:36 PM »

i even asked them what they thought about me bringing a toddler in business class.

And of course a screaming baby is not appreciate by anyone. But guess what, thats part of life. Babies cry, things break, people die, these are all parts of life. And drive? What kind of nonsense is that? Want to know who should drive? Those who cant deal with traveling with others via public transportation! If you dont like being together with other humans when you travel, charter a plane, take a train, or drive yourself. How about the guy next to you eating that smelly salami sandwich? How annoying is that? Should we make a rule that you cant eat on planes?

I still think you missed my point about the driving.  Im not actually saying that they should!!!  All I'm trying to say is that I had it as a fleeting thought, and realized it was unreasonable, much like one may think for a fraction of a second that the guy eating his Romanian salami sandwich shouldn't be allowed if its going to smell up the whole plane, but I realized after that split second that its part of life; my point was is that its annoying to everyone, albeit part of life.  I get that, and I thought I spelled it out before a little better.

Offline moshegold

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2010, 11:51:39 PM »
I know that on BA when you fly on a mileage ticket (doesnt make a difference first, business or coach) & you want to bring a baby, they charge you 10% of the amount of miles that you used

Offline YOSEF

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2010, 12:11:46 AM »

I think I realize what was misunderstood.  When I asked if anyone had asked the airlines, I was refering to bringing a child into first/business, not on the plane; thats a given, I understand your disgust if thats how it was understood.  I apologize for not being clear, and I modified that post.

I was refering to the "unwritten rule" and perhaps clearing it by the airline, and even if they said you could bring a child into first, is that still wrong to do.

Are we good?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 12:14:46 AM by YOSEF »

Offline Yordai Dooma

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2010, 12:58:54 AM »
I think I realize what was misunderstood.  When I asked if anyone had asked the airlines, I was refering to bringing a child into first/business, not on the plane; thats a given, I understand your disgust if thats how it was understood.  I apologize for not being clear, and I modified that post.

I was refering to the "unwritten rule" and perhaps clearing it by the airline, and even if they said you could bring a child into first, is that still wrong to do.

Are we good?

No misunderstanding. I asked them specifically regarding bringing a toddler in first/business.

I would leave to hear from you in a few years when you have a few kids Iy'h and hear your thoughts then. In fact, i can guarantee you will be thinking back to this.

Offline YOSEF

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2010, 01:00:08 AM »
No misunderstanding. I asked them specifically regarding bringing a toddler in first/business.

I would leave to hear from you in a few years when you have a few kids Iy'h and hear your thoughts then. In fact, i can guarantee you will be thinking back to this.
amen

I still don't understand what I said that upset you so much, assuming we are on the same page...
can you please enlighten me as to my backward mindset? (without going too hard on me)

Offline aussiebochur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2010, 01:06:52 AM »
In fact, i can guarantee you will be thinking back to this.
If not we could always remind him. I know this really cool way to search Google. ;)

Offline YOSEF

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2010, 01:09:38 AM »
thanks for the love aussie

Offline aussiebochur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2010, 01:25:26 AM »
thanks for the love aussie
No worries mate.

Offline chuchem

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2010, 08:42:47 AM »
There is 2 points here:

1.) The airline allows it. Do you think thats right?

2.) Even trhough its allowed is it the right thing to do?

1- I dont think its right. A first Class Ticket can cost 15000 USD. If I pay this, what do i pay it for? To have quiet, to be able to sleep and enjoy it. If a baby is screaming, then this is not what i paid for. You will not bring a baby to a movie or a opera, even through its natural if it cries and that is life! So I think its wrong for the airline to allow it. If they advertise a good nights sleep on a plane, they have to make sure I get it for that money.

2- Now thats allowed, you are not doing anything wrong by bringing it. If you have a kid, that makes no noise then fine. If its a kid thats nervous and not quiet I personally think its wrong. Imagine you paid that amount of money to fly and sleep, have meetings after arrival. You would be pissed as well

Offline kivabb

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2010, 10:55:48 AM »
Flying with an infant and booking a Star Alliance ticket through US Air and flying Swiss one way business to TLV and returning business on CO, who decides my 10% fare? US Air? or is it 10% of Swiss one way business and one was CO business?