Author Topic: Share your funniest/craziest/scariest/most memorable FLIGHTS here  (Read 15371 times)

Offline Achas Veachas

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
Inspired by the similar thread on memorable drives, I couldn't find one about flights so here goes. i'm sure many of us have had some pretty interesting experiences while flying so lets share them...

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
Re: Share your funniest/craziest/scariest/most memorable FLIGHTS here
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 08:39:23 AM »
I'll start, there are 3 flights that come to mind, I'll add more as I remember them:

One of them has got to be the flight from KTM to LUA. Tekes the cake for scariest plane, flight, landing and the return flight for the scariest take off.

Another scary landing was back when I was a Bochur, I don't remember which airport this happened in, but I had a window seat and was watching the ground getting closer and closer, we were already over the runway not more that 30 feet off the ground when suddenly the engines revved up, the plane jerked forward and we took off. A few minutes later the captain got on the PA and announced that due to a mistake "by the control tower", we overshot and would not have enough runway to land on, so we made a circle and landed again.

The third one goes under memorable: it was just after 9/11 when people were too scared to fly. i took a United flight with a friend. There were 7 people on that plane including the crew (pilot, co-pilot, flight attendant and air marshal do the math as to how many passengers were there other than me and my friend). As we were coming in for landing at LGA I took a window seat. i used to love that landing because you fly along Manhattan island and get an awesome view of the skyline from the top. This time however we saw the column of smoke (this was 3 weeksafter 9/11).

Offline L'Chaim

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 10:06:42 AM »
Another scary landing was back when I was a Bochur, I don't remember which airport this happened in, but I had a window seat and was watching the ground getting closer and closer, we were already over the runway not more that 30 feet off the ground when suddenly the engines revved up, the plane jerked forward and we took off. A few minutes later the captain got on the PA and announced that due to a mistake "by the control tower", we overshot and would not have enough runway to land on, so we made a circle and landed again.
+1, I had exactly the same story.

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 10:09:24 AM »
+1, I had exactly the same story.

Happens often enough.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline yehuda S

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 10:29:02 AM »
Here's a few:

- Soon after 9/11  took a last minute one way flight from Jacksonville, FL to Miami. Trouble was that I had bought some fireworks in South Carolina, the biggest one (a bundle of big gray sticks) which I had left in my carry on by mistake. I was totally oblivious until the TSA agent put on gloves, reached into the bag and pulled into. I felt my insides wilt - but I made the flight!

-I recently spent a direct flight to Israel behind a 61/2 foot Israeli drag queen/ prostitute (couldn't tell).

- On a flight to Miami the rowdy kids behind me poured apple juice all over me while I was asleep. The mother did not seem to care.

-I once got to the airport check in and the agent looked at the ticket and said "this is for next week! Ouch.
Work is what you do between vacations.

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 10:46:41 AM »
I flew once Swiss, and the KSML was good.

Offline RoboJam

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Silver, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 10:47:33 AM »
As a bochur was once coming back home LHR-JFK with my friend, we were running late to the airport and came to the desk too late to book seats together so we each got seats on different ends of the plane....
Im lugging my carry on and searching for my seat... if i remember correctly it was way back, in the middle seat, no aisle, no window, SUCKED!
Im starting to unload my stuff when this girl sitting next to me, pipes up:
"Can you please help me and my friend"
"She REALLY wants to sit next to me, i was hoping you could agree to switch seats with her"
I nod "sure why not", im thinking, anything would be better than this crappy seat..
Then comes the bombshell, wait for it...
"She has a seat in First Class but she'd rather come sit next to me....your sure you dont mind?"
All i could muster was a sarcastic: "uuuum i dont know.....maybe.... i have to think... FOR SURE ILL TAKE IT"
The rest as you all know was a dream come true... From the free Bose QC headphones to the First Class fruit platters and Kosher food... THE BEDS... A DREAM COME TRUE 
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 10:57:42 AM by RoboJam »
It may be that my sole purpose in life is to serve as a bad example

Offline Yaalili

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 10:56:10 AM »
1) My worst flight experience was, when i was flying AC from NYC to YYZ. We were on the plane for around 4 hours sitting on the taxiway to the runway. - That is after the flight being delayed by 2 hours! -  And then they tell us, bad weather so we are returning to the gate, and will reboard etc.. - So thats right, 6 hours after scheduled boarding time we were right back in the terminal. Once we get back into the terminal, they take our boarding passes back and tell us that our flight was cancelled altogether, and to go rebook on other flights.

2) A cool landing that i once had, was when we landing in SFO parallel to another plane landing on the runway parallel to ours.

3) P.S. Probably the best airport experience i had was YTZ, if u were never there, u gotta see it.

Offline outsider

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Capital One Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 11:00:14 AM »
If one of the bochurim from the japan story would post his crazy flight his story will top everyone.
It's what is on the outside that matters

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 11:01:29 AM »
If one of the bochurim from the japan story would post his crazy flight his story will top everyone.

I'd buy that book.

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 11:02:58 AM »
As a bochur was once coming back home LHR-JFK with my friend, we were running late to the airport and came to the desk too late to book seats together so we each got seats on different ends of the plane....
Im lugging my carry on and searching for my seat... if i remember correctly it was way back, in the middle seat, no aisle, no window, SUCKED!
"She REALLY wants to sit next to me, i was hoping you could agree to switch seats with her"
I nod "sure why not", im thinking, anything would be better than this crappy seat..
"She has a seat in First Class but she'd rather come sit next to me....your sure you dont mind?"
All i could muster was a sarcastic: "uuuum i dont know.....maybe.... i have to think... FOR SURE ILL TAKE IT"
The rest as you all know was a dream come true... From the free Bose QC headphones to the First Class fruit platters and Kosher food... THE BEDS... A DREAM COME TRUE

Nice!

Offline RoboJam

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 11:05:45 AM »
Probably some spoiled teenager whos parents have a gazillon dollars but her social life was more important. Good for her (and me)!

Offline outsider

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Capital One Enthusiast
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 11:10:05 AM »
I'd buy that book.
Not a bad idea! this can cover their legal fees.
It's what is on the outside that matters

Offline Racer7400

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2013, 11:19:58 AM »
WOW!! My father had a similar story, but he doesn't read or post on DDF, so i'll do it for him. He was flying from Chicago to israel for a chasuna of a relative and was flying back 9 hours after he arrived. On the flight there he had a middle seat right next to a big chassidish guy and was thinking there goes my hope for getting any sleep whatsoever. Then some guy comes to my father and the chassidish guy and asks them if they want to move to business class as he and his wife get free upgrades and there children are in  coach. That in its self is cool, but its not over yet. On the return flight ELAL have him a free upgrade to business class after they realized that he arrived 9 hours ago.

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2013, 11:22:49 AM »
. On the return flight ELAL have him a free upgrade to business class after they realized that he arrived 9 hours ago.

Wow, that's really nice!

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2013, 01:04:59 PM »
My flight back from Nepal had 3 segments, KTM-DEL (2 hours), DEL-DXB (8 hours), DXB-JFK (15 hours). You can imagine I wasn't looking forward. As I was waiting online to get on the bus that would take us to our plane in KTM, the Nepali attendant pulled me out of the line and asked to see my boarding pass, i gave it to him and he went ahead and crossed out my set number re[lacing it with 3A (business class). While I should have been happy, I couldn't help but think "Great you couldnt do that to my DXB-JFK (EK A380) flight?

It ended up being a pretty pleasant flight though, I sat next to a monain climber who was on his way back from summiting Mount Everest.

Offline RoboJam

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2013, 01:07:51 PM »
My flight back from Nepal had 3 segments, KTM-DEL (2 hours), DEL-DXB (8 hours), DXB-JFK (15 hours). You can imagine I wasn't looking forward. As I was waiting online to get on the bus that would take us to our plane in KTM, the Nepali attendant pulled me out of the line and asked to see my boarding pass, i gave it to him and he went ahead and crossed out my set number re[lacing it with 3A (business class). While I should have been happy, I couldn't help but think "Great you couldnt do that to my DXB-JFK (EK A380) flight?

It ended up being a pretty pleasant flight though, I sat next to a monain climber who was on his way back from summiting Mount Everest.
So he started chatting about Mountain Climbing and you fell asleep instantly.
The End

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2013, 01:47:26 PM »
So he started chatting about Mountain Climbing and you fell asleep instantly.
The End
It was actually quite interesting...

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 20
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Rav Kav Platinum
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2013, 01:51:43 PM »
I sat next to a member of the Swedish Parliment for a flight. He was a priest and a member of Friends of Israel. We discussed Judaism the whole flight. was so interesting
Create professional looking itineraries.
Check out eliteitinerary.com

Offline U-no-me!

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2013, 01:59:40 PM »
I sat next to a member of the Swedish Parliment for a flight. He was a priest and a member of Friends of Israel. We discussed Judaism the whole flight. was so interesting

Was wondering about "genevan" parliament. Did you by any chance mean Swiss parliament?
Vote U-no-me '14!